Guardians of Middle Earth Page 5

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• RedSparrows 17 Dec 2012 22:07:35 24,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A download was up tonight - 3MB TU.

Unfortunately as you csn't play with people without the patch, it was actually quite hard to get a game with anyone on the game already (who had been on during the patch upload).

Didn't notice too much difference, but hopefully tomorrow it should even out... I'm assuming this was the promised patch.
  • Benno 17 Dec 2012 22:48:13 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's been terrible tonight. Every game has been a lag fest, haven't had one good game.
  • S1ates 17 Dec 2012 22:59:52 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @RedSparrows yeah I noticed that too, had to get my friends to restart the game, still finding it hard to get a match in a pre-made party though *sigh*

I guess it's early days so we will see what they do about it.
  • RedSparrows 18 Dec 2012 12:10:13 24,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So far patch seems to have done its job: only had a couple of issues - the actual matchmaking seems much faster.
  • glo 18 Dec 2012 12:15:44 3,438 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's good news. I downloaded the patch last night and tried getting into a game but didn't have much luck. Hopefully it will be working better this evening.
  • agparrot 18 Dec 2012 12:37:49 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Downloaded the patch last night, and had three games in a row with disconnections - something I'd not experienced before.

It was particularly annoying in the third game, where for the first time ever I'd managed to draw first blood after a particularly nifty root, boost and smash thingy.

Playing with randoms wasn't as much fun as with real people - especially when they don't have a sense for when is the right time to run away, and when is the right time to press the advantage. I'm sure I'm still getting used to it, but having put in the work to isolate and almost murder Gandalf, it was disconcerting that when one more blow would have killed him, and my powers are spent, the ally who was near enough to him to finish him off turned away and went to capture a shrine! Nooooo!

I did have a great deal of fun as Eowyn, being all healer-y and shield-y and stuff. It plays to my strengths as a support player - I really haven't found the rhythm enough to string together successful Guardian kills - I think I go in too early with Roots and Stuns, I should wait until they turn to run before holding them up.
  • RedSparrows 18 Dec 2012 12:52:33 24,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The netcode can still be iffy, but the matchmaking is better - for me, anyway.

Some proper good people/teams have been drubbing me :(
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Dec 2012 13:58:25 26,615 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I spent a little while last night trying to get my head around belts, relics and gems.

It is still a mystery to me.
  • DFawkes 18 Dec 2012 14:20:02 24,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What part is tripping you up? I think at it's core it's fairly simple - you have a belt. You can slot relics onto the belt, and you slots gems into the relics.

The main thing I'm not sure about is whether the gems are always active, or are only active when the relic they're slotted into is active (relics are activated as you level, from left to right).

Typing that out I realising how little sense it probably makes. There certainly seems to be lots of depth to the system.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• MrSensible 18 Dec 2012 14:35:50 25,373 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it easy to pick up? I've never played a game like this before and don't want people shouting at me for one little thing I did wrong that ruined our chances or something. Extra point if I can kind of keep to myself while still helping out a team!
  • glo 18 Dec 2012 14:40:00 3,438 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's pretty easy to pick up if you play with some friendly people who can go over the basics with you. A few matches with EGers should have you sorted.

Extra point is awarded so long as you play the 3 lane version. Avoid the 1 lane matches if you want to keep to yourself.
  • DFawkes 18 Dec 2012 14:40:54 24,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's far easier than any other game of it's type, otherwise I'd have given up within 5 minutes ;)

You should pick up the basics within 10 minutes, and it's a lot harder to do something that'll get you shouted at, but there are a few things that feel a bit counter-intuitive at first. Like not going in swords blazing all the time - you're there to support the little soldiers, not take over. So there are times you'll be standing within a few steps of enemy players, yet not attacking them as you're carving up little enemy soldiers to level up.

I'd definitely recommend giving the trial a go. There's enough there to get a feel for it.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• neilqpr 18 Dec 2012 14:43:49 2,865 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The in game training will give you the basics, a couple of custom games v bots to grasp the basics some more, then a couple of games with EGers to gain valuable insight.

You'll be confused for a few hours then the fog will rise. Though I'm still a complete n00b I'm really enjoying it.
  • DFawkes 18 Dec 2012 14:55:08 24,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, firing off arrows as Legolas is always fun :)

/not an edit because of my stupidity

Edited by DFawkes at 15:03:36 18-12-2012

• agparrot 18 Dec 2012 15:04:58 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    What part is tripping you up? I think at it's core it's fairly simple - you have a belt. You can slot relics onto the belt, and you slots gems into the relics.

The main thing I'm not sure about is whether the gems are always active, or are only active when the relic they're slotted into is active (relics are activated as you level, from left to right).

Typing that out I realising how little sense it probably makes. There certainly seems to be lots of depth to the system.
    It made perfect sense to me!

I admit I'm still a bit in the dark about belts generally, although I did figure out that it has seven slots, and each slot activates based on what level you are in the game - the pattern is 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 for the gems being activated if you do not use relics and only slot gems directly into the belt.

If you do use relics, then the width of the relic dictates the level at which the gems become active in it, I think. So, a measly 2-slot relic will activate its gems at level 4, and a 4-slot relic at level 8. This is counting from the left of the belt, to the right, as it is perfectly possible, however stupid, to put a single gem, without a relic, in slot 7, and that is the only thing that you ever activate should you reach level 14 and have left the slots for levels 2 to 12 empty.

Yeah, reads like double-dutch, even to me.

Edited by agparrot at 15:05:39 18-12-2012
  • DFawkes 18 Dec 2012 15:11:46 24,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can slot gems directly in your belt? I didn't know that. Not sure I'd want to most of the time, though I'll probably stick spares there.

I do love the system though, making to so you can customise just how powerful you become as games go on, and in what way. I'm still at noob level, but I get a health boost at 4 then a nice attack boost at 8 :)

Edited by DFawkes at 15:12:21 18-12-2012

• agparrot 18 Dec 2012 15:12:01 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bloody Hell.

So, if you've got two 2-slot relics, right, then the slot that the right-hand gem covers is the level at which each is activated.

So, Relic one will be activated on the second slot of the belt, at level 4, and relic two at the fourth slot of the belt, at level 8.

If you had a 2-slot followed by a 4-slot, then they'd activate at levels 4 and 12.

I wish I could draw a picture of it

0-0-0-0-0-0-0
    2-4-6-8-A-C-E

Where A is level 10, C is 12 and E is 14 so it doesn't get out of line.

It would probably start something like that, being empty belt.

X-X-X-X-X-X-X
    2-4-6-8-A-C-E

Each gem X would activate as you reached the levels shown beneath them.

Is a belt full of just single gems.

|XoX|-|XoX|-|XoX|-X
    -2-4---6-8---A-C--E

This is a belt with three 2-slot relics denoted as |XoX| and a single X Gem. The right-most number relating to the Gem is that when the entire relic, and its constituent gems, are activated, I THINK.

SO - The relics would be activated at levels 4, 8, and 12, with the final single gem activating at 14, if my diagram lined up properly.

Edited by agparrot at 15:16:25 18-12-2012
  • DFawkes 18 Dec 2012 15:14:20 24,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think that's spot on. I really did think it was super simple until I actually thought about it!

• RedSparrows 18 Dec 2012 16:03:01 24,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Relics only activate once all gems in that relic do.

Each gem activates after two levels, from left to right.

A 2 slot relic, positioned first, will therefore take 2 gems to work - 4 levels (2 x 2).

A 3 slot first will take 6.

A 4 slot, 8.

So a 2-3-2 combination would activate at levels 4, 10, 14.
  • agparrot 18 Dec 2012 16:21:22 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, I have just noticed that the gems do activate individually, so a 2-slot relic won't work when you reach level 2, but the first Gem in the relic will... with the relic then kicking in at level 4.

Previously I thought the entire relic stayed inactive until all the gems in it were active, but that was wrong!
  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2012 16:24:05 44,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Want to give this a try, but it sounds a bit baffling (in the vein of Fusion Genesis, which I loved but never fully understood). How in-at-the-deep-end is this, and how confusing does it continue to be?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RedSparrows 18 Dec 2012 16:40:22 24,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ARFG TEAM MATES! Feeding MORONS.

Galadriel + ab c/down gems is awesomely annoying to fight.
  • RedSparrows 18 Dec 2012 16:41:01 24,248 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not that hard LB!
  • agparrot 18 Dec 2012 16:54:50 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, it's probably less baffling than Fusion Genesis overall LB - it doesn have some complexity in the loadouts, but nothing horrific.

It's like Fusion: Genesis Versus mode in some ways, all buffs and powers and stuff, and at first it seems befuddling, but once you've played with the characters it does start to make more sense.

There are 60 free minutes of the full game to play with, so a good chance to find out, and an unlimited amount of time in the more gentle training section.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2012 16:56:13 44,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One to give a try then, I think.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• neilqpr 18 Dec 2012 17:25:14 2,865 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is Lugbol a really easy character to use?

I just played my first match with him vs bots and I got 22 kills and only one death. I'm rubbish so I guess he must be good!
  • DFawkes 18 Dec 2012 17:33:11 24,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's not my style of character, but he does have that very nice health leeching power and his passive ability that gives you a power boost can tip the balance in your favour. His basic attacks aren't up to much, but his abilities are awesome - especially that Wolf of his :)

Edited by DFawkes at 17:33:42 18-12-2012

• neilqpr 18 Dec 2012 17:36:31 2,865 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I've just stacked my belt so my ability attributes are maxed out. Reckon he might be the way forward for me!
  • agparrot 18 Dec 2012 17:39:12 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To my shame, I struggle in the practice games I have with Lugbol as an AI. Especially if I'm Eowyn or something - even with Gandalf and myself ganging up on Lugbol he's a tricksy bast to take down, especially if you can't stop him getting back to his own tower.

I think I was wrong about Rooting - the process of freezing enemy Guardians in place - I've been doing rooting too late, actually, when I should do it early and then unleash whatever other powers I have, and close in for basic attacks too - has netted me many more AI kills anyway - can't really play online during normal hours so I'm just practicing. I know that playing real people is always much more challenging.

Might use Legolas again, his ability to stay far away at the beginning, but still cause damage with the bow is pretty cool, although he obviously gets in trouble if he gets swamped at close quarters. Also he seems like a wimp, so could be good to lure enemies back towards somebody hiding in the bushes.
  • DFawkes 18 Dec 2012 17:44:52 24,069 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite like Legolas. As you say, he can get in trouble up close, but he has that dash power that can get you out of trouble most of the time (unless rooted or silenced) and he has that close range Root power of his own.

I quite fancy trying out Haldir, but don't want to risk spending all that Gold on him if I don't like him.

All the stats on on this GoME Wiki, should you want to browse.

• Page

of 10 First / Last