Got to be worth a go for a fiver?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Murbal 8 Dec 2012 14:51:36 22,369 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Or is it?

We're mostly fairly mature gamers with responsibilities elsewhere. Jobs, families, college courses. Our gaming time is precious; there's not enough time to play everything we want and there are AAA games in our backlogs. Yet we're drawn to that game going for next to nothing (and as it's closing in on sale time there'll be plenty of them about). Didn't review well, but got to be worth a go for a fiver?

Not for me. Not any more. It's a decision I came to a while back. I see that now as 5 saved; 5 off that 34.99 game I really want (now it's 29.99! I have my own issues).

So my question is this - what makes a game we didn't look at twice at full price suddenly worthy of our time at a bargain bucket price?
  • drhcnip 8 Dec 2012 14:57:35 2,534 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    personally, sometimes a fiver is all i've got spare after all those responsibilities are catered for so i have to rely on the cheapies to get me through

also, i have a penchant for the lesser respected titles anyway, other people's turds are my marmite....or something like that - often the aaa titles are those i have least interest in
  • GuiltySpark 8 Dec 2012 14:58:39 6,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just don't buy shit games, no matter the price.

Get bent.

• elstoof 8 Dec 2012 15:17:22 7,738 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If its something I got for pence on the iPhone I'll happily forget about it. If I've spend good dollar on it I'm going to wring that cunt for every last moment of strained enjoyment it's worth. It was the same when downloading music was the rage, I ended up with a load of albums I couldn't be bothered to invest time in, I'd rather have transaction of my money for a product which I'm going to learn to appreciate.
  • Cappy 8 Dec 2012 15:19:10 12,021 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the PS2 with the massive volume of releases it was entirely possible you'd end up missing something interesting and a copy for a paltry fiver was very welcome.

These days the stuff lurking in the bargain bin has been rejected by me at various price points already, there's simply no price low enough. I don't care what price a Ubisoft game is for instance I just don't want to waste my time on their tearing, juddering glitch fests.

I miss the bargain bins having hidden treasure. :-(

Edited by Cappy at 15:21:50 08-12-2012
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 15:23:52
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    I just don't buy shit games, no matter the price.
    This.
  • Syrette 8 Dec 2012 15:33:08 43,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bit of advice to you console gamers:

RENT.

Forget paying full price on release day. Forget waiting till it's a fiver. Pay a few pints worth every month and just rent your titles.

• RobTheBuilder 8 Dec 2012 15:38:23 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's about risk. No one wants to risk 30 quid on a game that you might not like, but a fiver is a much lower risk.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Dec 2012 15:41:55 14,963 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:

RENT.

Forget paying full price on release day. Forget waiting till it's a fiver. Pay a few pints worth every month and just rent your titles.
    I do this, but I also buy games! trying to cut that down though. I rented Hitman,Fam Guy,NFS and Spec Ops recently, normally I would have bought at least 3 of those, so money saved I feel.

Next year I intend buying Bioshock 3, Gears 4 and GTA 5 upon release, and look to rent the rest of the games out. If the "720" comes out I will be buying that though.

My magic price for a title I had passing interest in is sub 20.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• octo 8 Dec 2012 15:43:13 979 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    So my question is this - what makes a game we didn't look at twice at full price suddenly worthy of our time at a bargain bucket price?
    I don't wan to sound facetious, but surely it's the price?

Alpha Protocol was not a game I was ever going to spend 30 on. At a fiver, it practically bullied the money out of my wallet.
  • DFawkes 8 Dec 2012 16:17:47 23,315 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wish I'd bought Alpha Protocol on release, then maybe it'd have had a sequel. It's single handedly my fault, and I'm sorry.

I don't think I've ever bought a game cheap I wouldn't have at least considered at full price. Maybe Pro Evo, as I'm not a huge football fan but just fancied it after playing elsewhere.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• jonsaan 8 Dec 2012 16:29:50 25,360 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thread title sounds dirty.

FCUTA!

• gelf 8 Dec 2012 17:11:19 188 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Barely buy any game at full price anymore as I feel no game is worth its launch price unless it starts at a low price initially. Am happy to wait for sales or price drops for virtually everything.

I'll never buy anything I think is below average just because its cheap though I may take a risk on a popular game that I'm not sure I'd like but feel I have to see what the fuss is about.

The occasional game makes me want to buy earier to support the developer but that's rare.
  • hypernova 8 Dec 2012 18:25:46 1,967 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:

RENT.

Blockbuster have increased their prices - 6 quid for five days _
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 18:27:46
    Time is more valuable to me than money. I'm not going to waste my time playing a mediocre/shit gam. Also, people that take into consideration 'value for money' when buying games are destroying gaming.
  • RobTheBuilder 8 Dec 2012 18:28:38 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have got some amazing games for a fiver or less:

Lumines 2, rock band unplugged for Psp
    Mad world on Wii
    Various indie PC games
  • smoothpete 8 Dec 2012 18:54:58 31,574 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    other people's turds are my marmite
    Wonderful quote, taken out of context :)
  • GuiltySpark 8 Dec 2012 19:47:17 6,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

Mad world on Wii
    Various indie PC games
    What an odd selection of games.

Get bent.

• RobTheBuilder 8 Dec 2012 19:58:03 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @GuiltySpark All excellent though! Got lots of decent PSP, DS and Wii games for that price too.
    Also got loads of good 360 games for 6-7 quid
  • mal 8 Dec 2012 21:19:42 22,691 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Best game for a fiver I've ever bought is Rhythm Heaven on the DS, bought in the sales last year. Anyone with a machine capable of playing DS games really ought to get this, and usefully I saw it for a fiver in Morrison's the other day, or you can get it for slightly more from Amazon, especially if you never imported Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA.

I only bought it for a fiver because I'd not noticed its release, and that was the first time I came across it.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 8 December 2012 21:23:30
    I won't buy games just because they're cheap.
  • RobTheBuilder 8 Dec 2012 21:27:06 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal I got that for four quid during one of the Game clear outs... Good fun.
  • elstoof 8 Dec 2012 22:26:59 7,738 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

Mad world on Wii
    Various indie PC games
    What an odd selection of games.
    Yeah, why didn't you type COD, COD 2 and COD 3 like a normal person.

Edited by elstoof at 22:27:23 08-12-2012
  • robthehermit 8 Dec 2012 22:28:47 4,155 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I often buy games because they're cheap. It feeds my obsession with owning stuff. Today I ordered Homefront Ultimate Edition because it was only 5.31 from Amazon. Does that make me a bad person?

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• elstoof 8 Dec 2012 22:31:36 7,738 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    people that take into consideration 'value for money' when buying games are destroying gaming.
    Absolutely, I remember getting the bus into Piccadilly Circus to give Tower Records all of my pocket money because I was so desperate to play Mario Bros 3 on launch day. Where's that enthusiasm gone, everyone seems happy to wait until it's available for a bargain before buying it. All your doing is killing the chance of more from the same team.
  • robthehermit 8 Dec 2012 22:55:33 4,155 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do buy a fair few games on release. Off the top of my head Lego LotR, Sonic Racing Transformed, Kingdoms of Amalur, ME3, Dragons Dogma, Far Cry 3. There have probably been others this year as well. I generally have 3 price points when it comes to games:

Full price: Games I really want on release day, or close to it (thanks Amazon)

20 or less: Games I'm interested in, but in no hurry to play

10 or less: Everything else.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• mal 8 Dec 2012 23:04:23 22,691 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Also, people that take into consideration 'value for money' when buying games are destroying gaming.
    Yeah, fuck Crash and Zzap readers.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• RobTheBuilder 8 Dec 2012 23:18:04 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Also, people that take into consideration 'value for money' when buying games are destroying gaming.
    If that wasn't Mocking then that is a remarkably stupid thing to say.

I'd love to spend 30 quid on every game I like the look of, but I can't. So I have to judge how best to spend the money I can afford to. Remember that if I like a game I buy cheaply I'm more likely to pay full price for the sequel.
  • Triggerhappytel 8 Dec 2012 23:22:20 2,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I used to buy a lot of dirt cheap games not necessarily because I wanted them, but purely because they were cheap. I've really dialled that back now though; I've already got a huge backlog this gen and these days my gaming time is too infrequent to waste on mediocre games.
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Dec 2012 01:20:52 11,339 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    AAA, AAAA and AAAAAAAAA can go fuck itself.
    One of my most memorable gas this gen was Alpha Protocol and it cost hee-haw.
    Some of those 5 quid 7/10 games can be great.
    Having said that, we should try and resist buying everything that gets 75% off in a Steam Sale as it's a bargain, if you're a multi platform adult gamer it's impossible to play all good games so yeah, I see the point if the OP.
    /Not yet awake

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous