Dark Souls II Page 9

• Page

of 374 First / Last

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 11:30:11 11,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mostly speculation, but it's all I can find. Few interesting links on the left too.

Tidbit of info regarding the multiplayer aspect

Hmm, check out points 5 onwards on this

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 22 Jan 2013 13:10:11 11,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right, so Demon's souls came out in 2009.
    Dark Souls came out in 2011
    So Dark Souls 2 could be this year? :)

• M83J01P97 22 Jan 2013 13:25:41 6,552 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From Software have already said they are not in a rush to meet any kind of 2013 release window, which probably means it will be a 2014 game.
  • quadfather 22 Jan 2013 14:01:03 11,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, it's just wishful thinking on my part. Rather wait for something great anyway I guess

• mcmothercruncher 23 Jan 2013 18:34:56 6,482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not thrilled to read they're planning to "Westernise" the feel more.

I love the mixed up, exotic mish mash of Western and Eastern mythologies. Move more to the West and you move more towards the hackneyed Skyrim type stuff.

I read a Miyazaki interview where he spoke about scouring Western fantasy magazines as a kid and, not knowing English, he had to guess at what was going on on the page. That must have sowed a seed that helped form the Souls games- needing to dig through the enigmatic presentation to find your own way. That approach wrapped up in a mix of East and West is/was perfect. For both sides of the globe it all just felt a little strange and made the Souls stuff unique.
    Next, they'll be planning to get American actors to dub really shitty "Oirish" accents onto the cheeky-but-lovable pixie characters :D

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 18:35:40 23-01-2013
  • quadfather 23 Jan 2013 19:21:32 11,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, to be fair to from software, they haven't fucked themselves in the past. Going back to kings field days it was the same pattern of better the more they did.

The only random stuff I wouldn't want to see is the wackiness the Japanese sometimes put into stuff.

Like kung fu hustle for example.

Or is that Chinese?

Still a good film though.

I think I may be drunk :)

• Dangerous_Dan 23 Jan 2013 19:28:44 2,380 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's chinese/Hong Kong, very funny movie though. Drunk? So you are ready for some Demon's ? ;)
  • fiery_jackass 23 Jan 2013 19:53:17 462 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:So you are ready for some Demon's ? ;)
    I'd love to do some PvE on Demons some night. I played it almost entirely offline. Don't know what that was about.
  • Dr_Mech 24 Jan 2013 05:26:25 1,005 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I'm not thrilled to read they're planning to "Westernise" the feel more.

I love the mixed up, exotic mish mash of Western and Eastern mythologies. Move more to the West and you move more towards the hackneyed Skyrim type stuff.

I read a Miyazaki interview where he spoke about scouring Western fantasy magazines as a kid and, not knowing English, he had to guess at what was going on on the page. That must have sowed a seed that helped form the Souls games- needing to dig through the enigmatic presentation to find your own way. That approach wrapped up in a mix of East and West is/was perfect. For both sides of the globe it all just felt a little strange and made the Souls stuff unique.
    Next, they'll be planning to get American actors to dub really shitty "Oirish" accents onto the cheeky-but-lovable pixie characters :D
    Hmm I really wouldn't consider Dark Souls to have any real 'Eastern' style fantasy. By that I mean that art design for Anor Londo is European Gothic, Undeadburg was like a crumbling old venice but instead of canals it hangs above a vast chasm (the bottom of which is Lost Izalith).

The settings are all very Renaissance styled buildings. Now the enemy design...that has some Japanese influences here and there but they're, again, mostly European Medieval religious style influenced (especially things like the Gargoyles, the Imps and even the Cragspiders in Blighttown all look like they would fit into a medieval biblical depiction of hell).

Now Seath and Kalameet definitely are bizarre mashes of Eastern and Western fantasy, especially Seath.

Dark souls has far, far more Western fantasy influences than Eastern in my opinion, admittedly it isn't modern western fantasy.
  • Dangerous_Dan 24 Jan 2013 07:28:36 2,380 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @fiery_jackass The PvP mechanic is quite different, more skill based in my opinion. They should get back to their roots for Dark Souls 2 but I think that's not gonna happen. Demon's Souls is more obscure about its upgrading mechanic than Dark Souls and I think that trend will continue with DkS 2 as well.

I've read somewhere that when From created Demon's Souls that Sony Japan wasn't very excited about it. It wasn't a very expensive game neither. That's the reason why they got away with so much of the "screw" what people say they want, we gonna make it difficult, dark and have obscure game mechanics. It's because nobody at Sony cared much about the game, it was just some cheap dark medieval fantasy kind of game and a playable prototype was only available very late in the development phase. By then all things were set in stone.

Namco thinks a lot about sales, of course, so they intervene. The trick is to expand the market while yet keeping the game interesting enough for the old-timers. Sad state of affairs but oh well.

I think that if Dark Souls were called Demon's Souls 2 that the game would be quite different, much more to the appeal of the many. Now Namco have an IP and now they will use it.

I am cynical, I know ;)
  • mcmothercruncher 25 Jan 2013 10:29:52 6,482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only said it was a mix of East and West, I didn't quotes percentages ;)
    The two games have borrowed from Western history, but, crucially, it is as seen through the prism of Eastern eyes. It doesn't feel like any other game in that genre because of that slight tilt. Its feel is Miyazaki, back in his bedroom, reading Western fantasy and trying to make sense of it from an (to us) alien standpoint that gave them the twist that made them special. Oh, and fuck off big Katanas.
  • Elathron 25 Jan 2013 11:37:44 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I hope for more exotic weaponry as well, more types of weapons other than the swords which see scores of variations. How about a proper warhammer eh?

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• mcmothercruncher 25 Jan 2013 18:41:17 6,482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A war elephant!
  • Rodriguez 25 Jan 2013 19:17:00 1,085 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    I hope for more exotic weaponry as well, more types of weapons other than the swords which see scores of variations. How about a proper warhammer eh?
    Yeah, it'd be awesome to wield more unique weapons like the Scissor! Upgrade it with some funky powers and have an arm of death :p
  • NIPPERH2O 26 Jan 2013 02:15:35 45 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I am really looking ford to this game! Only new to the dark souls series, I'm loving it, best game I've played in a long time, I've never experienced anything like it before!! Is it true that there might be a boat in dark souls 2?? Like a raft?? The idea sounds great but wonder is it true!! :-)
  • Dr_Mech 26 Jan 2013 02:57:52 1,005 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I only said it was a mix of East and West, I didn't quotes percentages ;)
    The two games have borrowed from Western history, but, crucially, it is as seen through the prism of Eastern eyes. It doesn't feel like any other game in that genre because of that slight tilt. Its feel is Miyazaki, back in his bedroom, reading Western fantasy and trying to make sense of it from an (to us) alien standpoint that gave them the twist that made them special. Oh, and fuck off big Katanas.
    Ah very true, it is Western fantasy seen through Eastern eyes, it is also one of the darkest (no-pun intended) games I think I've ever played, almost all other games, even if they're brutal, despair filled games will always have a hope spot but Dark Souls....Dark Souls loves proving that even the best of intentions can lead to misery and suffering and the player will do this without even knowing most of the time.

Every NPC you grow to like either goes mad, hollows out and attacks you once they've fufilled their purpose or, perhaps the most likeable NPC in the game, goes hollow because YOU keep saving his arse, you do it because you like him but in reality your making him feel weak because he can't deal with the problems without you coming along.

Not only does he go hollow but his non-Dark sign carrying daughter (meaning if she dies, that is it, no bonfire to come back too) has to put him down, a girl who sounds like she is in her mid-teens, a girl who also watched her mother die and came to this land to give her father her departed mothers dying words...

Nice job breaking it hero, you ruined those NPCs lives...

Elathron wrote:
    One thing, as mentioned, I would like to see more fist weapons, it was the one weapon selection that had all of 4 weapons in it, only whips have less. The Scissors mentioned above would make for an awesome fist weapon since it changes fist weapons from thrust damage to slashing damage.

That and giving Whips a decent moveset would be nice too...
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2013 09:11:51 10,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    New Interview

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• quadfather 29 Jan 2013 09:38:04 11,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmm, It's both sad and potentially great news. Not enough to go on to make a solid opinion at the moment

• teamHAM 29 Jan 2013 11:09:00 2,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's time for the reality. Time to prepare for DS2 to be a complete change from DS1. And possibly something that the hardcore DS fans don't want. Bamco made this change for a reason, to take the series in a new direction, seemingly at the expense of the individuality and uniqueness of the previous games.

If it is anything remotely close to Skyrim I will not buy. And I know I am not alone.

However, if they do stay true to the core of the Souls series, then it will be a bonus and I for one will be thrilled. I just can't see it now.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• LeoliansBro 29 Jan 2013 11:09:57 43,236 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sad times.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• quadfather 29 Jan 2013 11:11:00 11,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    that's the problem at the moment - can't see anything so can't really make a decision.

On the one hand, you've got a great couple of games that could be refreshed/taken down a different path and it could work really well.

On the other hand, you've got the skyrim path

Love to know what Miyazaki is working on though.

• teamHAM 29 Jan 2013 11:21:59 2,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They do keep ramming it down our throats that they are taking it in a "new direction", and it will be "more accessible".

It just smacks of them changing it to the extent that they are alienating their established fanbase in the pursuit of more money.

Unfortunately they haven't really given us a lot of positive signs. And if they wanted to keep it in the same vein as the other Souls games, they wouldn't have got rid of Miyazaki surely?

• quadfather 29 Jan 2013 11:25:31 11,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You could read it two ways I suppose.

One way could be Namco thinking, "Hmm, he's done well with those games, let's get him to do Project X and see how he does with that, and backfill the souls games to these 2 guys here"

Or you could read it being, "We need to make it like Skyrim, so everyone buys it, and not make it too hard to alienate casual players." To which Miyazaki says, "Fuck that, that's bollocks". And he gets shoved to one side by the board.

Shrug, fuck knows really.

• teamHAM 29 Jan 2013 11:42:59 2,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye. I dunno. It just doesn't look overly positive. Neither of your options look good, except that Project X could be good.

One thing I will say, I hope the next PS will have backward compatibility with PS3 games, then finally I might get a chance to play Demons Souls :D

I'm more excited about that at the moment than about DS2. They haven't exactly tried to give us any bits about DS2 to get us pumped for it have they? The trailer was a muchness about nothing.

Edited by teamHAM at 11:44:44 29-01-2013

• Rhaegyr 29 Jan 2013 11:44:21 1,433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hope the NPC's are as memorable as Yurt was
  • quadfather 29 Jan 2013 11:49:08 11,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @teamHAM - You've not played Demon's souls? Shame on you! It's a bit of a price to play it though considering ps4 is near. Saw one on google shopping for 121 quid the other day. Depends how much you want to play DS I guess :)

• Dangerous_Dan 29 Jan 2013 11:59:33 2,380 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or wait for the PS4 FullHD port of it.
    haha

Anyway I still have hope that it's all a joke. If it turns out to be a more expensive and generic RPG then I hope they sell less to shake them up.
  • teamHAM 29 Jan 2013 12:00:22 2,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah I haven't and won't buy a PS3 now. I did have a PS3 a few years ago but it blew up. Before DeS came out. I have put it on my bucket list though! :p

• Page

of 374 First / Last