Dark Souls II Page 319

• Page

of 385 First / Last

• TheBlackDog 6 May 2014 12:33:15 395 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Big-Swiss Yeah, but it means I've got to go shopping for decent pyro stuff when I really don't want to leave the fog gate 'cause I'm compulsively running in there after every death, vainly trying to beat the bastard. One of the only times I've had a video game tantrum (doesn't help that I was playing it right before bed - not the best recipe for a good nights sleep :-) )
  • robc84 6 May 2014 12:43:20 5,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @TheBlackDog

Have you tried lightning spear? You can get 2 of those equipped and that means 22 uses! Whack on the sun ring for extra damage! Should make pretty short work of him. Did for me anyway at 22 faith. Although I managed to kill off the rats with my bow before he got to me.
  • DodgyPast 6 May 2014 12:48:52 8,475 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heide and no man's wharf done.

Guess who was a muppet and has to go back for the pyromancy gear.
  • TheBlackDog 6 May 2014 12:51:38 395 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @robc84 Cheers - I've got lightning and didn't think about doubling up. You did well to kill 4 of them before they are on you though. Mind you, the Heavy Soul Arrow kills them in one but its hard flipping between targets to do 4, one after the other before they reach you.

And just got Old Sun Ring - hope it makes it MUCH quicker because lightning is halted as I get hit before it gets cast. Worth a try though.
  • robc84 6 May 2014 12:55:31 5,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @TheBlackDog

Well I'm mainly a dex build, and my bow was killing the mini rats in 1 hit :)

I don't think it's the old sun ring you want, it's the sun ring. The one you get from joining the sunbro's. It gives an extra 5% miracle damage I think. So not major but could make a difference. Also, if you are going down the lightning spear route, get one of your chimes infused with lighting and upgrade it.
  • TheBlackDog 6 May 2014 14:18:12 395 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @robc84 Derp - I think I got confused because I collected the Old Sun Ring last night, at the same time as the Clear Bluestone ring. The Old Sun Ring explodes, when you take big damage so that actually might help. Its the Clear Bluestone Ring that increases cast speed. So, I might try both of them at the same time with a double dose of lightning.
  • Duffking 6 May 2014 14:37:06 7,267 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thinking of blitzing through NG+ as far as getting the Dark Ember and re-rolling my quality build into a Hex one for giggles.
  • robc84 6 May 2014 22:00:04 5,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lol. Wtf is up with the crypt?! Starts pretty easy gets a bit harder with the ghosts and shield dudes, then I drop down, a bell rings and I get rushed about 5 ghosts!

I think this is a prime area for some co op....
  • stryker1121 6 May 2014 22:16:26 692 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Lol. Wtf is up with the crypt?! Starts pretty easy gets a bit harder with the ghosts and shield dudes, then I drop down, a bell rings and I get rushed about 5 ghosts!

I'm in the exact same spot, died after the statue ghosts rushed me and haven't mustered the energy to go back.
  • robc84 6 May 2014 22:27:42 5,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    stryker1121 wrote:
    robc84 wrote:

I'm in the exact same spot, died after the statue ghosts rushed me and haven't mustered the energy to go back.
    Yeah I didn't have it in me to try again tonight. Was going pretty well up to that point!
  • mcmothercruncher 6 May 2014 22:53:30 7,084 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've got to stop the "Uuuuuuurrrppp!" fuckers that come put of the ground from ringing the bells. Much easier said than done. There are items there, but if you just want to get through the exit is top/left from where you first fall in (if you drop with the corridor you just came through directly to your back).
  • retro74 6 May 2014 23:02:49 236 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Best thing is to get out, open the short cut and you can go back easy to mop up

The path out has a line on the floor if I remember correctly
  • Duffking 6 May 2014 23:05:37 7,267 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can just destroy the big tombs and they stop appearing anyway.
  • TheBlackDog 6 May 2014 23:17:28 395 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Doors boss done. Cheers Rob, lightning and clear blue stone ring worked well but bow didn't work so had to soul arrow the puppies.
  • Kichijoten 6 May 2014 23:31:32 1,379 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Post deleted
  • Kichijoten 6 May 2014 23:36:52 1,379 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    robc84 wrote:
    stryker1121 wrote:
    robc84 wrote:

Yeah I didn't have it in me to try again tonight. Was going pretty well up to that point!
    This area drives me mental in co op.

You would think by now players (u lot) would be a bit wiser! All you need to do is drop down and run left and you flick the switch. The amount of people I have tried to help who try and fight a ton a powerful enemies instead of following my lead.

If they behave that badly there is no point with the boss. They will probably fight the re spawning ghosts and the seven knights before entering the fog gate rather than killing the bell zombie so the ghost don't appear then running down the right wall to avoid the knights and rolling through the final two guardians and enter the fog gate with no hassle. Same with the bloody shield knight run. WHY FIGHT THE SIX OR SO GUARDS WHEN YOU DON'T NEED TO!???
  • Dangerous_Dan 6 May 2014 23:42:05 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't know if this has been posted yet but this game critique explains why DkS 2 is missing part of its soul, compared to the predecessors. I share part of the sentiments.

Contains SPOILERS!

• SparkyMarky81 7 May 2014 00:29:32 565 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TheBlackDog

Dunno if you've best the RRA yet but I found fire storm or chaos storm pyros took out all the little rats and took a big chunk of health of the big one on NG+. Then you just stay under him and hack away.

If you survive the first attack you're golden
  • jimmac 7 May 2014 00:49:42 229 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, made it to the Shrine on my PC Sorcerer build now. Seems much easier than my Dex/Faith build but that could just be because it's my second run through.

Quite enjoying sorcery and have been experimenting with staff in left hand and sword in right and using magic weapon then flicking the staff to a shield when things get up close.

Haven't figured out how to get down the Salamander pit in either run through yet. Must remember and look it up.
  • SparkyMarky81 7 May 2014 01:20:25 565 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jimmac

There's something you get from the iron keep might help with that
  • Moot_Point 7 May 2014 01:33:08 4,117 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Don't know if this has been posted yet but this game critique explains why DkS 2 is missing part of its soul, compared to the predecessors. I share part of the sentiments.

Contains SPOILERS!

It's hard to argue against that really.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• alexm 7 May 2014 02:47:22 276 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can't agree with a lot of stuff he said about combat- in particular I found the strategy of fighting strong(ish) multiple enemies at the same time a great addition.

He's definitely right though about the geographical inconsistency of the entire game compared to Lodran though. Far too many underground tunnels which connect two vastly different areas - Demon Souls could get away with this with the Nexus but DS2 really failed to have a strong sense of place for me which DS1 had in spades. In fact I'd say the last Tomb Raider showed far superior world building and level design to DS2.

Still a great game though.
  • Mola_Ram 7 May 2014 02:59:57 7,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It has most of the things that I liked about Dark Souls.

Is it quite as good? No. But few games are, so this even coming close to Dark Souls is an achievement.

I blow absolute balls at pvp though. I've died countless times in Belfry Luna. :(
  • Telepathic.Geometry 7 May 2014 05:45:38 11,334 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @jimmac: The best wa to get in there is to jump in there from just down the ladder from the Cardinal Tower bonfire. The cat ring or the fall control spell will sort you out. If you have big massive gigantor balls on ya, you can jump attack the first salamander you can see, possibly wielding your bollocks.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• robc84 7 May 2014 06:35:39 5,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kichijoten wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    stryker1121 wrote:
    robc84 wrote:

This area drives me mental in co op.

You would think by now players (u lot) would be a bit wiser! All you need to do is drop down and run left and you flick the switch. The amount of people I have tried to help who try and fight a ton a powerful enemies instead of following my lead.

If they behave that badly there is no point with the boss. They will probably fight the re spawning ghosts and the seven knights before entering the fog gate rather than killing the bell zombie so the ghost don't appear then running down the right wall to avoid the knights and rolling through the final two guardians and enter the fog gate with no hassle. Same with the bloody shield knight run. WHY FIGHT THE SIX OR SO GUARDS WHEN YOU DON'T NEED TO!???
    Sorry we are not all great at the game like you...

It's hardly obvious what you need to do off the bat. If it's only their first or second time you can't really expect them to know what they are doing down there. Which is why I was thinking of calling in some help to guide me through.
  • Trafford 7 May 2014 07:13:25 5,792 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I help take out Smelty twice last night. Could I get the favour returned? Could I fuck.
  • Dangerous_Dan 7 May 2014 07:56:55 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    alexm wrote:
    Can't agree with a lot of stuff he said about combat- in particular I found the strategy of fighting strong(ish) multiple enemies at the same time a great addition.

He's definitely right though about the geographical inconsistency of the entire game compared to Lodran though. Far too many underground tunnels which connect two vastly different areas - Demon Souls could get away with this with the Nexus but DS2 really failed to have a strong sense of place for me which DS1 had in spades. In fact I'd say the last Tomb Raider showed far superior world building and level design to DS2.

Still a great game though.
    Melee Combat

At the start it took me some time to get used to the new melee dynamic. It wasn't because of the taking on multiple enemies at once but the more aggressive nature - they relentlessly come at you and almost always immediately close the distance as a group - which requires me to use the tactic of pedaling continuously backwards while slowly taking them out by lunging forward with single attacks. This may be more realistic but it makes for a more tedious gameplay in my personal experience.

Another reason why evading groups and even single foes with rolls and side-stepping doesn't work as well anymore is the tracking of their attacks which actually has become unrealistic in its extremes. (If one watches that segment in the video where he tries to evade the humanoid iron turtles with their big mace, where they rotate like crazy on the spot while performing their attack motion).

What made the melee combat in the previous games satisfying (at least for me) was learning the enemy patterns and becoming better and using more elegant tactics to take them out. Yes the enemies became quite easy after taking them on over and over again but relentless difficulty for its own sake never was the charm of the Souls' series melee combat system - The rewarding part is that there is a way how to deal with each enemy in a efficient and elegant manner and executing those techniques makes you feel like a seasoned veteran. In DkS 2 it remains a kind of grind.

I attribute this to the tracking of the attack motions, the at times too large hit-boxes of their weapons and their relentless pushing in groups, allowing for only very small gaps to engage them one at a time with single quick strikes.

Story/Lore

Too many characters and not as well connected to each other, as pointed out in the video. I find myself thinking that the designers of the game are mimicking Dark/Demon's Souls without having understood the reasons why those games did what they did and by doing so missing some of the details - very important details at times.

As pointed out in the video -
    Demon's and Dark Souls feel like a complete story, simple but well thought out and then someone chose to expose only parts of it, the rest is shrouded in mystery. Like there is a well designed castle, a whole castle, and it's shrouded in fog exposing only parts of it. But the details and connections are all in the right places and it all makes or could make sense. It's believable within its own world.
    With DkS 2 not so much. I mean, this is just my opinion and I can't objectively prove it but the details just feel like they are missing.

Overall I think that there is too much content in the game and too many systems. Soul memory effectively destroyed the invasion mechanic and as it turns out there is no invisibility ring or gear after all - which is not as bad because there are almost no invasions anyway. Haha. Oh well.

This doesn't mean that it's a bad game compared to what else is out there in the genre - far from it.
    But, if, after one month, I'm already thinking about the good times I enjoyed with friends in DkS 1 and Demon's Souls and I'd rather want to go back to that then something is amiss.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 07:59:25 07-05-2014
  • quadfather 7 May 2014 08:21:04 12,169 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm with you on the enemy tracking attacks. I get to a certain enemy now and go, "oh right. You guys. I'll be here a while then", instead of a red eyed knight encounter where it's more, " oh god! I hope I can do this guy". The latter has a lot more excitement to it, whereas the former comes across as tedious.

Can't comment on NPCs or lore as I'm not far enough in

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• robc84 7 May 2014 08:21:54 5,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've not watched the video yet, as I still haven't completed the game, but I agree with the comments on here to a certain extent. It's a great game, exceptional even, but so far I think it falls just short of the first two, especially Demon's.

I can't put my finger on it, but there was / is just something special about that game. Everything just seems to work and fit in perfectly. Maybe it is because it was my first souls game.

What is missing in DkS2 IMO is the connection between the areas. As much as I enjoy the different areas, they are just another area to get through. In the first two games you kind of understood why you were in the area and the history behind it. Not so much in this game.

I think the combat is fine, although there was nothing wrong with it in the first game so I'm not sure why they decided to tweak it. Not really been much of a problem for me though. I'm actually quite enjoying the additional emphasis on dodging for my dex character.

Fast travel is fine, having to go back to Majula to level up, not so fine.
  • robc84 7 May 2014 08:23:11 5,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I'm with you on the enemy tracking attacks. I get to a certain enemy now and go, "oh right. You guys. I'll be here a while then", instead of a red eyed knight encounter where it's more, " oh god! I hope I can do this guy". The latter has a lot more excitement to it, whereas the former comes across as tedious.

Can't comment on NPCs or lore as I'm not far enough in
    Ah the REK's. Dammit, I want to play Demon's again!

Beat the pursuer yet?
  • Page

of 385 First / Last