Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    The Turtles arcade game was the bomb.
    hell yeah!
  • ComradePete 5 Dec 2012 14:51:00 483 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mid 90's - Virtua Cop, Daytona, Sega Rally.

When Sega could do no wrong. sigh...

Also put heaps into Virtua Fighter, the only game I managed to beat someone at who challenged me to a game. Good times!
  • Razz 5 Dec 2012 14:52:22 61,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    hell yeah!
    IT was all about Donatello for me, badass with a big stick :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• megastar 5 Dec 2012 14:52:57 17,176 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember the first time I saw Killer Instinct in "Hollywood Bowl"

It was unbelievable!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Dec 2012 14:53:35 37,816 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    Do you remember Sunset Riders? Awesome game.
    I still play this game on gaming nights :) Brilliant music. Still can't make it past the Train stage :(
    I completed it a couple of times (I grew up in a seaside town - what else could I do?) The last boss was a rather camp man in a swish suit. You'd beat him once, then he'd get back up, revealing a bullet proof vest. Beat him again and a he would drop his rose and die.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• kentmonkey 5 Dec 2012 14:54:29 20,579 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To name a couple others haven't that I enjoyed (as a lot of what I enjoyed has already been mentioned): Power Drift, Space Harrier (the cabinet where you sat down - at 6-7 or so years of age there was nothing else like it for me) and Iron Stewarts.

Possibly my favourite to this day is multiplayer Sega Rally though.

Oh and pinball.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Dec 2012 14:54:44 37,816 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    megastar wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    hell yeah!
    Did anyone buy this on XBLA? I think they've removed it now though.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Cappy 5 Dec 2012 14:55:22 11,901 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's sad to think that names like Konami and IREM are no longer associated with brilliant games, some of the more minor players like Jaleco also had a lot to offer, like Snow Brothers.

Square Enix now owns Taito I believe, they're practically forgotten and their 80s lineup was far ahead of Capcom who are still hanging around disappointing us.
  • billythekid 5 Dec 2012 14:56:04 11,106 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    megastar wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    hell yeah!
    Michelangelo here, nunchuks ftw.
  • megastar 5 Dec 2012 14:57:26 17,176 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mikey was the man!
  • Mageme 5 Dec 2012 14:58:23 2,011 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I probably spent the most on Final Fight, though TMNT, Operation Wolf, Time Crisis and Daytona ate a lot of coins too. Later on VF, King of Fighters, Marvel vs Capcom and House of the Dead but after those most of the arcades closed/became slot machine parlours and home consoles provided all my gaming needs.

Ah, still remember hanging out around Trocadero and the dingy arcade that used to be on Great Windmill Street...

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Razz 5 Dec 2012 15:02:14 61,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trocadero was like a shining palace of glory back then. I was there pretty much every weekend as a teen. We had a few run ins with the triads back then as they used to crowd the SF and KoF machines.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• RobTheBuilder 5 Dec 2012 15:03:10 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I recall once in about 1993 we were at Butlins and my dad took me and my brother to the arcade in the evening and we completed the Simpsons arcade game.

So many coins but it was always a rare joy to complete an arcade.

Also, my gaming usernames to this day are based upon an experience where I got the top score in puzzle bobble 2, and the rest of the scores were by someone with the same name as me. So, being into Sam and Max at the time, I used the name max instead :)
  • dr_swin 5 Dec 2012 15:06:57 4,887 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember sneaking off to South Shields fairground as a nipper with my pocket money. I loved playing 'Green Beret', Commando, Ikari Warriors and Star Wars the most. There was also a little newsagent called 'Mary's' which used to get a different cabinet in every few weeks. That was where I first played Kung Fu Master.(never did work out the purpose of the jumping punch).
  • Deleted user 5 December 2012 15:07:46
    When we got four people playing the TMHT arcade simultaneously it should have been the greatest day of my childhood. But then it crashed about two minutes into the game and the old woman behind the counter who didn't understand games refused to give us our money back.
  • dr_swin 5 Dec 2012 15:13:46 4,887 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And don't get me started on how I used to plague my parents for 25 peseta coins on holiday to play whatever arcade machine was present in the package holiday hotel!
  • tuff 5 Dec 2012 15:59:21 624 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In the Clacton Pavillion they had Williams' NARC; the cab was set so loud you could almost feel it in Jaywick.
  • thedaveeyres 5 Dec 2012 16:10:29 10,884 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    I remember sneaking off to South Shields fairground as a nipper with my pocket money. I loved playing 'Green Beret', Commando, Ikari Warriors and Star Wars the most. There was also a little newsagent called 'Mary's' which used to get a different cabinet in every few weeks. That was where I first played Kung Fu Master.(never did work out the purpose of the jumping punch).
    Didn't you need the jumping punch to hit some of the vase things that got thrown at you (the ones with snakes in)?

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Deckard1 5 Dec 2012 16:15:45 27,700 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My youth club had Rastan and Wonder Boy as well. And Gouls and Ghosts. And a paedo if my memory serves me.

Hush you ponce

• jamievilla 5 Dec 2012 16:21:38 523 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Now I look back on it, the legion of doom were some kinky dudes
    That's Demolition!

Mad Dog McCree and the other light games were awesome, but cost me a fortune. Still play light gun games when I see them and my accuracy is nowhere near what it was..
  • Deleted user 5 December 2012 16:23:35
    Deckard1 wrote:
    My youth club
    This explains a lot.
  • Concrete 5 Dec 2012 16:25:03 574 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    When we got four people playing the TMHT arcade simultaneously it should have been the greatest day of my childhood. But then it crashed about two minutes into the game and the old woman behind the counter who didn't understand games refused to give us our money back.
    There was a fault with the four player TMHT cabinets, if you put a quid in then spam the crap out of the 1P/2P/3P/4P credit button you could get about 20 credits for a quid! One of the few arcade games I have completed (Final Fight/SF2/World Heros being the others) because of that.
  • Dougs 5 Dec 2012 16:26:25 67,183 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    An ill-wind blows no good...
  • alexc7496 5 Dec 2012 16:37:27 1,777 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mike Tyson boxing game was brill. Also Mario 2, I used to spend ages on these when my Dad was getting pissed in the local. He would give me a few quid and I would be hooked.
  • ecureuil 5 Dec 2012 16:38:45 76,722 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My local bowling alley had a Sega World above it, I was in my early teens when the arcade was in its prime (mid-90's), so I couldn't really afford to keep putting coins in the machine to keep playing. However, every so often, they'd have a free play day - which I'm sure many arcades ran, where they charged 5 at the door and all the machines were free to play. Tekken and Street Fighter II always had massive queues, as did 8 player Daytona. It had all the usual arcade highlights that others have mentioned, Time Crisis, Virtua Cop, Sega Rally. And one I'm disappointed that I can't remember the name of, but it had two large, bolted down machine guns. Cause it was free play day you could Rambo it with both of them at the same time, they vibrated like crazy and made your hands and arms brilliantly numb by the time you finished it.

Virtual On was my favourite though. So many hours lost to that game. Eventually they moved the arcade downstairs and made it open plan, so they could no longer do free play days. Great memories though.
  • DaM 5 Dec 2012 16:39:02 12,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I fell out of arcades in the 90s, but spent large chunks of the 80s in them. They started to die for me when they games at home were not far behind or equal to the arcade.

I'm deep in planning for my MAME cabinet at the moment, having cleared the biggest hurdle, permission from the wife. Picking all the various bits. I can't wait!!!
  • FogHeart 5 Dec 2012 16:40:35 944 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Up until 1990 I worked in a pokey workshop that put the things together. Not the professional things, just some bloke that bought cheap cabinets and the circuit boards and screens and controls and put them all together. I just wish he had the sense to buy good games, he was some old bloke who didn't know good from bad.
  • Deckard1 5 Dec 2012 16:43:58 27,700 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    My youth club
    This explains a lot.
    And why is that my good friend Herschel?

Hush you ponce

• senso-ji 5 Dec 2012 16:45:38 5,852 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember as a teen visiting an arcade centre in Leeds called Centre4. It was great as it always had the latest arcade machines. Closed down in the end, mainly due to their system where you had to purchase special coins to play the machines, so the local chavs would steal a load and sell them outside to you for half the price.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last