Linksys WRT54GL Router Problems Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • neilka 6 Dec 2012 16:02:13 15,861 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Paging user vizzini to thread

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Sponz 6 Dec 2012 16:02:15 648 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal LOL - I doctored my results. I'm not revealing my works IP ranges on a public forum man, are you nuts. :p

Anyway, I mightve been using a local proxy gateway tool, like Fiddler or something.

...and no, thats not a Jimmy Saville tool. :)
  • Chopsen 6 Dec 2012 16:02:28 15,885 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your laptop is not obtaining a valid IP address from the router. It's either manually configured to its current IP address (which doesn't exist on the your router's subnet of the LAN, hence they can't see each other) or you're in serious trouble.

Make sure the network device on the laptop is assigned to automatically obtain an IP address.
  • nickthegun 6 Dec 2012 16:02:45 59,527 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Srsly tho, your router and modem probably have the same address so unplug the modem, restart the router and try again.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• SuperCoolEskimo 6 Dec 2012 16:05:35 9,791 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I'm thinking it something with my modem, as my home phone is connected to the modem which is connected to the phone socket in the wall. Since I started the set up process, my home phone is engaged when I ring it (despite no-one using the phone) and I can't make outgoing calls.
  • nickthegun 6 Dec 2012 16:09:20 59,527 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you sure its a modem and not a router? If youve plugged a dhcp enabled router into a dhcp router then hilarity will ensue.

Also, youve plugged your phone into the wrong socket.

I would ring a grown up to come round and help you.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• SuperCoolEskimo 6 Dec 2012 16:10:57 9,791 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also just noticed the Internet light isn't coming on on the router.
  • X201 6 Dec 2012 16:11:46 15,277 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @SuperCoolEskimo

1) Disable wifi on your laptop (right click on the wifi connection the system tray and switch it off)

2) If you started your laptop from sleep mode, reboot it.

3) Goto Control Panel > Network and Sharing > Local Area Connection > Details (These are Win 7 instruction but Vista should be similar)

Look for the line that says DHCP Enabled and tell us what it says.

Edited by X201 at 16:12:01 06-12-2012
  • Deckard1 6 Dec 2012 16:11:52 27,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think you're looking at the toaster

Hush you ponce

• Sponz 6 Dec 2012 16:12:17 648 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well it wont until its been configured you numpty. :p
  • graysonavich 6 Dec 2012 16:12:41 7,320 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just throw it away and kill yourself.
  • Deckard1 6 Dec 2012 16:14:00 27,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Ethernet cable keeps falling out of my ear, should I use cellotape?

Hush you ponce

• Kilters 6 Dec 2012 16:28:48 571 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you just bought it then try the nice chaps you bought it from:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-eu/support/routers/WRT54GL
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Dec 2012 17:12:19 37,898 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    @SuperCoolEskimo

1) Disable wifi on your laptop (right click on the wifi connection the system tray and switch it off)

2) If you started your laptop from sleep mode, reboot it.

3) Goto Control Panel > Network and Sharing > Local Area Connection > Details (These are Win 7 instruction but Vista should be similar)

Look for the line that says DHCP Enabled and tell us what it says.
    None of that is going to help if his router isn't connected to the Internet.

What I would recommend is, since you've said your phone line is engaged is to start again. Unplug the lot and first make sure you can get a dial tone if you plug the phone directly into the socket (not through the micro-filter). There's always the chance there's a fault on the line that's just coincidentally has occurred at the same time. Stranger things have happened. Then assuming you now know it's all good, set everything up again.

Now, the Linksys WRT54GL is a modem router, so your current modem is redundant. Take it out of the equation all together. Just set up the Linksys with your ISP details at let it do everything, you should have more joy that way.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mal 6 Dec 2012 17:34:48 22,473 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Getting DHCP working doesn't need the internet to be working. What X201 wrote looks right to me.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• SuperCoolEskimo 6 Dec 2012 17:40:54 9,791 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I disconnected the phone line from the micro filter and then ran the cd and managed to get the settings up, and set up my network. Thing is whenever this router is connected to my micro filter my phone line goes engaged for some reason. Plugged in my old router and my phone line started working fine again. Been on the phone to my ISP for the past hour so and they're going to run some tests and ring me back tomorrow. Gonna buy a new microfilter in the meantime and see if that fixes anything, my current one is quite old.

Thanks for the help, EG is awesome.
  • mal 6 Dec 2012 17:45:12 22,473 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Microfilters are often a pain in the arse. To be honest if you're not using an ancient phone you can often get away with a simple (and reliable) splitter - AFAIK the microfilter doesn't help your internet connection at all, and is just meant to stop noise on your phone line.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Dec 2012 17:51:07 37,898 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Getting DHCP working doesn't need the internet to be working. What X201 wrote looks right to me.
    Well yes, but if he gets an IP assigned by DHCP then congrats - but there's still no Internet connection :)

• Chopsen 6 Dec 2012 17:51:36 15,885 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey, baby steps!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Dec 2012 17:56:51 37,898 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Microfilters are often a pain in the arse. To be honest if you're not using an ancient phone you can often get away with a simple (and reliable) splitter - AFAIK the microfilter doesn't help your internet connection at all, and is just meant to stop noise on your phone line.
    Not true. The way ADSL works is that at the exchange the two signals (the plain old telephone signal, and the ADSL line coming out of the DSLAM) are combined and sent down the wire to your property. The microfilter is there to separate the two again.

Now as you probably know, noise on the line is one of the main factors in slow/disconnected Internet so not connecting a microfilter is a bad thing. In fact, that's why you must put a microfilter on every phone socket in the house as even when they're unused they'll still cause noise without one.

• SuperCoolEskimo 6 Dec 2012 17:59:05 9,791 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the problem goes deeper than routers though. Recently, and right now, the Internet light on my old router just flashes or doesn't light up at all. I bought the linksys thinking my current 3 year old router was dying.

As my phone line is working fine, the only thing in between my router and the phone line IS the micro filter so I'm hoping it's just that.

Edited by SuperCoolEskimo at 18:00:54 06-12-2012
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Dec 2012 18:01:54 37,898 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It probably is. They do tend to go faulty after a while. Cheapo shit really.

• Chopsen 6 Dec 2012 18:05:21 15,885 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It pisses me off how many landline phone sockets there are in my house. There are 4. I only need one. I don't even have a landline plugged in any more. They're just there, needlessly having filters dangling off them.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 18:08:36
    I have 7 phone sockets in my 2 bedroom flat.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 6 Dec 2012 18:13:03 9,791 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still confused why the linksys plugged into my micro router causes my phone line to go engaged though while that doesn't happen with the old router.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 6 Dec 2012 18:14:02 9,791 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And we have one phone socket in a three floor, five bedroom house.
  • mal 6 Dec 2012 18:27:04 22,473 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @MrTOMFTW Ah, that's interesting, cheers. All I really know if that I've not bothered replacing my original microfilter when it went tits up, and my connection's been fine since.

• X201 6 Dec 2012 18:40:06 15,277 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Well yes, but if he gets an IP assigned by DHCP then congrats - but there's still no Internet connection :)
    He can't even get his laptop to connect to the router's configuration options.
    Getting the laptop and the router on the same subnet is the first step, pointless doing anything else beforehand.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 16 Dec 2012 16:06:07 12,740 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's this router like for wifi signal strength? Want a basic router that offers a strong wifi range.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next