Mass Effect 3 Special Edition (Updated)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • CyborgD 5 Dec 2012 12:29:49 22 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does anyone know what today's update is? I took me a while to download it, maybe that's just Nintendo's servers though.
  • Raiko101 5 Dec 2012 13:56:05 6,696 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It would have been a general system update, rather than a Mass Effect one. It was a biggie, apparently. It's meant to improve system stability, and such things.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• bionutz 12 May 2013 19:29:29 61 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ok - i want to play ME3. I'm split between getting the wii u and ME3 and getting it on windows (which runs on my mac as a virtual machine). Are the controls on Wii U based on joystick or the wii remotes? I hate playing first person with joystick controls...
  • DFawkes 12 May 2013 20:42:56 24,044 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wouldn't it be a bit pricey buying a Wii U just to play a port of this? Unless you're dead set on using a Wiimote set-up. In that case, you should know it doesn't have one, so you'd be using the joysticks to move and aim. For you, it certainly sounds like the PC version would be the best option for you :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• drip 12 May 2013 21:12:40 4,637 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Depending on what sort of Mac you have, it might run better on that. I have no idea how capable Mac graphics power really is, but on my low-to-mid-range gaming PC it's one of the smoothest-running stable-framerate games of this gen, at full detail and 1920x1200x60fps, as opposed to the 720p30 or whatever it is the console versions run at. Funny enough, this way the pre-rendered cinematics have an awful quality compared to anything rendered in real time.

What I certainly like is mouse aiming, but that's a matter of preference. But of course you can play it with a gamepad if you prefer so.

Oh, and you can delete the files of annoyingly long pre-rendered cinematics that you've seen just often enough.

And then it's cheaper on Windows, obviously. And if you like it, you can buy ME1 and 2, and do a full trilogy playthrough with one character and his/her version of the story.

The downside of course is, depending on your setup, you may have to play it on a computer screen instead of your TV. Another downside is that I think it's always online, at least it connects to Origin each time before allowing me to play.

Still, for me the most important aspect is the superior performance, but again, I have no idea how well it runs on which Mac.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:18:04 12-05-2013
  • DFawkes 12 May 2013 21:26:02 24,044 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's also probably worth considering buying another console, if you're dead set on buying a new platform to play it on (assuming I've not mis-read your quandary Mr bionutz). Get it on 360 or PS3 and you'll have a cracking console with a great library of existing games. As I say, you'll be using the thumbsticks on Wii U anyway as it doesn't support pointy aiming.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Commander-Keen 13 May 2013 09:17:27 845 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For me personally, playing on a desktop computer is the only way to really enjoy these games. I know it's a bit pew pew pew, but it's not Halo and I think I would find the exploration / RPG elements of the game a bit ploddy on a console...
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next