Nurse who fell for the prank call from an Australian DJ has committed suicide. Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• AgeOfChaos 7 Dec 2012 23:47:25 255 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Very strange. There's more to this story methinks
  • elstoof 7 Dec 2012 23:54:11 7,379 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Inertia

Umm.., what..?
  • elstoof 8 Dec 2012 00:03:52 7,379 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    I don't think anyone's arguing that the woman killing herself was an obvious eventuality, just that it should have been obvious that if the prank was successful that an innocent person would likely be sacked.
    The point is no one would expect this prank to be successful, you expect to splutter out a few lines and get told that the hospital are unable to divulge patient information over the telephone but you can leave a message. That's if they fall for your utterly shit impersonation, otherwise they just hang up.
  • gang_of_bitches 8 Dec 2012 00:11:53 5,597 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @elstoof

They must have had some hope of succeeding or the whole thing would have been completely pointless. It wouldn't exactly be great radio to have them call up and get rebuffed.

I do feel kind of sorry for the DJs, they must feel like utter shit right now. But as was said earlier, when you make someone who's just innocently going about their business the butt of a usually cringeworthy joke you need to be very careful.
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 00:15:30
    It's sad that people reply to this thread and use such words as 'ace' and 'best'. Sad times. Detached people.
  • gang_of_bitches 8 Dec 2012 00:19:19 5,597 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @blacksea

If we were all expected to break down every time someone we've never met or know anything but the slightest of details about dies we'd be permanently miserable. Yes it's a great shame and yes it's not terribly classy to make light of it, but it's not detached.
  • elstoof 8 Dec 2012 00:20:54 7,379 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had enough Chris moyles et al forced on me to realise that a radio dj will do any half arsed bullshit they can to fill the 2 minutes they have between songs. Call up, get rebuffed by security, laugh, play lady gaga.

The whole situation is an unfortunate series of bad decisions from start to finish.
  • woodnotes 8 Dec 2012 00:21:33 4,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Must have been a mentalist in the first place
    You really do come across as a mentalist yourself sometimes.
  • gang_of_bitches 8 Dec 2012 00:28:40 5,597 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @elstoof

Maybe you're right, I'm no expert. On the rare occasions I'm listening to a station that has that sort of thing I just change over, it makes me only slightly less uncomfortable than when sex scenes come on when I'm watching TV with my parents.
  • Deleted user 8 December 2012 01:34:33
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    You'd have to be a bit funny in the head to kill yourself over this, so yeah, almost certainly had much more serious things going on prior.
    It'll be hard to understand how it feels without being in that situation yourself, I don't think we can be so dismissive of her feelings and call her mental.

I feel like shit when I fuck up at work even if no-one finds out, I over analyse and think about it for days, I'm trying to imagine if something I did made news around the world.

In her eyes it may have looked like everyone was laughing at her, and I mean EVERYONE. That'd of been in her head where in reality I don't think anyone blamed her and just thought it was an unfunny prank by some attention whores.
    this totally. Especially the fallout from her mistake. As soon as it happened the incident was reported on a global level. Normal people aren;t cut out for that. Despite the confidential nature of her job. And the stress levels of her job alone, she was probably prone to this mistake, in general, i think its fair to say, you don;t expect people to phone on the patients behalf like that.

At the same time, i feel a bit sorry for the dj;s, it was reckless but people like chris moyles got away with the same stunt for years on end.

A sad loss of life.

Edited by joelstinton at 01:37:30 08-12-2012
  • Clive_Dunn 8 Dec 2012 07:54:48 4,780 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sometimes the lack of empathy around here is utterly staggering.
  • GuiltySpark 8 Dec 2012 08:01:33 6,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not empathy that is the problem, it's perspective. You can feel sorry for the woman without thinking that DJs making an utterly stupid prank call are the new Hitlers.

Unless you just want the thread to be "RIP NURSE".

Get bent.

• craigy Staff 8 Dec 2012 08:22:05 7,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Since when is it culturally acceptable to prank call a hospital?
  • damagedinc 8 Dec 2012 08:36:43 770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just listened to the radio show, its uncomfortable to listen to the nurse clearly paniced abd thought she was talking to the queen.

Its sad but i cant help but think the hospitals reaction to it had morr of a bearing than the call itself.

Just a sad sequence of events really that no one could have predicted
  • Carbon_Altered 8 Dec 2012 08:42:05 675 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Er, I don't think it's the nurse that told the caller about Kate that died - I think it's the one that answered the call in the first place that is only on the line for a couple of seconds.

There is more to this. Might be less to do with the call than we think, other issues.
  • Load_2.0 8 Dec 2012 08:43:01 19,288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How many must die before prank calls are banned!

It is like the daily mail comments section in this thread.
  • Dirtbox 8 Dec 2012 08:44:14 78,219 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bizarre and tragic. I blame the media.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Carbon_Altered 8 Dec 2012 08:45:57 675 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm right

Mrs Saldanha, a duty nurse, answered the phone because it was 05:30 GMT and there was no receptionist on duty.

She put the pair through to the duchess's nurse, who unwittingly revealed details of the pregnant duchess's medical condition.
    People have been assuming it was the woman that gave up the info, it wasn't. All the dead lady did was transfer a call at 5:30 in the morning as their wasn't a receptionist at work. She didn't do anything wrong or really fall for the prank, the other nurse did.
  • Trafford 8 Dec 2012 08:50:53 5,791 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Desperatley sad news this.
    If I remember right it's not the first time an Aussie DJ has tried this sort of trick. Wankers.
  • Vice.Destroyer 8 Dec 2012 10:03:43 5,840 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just to expand on the point of GameOverYeah, what I found bizarre is that this call wasn't being broadcast live. It was recorded and then vetted by the lawyers of the station before being posted online. I can only assume that these guys would have discussed the implications for the nurses of putting evidence of them breaking patient confidentiality online and came to the conclusion that in the name of the show/ratings/notoriety/whatever, it was a sacrifice worth making.

For that reason, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the hosts, the station and everyone that was involved in this sorry episode. (just my two cents)
  • DaM 8 Dec 2012 11:01:08 13,226 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apparently there is a law in Australia regarding taping of phone conversations without permission. Which would mean that they would have had to have had the permission of the people involved to record and broadcast. Which is unlikely.

Edited by DaM at 11:01:20 08-12-2012
  • kalel 8 Dec 2012 11:22:44 87,726 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What the DJs did was irresponsible and thoughtless, but I really think there was no true malice in it. It was just a childish and stupid prank. The potential consequences were not considered, not even her getting into trouble, let alone this.

This is simply an awful thing that has happened. Truly truly horrible. But we shouldn't make it even worse by losing perspective and ruining more lives.
  • Chopsen 8 Dec 2012 11:32:04 16,006 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    Just to expand on the point of GameOverYeah, what I found bizarre is that this call wasn't being broadcast live. It was recorded and then vetted by the lawyers of the station before being posted online. I can only assume that these guys would have discussed the implications for the nurses of putting evidence of them breaking patient confidentiality online and came to the conclusion that in the name of the show/ratings/notoriety/whatever, it was a sacrifice worth making.

For that reason, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the hosts, the station and everyone that was involved in this sorry episode. (just my two cents)
    Quite. This was an indefensibly cuntish thing to do. The death, tragic as it is, is not really grounds for criticizing the DJ. It's just one more facet to a broader story.

The people who are saying its "just a prank" are cunts, frankly. As are the media organisations who repoted the fact of the hospital admission and the pregnancy in the firts place. And I'm not saying this because of the death. I guess empathy is not some people's strong point.
  • kalel 8 Dec 2012 11:45:36 87,726 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh fuck off with your lack of empathy bollocks. Empathy with the poor girl and perspective on the broader scenario have nothing to do with each other. I can be sad about what's happened without a blood lust to make me feel better about it.
  • Lukus 8 Dec 2012 11:47:04 19,115 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why? I've plenty of empathy in my character and daily life. I just happen to hold an equal amount of perspective. It was essentially "just a prank". The fact that she committed suicide is neither here nor there. At least not until a suicide note stating "it was the prank what did it" is found. It's ridiculous the amount of mindless assumption and speculation that people are basing their opinions on in this thread. It really has gone all Daily Mail. MUST ATTRIBUTE BLAME. MUST BE ANGRY.

As stated before, the intent behind the phone call is the important part, and yes it was a really shit prank, and potentially irresponsible given the rules about confidentiality. But ultimately, the same thing could have happened and not been broadcast around the world. What then? Someone still didn't do their job properly. Should they be fired or put under the same scrutiny. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but there's a point in there somewhere.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 8 December 2012 11:49:01
    kalel wrote:
    Oh fuck off with your lack of empathy bollocks. Empathy with the poor girl and perspective on the broader scenario have nothing to do with each other. I can be sad about what's happened without a blood lust to make me feel better about it.
    This. Fucking well this.
  • kalel 8 Dec 2012 11:50:59 87,726 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seems to me anyone who can't feel sorry for someone who plays a thoughtless prank with no malice, which results in a death, is lacking in empathy...
  • Chopsen 8 Dec 2012 12:11:47 16,006 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think probably I feel quite stongly about a lot the issues in this story, from when the news reports of her admission to hopsital onwards, and its got me in to ANGRY INTERNET MODE. Apologies, l'll step away from the thread.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last