Steambox - Valve's console Page 3

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• oceanmotion 2 Jan 2013 20:58:37 16,129 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hard to achieve with other clients, publishers and consoles. Steam does get a lot of compatible games but ones that use the full suite, doubt it's a big majority.

While MS seem uninterested in PC games, GWFL is all but dead, Xbox Windows looks like the replacement that won't get much attention until the next gen XBL gets shown off and I imagine they will pin their hopes on devs making Xbox and Windows versions with the same core XBL base rather than using Steamworks.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2013 21:07:48
    It's not even necessarily the full suite of Steamworks, a lot of games are Steam only without even using it that much. Skyrim, Dishonored, all of the latest CODs, Hitman Absolution, Saints Row 3, X-Com, all require Steam, non-optional, regardless of where you buy it from.
  • EMarkM 2 Jan 2013 22:07:00 3,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If it's not called the Steam Engine, I'm not buying one.

Stupid Steam Box.
  • L0cky 3 Jan 2013 00:10:12 1,560 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Surely it would just be trading one monopoly for another in the long run?
    OpenGL is open source; any OS can run it, including Windows (and X-Box). DirectX only works on Windows (and X-Box). So if all the PC devs used OpenGL it'd be much easier to release their games on all systems (including Mac) instead of just Windows.

Carmack has always used OpenGL for hw acceleration, which is why id's games have always been on pretty much everything.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 00:26:04
    OpenGL is not open source.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 00:32:15
    Again, I was talking about trading an OS monopoly for a distribution one. Valve decrying MS's approach to a walled garden isn't done so out of wanting an open free market, it's done so because they want to be the one to control it.
  • L0cky 3 Jan 2013 08:18:59 1,560 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    OpenGL is not open source.
    Well, it's confusing to be honest.

http://www.sgi.com/products/software/opengl/license.html

But the main point is it will be available to use on pretty much any platform, unlike DirectX.

Edited by L0cky at 08:19:11 03-01-2013
  • Ged42 3 Jan 2013 09:02:53 7,812 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder if there is room in the board games market for a Valve Monopoly?
  • dominalien 3 Jan 2013 11:27:24 7,071 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Again, I was talking about trading an OS monopoly for a distribution one. Valve decrying MS's approach to a walled garden isn't done so out of wanting an open free market, it's done so because they want to be the one to control it.
    I'm not really seeing the monopoly here. It's not like Valve can come out and say: if you want to release games for Linux, you have to release through us.

PSN: DonOsito

• warlockuk 3 Jan 2013 12:05:40 19,224 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    meme wrote:
    I'm not really seeing the monopoly here. It's not like Valve can come out and say: if you want to release games for Linux, you have to release through us.
    Linux has had distribution apps/platforms for ages for people to download on. If anything they're offering an alternative to the default Ubuntu one (which is pretty crap).

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 12:07:29 7,071 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the Ubuntu one has a very long way to go. It works... but that's about as much as can be said about it.

• oceanmotion 3 Jan 2013 12:26:30 16,129 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It's not even necessarily the full suite of Steamworks, a lot of games are Steam only without even using it that much. Skyrim, Dishonored, all of the latest CODs, Hitman Absolution, Saints Row 3, X-Com, all require Steam, non-optional, regardless of where you buy it from.
    Some power shift at least then but other similar client set ups should even it out. Save us GOG.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 15:17:35
    dominalien wrote:
    meme wrote:
    See previous posts. Valve just need to go "we have cross-platform middleware you can use for cloud saving and online multiplayer matchup. But to use it you have to be Steam exclusive" (this isn't even that far from what it is now) and they'll become defacto for Linux gaming (should it become any sort of success).

Once more, I'm not necessarily suggesting this is a bad thing (I bloody love Steam), I'm just attempting to point out that any talk of Valve trying to break a gaming monopoly is somewhat moot, because their end goal is to replace it with one of their own.

Edited by meme at 15:18:11 03-01-2013
  • dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:26:48 7,071 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @meme

All right, I'll give you all that.

Still... it's much easier to break a tool/online matchmaking/whatever monopoly than it is an operating system one (as our current situation clearly demonstrates). It's Gamespy on Monday, GfWL on Tuesday, Steamworks on Wednesday, etc. No-one will even notice the difference, as long as it works somewhat.

• dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:28:00 7,071 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, and also, I think every company on the planet is striving to establish their own monopoly. I'm pretty sure no-one, when starting a business, says "My final goal is 20% of the market, I'll leave the rest to the competition".

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 15:32:50
    Eh, depends, really. While 100% ownership seems desirable, monopolies do genuinely kill markets. Which is why those who have it work around it - like washing liquid and the like. Dozens of different brands, with two or three companies behind the lot of them. I'd imagine most companies, while lusting after a monopoly, realistically look at what chunk of marketshare they can actually grab, and take that. It would be exceptionally rare for a company to be in a position where they can legitimately form a monopoly (which is a position Valve are in).

Edited by meme at 15:33:05 03-01-2013
  • UncleLou Moderator 3 Jan 2013 15:35:42 35,858 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I really don't think that's what their goal is. They don't want to control the market (although they certainly don't mind that they play a major role), but they are afraid to get shut out of the existing market or at least marginalised in the long run. I am not aware that Valve ever attracted attention with any dubious behaviour against their competitors.

But when your business depends on the decisions of another party that is starting to compete with you and it looks like you might have to overcome more obstacles in the future, of course you try to become independent, and as soon as possible.
  • dominalien 3 Jan 2013 15:38:57 7,071 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Eh, depends, really. While 100% ownership seems desirable, monopolies do genuinely kill markets. Which is why those who have it work around it - like washing liquid and the like. Dozens of different brands, with two or three companies behind the lot of them. I'd imagine most companies, while lusting after a monopoly, realistically look at what chunk of marketshare they can actually grab, and take that. It would be exceptionally rare for a company to be in a position where they can legitimately form a monopoly (which is a position Valve are in).
    There's nothing stopping them from creating a new company with a new distribution platform, which will then "compete" with the other one. Leaving us to obsess over which one is better and trying to convince each other of our favourite's merits. Much like the two coffee shops in DXIW. :-)

• jamesi 4 Jan 2013 04:55:20 223 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Next gen for me was going to be all about xbox 720 and ps4 but this has thrown a spanner in the works.I'm really intrigued by the steam box and what valve will do with it.One thing i hate about being a console only gamer is missing out on all the pc horror games and cool mods.I think this thing could really be succesfull for valve and will be launching near same time as next consoles.I will probably end up getting all three lol:eek:
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Jan 2013 07:35:27 39,570 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Steam box? I 5 meter HDMI cable I say. :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• LeoliansBro 4 Jan 2013 08:08:00 44,966 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So this will cap and crystallise hardware requirements for Steam downloads?

Gets my vote! I love the broadness and choice in PC gaming but I'm as tech savvy as a jellyfish so having simeone sort out the optimisation and ensure games are running as well as they can ahead of time has always made consoles preferable for me. This could be right on the sweet spot.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• AaronTurner 4 Jan 2013 08:45:30 7,886 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most gamew aren't Linux compatible are they?
  • Benno 4 Jan 2013 08:50:26 10,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think there's only about 30 that are, and the majority are indie titles
  • dominalien 4 Jan 2013 11:24:26 7,071 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If not all. There are more on Desura, with only one or two not labelled as indie, and even that is stretching it.

So... it's clearly about new games only. Fair enough, I guess, considering it's a console-like device.

• SparkyMarky81 4 Jan 2013 12:57:11 567 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't see the point in this. If you want to game on PC, buy a PC. If you want a console experience, buy a console.

This is kind of a confusing proposition for me unless it works out cheaper than a gaming PC (posible without windows), but even then it won't have all the other uses a normal gaming pc would.

Edited by SparkyMarky81 at 12:57:38 04-01-2013
  • Mr-Brett 4 Jan 2013 13:18:39 12,897 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A decent UI, cloud saves that aren't limited or cost extra, cheap games, no Xbox live fees. I would say backwards compatibility but I'm not sure about that one, since the proper Steamboxes will be Linux.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Dougs 4 Jan 2013 13:31:17 69,544 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    A decent UI, cloud saves that aren't limited or cost extra, cheap games, no Xbox live fees. I would say backwards compatibility but I'm not sure about that one, since the proper Steamboxes will be Linux.
    Yep, the ecosystem in a nutshell. I'd be interested if I could take my existing catalogue across. Although I may just sling this under the TV at some point and get a cheap PC for office stuff
  • AaronTurner 4 Jan 2013 14:30:03 7,886 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd be more interested in something that includes my current catalogue
  • El_MUERkO 8 Jan 2013 02:09:34 17,152 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3848916/xi3s-valve-funded-computer-designed-to-work-with-big-picture-mode

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/08/valve-backed-living-room-pc-system-debuts-today/
  • Whizzo 8 Jan 2013 02:27:41 43,372 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shitbox more like.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 28 First / Last