Nurse who fell for the prank call from an Australian DJ has committed suicide. Page 3

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• GuiltySpark 7 Dec 2012 20:34:29 6,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Would anyone be saying the prank call was "despicable" if the nurse had not committed suicide?
    what? You mean other than the millions of people that thought it was despicable before she even committed suicide?
    Yeah, ok.
    Read two posts up. And back a page.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 20:34:53 07-12-2012

Get bent.

• Stickman 7 Dec 2012 20:35:51 29,657 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't 'despicable' a bit over the top?

Is phonejacker despicable?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• GuiltySpark 7 Dec 2012 20:37:30 6,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stickman wrote:

Yes. Those people were expecting a perfectly legitimate phone call, their trust was broken and that is unforgivable.

Get bent.

• neilka 7 Dec 2012 20:37:37 15,630 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I blame the Queens voice.
    I blame The King's Speech.
  • The-Bodybuilder 7 Dec 2012 20:39:17 14,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do find it odd how everyone is suddenly distancing themselves.
    oh the hospital board took no disciplinary action or were planning to.
    Oh everyone connected to the totals (management and general gang) had no issue whatsoever and made no complaint.

Somehow I doubt everyone involved was so forgiving, but we'll never know now. No one dares to associate themselves as the potential cause.

Chances are its just a series of unfortunate events.
    I do however think it was never cool to try the prank. The only conclusion to such a prank if successful was that someone's head will roll. The pranks may not have been malicious in nature, but it was no doubt negligent IMO.

Mind you, I've always wondered what would happen if one of those tv pranks lead to someone having a heart attack.
  • Stickman 7 Dec 2012 20:39:33 29,657 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "yees, ah wud like to buy duvdes..."

*gunshot*

"...hello...hello?"

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• The-Bodybuilder 7 Dec 2012 20:40:46 14,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Would anyone be saying the prank call was "despicable" if the nurse had not committed suicide?
    what? You mean other than the millions of people that thought it was despicable before she even committed suicide?
    Yeah, ok.
    I did, and I still wanted to reply directly because your comment was clearly aimed at me. Is that ok?
  • Deckard1 7 Dec 2012 20:41:27 27,069 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's a what?! There's a pigeon in my bank account?! Oh my god I can't take it anymore!
  • GuiltySpark 7 Dec 2012 20:41:45 6,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Chances are its just a series of unfortunate events.
    Despicable events, if I do say so myself.

Get bent.

• The-Bodybuilder 7 Dec 2012 20:42:47 14,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Stickman wrote:

Yes. Those people were expecting a perfectly legitimate phone call, their trust was broken and that is unforgivable.
    Read the comments above. A phonejacker prank has no consequence (from all that I've seen). There was no way someone wouldn't get into serious trouble if the prank was successful, and I don't mean suicide.

Can you see the difference?
  • GuiltySpark 7 Dec 2012 20:42:56 6,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Yeah, ok.
    I did, and I still wanted to reply directly because your comment was clearly aimed at me. Is that ok?
    Shit, yeah I read the "despicable" thing in this thread, didn't read whose name it was though, my bad, I read the thread in one go, it's the first I've heard of all this to be honest.

Get bent.

• GuiltySpark 7 Dec 2012 20:44:05 6,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Stickman wrote:

Read the comments above. A phonejacker prank has no consequence (from all that I've seen). There was no way someone wouldn't get into serious trouble if the prank was successful, and I don't mean suicide.

Yes, I can. But... who would ever think it would be successful? I mean seriously. You literally have a person pretending to be the QUEEN, who would ever, ever think that that would be believed?

Get bent.

• GuiltySpark 7 Dec 2012 20:48:22 6,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I mean, that's the joke, is it not? Trying something that outlandish.

Get bent.

• Lukus 7 Dec 2012 20:53:00 18,996 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think people are losing perspective. It was only a crank call. She fell for it. So what? It's not like they phoned up thinking 'if this works maybe some one will top themselves'.

Paintings & Photographs

• Salaman 7 Dec 2012 20:53:35 18,854 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I blame Kate. Most women just hang over the toilet bowl a bit in the morning and then go to work. She had to go to the hospital over it. Massive overreaction on her side that gave someone the opportunity to play a prank in the first place.

Damn you Kate! Blood on your hands girl!
  • neilka 7 Dec 2012 20:54:25 15,630 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone checked where Max Clifford was at the time?
  • MetalDog 7 Dec 2012 20:57:59 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Like many pranks, it's primarily thoughtless. I don't think they would have done it if they thought about someone even being fired, let alone topping themselves.

It's the sort of thing you're supposed to grow out of, once you start thinking of possible repercussions to your actions. Hell of a way to learn that lesson - most of us are lucky enough to learn it earlier in our lives and in less horrible circumstances.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• ResidentKnievel 7 Dec 2012 20:58:31 6,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    I think people are losing perspective. It was only a crank call. She fell for it. So what? It's not like they phoned up thinking 'if this works maybe some one will top themselves'.
    Well, no, but they should have been thinking 'if this works someone will lose a job.'

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• teamHAM 7 Dec 2012 21:07:25 2,745 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    A phonejacker prank has no consequence (from all that I've seen).
    1000 times this.

If you plan a prank on someone you plan the dupe and then you ensure that your prank doesn't reach critical mass, get taken out of context or spiral out of control. Certainly staged pranks or pranks where there is a genuine risk to the health or safety of the victim all bases are covered. Guess what. It's your prank so it's your fault if it goes wrong. Time to man up.

These two muppets clearly didn't think about the potential consequences. Just claimed ignorance. They are no less guilty for what has happened than the kids who claim ignorance when the bin they lit up ends up starting a bushfire.

Despite the fact that everyone knows how serious a breach of patient confidentiality is, they decided to press ahead and record the breach rather than do what someone playing a "harmless prank" would have done and revealed the dupe and/or terminated the call once they had achieved the humor factor.

The nurse acted in good faith. The DJ's preyed on this and it's poor form.

Edited by teamHAM at 21:08:26 07-12-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Lukus 7 Dec 2012 21:19:33 18,996 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The worst thing about the prank is that it wasn't at all funny.

Edited by Lukus at 21:20:33 07-12-2012

Paintings & Photographs

• Blotto 7 Dec 2012 21:26:42 2,707 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Stickman wrote:

Come on mate, you're being way over the top here. People do prank phone calls, by all accounts they were giggling in the background and talking about Corgis. A phone call isn't some sacred bond between two people, its just a bloody phone call.

Just realised you were probably joking haha.

Edited by Blotto at 21:29:15 07-12-2012
  • RedSparrows 7 Dec 2012 21:29:49 21,988 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whoosh?
  • elstoof 7 Dec 2012 21:39:58 6,598 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    The worst thing about the prank is that it wasn't at all funny.
    Exactly right, it was piss poor. Anyone who thinks the duo should have considered every single possible eventuality and stopped because its utterly obvious someone would kill themselves over it, needs to take a deep breath and calm the fuck down.
  • ResidentKnievel 7 Dec 2012 21:47:20 6,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think anyone's arguing that the woman killing herself was an obvious eventuality, just that it should have been obvious that if the prank was successful that an innocent person would likely be sacked.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Carbon_Altered 7 Dec 2012 21:54:21 675 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So not at all like pretty much every Saturday in the 80's when Beadle convinced some poor sap that they'd got their company car crushed in order to provoke much swearing and possible job losing?
  • Deleted user 7 December 2012 21:58:42
    Beadle got away with it because of his funny hand.
  • localnotail 7 Dec 2012 22:08:28 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    Well, no, but they should have been thinking 'if this works someone will lose a job.'
    This, exactly. Kate's privileged status makes news of the pregnancy a fair target for public interest, but it's not on, fucking with people just trying to do their job.

The DJs [u]were[/u] doing appallingly bad impressions that they expected to be challenged on. They didn't mean to get anyone fired. Unfortunately, they ended up talking to someone who believed them to be real, for whatever reason (command of English, respect for the monarchy?). They should've owned up and let the nurse believe they were pulling her leg, but pushing the joke was probably irresistible.

It really should not have been broadcast though. They weren't to know that she would react so tragically, but it was never going be without repercussions for her.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Stickman 7 Dec 2012 22:47:15 29,657 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It would have been completely without repercussions if she had actually done her job properly and not just started blarting stuff down the phone to someone pretending (badly) to be THE GODDAMN QUEEN!

Actually, hold on, isn't this the woman who just said "held on, I'll put you through to the ward" or something like that?

We should save all our top quality sanctimony for when the nurse who gave out confidential info steps infront of a train. Don't peak too early.

Edited by Stickman at 22:54:32 07-12-2012

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• elstoof 7 Dec 2012 23:02:34 6,598 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    G'day, I'm loike the quien maaaate, be a guud cobba and stick me on the loine ta the morning chunder ward sport.
  • Inertia 7 Dec 2012 23:37:09 676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @elstoof

It seems you want to be an idiot rather than realise someone died unnecessarily. It's real to her children. If I were you I would wake up because you seem more dead in spirit than most on this forum.

Of course you're being ironic which, no doubt, is just another way of saying heartless.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last