Steambox - Valve's console Page 20

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• Deleted user 25 September 2013 19:33:07
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Has anyone posted do a joke about the irony of this being... VAPOUR-ware?
    Fuck me I only just got the 'Steam', 'Valve' naming convention. What a day.
  • Deleted user 25 September 2013 19:33:45
    Did not want to be top of the page with that reveal!
  • Chopsen 25 Sep 2013 19:51:13 15,855 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What I want to know is how specific they are about what hardware it will actually work on.

Can I stream to SteamOS running on a raspberry pi? That'd be fun!
  • Ron_Justice 25 Sep 2013 19:57:49 2,297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So Steambox = A range of PC's built with components that allow for a range of prices and specs while not running Windows.

Soooo, Steambox = Steam branded PC's?

Steam/Origin - Ron_Justice
    PSN - hyper_808

• Carlo 25 Sep 2013 20:04:03 17,994 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Basically it's a "fuck you Microsoft, we're dumping Windows" announcement.

Tbh, if it wasn't for DX, I'd not have Windows at home at all. Got 2 macs and a PC.

PSN ID: Djini

• YoshiMcTaggis 25 Sep 2013 20:17:06 3,007 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Depending on price I could see myself getting one of these. I'd put my pc in the other room for work, and hook one of these up to the tv for Linux native games, and streaming when necessary.

Hmmmm
  • dominalien 25 Sep 2013 21:11:01 6,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    What I want to know is how specific they are about what hardware it will actually work on.

Can I stream to SteamOS running on a raspberry pi? That'd be fun!
    It'll be open-source, so an ARM version should appear just about immediately, depending on exactly how open-source it'll be. Of course, it won't run any games natively. The Pi is very capable of decoding a few video formats, so it should be fine for streaming (and controller input).

PSN: DonOsito

• Carlo 25 Sep 2013 21:15:47 17,994 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm guessing if it's not got an nvidia card, it's going to be unpleasant (until ati also get their shit together of course).

• Chopsen 25 Sep 2013 21:16:54 15,855 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @dominalien

Ha, love your optimism :)
  • dominalien 25 Sep 2013 21:17:18 6,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Until"? Heh. "If ever", more like. :-)

• dominalien 25 Sep 2013 21:18:31 6,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Chopsen

That's me, always optimistic. That said, the Pi has more grunt than people give it credit for. It's just not very good at being a desktop system, is all, and a SteamOS Pi will be far from a desktop system.

• Carlo 25 Sep 2013 22:12:16 17,994 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reveal #3? I was certain it was hl3 is steamos exclusive.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/09/25/valve-has-developed-a-game-controller.aspx

• Deleted user 25 September 2013 22:15:20
    That was pretty much a given seeing as they said at the end of their last update "we'll talk about input devices very shortly".
  • grey_matters 25 Sep 2013 22:58:03 3,690 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    That was pretty much a given seeing as they said at the end of their last update "we'll talk about input devices very shortly".
    Yeah, I'm strangely excited by it for some reason. They've been talking about input devices for years now. I can't work out if I'd prefer something simple and classical with a nice little Valve twist or some grand lunacy attempting to change everything about the way we play games.
  • Articulate-Troll 26 Sep 2013 02:28:50 3,101 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's about time there was a (hopefully) cheap and relatively compact option for PC gaming. I think PC gaming has suffered because of the prohibitive cost of buying a decent gaming rig, and I also think the silly size of most desktop towers has put a lot of people off owning one. I like PC gaming but I don't want to own some ugly black monolith that I can't move around. Having a gaming PC that you can easily carry around and plug into your TV will make this a lot more attractive, I suspect, for the average consumer.

If it's an open platform that lets you install Windows (because let's face it, most games won't be available for linux, at least initially) then it will be even tempting.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 26 Sep 2013 05:08:32 11,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used to love PC gaming back in the day when grey_matters and his brother were taking care of any bullshit PC trouble I had. So basically, I am of the opinion that there is a huge number of potential customers who WANT to play PC gaming, but are put off by any or all of the following problems:

. can't play in the living room;
    . wanna use a controller;
    . the PC rig is fugly;
    . drivers or other PC bullshit;
    . too expensive.

Now, before PC guys storm me and say that those issues are a thing of the past, the fact is that for the layman who doesn't know enough to build their own rig, or can't be arsed to learn, or who has carried all of these perceptions with them for years, something has to be done.

They want to join the PC gaming scene. I wanna join. But I want someone to remove some of those barriers for me. Valve looks to be doing that. It seems to me that the Steambox is a foray into nabbing all of the console gamers that want the good stuff from PC gaming without giving up their couch experience.

Fingers crossed that Valve can pull it off. I'll buy one for sure.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• CosmicFuzz 26 Sep 2013 06:08:58 23,840 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do not see any appeal in this whatsoever. To get the most out of it you already have to have a cutting edge PC to stream games from? Why not just run a long cable to your TV and plug your PC directly in?

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Telepathic.Geometry 26 Sep 2013 06:15:01 11,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A lot of the PC gamers seem to respond to Steambox stuff with lots of "Why don't you just..."s, and I think you lot are missing the point. Steambox is not for you. It's not only solving hardware/software issues, but also a problem of perception.

Plus, I personally want a Steambox to sit under my TV and play PC games for me, like a console would. My PC is a Mac, and has no graphics card to speak of, so all the cables in the world aren't gonna solve that issue.

• grey_matters 26 Sep 2013 07:01:08 3,690 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Fingers crossed that Valve can pull it off. I'll buy one for sure.
    I think I might have to fly to Japan to witness that first-hand.
    :)
  • dominalien 26 Sep 2013 07:08:20 6,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I do not see any appeal in this whatsoever. To get the most out of it you already have to have a cutting edge PC to stream games from? Why not just run a long cable to your TV and plug your PC directly in?
    The last thing I want to do is run long cables between rooms and floors. And I'm a geek. Why would you assume anyone not geek (which means about 99.999% of the population) would ever want to do something like that?

Edited by dominalien at 07:09:01 26-09-2013

• Trafford 26 Sep 2013 07:21:26 5,733 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I really am going to need a second PC in order to run a Steambox?
    Could someone clarify please?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 26 Sep 2013 07:22:13 11,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote: Fingers crossed that Valve can pull it off. I'll buy one for sure.
    grey_matters wrote: I think I might have to fly to Japan to witness that first-hand. :)
    I wish ya would fella. You can witness the birthing process, as I curse shitty PC drivers, or whatever fucking bullshit malady that stops it from working when I plug it in on day one. And then you can fix said problem in three seconds and mock my PC ignorance.

• dominalien 26 Sep 2013 07:35:24 6,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote: Fingers crossed that Valve can pull it off. I'll buy one for sure.
    grey_matters wrote: I think I might have to fly to Japan to witness that first-hand. :)
    I wish ya would fella. You can witness the birthing process, as I curse shitty PC drivers, or whatever fucking bullshit malady that stops it from working when I plug it in on day one. And then you can fix said problem in three seconds and mock my PC ignorance.
    Depends on how good g_m is with Linux. :-)

• dominalien 26 Sep 2013 07:39:09 6,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    So I really am going to need a second PC in order to run a Steambox?
    Could someone clarify please?
    You will only _need_one if you want to stream Windows-or-Mac-only games to it (which currently means: almost certainly). But it'll work fine without one and all the SteamOS (Linux) games available on Steam (some 200 of them, practically all indies) will work fine.

• CosmicFuzz 26 Sep 2013 07:45:17 23,840 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    The last thing I want to do is run long cables between rooms and floors. And I'm a geek. Why would you assume anyone not geek (which means about 99.999% of the population) would ever want to do something like that?
    To save money of course. It seems like a rather expensive way to essentially get your PC to show in your TV screen.

And also, I really can't see this selling to anyone who's NOT a geek. The masses love their consoles because of the simplicity of them. This seems anything but. Plays some games, need to have a high end PC to play most though. Exactly what is the point of it?

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Telepathic.Geometry 26 Sep 2013 07:50:14 11,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @dominalien His main job will to prevent me from harming myself or the Steambox...

...I really do hate random PC issues that prevent plug and play. HAAAAAAATE!!!

• dominalien 26 Sep 2013 07:52:07 6,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Edit: @CosmicFuzz

I don't agree. It's supposed to be simple (pre-configured, running out of the box) and non-geeks will not care about all the Windows games that won't run on it.

That said, I know a few non-technically minded teenagers who are able to install and play PC games, but can't update drivers or replace the graphics card - and I'd say they are in the majority, not minority (anecdotal evidence, I know). The Steambox is for them.

Also, just because there are no AAA games for Linux (or SteamOS, which is the same thing) right now doesn't mean there won't be any next year.

Another also, real geeks are able to run the vast majority of Windows games in Wine anyway.

Edited by dominalien at 07:52:42 26-09-2013

• Telepathic.Geometry 26 Sep 2013 07:54:44 11,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess that going forward, a significant number of AAA games will have a Linux version built? No?

• CosmicFuzz 26 Sep 2013 08:11:32 23,840 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @dominalien I dunno. I see what you're saying, but people have been burnt before by buying into the potential of games coming to something (Wii U I suppose springs to mind most readily). And whilst it the pre-configured aspect of it does take some of the complexity away, why would non-geeks choose it over a console? Consoles are also pre-configured but they also play the latest games.

I certainly wouldn't buy one just to play indie games on my TV or to stream my PC to TV. There's cheaper ways of getting the image there and I can play far more. I think they know this though, which is why they're bookending it with 'OS' this and 'fancy new controller' that.

• dominalien 26 Sep 2013 08:30:03 6,848 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz

The fact you're not the target audience for this doesn't mean no-one else is. :-)

I'm not the target audience either, at least for the Steambox. I'll definitely be at least trying out SteamOS; I already have a Linux box in the living room anyway. I might eventually be suckered into getting a Steambox as well, however, depending on how attractively designed some of them are.

I agree the promise of games is not enough. Time will tell.

• Page

of 28 First / Last