Nurse who fell for the prank call from an Australian DJ has committed suicide. Page 7

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• brokenkey 8 Dec 2012 19:48:04 6,983 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    It's a sad thing indeed. That aside, if I was her I would have done a few TV/Newspaper interviews for . Then I'd get the radio show to fly me to Oz, all expenses paid for an interview/promo/Oz-UK relations PR bollocks. Proper milk it.

"I wOZ pranked like a Sheila" t-shirts...you get the idea.
    Good point. Where was Max Clifford when she needed him?
    Touching kids.
    I think its called "laying on hands" in PR, Church and royal circles.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• El_MUERkO 8 Dec 2012 19:48:22 16,975 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not thought much about this but I wonder how many journo's knocked her door rang her phone, mobile, husbands mobile, and etc? How do you feel about betraying th future queen? Are you being fired?
  • GuiltySpark 8 Dec 2012 19:55:53 6,357 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    Not thought much about this but I wonder how many journo's knocked her door rang her phone, mobile, husbands mobile, and etc? How do you feel about betraying th future queen? Are you being fired?
    Possibly none. Who knows? It's all speculation. I'm not really sure what else she could have said other than "The receptionist was away so I forwarded the call to another nurse."

I wonder if the receptionist thought of the consequences before she decided to bunk off work. She works in a hospital, it's entirely wrong to just skip work.

Get bent.

• CosmicFuzz 8 Dec 2012 19:59:01 23,864 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I have to disagree to those saying the radio djs caused her death. That's completely ludicrous. A reasonable person wouldn't have killed themselves after being a victim of that prank. Her decision to kill herself broke the chain of causation. Was it a stupid prank? Yes. Were they jerks etc? Maybe. But even if so, they still didn't cause her death. She caused it.
    This people. It was a shit prank, a slightly dangerous prank but they cannot and should not be held responsible.
    Actually, they can. The prank call wasn't live, it was pre recorded and check over and edited to maximise the 'hilarity'. The radio station and presenters also boasted about it after it was broadcast, and repeatedly played the clip during trails between songs. They were clearly proud of what they did up to the tragic events of yesterday, and now all of a sudden it was 'just a prank'.
    This makes no sense. What they did was stupid, yes. And they acted like jerks, yes. And they boasted etc etc yes. But she acted in a completely different way to what a "reasonable" person would act.

Is it reasonable to foresee that the victim of this prank - and all she did was pass the call onto someone else, she didn't actually give out the info I don't think - would kill themselves? No. Of course it's not. If I called you a cunt and you killed yourself I wouldn't have caused your death because you killing yourself isn't reasonably foreseeable. Even if I bragged about it to the heavens I still wouldn't have caused it.

The "thin skull rule" mentioned above doesn't apply here.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• superdelphinus 8 Dec 2012 20:14:20 8,045 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    [

The "thin skull rule" mentioned above doesn't apply here.
    On what basis? I don't think there is any real chance of this being litigated but there's no point in setting out a rather academic interpretation of negligence doctrine and then simply dismissing what would likely be a core aspect ;)
  • mrpon 8 Dec 2012 20:19:03 28,755 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wouldn't be surprised if the DJs sue, in this backward world we live in.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• senso-ji 8 Dec 2012 20:28:18 5,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    This makes no sense. What they did was stupid, yes. And they acted like jerks, yes. And they boasted etc etc yes. But she acted in a completely different way to what a "reasonable" person would act.
    And you're in no position to decide what's reasonable or not in this case. You don't know what was said to her at work, by her colleagues, by her neighbours/family etc after this event. She might have heard herself being humiliated worldwide. It's hardly the same as some anonymous person calling another anonymous person on the internet names. Suicide is a complex tragedy and anything can tip a rational person over the edge.
  • superdelphinus 8 Dec 2012 20:46:59 8,045 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's sort of case would mainly lie in the evidence, of which we know too little. In purely legal terms it's almost certainly in the 51% pile depending on whether there were underlying issues. Ringing a hospital on that sort of basis, a fcukload of events would be reasonably foreseeable, let alone one with one of the most famous people in the world in it. I can't imagine what the legal advice was, but I presume it was about eliciting the information only.
  • kinky_mong 8 Dec 2012 23:18:40 10,137 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I came to this thread for the hand-wringing from the usual suspects, I stay for the "My wife was sicker than yours when pregnant" arguments! :D

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• DodgyPast 9 Dec 2012 01:43:51 8,449 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz, I take it you're well trained in the field of psychology given the confidence with which you make such sweeping statements.

The reality is that the only thing anyone at the radio station cared about was the legality. Though I suppose to put it into perspective every day people are legally hurt by companies looking for some extra profits and most people don't bat an eyelid... So most of the people getting all up tight about this are probably being pretty hypocritical.
  • kinky_mong 9 Dec 2012 11:02:15 10,137 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Mail have removed this top comment from the article on the nurse's suicide. Self regulation at it's finest.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• nickthegun 9 Dec 2012 11:12:41 59,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everyone who is registered should repost that

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• superdelphinus 9 Dec 2012 11:37:55 8,045 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Crazy. Though that has all the hallmarks of being a hoax imho
  • Megapocalypse 9 Dec 2012 12:06:12 5,388 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What the comment? No, it was real; read it there yesterday.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2012 13:50:10 23,864 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    And you're in no position to decide what's reasonable or not in this case. You don't know what was said to her at work, by her colleagues, by her neighbours/family etc after this event. She might have heard herself being humiliated worldwide. It's hardly the same as some anonymous person calling another anonymous person on the internet names. Suicide is a complex tragedy and anything can tip a rational person over the edge.
    Of course I don't. But the legal test is always one of reasonableness - what would a hypothetical reasonable person do? The test asks is it reasonable to foresee that getting her to pass the phone onto her colleague would result in her killing herself. And the answer is no. No one saw it coming, because it wasn't foreseeable.

Personally I think they acted like complete jerks, but that doesn't change anything.

I'm still trying to work out why the thin skull rule wouldn't apply - I think it's just too far removed. it's not like pushing someone over who hits their head and you didn't realise they had a brain disorder and they die. I just think her killing herself was completely unforseeable, and she broke the chain of causation when she did it.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• sport 9 Dec 2012 14:03:03 12,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You should all take a step back and take a deep breath.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/09/saldanha-prank-quick-judge-slow-learn
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Dec 2012 14:34:58 23,864 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah good article.

• superdelphinus 9 Dec 2012 15:33:32 8,045 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There is plenty of good law around this, particularly on how the egg shell rule can be applied in practice to psychological disorders. Its adapted to mean egg shell 'characters' or 'personalities' or something. It's not really my area but the law is pretty clear on the face of things here. Only issues for me potentially would be the nature of the relationship as far as duty of care goes, and boring things around jurisdiction. Probably worth doing something but costs would snowball quickly.

seems they got advice around technical issues on recording information under Australian law

this isn't to say I agree that its right that the dj's could be liable in some way, just that is plainly arguable that they could. Law = ass etc
  • teamHAM 10 Dec 2012 11:34:35 2,883 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So here they are, looking pretty sheepish.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• nickthegun 10 Dec 2012 11:35:55 59,452 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll tell you something, the guy who photoshops that woman on all the press photos deserves every penny hes paid.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• President_Weasel 10 Dec 2012 12:50:17 9,175 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    @jonsaan

You said Kate shouldn't be in hospital and have just got on with it like a normal mum?

But then say your wife almost died from being sent home from hospital early, very strange position you have if that's the case, I'd of thought you'd be pleased Kate is taking all precautions seeing as you know how serious it can be.
    It's painfully obvious that Jonsaan's post is complaining that the NHS sends many new mothers home and tells them to get on with it, and what is irritating him is not that Princess Whatserface gets treated correctly but that the general public do not.

Learn to reading comprehansion, people. Tch.
  • Scurrminator 10 Dec 2012 12:52:11 8,399 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm pretty sure they will have paid for private care!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• GuiltySpark 10 Dec 2012 13:01:16 6,357 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I'll tell you something, the guy who photoshops that woman on all the press photos deserves every penny hes paid.
    I'm sure comfort eating isn't unusual in this situation.

Get bent.

• sport 10 Dec 2012 13:03:49 12,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    I'm pretty sure we, the taxpayer, will have paid for their private care!
    ;-P
  • spamdangled 10 Dec 2012 22:13:05 27,276 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ooops!
    BBC News Fail

Edited by darkmorgado at 22:13:16 10-12-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• JoeBlade 10 Dec 2012 23:04:12 2,522 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Ooops!
    BBC News Fail
    I'll shit on a chair if that isn't Geri. You'll be trying to convince me the Gamesmaster was actually Patrick Moore next!
  • Deleted user 10 December 2012 23:07:51
    They put up the wrong caption.

You planning on posting this in every thread even vaguely related to the subject?
  • spamdangled 10 Dec 2012 23:14:10 27,276 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    They put up the wrong caption.

You planning on posting this in every thread even vaguely related to the subject?
    No, I just thought it fitted in both of them.

The twitter reaction is typically ott - I read one earlier that was demanding a personal apology from the BBC to the family of the nurse for making the mistake.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• kalel 13 Dec 2012 15:07:12 86,961 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's been confirmed it was suicide. Hanged :(
  • Shikasama 13 Dec 2012 15:11:30 6,754 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's been confirmed it LOOKED like a suicide

Let's start a conspiracy, especially after the stuff yesterday
  • Page

of 8 First / Last