First gaming PC here tues, what things do I HAVE to have? Page 3

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

  • Deleted user 9 December 2012 03:00:05
    Cave Story is free - you'd be an utter mong not to play it.

    Although if you pay for it your more likely to play it. PC gaming is more about smaller interesting titles that you can't buy from sainsbruys, get steam, add us up, collet games you won't play, play portal without feel like a fool, point and click, play next gen games now because you're dreaming if you think PS/MS are going that route. Hope that your spec will support the next coming of christ A.K.A. the next valve games, get slightly obsessive of the latest arcade encryption to be broken (you've missed CPS2 - geekasm), play ron gilberts games, filter through Sierra library whilst checking if it's really worth it, see mark hamill fight the kilrathai with malcom mcdowell. touch fuzzy get dizzy, wonder at capcoms very good ports that have no after support or dlc, play quake.

    Grim fandango.

    EDIT: MEET THE MILKMAN!! psychonauts

    Edited by CrispyXUK at 03:01:27 09-12-2012
  • speed182 9 Dec 2012 07:09:01 895 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't buy a wired 360 controller, buy a wireless adapter. Cheaper and like you said you have controllers already.


    13 from Amazon, the one I use. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000MGVAAQ

    PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

  • neems 9 Dec 2012 08:18:47 1,081 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quite a few games don't work with wireless controllers, if you already have a wired 360 controller just use that.
  • christourlord 9 Dec 2012 10:35:53 2,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Every game I've tried mine with works great. Which games do you mean?
  • BillMurray 9 Dec 2012 10:52:38 7,235 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Get yourself a nice pair of 5.1 gaming headphones with a mic built in.
  • Trafford 9 Dec 2012 11:09:17 5,270 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Cave Story is free - you'd be an utter mong not to play it.

    Although if you pay for it your more likely to play it. PC gaming is more about smaller interesting titles that you can't buy from sainsbruys, get steam, add us up, collet games you won't play, play portal without feel like a fool, point and click, play next gen games now because you're dreaming if you think PS/MS are going that route. Hope that your spec will support the next coming of christ A.K.A. the next valve games, get slightly obsessive of the latest arcade encryption to be broken (you've missed CPS2 - geekasm), play ron gilberts games, filter through Sierra library whilst checking if it's really worth it, see mark hamill fight the kilrathai with malcom mcdowell. touch fuzzy get dizzy, wonder at capcoms very good ports that have no after support or dlc, play quake.

    Grim fandango.

    EDIT: MEET THE MILKMAN!! psychonauts
    Fantastic, lovely piece of Dadaism.
    Bravo Crispy.
  • Moot_Point 9 Dec 2012 11:16:51 3,513 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Sex dungeon for children. May as well if you are going to start calling yourself a PC gamer.
    Haven't you got a dog to abuse?
    Shush now nonce boy.
    Said the manchild who will probably end up buying a WiiU.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

  • FogHeart 9 Dec 2012 11:32:09 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    VLC media player for playing media with pactically any codec, without any bullshit letmebeyourlibrary or shopatmystore stuff.
  • Lexx87 9 Dec 2012 11:34:21 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I actually prefer Media Player Classic over VLC these days.

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • Dirtbox 9 Dec 2012 11:36:57 76,340 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Real men use PotPlayer with a nice zune skin.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • kadooosh 9 Dec 2012 12:03:39 1,197 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    speed182 wrote:
    Don't buy a wired 360 controller, buy a wireless adapter. Cheaper and like you said you have controllers already.


    13 from Amazon, the one I use. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000MGVAAQ
    Ill give that adaptor a go first see how i grt on with the pad on pc.cheers
  • kadooosh 9 Dec 2012 12:05:38 1,197 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Get yourself a nice pair of 5.1 gaming headphones with a mic built in.
    Sold a pair of tritton ax720's a while ago as i moved into my first owned house and thought i will be able to use my new soundbar properly! Should have kept them!

    Anyone recommend a decent set for under 50quid?
  • BillMurray 9 Dec 2012 12:17:17 7,235 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/gamecom-777

    These are mine I think. They seem to do the job pretty well. They were 70 quid of so a few years ago when I bought them so they should be pretty cheap now.
  • monkehhh 9 Dec 2012 12:56:32 3,131 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    I actually prefer Media Player Classic over VLC these days.
    This +1000000.

    (Well, + a bit, MPC-HC is a lot better for HD stuff and using all sorts of fancy things. VLC is a great because it will try to play just about anything you throw at it.)

    Edited by monkehhh at 13:02:48 09-12-2012
  • Rens11 9 Dec 2012 13:07:11 1,256 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kadooosh wrote:
    Ive got a 7850 2gb gpu , it easy to get the drivers? Also, have got steam and bought skyrim, new vegas, torchlight 2 and the last humble bundle.

    Will no doubt get sucked into the steam sales!
    you want to get either msi overdrive or sapphire trixx and overclock that baby past 1050mhz. Also get HWmonitor to keep an eye on temps

    Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

  • kadooosh 9 Dec 2012 15:52:00 1,197 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    kadooosh wrote:
    Ive got a 7850 2gb gpu , it easy to get the drivers? Also, have got steam and bought skyrim, new vegas, torchlight 2 and the last humble bundle.

    Will no doubt get sucked into the steam sales!
    you want to get either msi overdrive or sapphire trixx and overclock that baby past 1050mhz. Also get HWmonitor to keep an eye on temps
    No idea what any of that is yrt! Havent a clue how to overclock either..will look into that when im up and running
  • Syrette 9 Dec 2012 15:55:33 41,872 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    An elitist attitude.

  • atomicjuicer 9 Dec 2012 16:06:05 274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Funnily enough, not many games mentioned so far!

    /keeps consoles and portables
  • monkehhh 9 Dec 2012 16:17:45 3,131 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some games off my Steam list -

    Amnesia
    Arma / DayZ
    Dark Souls (with DSFix)
    Dungeons of Dredmor
    Frozen Synapse
    FTL
    Gemini Rue
    All the Half-Lifes
    Hotline Miami
    Planetside 2
    Minecraft
    Legend of Grimrock
    Modded Skyrim
    SpaceChem
    STALKER
    Torchlight 2
    Tribes Ascend
    VVVVVV

    - and read http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Dec 2012 16:25:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kadooosh To be honest with that card you don't particularly need to overclock. However the software recommended will make it easy to make small overclocks.
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Dec 2012 16:25:34 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • kadooosh 9 Dec 2012 17:54:04 1,197 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @kadooosh To be honest with that card you don't particularly need to overclock. However the software recommended will make it easy to make small overclocks.
    That's good to know!
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Dec 2012 18:06:10 35,172 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    atomicjuicer wrote:
    Funnily enough, not many games mentioned so far!

    /keeps consoles and portables
    Bit difficult to recommend games on a platform with a back catalogue hat goes back 20+ years, tons of exclusives and 90% of all console games available without any hint what the OP likes. This ain't the Vita.
  • kadooosh 9 Dec 2012 22:27:55 1,197 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @UncleLou

    True. Tbh, I'm into mainly Fps's and RPG's hence Why I've got sky rim already bought even though I have 50+ hrs clocked onXbox.

    want games that look great or are immersive will probably try The Witcher aswell.

    sort of tempted by The Old Republic... notsure, just looking forward toloads of random games I've never heard of too.

    BF3 seems to be a must, again have8 days on Xbox multiplayer!

    Edited by kadooosh at 22:28:28 09-12-2012
  • Sharzam 9 Dec 2012 22:42:38 2,118 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the back catalogue, console players really don't understand that. When the think games to play there mind goes back 2years and at most 6years.

    Hell we can run games from the 80's if feel so inclined. No matter your niche or taste your covered.

    Edited by Sharzam at 22:43:25 09-12-2012

    Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

  • Dirtbox 9 Dec 2012 22:46:41 76,340 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    atomicjuicer wrote:
    Funnily enough, not many games mentioned so far!

    /keeps consoles and portables
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/dirtbox/games?tab=all

    I bet I've got more games than you've ever owned.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • OptimusPube 9 Dec 2012 22:54:10 2,414 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Check out the mod community for Skyrim, it's what makes the PC version far superior, it can seem daunting if you're new to it but it's worth it.

    skyrim nexus

    Also go for Portal 1&2 and Minecraft, all of which have excellent mod communities also.

    Other preferences, Security: MSE, SuperantiSpyware, CCleaner, Malwarbytes. Browser: Chrome. Video viewer: Divx.

    Also a few little add-ons for Chrome to make your browsing that little bit smoother: Smooth Scroll, Proxtube, Adblock+, Better Popup Blocker, Hover Zoom, High Contrast.

    And to finish off here's a nice wallpaper. Space Cabin

    Is it supposed to be like this?

  • kadooosh 10 Dec 2012 00:10:16 1,197 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @OptimusPube
    Love that wallpaper!

    Will use chrome aswell, cheers.
  • OptimusPube 10 Dec 2012 00:14:01 2,414 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kadooosh wrote:
    @OptimusPube
    Love that wallpaper!

    Will use chrome aswell, cheers.
    I've had it on my desktop for months that wallpaper, I usually change them quite often but I just love that one.

    Is it supposed to be like this?

  • Salaman 10 Dec 2012 15:09:35 18,247 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only 1 porn recommendation? There's a thread on EG somewhere btu good luck finding that. Play around with variations of "You" and "Tube" and you'll find plenty. Porntube, Youporn, tube8, tubegalore, etc
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

Log in or register to reply