Guardians of Middle Earth

• Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous
  • RedSparrows 8 Dec 2012 19:27:13 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Or 'Guardians of M-E', as it's known on the console. ME CRIPPLES LIVES.

Thought I'd post this up: if the game takes off a bit then we'll need a place to chat shit. If it dies then it's only a thread.

So, to continue from the XBLA thread:

Just learned that the patch includes a new 3-lane map for free, set in The Shire, and is aimed at fixing matchmaking issues.

For what it's worth, the core game is clearly well-made, and the devs seem keen on supporting it for a while. Shall update ye all after the patch and we shall see...

Edit:

Some infos -

Wikia

GoME is a console only MOBA, released on XBLA and PSN on something like 4/12/12. It's pretty good, too. So far, anyway.

Edited by RedSparrows at 12:23:09 09-12-2012
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 20:06:27
    Frustrating. It's clearly a good game but at the moment the netcode leaves a lot to be desired.

It's got me thinking about it when I'm not playing so it definitely gets its hooks in. Hoping it takes off.
  • Benno 8 Dec 2012 20:11:39 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this that MOBA they were making? Is that out now?

I might check it out, would be up for some EG games
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 20:23:06
    Yeah, it's a MOBA and it's built with consoles in mind. As such the controls are intuitive without impacting depth.

They chose a really good license in LOTR too. It seems really strange that it released with no fanfare, I'd never heard of it until now.
  • RedSparrows 8 Dec 2012 20:28:43 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's all very promising. other than the netcode.

As I said, however, there is a patch already dated for the 14th.

Some games (Fusion: Genesis) had their patches in cert for... ever.
  • hypoBla5t 8 Dec 2012 21:30:19 1,264 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any form of local co-op or multiplayer on this chaps?
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 21:47:35
    Sorry, no local as far as I can tell.
  • RedSparrows 8 Dec 2012 21:50:26 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just thinking - perhaps this should be in General, for PS3 players too?
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 23:23:31
    Aye, any mods available?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Dec 2012 23:49:32 36,279 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oooooh go on then.

Downloaded the trial earlier, and I've done the tutorial. Still need to play this properly though.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• RedSparrows 8 Dec 2012 23:59:08 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ta Mr Tom.

We could arrange a custom on 360 so you can get to grips a bit.
  • AccidentProne 9 Dec 2012 00:00:11 1,128 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wasn't too sure after the tutorial. Having never played this kind of game before I was somewhat overwhelmed. Just watched the giant bomb quick look which, along with the positive comments in here, has convinced me to give it a go.

Not sure about the season pass though... Guess its preferable to a bunch of free to play type micro transactions, but I'd prefer a level playing field. Hopefully it won't be an issue though.

Edited by AccidentProne at 00:00:59 09-12-2012
  • RedSparrows 9 Dec 2012 10:13:28 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think the other characters will imbalance it (assuming they are designed properly), as there are something like 20 characters already in game - should be enough to have a comeback against the new ones.

Also, had three games last night, and none were plagued with lag. Hurrah!

Edited by RedSparrows at 10:22:34 09-12-2012
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 12:38:48
    As I'm getting my head around the concept I'm liking the game more and more. I'm loving its ebb and flow.

I'm disappointed that it's had little to no publicity.
  • Daz190uk 9 Dec 2012 12:53:41 67 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Strange that this has gone under the radar - metacritic is a very good 81.

Tried the demo and it seems good just a little concerned by lag.
  • Benno 9 Dec 2012 16:40:40 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's laggy as fuck. The core gameplay is pretty good though. Why has this not been advertised anywhere? No one is playing because no one knows it exists. It's hidden in the Xbox dash behind the 20 layers of in-your-face adverts.
  • Dizzy 9 Dec 2012 16:51:00 2,443 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TBH it is pretty weak for a MOBA IMHO. Kills don't really give you anything to snowball. So you can lose a 50-0 game... something unheard of in moba land.
  • RedSparrows 9 Dec 2012 16:58:14 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What do you mean Dizzy? I ain't no MOBA player.

When it works it works well. Again, hope the patch sorts it.

For Jive's benefit, and anyone else's (who hasn't played MMOs etc)

BELTS!

Belts are made up of relics and gems: they are a key way of customising a character in a variety of significant ways.

Relics and gems come in five colours:

Green - health boosts
    Red - attack boosts
    Purple - cooldown reductions
    Blue - ability boosts
    Yellow - movement/CC [crowd control] boosts/reductions

So, the belt has seven gem slots. You can slot a gem in and, every two levels, from left to right, the gem activates.

each * is a gem in the belt. So far, so good? Each gem provides a little buff, depending on colour etc.

But, to really customise your toon, relics are needed.

Relics come in 2, 3 and 4 gem-slot sizes. I.e. you have 7 spaces, and so can have any combination that adds up to 7 - or even 2 + 2 + 2 relics + 1 extra gem. It's entirely up to you depending on how you want to customise.

Each relic provides its own bonus - usually a pretty decent one - provided the gems socketed into it become active. I.e. a relic will activate after all the gems within have activated, so the activation time depends on the size/position of the relic.

E.g. a Two gem relic placed at the start of the belt will take 4 levels to activate (2 gems, 2 levels each, etc.) a 4 gem belt will need 8 levels. HOWEVER, each gem within the relic will activate as normal - 2 levels a pop. It's just the relic that won't turn on until all gems are active.

Relics require particular gem colours to be slotted, therefore limit your choice a bit - but the payoff is usually worth it.
  • repairmanjack 9 Dec 2012 17:24:12 5,956 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for explaining that. I'm keen to get back to this later but confess I'm not finding anything that intuitive.

And just to reiterate: if you are enjoying this make sure you try the Awesomenauts trial too. It's one of my games of the year.
  • RedSparrows 9 Dec 2012 17:38:29 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd happily dig into Awesomenautes, except for the fact the dev isn't supporting the 360 version anymore. I'm keen on G of ME as it's console only, and so they kinda have to - at least, they do seem to give a shit atm.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Dec 2012 18:44:20 24,559 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been intrigued by the MOBA concept for a while now, but have been put off by the reportedly uber hardcore nature of the PC community. Sounds like this could be ideal, I'll give it a try tonight.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 18:55:28
    Having never played a moba I love it. Kills are satisfying as they have to be worked for.

Dizzy, are you referencing some kind of killstreak?
  • RedSparrows 9 Dec 2012 18:58:04 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I assume snowballing is rewards for kills.

But I like it that you can still lose at 50-0 up (if I read it right) - that sounds like a good thing to me. But I can't be sure about what Dizzy meant.

SH, it could be laggy. Be warned!

AA, you are correct: getting kills is so satisfying.

Edited by RedSparrows at 19:00:31 09-12-2012
  • Benno 9 Dec 2012 19:06:56 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snowballing I think is the slow cumulative build up of power. In PC MOBAs you have items which massively boost your character (they have more effect than levels). Killing an enemy nets you a comparatively high amount of gold so the more enemies you kill, the more powerful your team would be.

This doesn't really happen here because the benefit of killing another hero is quite low (just some xp).

Although levels are much more important in this it seems.
  • Benno 9 Dec 2012 19:08:04 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The gameplay is a good start to be honest, the terrible net code is holding it back for me. I cant believe it was released like this. How can 10 players lag it so much?
  • RedSparrows 9 Dec 2012 19:13:32 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I like the way this works more than the sound of that: that sounds like most games would be decided pretty quickly, whereas this can ebb and flow a bit.
  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 19:28:25
    Does sound like a team that gets the upper hand gets more opportunity to dominate. Without playing it I couldn't really say.
  • glo 9 Dec 2012 19:42:17 3,415 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Being enjoying some games against the bots in the demo. Keep getting too cocky and getting killed though. Not brave enough to test my feeble skills and lack of understanding against real folk yet though.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 9 Dec 2012 19:50:23 36,279 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm just gonna jump online and go for it in a few mins. Then get all butt-hurt and never play the game again :-D

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• RedSparrows 9 Dec 2012 19:51:03 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EG 360 team! Pro leet noob crushing or something.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous