Steambox - Valve's console Page 9

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 18:47:31
    meme wrote:
    So basically Steambox is just shitty branding and certification.
    More like the Google Nexus, I think.
  • Chopsen 9 Jan 2013 19:12:01 15,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Silverlight is pretty much dead.

It's Microsofts PlayReady DRM that is platform independent so that is why you see Netflix on everything, even Linux based devices.

Microsoft hasn't bothered developing a version for Linux but I think it just comes down to someone else doing it, like other devices that support Netflix without Silverlight.
    That is as maybe in the future, at present there is no way of getting Netflix running on linux. The only solution atm is using Wine, which is not very elegant or reliable, or a VM, which is a massive waste of resources. Loading up a browser in linux as Gabe suggested doesn't achieve anything. Even if silverlight is "dead," it is still necessary to get netflix (and lovefilm) to play in a browser and has not been developed for linux. Given the history of content licence holder's attitude to open source software (see the DeCSS debacle) I wouldn't put any trust in there being a reliable development in this area. As often is the case with linux, you're relying on people reverse engineering hacks.

I'm not saying it's never going to happen. It just isn't happening now, and not in the way stated in that interview.
  • oceanmotion 9 Jan 2013 19:15:42 15,925 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vapourbox.
  • mrpon 9 Jan 2013 19:17:58 28,893 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derpbox

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 19:20:33 59,874 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wii no rikey

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• oceanmotion 9 Jan 2013 19:33:47 15,925 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:

It's Microsofts PlayReady DRM that is platform independent so that is why you see Netflix on everything, even Linux based devices.

Microsoft hasn't bothered developing a version for Linux but I think it just comes down to someone else doing it, like other devices that support Netflix without Silverlight.
    That is as maybe in the future, at present there is no way of getting Netflix running on linux. The only solution atm is using Wine, which is not very elegant or reliable, or a VM, which is a massive waste of resources. Loading up a browser in linux as Gabe suggested doesn't achieve anything. Even if silverlight is "dead," it is still necessary to get netflix (and lovefilm) to play in a browser and has not been developed for linux. Given the history of content licence holder's attitude to open source software (see the DeCSS debacle) I wouldn't put any trust in there being a reliable development in this area. As often is the case with linux, you're relying on people reverse engineering hacks.

I'm not saying it's never going to happen. It just isn't happening now, and not in the way stated in that interview.
    Yeah, Gabe wasn't telling the truth there but perhaps just a simple fix.

PlayReady can be on anything, PS3, TVs, Roku, phones etc. Only a matter of someone doing it for other Linux platforms. I doubt MS developed for all those random platforms so up to the platform holder. Whether you have to pay for it, I dunno, perhaps that is why.

What does Lovefilm use?
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 19:37:01
    I think Gabe's attitude towards doing something on it that isn't using Steam is "yeah, whatever"
  • dominalien 9 Jan 2013 19:51:59 6,860 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:

Yeah, Gabe wasn't telling the truth there but perhaps just a simple fix.

PlayReady can be on anything, PS3, TVs, Roku, phones etc. Only a matter of someone doing it for other Linux platforms. I doubt MS developed for all those random platforms so up to the platform holder. Whether you have to pay for it, I dunno, perhaps that is why.

What does Lovefilm use?
    Linux has Moonlight.

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 19:53:49
    ...which doesn't work with Netflix.
  • dominalien 9 Jan 2013 19:55:41 6,860 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, but it can be made to work with less effort than cooking something up from scratch. You're very negative lately. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 19:57:18
    I'm just becoming very disillusioned with Valve. Nothing to do with Linux, really, they're just slowly changing in my eyes from "awesomeness" into "power hungry bastards". Or maybe the veil of awesomeness lifted. Or something like that. Sort of like finding out Santa isn't real.

Edited by meme at 19:57:28 09-01-2013
  • Chopsen 9 Jan 2013 20:19:09 15,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, moonlight is silverlight without the DRM. Which is a bit like Steam without the games.
  • Chopsen 9 Jan 2013 20:23:38 15,949 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've never really liked steam since it became necessary to play certain games. Fine, allow the game to be available via steam and thereby make it necessary then, but I need to use it just because I want to play a particular game even if I went to shop and buy it? Meh. I know it's all because I have control issues, but I really hate relying on any form of online DRM.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 20:37:18
    It's 1000 times better than the alternatives though which is a pretty sad state.
  • oceanmotion 9 Jan 2013 23:09:58 15,925 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not fond of clients, even less so as everyone has one. It would be nice if someone simplified installs instead of still wrapping the same old stuff with another layer of annoyance. Steam kinda makes it seem things are organised but not the case. Better than anything else right now, but we are just suffering more and more being under the thumb of clients.
  • Bremenacht 9 Jan 2013 23:50:07 18,208 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I'm just becoming very disillusioned with Valve. Nothing to do with Linux, really, they're just slowly changing in my eyes from "awesomeness" into "power hungry bastards". Or maybe the veil of awesomeness lifted. Or something like that. Sort of like finding out Santa isn't real.
    Hope you're wrong. I read stuff like this

Do you think you can really disrupt the home entertainment space and compete with Microsoft and Sony?

GN: The internet is super smart. If you do something that is cool, that's actually worth people's time, then they'll adopt it. If you do something that's not cool and sucks, you can spend as many marketing dollars as you want, [they] just won't.
    and I believe him. If Steve Ballmer or some big Sony exec said that, I'd think it was BAU bullshit and see no reason to believe their heads aren't in clouds. Maybe it's my head in a cloud.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 23:54:48
    Yeah, it's things like that which ring hollow, with his "Windows 8 store is a walled gardens, and walled gardens are terrible for the PC, let's move to Linux" when Steam itself is a walled garden makes it less "do the right things and everyone thinks it's cool" and more "say the right things and everyone thinks it's cool".
  • cubbymoore 10 Jan 2013 00:03:10 36,496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The internet is not super smart. Have you fucking read it lately?
  • Bremenacht 10 Jan 2013 00:03:10 18,208 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's right about the sucky bit though. If it sucks, or doesn't do anything a load of other cheap-box PCs can do, it'll just fail.

It's as if a lot of companies believe that big change is coming in gaming platforms, given the number of new platforms coming out; that one of the giants will fall and open up a big chunk of market for new entrants to fight over.
  • Bremenacht 10 Jan 2013 00:04:41 18,208 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    The internet is not super smart. Have you fucking read it lately?
    If EG forum is any indicator it's amazingly bright!
  • cubbymoore 10 Jan 2013 00:06:07 36,496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No it's not it speculates on made up shit.
  • beastmaster 10 Jan 2013 00:20:37 11,411 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I honestly think it's going to flop big time. As will the OUYA and Project Shield.

Who are they trying to convert?

XBox owners who know there's a new console on the way? Not a chance.
    Playstation owners who know there's a new console on it's way? Not a chance.
    Nintendo owners? I don't think so.
    People buying new consoles? Not a chance.
    PC owners? Gibe me a frikkin' break here.

As far as price goes, OUYA may have a chance if it's cheap, as a novelty for existing tech owners. But why if you can play Android games on your smartphone or tablet?

And no, smart cool stuff that works does not sell. Look at the Vita. It's going to have to be cheap to stand any chance.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Bremenacht 10 Jan 2013 00:29:51 18,208 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I'd think 'smart' means setting a pricepoint thats radically cheap enough to tempt anyone other than existing PC owners. Smart means expecting to make your extra money from Steam - not the HW itself.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2013 02:31:54
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Well, I'd think 'smart' means setting a pricepoint thats radically cheap enough to tempt anyone other than existing PC owners. Smart means expecting to make your extra money from Steam - not the HW itself.
    Yet they've partnered with other companies to make "Steambox" certified products, which are by all accounts not cheap. Can't really see them then completely undercutting their partners by a considerable margin with their own hardware.
  • Khanivor 10 Jan 2013 04:03:37 40,735 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maybe they are planning on releasing it with its own controller. Some kind of tablet with gamepad controls.

So far it all sounds like a load of wank but you'll still find peeps on this forum who think DD is a bad idea and it should just fuck off.
  • Rodney 10 Jan 2013 07:31:12 1,891 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I honestly think it's going to flop big time. As will the OUYA and Project Shield.

Who are they trying to convert?

XBox owners who know there's a new console on the way? Not a chance.
    Playstation owners who know there's a new console on it's way? Not a chance.
    Nintendo owners? I don't think so.
    People buying new consoles? Not a chance.
    PC owners? Gibe me a frikkin' break here.

As far as price goes, OUYA may have a chance if it's cheap, as a novelty for existing tech owners. But why if you can play Android games on your smartphone or tablet?

And no, smart cool stuff that works does not sell. Look at the Vita. It's going to have to be cheap to stand any chance.
    I'm a console gamer who would love to get into PC gaming if it was a little bit cheaper, hassle free and living room friendly. I don't know how big a market I represent but I'm sure other people like me exist

Edited by Rodney at 07:31:57 10-01-2013
  • Telepathic.Geometry 10 Jan 2013 07:40:04 11,319 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HI RODNEY, I EXIST TOO! So there's at least two of us...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Armoured_Bear 10 Jan 2013 07:43:57 11,019 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    HI RODNEY, I EXIST TOO! So there's at least two of us...
    Welcome back T.G!
    We miss you, stay :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• THFourteen 10 Jan 2013 07:45:44 33,404 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    when people say they would "like to get into PC gaming" what do they really mean? What games are they wanting to play that they can't play on an Xbox or PS3?

Things like Civilization?
  • Widge Moderator 10 Jan 2013 07:52:21 13,544 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    when people say they would "like to get into PC gaming" what do they really mean? What games are they wanting to play that they can't play on an Xbox or PS3?

Things like Civilization?
    I guess so, that and indie games, old favourites modded.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Page

of 28 First / Last