Dark Souls II Page 22

• Page

of 388 First / Last

• Tuffty 19 Sep 2013 15:42:35 1,658 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ Or just disable the wireless signal on your 360/PS3 before loading the game and play offline entirely.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about it. Nobody likes the idea of higher level players constantly invading your game and halting your progress. But considering that you can call on others to help out sounds like a sensible balance. Plus you can just play offline entirely and enjoy the game regardless.

Now this sounds cool, from the USGamer article:

Un-life as the undead sucks in Dark Souls II. For starters, it makes you ugly. The longer you play in an undead state, the more your character's appearance degenerates. Bad enough that your skin turns green and your face becomes ugly; over time, though, your hair falls out -- and according to director Yui Taimura, even worse things than that can happen as well.
    Even worse? Like loss of limbs? haha Maybe, if they wanted to be completely, horribly brutal about it they could have other stats drop.

Edited by Tuffty at 15:54:33 19-09-2013
  • Architect_z 19 Sep 2013 17:10:38 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be fair, Tuffty is right, infact its actually more fun playing offline. I played Demon's Souls when the PSN was being hacked.
    It was so much more fun not having any messages on the ground to warn me of things, or people invading, or the option of summoning people to help me. I felt all alone in the nightmarish world.

As for the half-health thing, (like in Demon's) I quite liked that.
    It annoyed me that in Dark Souls, there wasnt really any reason to be human unless you wanted to invade or summon help.
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Sep 2013 17:22:14 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like the new system. There will always be offline for those who don't want to get invaded. That reduced health system gives you a reason to collect humanity, or whatever they'll call it, and use it carefully.

There were so many things in Dark Souls which weren't thought out much at all. Take the stat Resistance or the lightning shield upgrade path, or the elemental weapons pre-DLC-patch - they were way too powerful. Some of the catalyst made no sense whatsoever, only having drawbacks no matter what your intelligence was at.

I hope they take more care this time, like in Demon's, to balance the different styles and aspects of the game. So you'll have a chance against early invaders. They were able to do a better balance in Demon's and this one looks, at least style but also game-mechanic wise like a mix between Demon's and Dark Souls.

I'm confident about the sequel by now.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 17:23:27 19-09-2013
  • quadfather 19 Sep 2013 17:27:19 12,909 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What's the betting that if a limb falls off you have to kill a monster to get them to drop theirs.

And it never drops for me

I'll see myself out

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Architect_z 19 Sep 2013 17:53:24 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The main issue I have with the Souls games is strength builds. I believe that strength should increase equipment load, because the weapons and shields, that are used by strength builds, are generally very heavy, by comparisson to dex builds. Its also preferable to be wearing big armour, to stop some fool interupting you with a tiny rapier, while you're swinging your massive club or whatever.

But because strength doesnt do that, and armour is wearable based on the END stat, it means you can have a DEX character, in really big chunky armour, weilding a really fast sword that does a ton of damage. Not only that, but (in Dark Souls case) you get a speed upgrade on casting for DEX builds too.

I'd want them to change these things mainly.
  • quadfather 19 Sep 2013 18:43:04 12,909 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can't wield bugger all with no limbs though

• FanBoysSuck 19 Sep 2013 18:55:49 1,527 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think you're all mad for liking the health drop thing but fair enough I suppose. I'm also on the other side of the fence when it comes to dark souls balance as well, they ruin the PvE aspect due to a part of the game I don't partake in.

ENB confirmed that casting speed in now a separate stat, so they'll likely be a drop in the ninja wizard population. From what I gather they seem to be going to great efforts to distinguish builds which is good.

I'm going try and stay optimistic until things have been clarified.

On the plus side, I've found out my mate who wrote part of the guide for Dark has been brought on board for the guide for number 2. This means I'll be getting to play several sections of the game a few months early :D

For the emperor!

• Dangerous_Dan 19 Sep 2013 18:55:51 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They can do a lot of things. Like when you wear heavy gear then every roll or running drains more stamina than with light equipment - would come closer to reality too. And I agree with Architect_z that the strength stat needs some functionality besides wielding heavy weapons.

I'm against armour upgrades because they make a low level invader into a tank compared to a non-upgraded low level char.
    What they did do, was making elemental damage dependant on stats, at least ENB says so. Fire damage scales with intelligence and lightning damage with faith. That would also make low level invasions more balanced. No heavy tank, heavy damage SL 10 invader. That was a huge problem in Dark Souls.
  • Gunzberg 19 Sep 2013 18:56:06 1,741 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think I will pick this up on PC rather than on console. Who knows what mods will come out for it...

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Rodriguez 19 Sep 2013 18:56:33 1,097 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    What's the betting that if a limb falls off you have to kill a monster to get them to drop theirs.

I'll see myself out

:D
  • spamdangled 19 Sep 2013 19:19:50 27,413 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    Even worse? Like loss of limbs? haha Maybe, if they wanted to be completely, horribly brutal about it they could have other stats drop.
    I can imagine them being sadistic enough to cause a loss of vitality over time as decomposition takes a hold, along with slower movement and reactions in combat.

In fact, I sort of want them to do it!

I can imagine some sort of achievement or hardcore playthrough where you try to complete the game without once regaining humanity :D

Edited by darkmorgado at 19:20:49 19-09-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• quadfather 19 Sep 2013 19:23:25 12,909 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rodriguez wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

I'll see myself out

Getting real tired of your shit Rodriguez :)

• Rodriguez 19 Sep 2013 19:56:04 1,097 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Rodriguez wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

I'll see myself out

Getting real tired of your shit Rodriguez :)
    Heh! I couldn't resist :p

/scampers back to Blighttown.
  • Julpero 19 Sep 2013 20:33:18 38 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    One thing I'd change is the shooting system for bows. Currently the first person view is too clumsy to switch off and block.

I think it should be changed so that L1 pulls the bow out and when you release it it goes back to third person.

This would make the first person view more viable during close quarters and I think most would welcome the change.

Currently the bows are mostly used only for breaking the game which is just wrong on so many levels.
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Sep 2013 20:51:15 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    One thing I'd change is the shooting system for bows. Currently the first person view is too clumsy to switch off and block.
    I think that's already confirmed, they changed the bow shooting mechanic so it's now useful in PvP, probably some movement during shooting and increased arrow speed.
  • FanBoysSuck 19 Sep 2013 21:57:13 1,527 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    I think that's already confirmed, they changed the bow shooting mechanic so it's now useful in PvP, probably some movement during shooting and increased arrow speed.
    Sweet, I hope they add in dual wielding for crossbows!

For the emperor!

• Gunzberg 19 Sep 2013 23:44:44 1,741 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Summarised the new stuff quite nicely

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Architect_z 20 Sep 2013 08:32:32 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A few things i've noticed in the Aching Bones trailer.

@ 1min 33s: The Templar Knight casts some sort of miracle. BY the looks of it, it seems to battle with the dark magicians magic. Like one of those "push harder until one beam hits the opponent". Looks like some Harry Potter <-> Voldemort s***!
    I'm not sure whats going on there.

@ 1min 47s: The Templar Knight then seems to do a form of backstab or riposte. However it looks more like a Mortal Kombat style "FINISH HIM" move. I'm probably wrong, but its a pretty unique way of doing a normal backstab. Maybe different critical attack animations are dependant on which enemy you fight? Or maybe thats just hope.

I'm curious

Edited by Architect_z at 15:43:54 20-09-2013
  • doctor_nick 24 Sep 2013 16:51:32 188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, I've just ordered the Black Armour Edition (PS3) from Amazon: currently 34.79 pounds with free first class postage :)

No idea if it'll arrive anywhere near 14th March mind.

ShopTo's prices are currently weirdly high - nearly 90 quid for the Collector's Edition for PS3/360. Just over 60 on Amazon at the moment.

Right, back to Dark Souls then until the spring...

Edited by doctor_nick at 16:53:56 24-09-2013 - because of the stupid blank posting feature - don't use pound signs is my take away lesson

Edited by doctor_nick at 16:56:34 24-09-2013
  • Architect_z 25 Sep 2013 16:38:51 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @doctor_nick - Oooooo snap!!!

I really can't decide on whether I want the Black Armour edition or the Collectors, I don't really have much need for the big figureine, and yet that seems to be the main difference. I like the art books too, but the game and soundtrack are the main things I need.
  • Tuffty 25 Sep 2013 16:47:55 1,658 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kinda wish that instead of the figurine it was something like a Sunlight medal. Wishful thinking obviously but oh well.
  • Architect_z 25 Sep 2013 18:20:49 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or like a scale version of Gravelord Nito. Might be hard to deliver, but it would rock!!!! \m/
  • quadfather 25 Sep 2013 18:28:02 12,909 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or...

A balder side sword...

• Architect_z 26 Sep 2013 09:16:08 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Or...

A balder side sword...
    I lol'd
  • Architect_z 1 Oct 2013 06:46:36 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    O and just incase you guys are interested.
    Some gameplay videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2DYBU4aaXA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2DYBU4aaXA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQsoMWNF2ZQ&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1w8AXUoDvM&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUSRQL11mBg&feature=youtu.be

(Sorry I havent found out how to sucessfully display the above as links, so you're gonna have to copy and paste.)

Wheelie skellys are back it seems. :(
  • quadfather 1 Oct 2013 08:42:11 12,909 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers architect

To display the kids, use the YouTube option when posting but just paste in the video ID after the equals sign, not the whole URL

• mcmothercruncher 1 Oct 2013 12:19:29 7,216 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh Christ, the pinwheels are in Dark Souls II :-(
  • fiery_jackass 3 Oct 2013 07:29:59 487 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anyone know when you find out whether you're in the beta or not? I will need to manage my wife's expectations re a downturn in productivity and communications if I get on it
  • FuzzyDuck 3 Oct 2013 08:53:14 4,342 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've completely dropped off the Souls' forums, but it's time to polish up my uchigatana and see what's happening :D

I actually played Dark Souls to NG++++, 180 hours and Platinum trophy completely offline - I found it added to desperation and loneliness, so will probably do the same with this.

I've also been thinking about when would be best to jump ship to the PS4 - I was originally thinking March/April next year but forgot about this! I need to finish Demon's Souls at least once during the interim though.
  • quadfather 3 Oct 2013 09:02:46 12,909 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You've not done demons souls yet?! Heresy!

• Page

of 388 First / Last