Guardians of Middle Earth Page 6

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• RedSparrows 18 Dec 2012 17:46:31 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just prestiged: you lose all loadouts (i.e. locks them away, but it DOES remember your setups, so you just have to unlock again). You retain your potions, but not your access to them. Relics/gems are all kept.

You do it for cash: level 1 to 2 takes one game and netted me 6k total.
  • agparrot 18 Dec 2012 18:10:47 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I quite fancy trying out Haldir, but don't want to risk spending all that Gold on him if I don't like him.

All the stats on on this GoME Wiki, should you want to browse.
    That's the rest of my day taken care of.

I think Haldir was free last week - like a tougher, shorter ranged Legolas, if I'm thinking of the correct chap.
  • RedSparrows 18 Dec 2012 19:56:05 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like Galadriel. She's so... annoying. I might even prefer her to Eowyn.

Sacrilege!

The differentiation between heroes is so well done.
  • RedSparrows 18 Dec 2012 19:57:21 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PS I can play all evening tomorrow.

What say you we get an EG team/game together?

WHAT SAY YOU?
  • DFawkes 18 Dec 2012 20:08:08 23,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I could probably be on about half 9, unless something comes up. Which it probably will. Not sure if that'll be too late for most people though.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• MrTomFTW Moderator 18 Dec 2012 20:09:10 38,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll be on by about half 8.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• AccidentProne 19 Dec 2012 00:20:43 1,166 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Since the patch, I've started rubber banding all over the place, I've not noticed any improved matchmaking either. It's still taking ages to get into games and I'm still getting disconnected occasionally.

Thing is, it's a bloody awesome game when it works, so I'm prepared to stick with it for now. They really need to sort something out though. Surely relying on p2p for something like this was always going to be iffy...

Edited by AccidentProne at 00:21:15 19-12-2012
  • StarchildHypocrethes 19 Dec 2012 01:25:04 25,942 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll be on tomorrow night.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Dec 2012 08:47:22 44,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, I gave this a quick try. I'd say that while the tutorial gives you a good feel for the basics, it in no way prepares you for the whole point of the game, whih is combining your powers and especially combining with other characters.

So I waded in as Legolas, and was almost as embarrassed by the number of times he died as I was by the godawful fantasy bollocks he shouts every time he respawns. He seems quite powerful, but it's very hard to tell who you're targetting at any one time, and whether you are actually doing them any damage. Handily his main attack means you can hang a bit back and avoid the raping, but not the guy for me.

Then I tried an Orc with an even more embarrassing fantasy name, who was faster, and had a more logical . straightforward order to his special attacks. Lots more fun.

One to keep trying at, although it's properly confusing and the screen is a mess.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RedSparrows 19 Dec 2012 09:40:41 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Since the patch, I've started rubber banding all over the place, I've not noticed any improved matchmaking either. It's still taking ages to get into games and I'm still getting disconnected occasionally.

Thing is, it's a bloody awesome game when it works, so I'm prepared to stick with it for now. They really need to sort something out though. Surely relying on p2p for something like this was always going to be iffy...
    Rubbish! It really is 'patchy' (hohoho) - my matchmaking times have been halved, on average.

It's very temperamental: playing solo is fine, playing in one group also - but change the personnel and it suddenly decides it won't play ball for 5 minutes or more.

It seems like the game works fine for some, but isn't nearly sensitive enough in its net-code et al for MOST people's connections.

Not sure why p2p for this is any iffier than any other game - P2P should manage 10 people easily - see any modern FPS: there's more going in in those.
  • AccidentProne 19 Dec 2012 10:25:19 1,166 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What sort of wait times are you getting now? It's still generally taking me over 5mins to get into a game and when I do, it's been pretty unplayable and liable to disconnect.

There's plenty of loadout tinkering to be done whilst waiting, so the odd 5min wait wouldn't normally be too much of an issue. What is an issue, for me at least, is that I haven't had a single properly playable game since the patch.

Fair point about the p2p thing. Would be nice if the matchmaking set the host as someone with a decent connection and open NAT though, which I assume is part of the problem.

I tend to play pretty late, which probably isn't helping either. What with getting matched with folks in the states.
  • RedSparrows 19 Dec 2012 10:37:00 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah: I fear the game can't deal with things like moderate/strict NATs as well as others can - which is weird and rubbish. So any normal internet issues seem to get exacerbated by the game.

I normally get a game (solo) in 2/3 minutes. In a group (of 5) it can be even less. A group of 2-4 varies: depends on people's connections and things, but normally, since patch <5 minutes.

I am wired, open NAT, but not especially fast line (6mbs?).

I still get some laggy games. Let's hope for another couple of patches, as the game is brilliant when it works. Monolith do seem concerned about it... at the moment.
  • agparrot 19 Dec 2012 10:51:55 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    Has anyone messed around with Felgrom? He's nuts, suicide bomber who can also set himself alight damaging others and himself. You die a lot but I'd say in the right hands he could be very damaging.
    I had a custom game with him last night - he's a really different character to play, that's for sure. Short range basic attacks are of medium power, but his other attacks are just plain different - he can set himself on fire, a toggle on/off attack that burns anyone nearby for a not-bad amount of damage, as you steal some of their health and burn away more of your own. He has a 'trap' attack where he plonks down a barrel which causes KNOCKEDUP or whatever it's called to anyone who walks over it, and he has a thrown ranged attack where he chucks a bomb that briefly stuns and mildly damages targets in the distant circle it affects. His fourth, 'ultimate' power is to blow himself up, doing a lot of damage to any enemies nearby. It's more powerful in the earlier part of the game where it can kill lots of soldiers or Guardians who have been weakened, but it seems less effective as everyone else levels up.

It's really hard to play as him solo - he doesn't really have any attacks apart from suicide that do gank levels of damage, but his burning attack can be devastating to soldier-mobs and if you can survive long enough near to other guardians it does keep chipping away at them. It is fun to play as him, but I'm guessing a carefully planned loadout and teamwork is the way to get the most out of it.

As for connections and stuff, I'd say I've had more disconnections post-patch than pre-patch from my brief experience of it, and although I can generally find a game in Battlegrounds, and they seem to have reduced the wait times overall, it's been harder to get into Elite Battlegrounds, especially with 2-4 players.
  • neilqpr 19 Dec 2012 11:27:24 2,855 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Felgrom was Mondays news, I'm all about Lugbol now, he's AWESOME.

Well he is against AI, I'm sure I'll get battered by humans. I'll hopefully be on tonight.
  • agparrot 19 Dec 2012 11:39:56 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    Felgrom was Mondays news, I'm all about Lugbol now, he's AWESOME.

Well he is against AI, I'm sure I'll get battered by humans. I'll hopefully be on tonight.
    Played as Lugballs last night, and actually managed to kill some actual people with him - it was especially gratifying hunting down and repeatedly killing Gandalf with him, for some reason. A sort of battle of the wizardy-people in the middle lane that I actually won, for a change.

Played a few games with RedSparrow's pal Colino last night, and he told me that generally in MOBA's you get two players going Top lane, two players going Bottom lane and one 'Enchanter' type character levelling solo in the middle lane - this allows characters like Gandalf and Lugballs to farm all the 'mobs' for themselves, allowing them to level up more quickly, as if they get outranked by other players they are much less effective, but if they can level more quickly then their powers, especially the support and status-effect ones, can really swing the battles, so it is 'good form' to allow them the XP from farming the middle lane to themselves.

Also, not sure if LB's Orc was, um... Mozgog? Is that his name? He seems a pretty straightforward character to use too - plenty of angry, hulk-smash type damage and fairly resilient, although none of the subtleties of powers that many of the characters have. This isn't a bad thing, as he can wade in to any conflict and kill any Guardians that are committed to, distracted by or weakened from another fight.
  • RedSparrows 19 Dec 2012 11:46:06 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mozgog is great fun - but can also be horribly frustrating. He's very simple to learn, which makes him good, but I'd rather play as Arathorn or Thrain if on a warrior.

Let's all play tonight! I find the connections are much safer in a group - gives one of you host, I'd imagine (like most games).
  • agparrot 19 Dec 2012 11:49:38 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I shall do my best to get on for some games tonight, although will indubitably be arriving just as everyone else goes to bed.
  • RedSparrows 19 Dec 2012 11:55:08 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would say, despite all the net issues, I've already prestiged and haven't played anything else for a week. It's doing something right!
  • agparrot 19 Dec 2012 11:58:35 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I would say, despite all the net issues, I've already prestiged and haven't played anything else for a week. It's doing something right!
    There is no doubt in my mind that it's a really good game - really well balanced, a lot to learn and take onboard and the odd sensation of running away and hiding sometimes being the first choice, or fighting the soldiers and not enemy players, as someone mentioned even when you are on the same screen sometimes you aren't in a position to engage one another.
  • RedSparrows 19 Dec 2012 12:01:37 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's immensely satisfying, and very varied: I was worried about map variety, but really the Guardians are the spice - SO different. Galadriel, to Nori, to Legolas.

Now, just fix up the connection issues and I'll throw money at DLC.
  • glo 19 Dec 2012 12:01:56 3,425 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I will be about for some games tonight both early (7-8) and late (10.30+) but not in between (which is probably when the rest of you are all around)

matchmaking was terrible yesterday, hopefully will be better tonight. had a quick check on my network status but couldn't find a problem (wired connection, open NAT, reasonable speed 8-10MB down / 1MB up)
  • agparrot 19 Dec 2012 13:37:21 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    It's immensely satisfying, and very varied
    I'm sure there are some MOBA comparisons to be made, but as I've never played one, I can't do so. So it brings to mind for me a bunch of stuff all bundled together. Instead, to me it's just nice to have something that is pretty much pure PVP without being shooting people in the face. It reminds me in the balance of things, and the immediacy of combat you can mess with in EVE Online, mashed in with being the commander guy in Total Annihilation.

The simplicity of controls on the controller is a godsend for ageing fuddy-duddies like me, as is the apparently stoic pace of the game, although once the fighting starts, especially after leveling up, those tenths-of-seconds differences in cooldown time for abilities can make all the difference in whether you win or lose.

I think I really enjoy the purity of it, too - everyone is playing it to get into an immediate, player-versus-player struggle, albeit one balanced, imbalanced and structured so that you really need team mates at some stage in the game to either 'push the lanes' or to win Guardian versus fights. There's no real overarching story, politics, plotlines or other strategic stuff to keep tabs on beyond the equipment you can buy to make your character better, and although it can be frustrating to lose, it's always at least informative to lose to good players, and it isn't like you weren't playing a game of winning and losing, anyway!
  • RedSparrows 19 Dec 2012 13:55:30 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll be on all night. Flat to myself, work finished. Cider + shouting at shit netcode ahoy!

Simp - I've not played MOBAs either, so no idea what this is like in comparison, but I agree with you. It just... works (connection permitting). Lots of little things - lovely spell effects, the terrible but somehow endearing voice acting, the teamplay and sheer variety of possible styles.

Edited by RedSparrows at 13:56:39 19-12-2012
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 21:46:30
    So that was successful.
  • RedSparrows 19 Dec 2012 21:47:36 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I LOVE THIS GAME

I HATE THIS GAME
  • Daz190uk 19 Dec 2012 23:11:14 70 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Loving Thrain at the moment.

His abilities are such a great combo. Shield up, go in for the kill with normal attacks then when they're low stun and throw the hammer.

Awesome.
  • RedSparrows 20 Dec 2012 02:29:14 22,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Epic Elite BG game. 45 minutes! Victory!
  • glo 20 Dec 2012 10:26:29 3,425 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    it was indeed an epic battle (not helped by my shoddy performance) but I am regretting staying up til 2am now that I am sat here at work staring blankly at my PC.

/yawns and wonders whether he can get away with having a nap at work since the boss is away...
  • DFawkes 20 Dec 2012 10:28:22 23,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've only just found out you unlock Gandalf by doing all the tutorials. I skipped them at first, preferring to jump right in given it's similar enough to othe MOBAs to make it fairly straightforward. That was silly of me :p

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• agparrot 20 Dec 2012 12:36:05 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Epic Elite BG game. 45 minutes! Victory!
    I think I managed a sterling 1 kill and 11 deaths playing as the complete idiot Felgrom. He raced up to level 4, probably ahead of everyone else, burning mobs and placing barrels and stuff, but... he's really, really difficult to use unless you have at least one, and probably two supporting players, and there isn't really a lot of pay-off for keeping him alive, with even his 'ultimate' attack not really any use even with ability boosts.

Still, a win is a win - I certainly felt like that one was undeserved for me, the biggest contribution I made was as a distraction, or occasionally holding people up with the barrels and stun-lob thing. Oh, and feeding the enemy kills, of course!

Losing that really, really close game because of that dude who kept running off on his own was pretty annoying, too!

Just before bed, Red and I got crushed in about 6 minutes by a team full of damage dealers, who were clearly all working together. CRUSHED! Was actually pretty impressive on their part.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last