Steambox - Valve's console Page 8

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 10:26:54 8,078 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Out of interest, how many games are playable on Linux at the moment? I had the impression it was fairly low. If it is, doesn't it make the steam box useless?

I don't understand people who want a pc but only to use with a controller whilst it sits under their tv. If you don't want to play the more complicated pc games that don't work on consoles (total war, civ, mmos etc), then you might as well just play games on the 360/ps3. Buying a new pc just to play the same games a console can play seems like a waste of money to me, unless you really want to play games that look a bit prettier.

The biggest problem is who exactly is it aimed at?

Edited by andytheadequate at 10:27:43 09-01-2013
  • disusedgenius 9 Jan 2013 10:38:01 5,210 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As a slight aside: just because you're rather play on a PC normally, doesn't mean that you have much space to spare for a bigger desktop. I'd certainly be interested in a smaller-form gaming PC even though I'm a kb&m Nazi.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 10:40:53 86,345 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've gone to thinking this is brilliant and the future of gaming, to thinking it's total crap and that literally not once single person will get one.
  • jellyhead 9 Jan 2013 10:45:49 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well the blokey who was interviewed in the first place has clarified his statement to say that we shouldn't expect any announcement from Valve in 2013. They are looking into linux, big picture etc but they are also looking at VR and augmented reality but no big announcement planned for 2013.

Either it's misdirection or he's trying to clear away the speculation that's been started. Can't find the link at the moment.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 10:47:40 8,078 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    As a slight aside: just because you're rather play on a PC normally, doesn't mean that you have much space to spare for a bigger desktop. I'd certainly be interested in a smaller-form gaming PC even though I'm a kb&m Nazi.
    But if you're only going to play games that don't require a kb & m, then you'd only be playing games that are also available on consoles. Might as well just buy a console if that is the case, as it'd probably be cheaper and less hassle

Edited by andytheadequate at 10:49:06 09-01-2013
  • disusedgenius 9 Jan 2013 10:57:14 5,210 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    But if you're only going to play games that don't require a kb & m
    kb&m Nazi in that I believe that anyone using a pad is sub-human scum. :)

Even beyond that I'd still get a PC over a console, literally the only thing a console has going for it is local multiplayer (which is a pretty good reason and all). But that's another tired argument.
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 11:08:58 8,078 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    But if you're only going to play games that don't require a kb & m
    kb&m Nazi in that I believe that anyone using a pad is sub-human scum. :)

Even beyond that I'd still get a PC over a console, literally the only thing a console has going for it is local multiplayer (which is a pretty good reason and all). But that's another tired argument.
    I was talking about a hypothetical buyer, rather than you specifically...

You might be tempted to buy one as a second pc to have in your living room, but that's a fairly small market for valve to aim at. They're obviously trying to aim at console gamers who fancy giving pc gaming a go but I don't think they'll succeed
  • Shikasama 9 Jan 2013 11:36:41 6,606 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I've gone to thinking this is brilliant and the future of gaming, to thinking it's total crap and that literally not once single person will get one.
    I think everyone is just caught up in the hype wave that the media have created and forgetting that there is actually very little information on what Steam actually plan to do - just an awful lot of opinion.

For me it depends entirely on how it interacts with my current steam account, If I can't play the majority of my 230 steam games on it then it is useless t me. However for someone who is treating it as a way to play games going forward rather than backwards maybe it'll be ideal.

Too much guesswork based on basic, basic information at the minute.
  • Chopsen 9 Jan 2013 13:00:13 15,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No guesswork needed. If it's linux based, it won't play the vast majority of games currently on steam. I doubt anyone is going to do mass conversion of 10 year old windows games for linux for the sake of this.

Gabe said you can install windows on it according to that interview, but then why not just get a PC? Mind you he also said you'd be able to run Netflix on it because it has a browser, which is patently false given it's linux based. Netflix (and Lovefilm) use DRM'd MS Silverlight, which does not exist on Linux or ever going to. I don't really think even *he* knows much about it himself :)

Edited by Chopsen at 13:00:49 09-01-2013
  • RunningMan 9 Jan 2013 13:05:43 2,386 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What happens on the netflix clients for ps3 and wii? Presume they're not running silverlight.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 13:10:50 58,784 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does netflix run in a browser on the PS3 and Wii or in a bespoke application?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dougs 9 Jan 2013 13:14:36 66,671 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bespoke apps. Never tried it with the rubbish browsers though
  • THFourteen 9 Jan 2013 13:16:17 32,858 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Netflix works great on the ps3, especially with a US VPN.
    iplayer works great too.

40D seems to run in some sort of browser, its utterly terrible, we can't use it.
  • Lukus 9 Jan 2013 13:23:42 18,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't really get it. I'd rather just build my own small form factor PC for gaming and not be limited in my other options with it.

Paintings & Photographs

• oceanmotion 9 Jan 2013 13:26:10 15,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Silverlight is pretty much dead.

It's Microsofts PlayReady DRM that is platform independent so that is why you see Netflix on everything, even Linux based devices.

Microsoft hasn't bothered developing a version for Linux but I think it just comes down to someone else doing it, like other devices that support Netflix without Silverlight.
  • cubbymoore 9 Jan 2013 13:33:29 36,468 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So it's just another PC basically? They've already made big screen mode, which handles all you really need to play your PC on a TV in a comfortable way, why are they pushing this angle of actually making the thing.

It just seems like they want Microsoft out of the picture rather than anything. But who's going to turn their nose at Windows 8 for being unusable (??) and then go to linux as a viable alternative, unless Steam themselves make some kind of competing semi-OS.
  • ToonMonkey 9 Jan 2013 13:45:53 302 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't get the precieved need for this at all. I have a PC under my telly and game only using a 360 pad. Happy to use a kb&m for windows. The PC fits fine, doesn't make too much noise and doesn't look too horrific. I can updgrade the PC as required and have done alot. I la-la-la-love it. Why would I want a Steambox over a PC.
  • mal 9 Jan 2013 17:49:17 22,337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    It just seems like they want Microsoft out of the picture rather than anything. But who's going to turn their nose at Windows 8 for being unusable (??) and then go to linux as a viable alternative, unless Steam themselves make some kind of competing semi-OS.
    Well that's the idea behing Big Picture mode isn't it?

Personally, for me, Linux does everything I want from a computer except play modern games, and while I'm probably in a minority there, I can't be the only one. Sure, there are minor annoyances, like when Lovefilm took away Instant, but it seems to me that if anyone objects to Win 8's interface as much as Gabe Newell does, it's going to be an easy transition to something like xfce which is in practice much more like Win XP than I suspect Win 8 is.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 17:53:21
    So is this Piston thing actually confirmed as the Steambox then? I thought Valve said they would be handling the hardware themselves.
  • disusedgenius 9 Jan 2013 17:56:47 5,210 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well kinda, Gabe seemed to be treating it more like a series of standards than a particular product.
  • oceanmotion 9 Jan 2013 17:57:00 15,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder if MS will do anything to counter with better Windows Game support. Bit quiet on that apart from GFWL dying and half arsing an Xbox Windows brand in store games.

Perhaps a bit risky to focus on consoles so much. Be interesting to see if MS have any worthy plan ahead for Windows. They do tend to sleep at the wheel until it's too late.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 17:58:11
    If they're doing anything, they'll probably wait for the next Xbox and Windows 9, then tie them all in together. That's a big if, though, they're probably content to let the PC market carry on as is.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 18:03:11
    meme wrote:
    So is this Piston thing actually confirmed as the Steambox then? I thought Valve said they would be handling the hardware themselves.
    No. It's one of the things they've invested in to help develop their final solution, I think of it a bit like the way Google have worked with hardware manufacturers for Android.

They will be making and selling their own machine but others will be able to make their own variations of them.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 18:05:49
    So basically Steambox is just shitty branding and certification.
  • ecureuil 9 Jan 2013 18:10:22 76,501 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still think it should be called GabeCube.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 18:10:52
    PlayGaben
  • cubbymoore 9 Jan 2013 18:16:27 36,468 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gabebox. Cos it sounds like gay box.
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 18:27:13 53,816 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Masterracebox.
  • cubbymoore 9 Jan 2013 18:39:21 36,468 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago