Does the display you play games on support limited and/or full range RGB?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • gamingdave 5 Dec 2012 15:25:13 4,246 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The DF articles on the Wii U repeatedly state that it only outputs limited range RGB and as a result they keep having to "correct" the images.

The 360 and PS3 have the ability to output both limited and full range RGB as do most PC cards, but video devices all output limited range as it is the standard.

I know some PC monitors only accept a full range signal but I would be interested to know if anyone has an HDTV that doesn't except limited range (it would seem madness for one to exist) and what you game on.

My TV only accepts limited range and my projector accepts both but is set to limited. The 360 and PS3 are set to limited output as is my PC.
  • Sharzam 6 Dec 2012 12:19:39 3,065 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My tv has both support for both limited and full range.

However most sources as you stated are limited range, when setting to full/wide mode I can get issues. In particular  with video files (mkv,mp4 etc) as you get high amounts of black crush when there is not  enough high quality data.

With blu rays there is no real difference either way (as they don't use the RGB scale) , only really games benefit from full range such as shadows. So most of the time It is in limited/standard mode and turned to full range when the extra contrast is useful.

Edit : This is mostly in relation to using with my PS3, it is a different story if I connect my PC.

Edited by Sharzam at 12:20:56 06-12-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Page

of 1

Previous Next