Dark Souls II Page 320

• Page

of 385 First / Last

• Moot_Point 7 May 2014 08:39:27 4,080 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The thing that I totally agree with in the video is the enemy attack patterns. The fact is they made so many changes to the backstab and parry systems within the game, that DEX characters suffer due to this. In demons reducing your equipment burden helped in making backstabs possible, which made sense. In dark low equipment burden and a roll would place you in just the right spot. In dark 2, reducing equipment does nothing to make you more nimble (something that both demons and dark did). Not only that rolling rolls you away from your target and there's no way to stay close, which is a huge step backwards IMO.

I had a feeling DEX builds we're going to be punished when I saw no thief classes. Dark Souls 2 is optimised for STR/FTH/INT builds, and whilst I get some enjoinment from creating such characters, nothing in DS2 has come close to be able in creating a sneaky thief character like in the past Souls games. In this respect, I am left a little bit cold on DS2. Might go back to playing demons now. :)

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• quadfather 7 May 2014 08:40:46 12,142 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @robc84

See what I mean. One comment about a rek makes us want to play it again!

I think its the purity of the first two, demons especially so.

Ds2, while still a great game seems a bit...overloaded...at least what I've seen so far.

Still at pursuer fog gate but I'm definitely going to go back to it soon. Just been a cheap whore with my ps4 recently!

You rolled that new char yet?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Mola_Ram 7 May 2014 08:43:24 7,394 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I personally like that someone can't just roll behind me and do an unavoidable backstab any more. I have issues with this game, but not with the combat.
  • robc84 7 May 2014 08:45:04 5,619 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather

Yeah I agree about Demon's, although I have no real desire to return to DkS1.

Not rolled the new Char yet. I will do though. I'm not overly keen on trying the Crypt again at the moment so I may roll the new Char for something a bit different! Will let you know when I get to the Pursuer gate!

Thinking of making a STR/FTH char. Anyone have any suggestions for early equipment, weapons etc?
  • quadfather 7 May 2014 08:48:54 12,142 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @robc84

I'm sure others will point out stuff, but my first str/fth character did well with the white heide knight sword. Gets a lightning boost from fth and hits pretty hard. I'm still using that on my dex char atm too I think.

Upgrades with normal titanite too.

What about armour. Can someone point me in the right direction for that for my dex build? I was using the drangleic stuff for my str char but it's too heavy for dexy

• robc84 7 May 2014 08:54:46 5,619 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I still use the Heide sword on my dex char when my uchi breaks!

Best dex armour I've come across is the black leather (same as the other games really). But you can't get that until a bit later on. I think I was using my standard bandit armour for quite a while. Slim pickings for dex at the start really. Although I'm sure someone can point something out I missed!
  • quadfather 7 May 2014 08:59:21 12,142 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    OK I'll just carry on with what I'm wearing for now

• TheBlackDog 7 May 2014 09:20:45 393 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @SparkyMarky81 Thanks - it's done now with the power of lightning. Although the problem initially was sorting out the little puppies but I managed to work out a sequence to pick them off with soul arrows before they mobbed me. Quite liked that boss in the end.
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 May 2014 09:41:43 35,556 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Moot_Point Interesting observation. I always go for tank/strength build in these games, anyhow, but I noticed that being able to roll unburdened isn't nearly as important anymore. In DS1, I always wore Havel's ring. In DS2, I basically don't care as long as equipment burden is under 100%.
  • SomaticSense 7 May 2014 09:50:47 8,306 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The lower your burden, the further you roll. What effect this has on your i-frames, or how it actually aids your survivability I've no idea, and is debatable at this point. But I personally still prefer being as light as possible.

The enemy AI's hitboxes being as dodgy as they are, I imagine a longer roll could be quite beneficial.

Edited by SomaticSense at 09:51:46 07-05-2014
  • Telepathic.Geometry 7 May 2014 09:51:47 11,322 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @robc84 I completely agree man. Demon's Souls will always be king for me. The whole thing was just so well crafted, designed and the story and sense of place were all perfect. The characters were great too, and the voice acting.

Also, there was absolutely no fat on that game. And it was the best looking of the lot too.

The biggest disappointments for me in DS II were: the sense of place wasn't there at all, once I left the Forest of Fallen Giants. The final boss was kinda lame. Hitboxes. Also, compared to either Dark Souls or Demon's Souls, the story doesn't make that much sense, the ending doesn't fit didn't make that much sense to me. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls both tied things up beautifully at the end, especially Demon's. DS II needs more exposition, and I never thought I'd say that about a DS game.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Dangerous_Dan 7 May 2014 09:55:15 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Can't comment on NPCs or lore as I'm not far enough in
    This realization that I don't find the lore/atmosphere to be on par with its predecessors (especially Demon's) came later, towards the last third of the game. It started to drag on and all I wanted to do is grind my way through the game as quickly as possible, like a chore which was necessary to get into NG+ .

From a level design point of view -
    I really like the first 10 areas or so, especially Forest of fallen Giants is well designed. I also like the Lost Bastille - What they have in common is that they are much less linear than most of the rest. There are shortcuts, multiple avenues to advance and explore.

No wonder that they had to allow fast travel from the start - If not then people would have realized how linear and badly suited the design is for backtracking through a level.
    That's where Dark Souls 1, up to the Lord Vessel, shines - no fast travel and yet it manages to keep things interesting even if one has to backtrack.
  • mikeck 7 May 2014 09:56:33 1,936 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @robc84

I'm sure others will point out stuff, but my first str/fth character did well with the white heide knight sword. Gets a lightning boost from fth and hits pretty hard. I'm still using that on my dex char atm too I think.

Upgrades with normal titanite too.

What about armour. Can someone point me in the right direction for that for my dex build? I was using the drangleic stuff for my str char but it's too heavy for dexy
    I'm still using it with my soul level 103 DEX/FTH build and it wasn't too much of a struggle to get it to +10 either, in fact it surprised my last night when I fully upgraded it, because I didn't think I'd upgraded it that far (I did do the final three levels in one blacksmith visit though).

Am starting to tinker with the BKH (but I have to change my equipment to reduce the equip load) and also have a Poison Stone enhanced rapier which is pretty nifty too.
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 7 May 2014 09:57:51 414 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Yeah I still use the Heide sword on my dex char when my uchi breaks!

Best dex armour I've come across is the black leather (same as the other games really). But you can't get that until a bit later on. I think I was using my standard bandit armour for quite a while. Slim pickings for dex at the start really. Although I'm sure someone can point something out I missed!
    I'm using the Shadow set on my pure DEX build, the stats are about comparable to black leather but you do look like an awesome ninja. Farming it is tedious though and needs to be done in NG+/bonfire ascetic, but if you're a Fashion Souls addict like me it's worth it. I was using that maxed out, Chaos Blade in one hand and Manslayer in the other, and had no trouble ranking up in the Dragon Covenant, so seems pretty decent.

Edited by Garlvinlandblueblood at 09:59:58 07-05-2014
  • Dangerous_Dan 7 May 2014 10:13:30 2,380 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    @quadfather

Yeah I agree about Demon's, although I have no real desire to return to DkS1.

Not rolled the new Char yet. I will do though. I'm not overly keen on trying the Crypt again at the moment so I may roll the new Char for something a bit different! Will let you know when I get to the Pursuer gate!

Thinking of making a STR/FTH char. Anyone have any suggestions for early equipment, weapons etc?
    It doesn't matter whether strength or quads dex char (or his eventual dex char if he finds time to return to it ;) ) , the strength and dexterity stats are kind of f-ed up in this game. Let's take a normal long sword - A normal long sword at +10 and 40 dex and 40 strength does on average less damage than a lightning or fire +10 long sword at 6 faith and 6 intelligence. That's how un-balanced the scaling is in DkS 2.

And this is not only the case for PvE but for PvP as well.
    So my recommendation would be to get the required stats for a desired weapon but not to waste any more points.

I have a hunter's black bow +10 which should be the perfect weapon for a dex char and although I have 40 dex and a ring of blades +1 equipped, it still is outclassed by an elemental version of the bow plus the appropriate arrows (fire or lightning or magic). Outclassed by far - and in NG+ as well.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 10:15:00 07-05-2014
  • retro74 7 May 2014 12:57:34 236 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I watched that video this morning and have to agree with 99% of it. DkS II is still a 9/10 game but it's still no where near as good as the other two somehow

The most disappointing, broken part of it for me is the soul memory matching. I loved creating low level characters and taking them through to the final boss before going back to help noobs with bosses and invaders

It was the best part of the game and now it isn't even possible. My level 50 character can't really get a summon anywhere apart from the last boss because it has close to a 2 million soul memory

Very frustrating!
  • SomaticSense 7 May 2014 13:13:23 8,306 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Soul Memory isn't the perfect solution, but they had to try something to stop the low level +5 Lightning Claymore newbie bashing that was far too prevalent in Dark 1.

It's a shame your helpful intentions can't be acted on as easily, but there were priorities to fix that were far, far higher.
  • mcmothercruncher 7 May 2014 13:47:31 7,072 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm back in Demon's to grab two trophies for the Platinum. There is still bags to love about it- the music is second to none, the level design is still possibly the most imaginative and, even after all of these years, it still looks great to me.
    Compared to the other two though the movement does feel a bit floaty, I feel more solidly "placed" in the Dark games. That and the slightly smeary graphics filter make it all feel almost dream like.

I'd forgot how wilfully bloody obtuse it is too, especially compared to DS2. The fact you can miss something that is never spelled out to you properly and then fuck things up for the entire playthrough I both admire and resent.
  • azurelas_2 7 May 2014 13:55:31 1,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got the PC-version, and I not used to 60fps at all. It makes the game that much harder.

Looks amazing though (thanks to Durante)
  • Tuffty 7 May 2014 14:09:06 1,587 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do like how the criticism of the game isn't to do with the game itself, but more in comparison with the prior 2 games before it. I think some of the criticisms I've heard of DS2 is reasonable and fair. Even DS1 wasn't perfect. But half of the stuff I do hear does seem a little unfair and too subjective to consider actual complaints with the game itself. That earlier video talks about Freja having a laser attack as a negative because it's nonsensical. Why, that's almost as ridiculous as a spider who spits out lava! Oh wait...

I think we need to keep in mind that there is still much to enjoy and appreciate rather than ruin our own experiences by picking at the tower only to have it all crumble down. To hear comments from other players like how they've lost faith in the series after playing DS2 is frankly, baffling.
  • Exceptional_leg 7 May 2014 14:18:57 103 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    50 hours into my first game and I haven't been invaded by a single player. I know that FromSoftware wanted to reduce early game ganking after DS1, but I feel like they've taken it a little too far the other way now. All feels very desolate and there's really none of the sense of danger from the first game. I hear you can get plenty of invasions in NG+ with a higher soul memory, but it would be nice to participate more in the PvP covenants during NG. Way of the Blue/Blue Sentinels feel completely redundant at present. Sigh.

Also, what is going on with the area transitions in this game? I just took the elevator in Earthen Peak up to Iron Keep and honestly that transition makes zero sense. I know that time in Drangelic is supposed to be a bit 'wibbly wobbly timey wimey', but using that to account for terrible world design (and this isn't the only case) would be a bit of a stretch.

Strangely despite my pessimism towards some elements of the game, I'm still having a whale of a time. Particularly enjoying the more punishing enemy attacks/movements and the removal of invulnerability frames from dodging. The core Souls experience still remains intact, so I'm happy.
  • FogHeart 7 May 2014 15:46:57 946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I've finally had my PC copy delivered and is waiting for me at home. BUT! On Monday I'll be jetting off to the Philippines for 2 weeks to dive with the mantas and the sharks.

...should I start playing or is it gonna get to me before I go and I'm just going to spend evenings abroad wishing I could be playing? Maybe start it when I return?
  • VideoGameAddict25 7 May 2014 16:14:28 304 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Oh fuck off, FIVE Ruin Sentinels?! That is just taking the piss!
  • damagedinc 7 May 2014 18:20:18 758 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Any tips on what to do before going to new game plus?

I have beaten all the side bosses and now level 145.
  • damagedinc 7 May 2014 18:23:44 758 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Am i bettwer off consuming boss souls i dont want weapons of?
  • mcmothercruncher 7 May 2014 18:27:33 7,072 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not necessarily better off, but yup, if you definitely don't need them you might as well. Tiny caveat being that if you think you might re-roll as a different character build (say, switching to DEX), you might want to make a couple of weapons for that ahead of time.
  • quadfather 7 May 2014 18:38:01 12,142 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Don't know if this has been posted yet but this game critique explains why DkS 2 is missing part of its soul, compared to the predecessors. I share part of the sentiments.

Contains SPOILERS!

You know how I was saying the other day about not being able to put my finger on what was bugging me about this game? Well I think I have the answer now

• Moot_Point 7 May 2014 18:53:51 4,080 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @quadfather Agreed. That video pretty much sums up my opinion of DS2. Couldn't argue against his views at all in fairness.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Page

of 385 First / Last