TalkTalk Are Arseholes

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Doomspoon 9 Dec 2012 17:17:55 2,353 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lengthy rant ahoy.

Recently my grandfather on my mum's side, in his 90's has been put in a nursing home and my mum has been dealing with his affairs as best she can. One of the problems being ongoing phone and broadband from TalkTalk and her wanting it to be stopped. Understandably TalkTalk weren't eager to take any action without correct authorisation as they weren't dealing with my grandfather directly. My mum tried explaining that things are a bit awkward with his age, health and the fact that he's in a nursing home. Following a heated exchange on the phone she wrote to someone higher up in the company.

My dad also has a landline with TalkTalk. Note, under a completely different name and different address to that of my grandfather. Due to illness and being signed off full time work for over ten years I'm renting a room at my parents place and I pay for the O2 broadband here.

On Friday I got a couple of texts and emails from O2 stating that we've been informed BT are disconnecting your phone line, urgent action required. True enough yesterday, a neighbour called by saying she'd tried to call us several times during the day and couldn't due to us being disconnected. My broadband is still working as I type this.

I contacted O2 on Friday and explained that I suspected TalkTalk might have screwed up and disconnected us. Not much O2 can do on that one until TalkTalk reconnect us.

So my dad calls them and spends oven an hour saying the same thing over and over, then gets put on hold, connected to a different department, says the same thing over and over etc. TalkTalk won't release our number, my dad runs his business from this number that we've had for over 30 years. They're offering him a new contract and new number. My dad would then incur costs for new business cards and letterheads. He's facing loss of business due to our line being disconnected.

I was going to sign up with O2, anything to get us off TalkTalk but we're still not able to reclaim our number as TalkTalk won't "manage cease" it.

Part and parcel of the phone being disconnected is that I get my O2 broadband disconnected tomorrow and must return the router in 30 days. Thanks to TalkTalk being inept I face costs for this too.

I re-iterate at no point have we done anything to warrant having our landline disconnected.

Upon speaking again this afternoon to TalkTalk the guy at the call centre said "the line can be reconnected fairly quickly, it should be nine days time". They're missing the point here, it should be connected immediately. They shouldn't be trying to sell my dad another contract and I shouldn't have had my broadband disconnected because of their incompetence.

Ironic perhaps that the TalkTalk landline is solely in my dad's name and the initial comments that they were unable to disconnect my grandfather's account due to lack of authroisation from the account holder didn't hold true when they pulled the plug on my dad's account.

I'd like to email Ofcom tomorrow but won't be able to because I won't have broadband. I can't do anything further today as we can't get through to the TalkTalk seniors we need to.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 9 Dec 2012 17:32:46 553 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Having a problem with sky atm, not as bad as you're problem.
    Same shit about having to repeat yourself over and over and over again to customer services. I'm expecting a call in the next half hour from an engineer, apparently they have been monitoring my line for 24hrs.Wont hold my breath though.
    I just said if it's not fixed in 5 days I will go to my bank and cancel my direct debit for tv, phone and broadband, and that I don't care if I'm still under contract as they are not giving me the service I'm paying for.
    Will make me feel better even if it doesn't bother them in the slightest. Sky Cunts

Arsechickens

• drhcnip 9 Dec 2012 17:46:56 2,265 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ILoveThrashMetal

use this email

estenquiries@bskyb.com

gets you directly through to executive support team and you get allocated a top customer service rep rather than the front line fodder - used them twice recently - first for an issue my father had then for myself - action has been immediate, personalised and efficient

you don;t get anywhere with the monitoring line/call back situation

wish i could help with your situation, doomspoon....:(

Edited by drhcnip at 17:49:14 09-12-2012
  • ILoveThrashMetal 9 Dec 2012 18:22:08 553 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    @ILoveThrashMetal

use this email

estenquiries@bskyb.com

gets you directly through to executive support team and you get allocated a top customer service rep rather than the front line fodder - used them twice recently - first for an issue my father had then for myself - action has been immediate, personalised and efficient

you don;t get anywhere with the monitoring line/call back situation

wish i could help with your situation, doomspoon....:(
    You Sir are a fucking star! Cheers

Arsechickens

• nickthegun 9 Dec 2012 18:27:50 55,848 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How the hell did you try to cancel one land line and end up with your own getting cut off?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Doomspoon 9 Dec 2012 18:35:45 2,353 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    How the hell did you try to cancel one land line and end up with your own getting cut off?
    Because they're a bunch of incompetent pricks that can't tell their arses from their elbows and won't take any responsibility for their own fuck ups.

The part of the letter about my grandad's account, that was all in red text against the rest of the letter in black and white.

They're in no hurry to fix the issue meanwhile my dad's potentially losing business in a trade that hasn't been doing well this year.

We lose the internet I'm still paying on, as per the landline dad still pays for.

We've just got through a cancer scare with my mum, my grandad's rehousing and declining health, a suicide attempt from my brother, my sister in law's nervous breakdown and I'm signed off long term with PTSD and anxiety disorders. To say that this has added to the stress is an understatement.
  • Doomspoon 9 Dec 2012 19:41:20 2,353 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I should also mention that the letter mentioning my grandad's account was sent directly to TalkTalk CEO Dido Harding.

It seems if you want results it's worth going to the top of the chain. Not sure where to go if you don't want shit results though?
  • Steve_Perry 9 Dec 2012 20:14:02 2,443 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Worst isp I've ever come across. And I'm a former ntl customer.

Avoid like a Jimmy Saville under 14s charity event.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• jonsaan 9 Dec 2012 20:22:25 25,248 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One of my favorite bands of all time.

FCUTA!

• pistol 9 Dec 2012 21:42:53 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought you were talking about the 80's pop group
  • drhcnip 9 Dec 2012 22:05:44 2,265 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Doomspoon wrote:
    I should also mention that the letter mentioning my grandad's account was sent directly to TalkTalk CEO Dido Harding.

It seems if you want results it's worth going to the top of the chain. Not sure where to go if you don't want shit results though?
    this is exactly right - it's how i ended up with the sky executive email...i emailed the ceo of sky's office directly and the support team was in contact within hours in both cases

both issues sorted swiftly & hefty compensation to boot

better than wibbling around with the call centres for months
  • Doomspoon 9 Dec 2012 23:47:51 2,353 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just tried sending an email to her at a couple of addresses I found on the web, not entirely sure they're valid addresses but coupled with ranting on their forum too I'm hoping that at least one person there might take up the initiative of fixing things.
  • Trafford 10 Dec 2012 00:08:46 5,269 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    One of my favorite bands of all time.
    Yeah fantastic.
  • caligari 10 Dec 2012 01:54:35 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I totally feel your pain, man!

I started receiving debt collection letters thanks to a balls up at Talk Talk.

It took months of letters, phonecalls and E-mails to finally get it sorted out. All I received in compensation was a little bit of money off one of my monthly bills, but by then I was too drained to fight for more.

Annoyingly, they've been fine ever since. I'll be moving to a different company once this contract has expired, though.
  • Doomspoon 10 Dec 2012 10:28:02 2,353 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just got a response from the CEO after I emailed her lastnight, hopefully this is a good sign.
  • PearOfAnguish 10 Dec 2012 10:58:05 6,989 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even if it somehow gets sorted, you should submit an official complaint to the ombudsman, Otelo: http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html as well as Ofcom.

TalkTalk are a shower of cunts with notoriously awful customer service. Ofcom releases quarterly stats on things like complaints and TalkTalk is regularly the worst by far.
  • drhcnip 10 Dec 2012 11:01:03 2,265 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Doomspoon wrote:
    Just got a response from the CEO after I emailed her lastnight, hopefully this is a good sign.
    should do - this is what i did at sky and you have a totally different experience....
  • nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 11:10:29 55,848 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still dont understand how you got cut off.

He totally called it

• drhcnip 10 Dec 2012 11:26:39 2,265 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    these places are just useless and can't cope if someone contacts them representing something else - firts time i got onto sky, it was for my aging father's issue with his line and he just gets hopelessly confused speaking to peeps on the phone these days so i acted as representative...this alone took them a few weeks to get to grips with, then whenever i contacted them, even though it was his account number and the password he'd set up for me, they took all the action on my line...tits, the lot of them....
  • nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 11:30:58 55,848 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its for similar reasons that I always just pretend to be the person in question when I call someone up.

I used to work in managed IT services, so if I had to call up an ISP on behalf of a client, i would just pretend to be the person with the name on the bill.

Also, wrt talk talk, I moved recently and was tempted to go back to them because they are, frankly, the cheapest on the market by some distance. But then I remembered I got OFCOM involved the last time i was with them and got a two year contract cancelled after six months thanks to an absolutely appalling service (which is how I got my PS3, fact fans).

He totally called it

• Doomspoon 10 Dec 2012 11:53:41 2,353 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I still dont understand how you got cut off.
    It would seem that after my mum got on to the CEO requesting they bypass the usual security and just close my grandad's account, the details of which were in red text on the letter, some moron instead chose to just use the sender's address instead and close our account.

I love the way you say "you" like you're inferring it's in some part our fault. Do you work for TalkTalk perchance? This is precisely the attitude their call centre staff have.

Edit: Also, by choice I'd have the landline on O2 as per my broadband. My dad insisted on sticking with TalkTalk for the phoneline itself as it was his cheapest option, I never use the phone so when I was discussing the possible splitting of the O2 payments he had little inclination to spend an extra 7 a month on the phone. As soon as we can relinquish our number I will be going over to O2 just for the convenience of having everything under my name.

Edited by Doomspoon at 11:58:43 10-12-2012
  • Deleted user 10 December 2012 13:43:39
    Sounds like a perfectly reasonable mistake to make. Why would anyone other than the sender be asking to be cut off?

Careless but understandable.
  • nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 13:47:39 55,848 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doomspoon wrote:
    I love the way you say "you" like you're inferring it's in some part our fault. Do you work for TalkTalk perchance? This is precisely the attitude their call centre staff have.
    Could you direct me to a more acceptable pronoun please? This is the first time ive ever managed to infer meaning through the use of the word 'you', so im on shaky ground.

He totally called it

• graysonavich 10 Dec 2012 13:51:52 6,802 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't realise talktalk were an American company with a CEO
  • Doomspoon 10 Dec 2012 13:54:00 2,353 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right, because when dealing with the affairs of someone in their 90s that's just been put in a nursing home the first thing you do is make sure he sorts it all out himself.

Even by your logic, the account that got cut off isn't in my mum's name either and she didn't give any details pertaining to my dad's account here so they didn't have the sender's account details just the postal address. Also the bit at the top centre of the page in bright red should have been a clue.

Careless? Bloody stupid more like.
  • mrpon 10 Dec 2012 13:56:32 27,643 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh deary me, what a pickle you're in.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 14:10:06 55,848 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    your going to have to post a copy of the letter to allow us to pass judgement

He totally called it

• Deleted user 10 December 2012 14:19:25
    Doomspoon wrote:
    Right, because when dealing with the affairs of someone in their 90s that's just been put in a nursing home the first thing you do is make sure he sorts it all out himself.

Even by your logic, the account that got cut off isn't in my mum's name either and she didn't give any details pertaining to my dad's account here so they didn't have the sender's account details just the postal address. Also the bit at the top centre of the page in bright red should have been a clue.

Careless? Bloody stupid more like.
    How many letters, as a percentage, do you think are sent by people for relatives who can't do it themselves? And then how many of those don't make it incredibly clear what the account details, address etc are?

You're very quick to call someone who made a mistake while under a lot of pressure stupid but did you make it easy for them?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Dec 2012 14:26:53 36,275 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Give him a break guys. This kind of thing isn't unheard of, and ribbing him about it isn't going to help his stress levels any.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous