Steam Community Market

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 20:48:09
    Community Market launches, able to sell items for real cash

While it's only for in-game crafted items at the moment, it could be an interesting step towards being able to resell Steam games - Valve taking a 15% cut would surely have them eyeing up and considering the option. It would be literally money from nothing, all they do is facilitate a license transfer and walk away with 15% of the transaction.

/eyes 500+ game account
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 20:50:08
    Hopefully they will add the option to sell on games.

I have a fuckload that i bought for half nothing in sales that i didn't play/thought were shite/didn't really want in the first place.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 22:13:40
    I hope this happens. If I get to the point where I can't get any more enjoyment out of a game because I've done/found everything, it would be nice to be able to get rid of it and get some money in return. Also if I get some game in a bundle but aren't all that interested in it, then money from that could go towards a better game. Also, if Steam go ahead with this, it will seriously hit shops like CEX etc. and will make them lower their prices.
  • oceanmotion 12 Dec 2012 22:21:56 15,641 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Would love to sell some games on even if it's just back to the publisher for a discount on other games. Hope this is a success and others follow Valve.

I'm guessing the prices for TF2 stuff will nosedive now.

Edited by oceanmotion at 22:23:06 12-12-2012
  • caligari 12 Dec 2012 22:35:18 16,986 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The option to simply 'gift' away games that you've already played would also be fantastic - but I can see why they wouldn't allow it. :(
  • Mr-Brett 12 Dec 2012 22:38:23 12,723 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just had a look through my TF2 stuff and only my crates are sellable and there is currently 49788 of them on there with a starting value of 0.02.

Portable view - Never forget.

• oceanmotion 12 Dec 2012 22:43:48 15,641 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only possible valuable stuff I seem to have is special event items from Halloween. Not able to sell but maybe just a glitch until it rolls out properly.

Digital trade ins of games must be the next logical step. If we are reinvesting money in publishers new games, even just a little, good idea surely.

Edited by oceanmotion at 22:44:26 12-12-2012
  • graysonavich 12 Dec 2012 23:01:03 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    WTB NEW HAT
  • Liniert 12 Dec 2012 23:03:54 8 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can only sell consumable items at the moment, hopefully this will change as i have a bunch of green crap i dont want as i dont really play TF2
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 23:04:40
    Hmm, been offered new games for my ear bud things in TF2, can finally make use of them.

Why does everyone want them anyway?
  • dsmx 13 Dec 2012 00:18:49 7,548 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    because they aren't common, they can't be crafted and there is a very limited supply of them. Strangely enough there's some weird rumours going around that they are used in money laundering.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 13 December 2012 01:00:04
    Wonder how much my long-since-sold Hat of Undeniable Wealth is worth now. I sold it for like, 140 quid or something retarded.
  • Trafford 13 Dec 2012 03:51:29 5,609 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Considering they sell games with up to 75% discounts in the sales, I doubt they will facilitate a 2nd game marketplace.

That idea goes against the whole underlying concept of Steam.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2012 04:20:41
    Word is that the massive sales are starting to hurt them a bit now, along with Humble Bundles. Why buy a game for $30 or more when you can wait until a holiday period (often sooner) and get it for $10, $5, possibly less? That's the way the market trends are shifting. If anything, Valve are going to end up better off scrapping the 75% sales and letting the market set its own budget prices in second-hand sales - they benefit either way. Probably moreso from second-hand sales, as it's literally money for nothing. All they need to do is transfer a license from one account to the other, something relatively simple and automatic, and take their cut of the transaction. All they need to do is setup a few key rules to stop exploitations (rules that they technically already have like regional restrictions, or not being able to sell keys registered from Humble Bundles and bought for pennies or similar) and they'd stand to make a fuck of a lot of money. The fact that you can only trade in for Steam Wallet cash which you can then only use on buying more games and things for Steam just works even more in their favour.

It's extremely feasible. Some DD stores already do it, such as Green Man Gaming. Apparently they've been able to subsidise new games at ridiculous prices (they had Skyrim for 7 quid recently, I believe, with coupon codes) off the back of their trade-in scheme, without suffering the same devaluation burn that's allegedly starting to affect Steam because of the offset. Some publishers won't have any of it, but it's easy enough to just exclude their games anyway.

Edited by meme at 04:21:35 13-12-2012
  • Trafford 13 Dec 2012 05:18:10 5,609 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Interesting times, I also have nearly 300 games on Steam & 100+ on XBLA.
    I'd consider selling my accounts but I like the idea of a games trunk.
  • Shikasama 13 Dec 2012 08:24:58 6,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Someone wants offered to buy the stuff I got from my Football Manager 2012 pre-order.

Seemed dodgy so I didn't do it
  • Liniert 13 Dec 2012 08:26:52 8 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Shikasama how much did they offer you? i want to do the same
  • Shikasama 13 Dec 2012 08:26:52 6,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also I imagine it would be incredibley difficult to sell your games on Steam really, unless you were literally willing to sell them on for pence.

You'd be one of millions of people with exactly the same product generally selling to people that know how much you bought it for.

Plus the majority of the games on a second hand marketplace would be those sub 3 quid wonders that no-one would be overly interested in buying anyway.

Though I would like to be able to gift games away.
  • TheSaint 13 Dec 2012 09:28:23 14,199 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally a pube free second hand market could be on the horizon.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next