Steambox - Valve's console Page 28

• Page

of 28 First / Last

Next
  • Phattso 18 Dec 2013 03:30:36 18,242 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    But that was the same argument used to justify not supporting the tiny number of Mac gamers, and over the years that stance has also changed to the point where it's (sort of, a bit almost) viable to game on a Mac exclusively.
  • DrStrangelove 18 Dec 2013 03:50:06 8,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Chopsen

I don't think they'll make noteworthy use of the Steam controller. They'll make games for XBox and Playstation controllers, and care even less about the Steam controller than about mouse+key.
  • Widge Moderator 18 Dec 2013 11:14:11 13,841 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just want a front room PC gaming environment, front end for net and media, that is better than Windows 8 is currently.

Anything involving Win 8 desktop is just an immediate NO. I have to set the scaling to 165%, sometimes windows don't display on the screen (biggest crimes are ones that render to a certain size, not allowing resizing or movement, and all the buttons are off the screen - mods in particular), sometimes the toolbar appears in fullscreen videos. It's not good. The only saving grace is Netflix via the Metro screen.

HAS to be something that is viewable from feet away. This is where I want SteamOS to come in. Right now, the games I play are Windows ones, so moving across is not an option. There are plenty in my catalogue that are Linux though, and I could move across to use them. Think I'll wait for the official release though.
  • Widge Moderator 18 Dec 2013 11:15:53 13,841 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @Chopsen

I don't think they'll make noteworthy use of the Steam controller. They'll make games for XBox and Playstation controllers, and care even less about the Steam controller than about mouse+key.
    Steam Controller (for me) is a legacy thing. Or for all those games that will require a mouse to get the most out of.

Planetside 2, Mass Effect series, Elder Scrolls Oblivion... all require me to have a kerfuffle of a KB&M setup right now. Could see other games being much more fun to play with a steampad. The other half could dive into Sims, Civ 5 becomes a reality.
  • twelveways 21 Dec 2013 04:12:15 6,247 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have they mentioned if the controller will work on Windows? I am coloured very interested about the controller, not going to shell out on a steambox though as my computer is good enough for me.
  • WrongShui 21 Dec 2013 11:46:00 6,712 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I just want a front room PC gaming environment, front end for net and media, that is better than Windows 8 is currently.

Anything involving Win 8 desktop is just an immediate NO. I have to set the scaling to 165%, sometimes windows don't display on the screen (biggest crimes are ones that render to a certain size, not allowing resizing or movement, and all the buttons are off the screen - mods in particular), sometimes the toolbar appears in fullscreen videos. It's not good. The only saving grace is Netflix via the Metro screen.

HAS to be something that is viewable from feet away. This is where I want SteamOS to come in. Right now, the games I play are Windows ones, so moving across is not an option. There are plenty in my catalogue that are Linux though, and I could move across to use them. Think I'll wait for the official release though.
    You can turn off font scaling on programs in their properties chum.
  • fletch7100 6 Jan 2014 03:03:46 8,345 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    3rd Parties who are allowed to make their version of the SteamBox

Alienware, Falcon Northwest, iBuyPower, CyberPowerPC, Origin PC, Gigabyte, Materiel.net, Webhallen
  • richarddavies 11 Nov 2015 13:36:22 5,253 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's an article on the front page about a few of these being out now in the UK. I'm not too down with the kids though with this sort of stuff and I'm trying to work it out. Is it basically a pc with a different name or is it noticeably/functionally different?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 11 Nov 2015 13:42:43 4,008 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    There's an article on the front page about a few of these being out now in the UK. I'm not too down with the kids though with this sort of stuff and I'm trying to work it out. Is it basically a pc with a different name or is it noticeably/functionally different?
    It is just a PC in a potentially fancy case called a Steambox, and running SteamOS.
  • richarddavies 11 Nov 2015 13:44:56 5,253 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really? So you could just buy/make a pc and put it in any box you want then stick it in your telly and use steam on it?

Hmm I don't see how that's gonna fly, the only people that are into steam and pc's enough are the people that are gonna know that anyway?
  • chopsen 11 Nov 2015 13:54:21 18,200 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it's all a bit pointless really.

Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, Gabe Newell threw a tantrum because he thought windows 8 and it's app store would mean wintel boxes becoming a walled garden that would undermine the business model for steam (which earns Valve a tidy sum).

It wasn't and it didn't.

However, that tantrum put a load of things in motion that have been very gradual to come to fruition. Bit like the turning circle on a large boat, it was too late to change course once it started and now here we are. A solution that nobody needs to a problem that never existed.

Edited by chopsen at 13:54:43 11-11-2015
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 11 Nov 2015 16:00:22 86,494 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The boxes are basically laptops as well. More powerful than consoles and around the same price, but they're not upgradeable.
  • Gremmoo 11 Nov 2015 16:08:10 2,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have an Alienware Alpha (before it became a Steambox), and for what I paid for it, I'm very happy. But that's with Windows rather than the useless SteamOS. I did throw in 16GB RAM and an SSD too.
  • jellytotzuk 11 Nov 2015 16:53:38 26 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Gremmoo Same as me, I got a very generous discount on the i5 version 8gb version. I've only upgraded it with an SSD, i will do the ram eventually.

The thing is tiny and the performance is better than my XB1 and PS4. Granted I'm not going to get 1080p 60fps on the Witcher 3, but sure to get rock solid 30fps in nearly all games. Except Ark the early access dinosaur game which seems like an optimisation issue rather than hardware - game runs like treacle.

Hive UI is pretty nifty too, they've done a good job of modding Kodi with allowing us to do our own changes too. Steam controller is my next purchase though!
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 18 Nov 2015 13:41:21 86,494 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A professional review for the pointless junk.

• Page

of 28 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.