Steambox - Valve's console Page 22

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• tumbletoss 27 Sep 2013 23:50:23 16,030 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The former.

But it's a trojan horse for a really expensive controller where all the R&D went. Valve saw how everybody was playing their games with xbox controllers and thought they wanted some of that.
  • Kostabi 27 Sep 2013 23:53:12 4,932 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With any luck it might encourage Sony to release some proper PC drivers for their new pad.
  • Pinky_Floyd 28 Sep 2013 00:01:34 7,906 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    At last, Valve have placed paddles under the pad where your fingers naturally rest.  Cant believe its taken this long to do that.  Was chatting with a friend about this the other day. 

/applauds

Dying to try those haptic pads.  Bet they are shit, but they must be experienced.
  • DFawkes 28 Sep 2013 00:19:09 22,987 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The trackpads sort of remind me of the thumbpads on my Xperia Play, and those feel surprisingly intuitive. I really like the idea of 2 big ones like those with haptic feedback and other buttons. It's certainly different. It'll be great when we can read the opinions of people that use it.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• JiveHound 28 Sep 2013 00:29:57 2,448 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gotta say I really want to give that controller a go. Could be awesome.

Could also quite easily be shite.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 28 September 2013 01:08:22
    Chopsen wrote:
    The former.

But it's a trojan horse for a really expensive controller where all the R&D went. Valve saw how everybody was playing their games with xbox controllers and thought they wanted some of that.
    And then forgot to add the dpad.
  • L0cky 28 Sep 2013 01:22:28 1,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can have a dpad on one of the touchpads.

It's all going to depend on the execution really, but I'm willing to give it a go.
  • disusedgenius 28 Sep 2013 01:23:58 5,338 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I certainly fancy giving one a try, it has that 'so crazy it might just work' kinda vibe to it.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2013 01:40:32
    L0cky wrote:
    You can have a dpad on one of the touchpads.

It's all going to depend on the execution really, but I'm willing to give it a go.
    Not sure about the dpad on the trackpads. I read that the trackpads are clickable but nothing about a dpad. And if it were clickable in 8 directions minus the down click, then they'd need to add dimples for touch.

Edited by DOOMologist at 01:41:20 28-09-2013
  • tumbletoss 28 Sep 2013 01:43:59 16,030 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Depends how tactile the touchpads actually are.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/201195/Select_game_developers_used_the_Steam_Controller_Heres_what_they_said.php

So possible if the tactile is quite sophisticated. It sounds a bit like the MS arc mouse thingy. There's an entirely flat surface for a middle mouse button that gives tactile feedback as it's really a wheel. If that can work well enough on a circular pad to make your brain think it's using individual keys, then that could actually be a really cool thing.

However, it could also be really shit. And if it's really stupidly expensive then it doesn't matter.

Edited by Chopsen at 01:51:11 28-09-2013
  • tumbletoss 28 Sep 2013 01:48:18 16,030 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    As good as this sounds, someone needs to combat the age-old issue of needing to have a keyboard on the sofa in order to play certain games. I'd love to play FTL from the comfort of my sofa but there's no comfortable way to sit with a keyboard and a mouse.
    Not really seeing the wood for the trees there
    Quite the opposite it turns out. This is exactly the problem they've spent the most resources trying to solve.
  • twelveways 28 Sep 2013 04:25:45 4,024 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it should work with Windows, not just with the Steambox, I imagine you would have to run the game through Steam though.

The more I look at this controller, the more I want one. You can see from the picture where the guy is holding it that it appears to be quite a bit smaller than the 360 controller.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2013 10:33:02
    Tommy Refenes (he of Team Meat) shares his thoughts on Valve's pad after being invited by Valve to play Super Meat Boy with it: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TommyRefenes/20130928/201219/My_time_with_the_Steam_Controller.php

He does mention that he and the engineers were talking about adding little nubs to the trackpads for button location. Overall he thinks it's a good controller that needs some improvements.
  • oceanmotion 28 Sep 2013 11:05:54 15,959 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Excellent, I wanted them to announce a controller.

Very different though and if actually good will take some getting use to. I found going between the Dual Shock and 360 was a bit of a test for the muscle memory, this will be something else.

Interesting times ahead. I remain sceptical for now.
  • grey_matters 28 Sep 2013 11:26:13 3,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They make hardware but you don't have to choose their version.
    They make an OS but you don't have to choose their version.
    They make a controller but you don't have to choose their version.

It's pretty open for a closed system. If Origin etc are released on Linux to avail of the improved install base and drivers, you don't even have to play Steam games.

Very likely to be the first "console" I buy (well, build) since the PS2.
  • DodgyPast 28 Sep 2013 18:02:16 8,475 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Will see how it pans out.

Might make enough extra games doable / better vs. a controller to be worth buying.
  • YenRug 30 Sep 2013 10:23:01 2,205 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spoilered to spare everyone's eyes and mind.

Avoid below here>

If it's not showing for you and you really, REALLY, want to see it:

http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20130930-3a879.gif

Edited by YenRug at 10:27:38 30-09-2013
  • Telepathic.Geometry 30 Sep 2013 10:33:02 11,334 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh heh, nice!

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Widge Moderator 30 Sep 2013 10:43:33 13,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    As good as this sounds, someone needs to combat the age-old issue of needing to have a keyboard on the sofa in order to play certain games. I'd love to play FTL from the comfort of my sofa but there's no comfortable way to sit with a keyboard and a mouse.
    Not really seeing the wood for the trees there
    Quite the opposite it turns out. This is exactly the problem they've spent the most resources trying to solve.
    I wonder if they will add controller profiles to certain games. A bit irritating how you can't go and play Oblivion or the Mass Effects without needing keys.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• tumbletoss 30 Sep 2013 12:14:42 16,030 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can see it acting like a programmable input device. I'd imagine it'd be programmable from within SteamOS to trigger specific kb/mouse inputs on specific controller presses. Bit like the X Arcade stick or the fancier flight sticks. Maybe macro functions too.

The default could easily be that the left haptic dooda will by default map to WASD and the right will map to mouse movements. Some of the buttons will be mouse clicks and ctr/space. That would cover a load of stuff right out the box without much faff.

Would be trivial to make community generated pre-programmed controller scheme available for specific games as well, if they wanted to.
  • Trowel 4 Oct 2013 22:56:38 17,784 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prototype specs:

So for our own first prototype Steam Machine ( the one we're shipping to 300 Steam users ), we've chosen to build something special. The prototype machine is a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts. It is also fully upgradable, allowing any user to swap out the GPU, hard drive, CPU, even the motherboard if you really want to. Apart from the custom enclosure, anyone can go and build exactly the same machine by shopping for components and assembling it themselves. And we expect that at least a few people will do just that. (We'll also share the source CAD files for our enclosure, in case people want to replicate it as well.)

And to be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users. It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase - those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package. Many others would opt for machines that have been more carefully designed to cost less, or to be tiny, or super quiet, and there will be Steam Machines that fit those descriptions.

Here are the specifications for Valve's 300 prototypes.

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
    GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
    CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
    RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)
    Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
    Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
    Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high
  • Widge Moderator 5 Oct 2013 08:17:33 13,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm assuming the form factor will be quite big then. One thing you lose from being able to maintain yourself is a nice near compact box.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• FanBoysSuck 5 Oct 2013 08:59:46 1,484 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    450W PSU for a Titan?!?

For the emperor!

• Ginger 5 Oct 2013 10:01:44 6,843 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I'm assuming the form factor will be quite big then. One thing you lose from being able to maintain yourself is a nice near compact box.
    It's right there at the bottom. 12" x 12" x 2.9"

London open taekwondo champion

• PenguinJim 5 Oct 2013 10:51:35 5,865 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, it says "12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high", which is 431.52" high. Now all we need is the width and depth measurements.
  • Bremenacht 7 Oct 2013 13:44:08 18,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I read this a little earlier (written by a chap with a reputation for not liking nVidia) and it occurred to me that the currently announced Steamboxes are more of a sales pitch for nVidia than they are for Steam.

nVidia-only GPUs, of course, but just too high-end for what Valve are aiming at, do you think? According to the Steam surveys, most users go for low-to-mid-range parts, so what would Steam hope to achieve by testing high-end stuff?

Sounds more like a joint PR exercise at the moment. Only the OS is truly interesting.
  • dominalien 7 Oct 2013 13:53:30 6,884 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's true, the OS is definitely the only interesting part. Having said that, Nvidia really is the only sensible choice for Linux, gfx-card-wise.

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 7 October 2013 13:58:48
    AMD have said they've had just as much involvement as nvidia, they're just a bit quieter about it.
  • PenguinJim 7 Oct 2013 14:01:10 5,865 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People still read Charlie's articles!? He's been exposed as a loon so many times! o_O
  • Bremenacht 7 Oct 2013 14:12:47 18,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So has vizzini, but almost everyone reads what he writes, and once in a while..
  • Page

of 28 First / Last