Steam game installation now has an option to create a new Steam install locations on other HDs

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • George-Roper 7 Dec 2012 19:12:13 704 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dunno if this has already been spoken about but I noticed earlier today that when I went to install a Steam game I'd just bought, the install dialog that shows game size and available disk space now also has a dropdown that allows you to create new Steam install locations on other drives in your system.

I know there's been a workaround for this using symlinks and whatnot but it would now appear to be a much easier process.

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone is struggling with space with their Steam install disk :)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Dec 2012 19:16:22 37,392 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's also a tool called Steam Manager that I use. It lets you swap files back and forth between two locations. I use it to move games to my SSD.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Whizzo 7 Dec 2012 19:16:36 43,038 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah it's very handy, it's been a feature since the BPM beta.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Sharzam 7 Dec 2012 19:30:51 2,739 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I use 'Steam Mover' and probably will continue to use it. I don't want to install games to a SSD permanently so having the option when download it is not needed. As i simply don't play all my games, but want them installed for the random "hmm i fancy a bit tonight".

So useful to move them around at will, my SSD if 256GB and my hard drive is 1.5TB. So if Steam can move games that are already downloaded rather than just a install location i am all ears. On a random but semi connected note; it is nice that Blizzard games can just be cut/paste and dont break the registry, they just run.

Edited by Sharzam at 19:33:42 07-12-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Steve_Perry 7 Dec 2012 19:35:46 3,652 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Goodie gumdrops.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• WoodenSpoon 7 Dec 2012 19:38:10 12,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well that only took ten years!
  • neilka 7 Dec 2012 19:50:03 15,679 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks, please create new threads for any further dropdowns added to this software product.
  • DFawkes 7 Dec 2012 21:06:57 22,619 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I totally missed this option when I really needed it recently, and ended up clearing space by getting rid of stuff I liked playing, so this shall come in handy when I get it back. Cheers for the info :)

And no, I didn't google it and find any third-party apps because googling gives me vertigo. I'm serious about the not googling, I hate using third-party programs because I'm just weird that way.

Edited by DFawkes at 21:08:29 07-12-2012

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• superdelphinus 8 Dec 2012 01:10:39 8,035 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MrTomFTW at the moment I just download them to my ssd and move the big file over to the he'd when I've finished the game or don't plan on playing it for a while? What'd the benefit if doing it in a more structured way?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next