Will there be a review and DF face-off for Mass Effect 1 on PS3?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • ozthegweat 4 Dec 2012 20:47:48 288 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This week, hell freezes over, as Mass Effect is being released for PS3. It's out today in the US and on Friday in Europe. Sooo... will there be a review on EG? And as BioWare said that it's been improved compared to the 360 version, will Digital Foundry do a face-off against the Xbox 360 version?
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 20:49:00
    Be a bit of a poor show if it can't equal a five year old release.
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 20:49:20 27,458 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If it's based on the same code they used to convert ME3, it's a safe bet to say it's still the inferior version.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• King_Edward 4 Dec 2012 20:51:06 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It can't run much worse than the 360 game did in any case.
  • Lukus 4 Dec 2012 21:01:29 19,475 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there any point? It's not like it's a new release for both consoles and there's loads of people debating which console to get it for. Those with both consoles who want it will have got it for the 360 by now.

Paintings & Photographs

• ozthegweat 4 Dec 2012 21:04:39 288 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Lukus For science?
  • Lukus 4 Dec 2012 21:05:33 19,475 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha, but it's hardly a fair test.

Paintings & Photographs

• dominalien 4 Dec 2012 21:21:32 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They might do this for fun. I know I would if I had the chance.

There would be little practical benefit, so late after its release on other platforms, apart maybe from letting us know if the game is playable at all.

PSN: DonOsito

• King_Edward 4 Dec 2012 21:22:40 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Ha, but it's hardly a fair test.
    Science isn't fair, it's thorough.
  • ozthegweat 4 Dec 2012 21:35:40 288 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Lukus Everything is fair in love and console wars :cool:
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 12:56:48
    I hope not, I used to enjoy reading DF and having them inform me how marginally shitter my PS3 is, now I can't be bothered; the next gen consoles are hopefully around the corner so I find face-offs largely redundant particularly for a game as old as Mass Effect.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2012 13:01:44
    The game is really buggy. havn't had many frame drops, but the cut scenes seem cut and pasted, i had to restart certain areas because my sqaud are firing into rocks and the scene won't end. its playable though, and enjoying it. Not sure how this compares to the original because i never played it.
  • spamdangled 11 Dec 2012 13:04:24 27,458 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    The game is really buggy. havn't had many frame drops, but the cut scenes seem cut and pasted, i had to restart certain areas because my sqaud are firing into rocks and the scene won't end. its playable though, and enjoying it. Not sure how this compares to the original because i never played it.
    Sounds like a spot on conversion to me.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• King_Edward 11 Dec 2012 13:08:39 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Except the frame rate. That sounds like a considerable improvement.
  • dominalien 11 Dec 2012 13:18:02 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it? The PS3 version is smooth enough, but not really rock-solid. Not really noticeable when moving forward, but panning the camera introduces visible judder. Almost as if it were running at something like 32-40 fps.

Now that we're talking about it, I really wish DF did a comparison. I stand by my earlier remark that it would be "just for fun", though.

• spamdangled 11 Dec 2012 13:23:00 27,458 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @dominalien

Yep. FPS in the first game was all over the place on 360. Are you getting the lovely texture pop-in during... Well, everything... As well?

• dominalien 11 Dec 2012 13:26:25 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @darkmorgado

No. I'm playing from the HDD, though (yes, I bought the PSN version for lots of money). I remember reading somewhere, however, that texture pop-in was one of the areas they really managed to improve.

Edit: Actually, the remark about "lots of money" for the PSN version is not accurate, because ME1 is for about 10 pounds on there, which doesn't seem like a huge rip-off. I did, however, but the entire trilogy, at around 50 pounds, which certainly qualifies as expensive. Maybe if I tell myself I'm stupid enough times I'll stop impulse-buying games I fancy but never play anyway.

Edited by dominalien at 13:30:28 11-12-2012

• Cappy 11 Dec 2012 13:32:47 12,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The main difference is V-Sync for the PS3 version, the poop graphics, lighting and textures are all still there. Bioware probably didn't dare to do much else.

The Tali sweat lickers lost their minds when Mass Effect was announced as coming to the PS3 because it was going to ruin their versions of the game.

Then they lost their minds when they heard that PS3 users were getting a crappy comic to fill in the gap where the original Mass Effect would have been. After making the comic available for everybody to shut these guys up the developers probably realised it wasn't worth it.

There were already fans asking about any improvements to Mass Effect for the PS3 being patched into their versions. Offering no real improvements besides the V-Sync makes things easier for Bioware.
  • PenguinJim 11 Dec 2012 13:42:01 6,010 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Weren't Bioware paid not to improve it..? ;)
  • Widge Moderator 11 Dec 2012 13:52:32 13,743 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh god don't go there

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Varkon 11 Dec 2012 15:51:07 23 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Downloaded it off PSN, has no bugs or glitches yet. Texture Pop in does occur every now and then but that doesnt bother me to much. Overall, it actually feels far more fluid than the xbox version
  • ozthegweat 12 Dec 2012 21:53:55 288 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    12 hours in, I can say that it runs better than on 360. Much more stable frame rate, almost no texture pop-in (although I run it from a HD/SSD hybrid hard disk, that might help), and I believe textures have a higher resolution. Two things are worse: it froze my PS3 two times, both during loading (where you see a spinning Mass Relay), although without the "your file system might be damaged and must be checked" message after booting it up again that always comes up when ME3 crashes. The other thing are save times. Jeez that takes forever! Don't know why it has to take that long just for writing that file onto the disk...

Really hope DF does a face-off! If not I WILL DIRECT THIS PERSONALLY.
  • dominalien 12 Dec 2012 22:08:56 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, saving takes forever.

As for texture pop-in, I only noticed it once, during the first shot of the presidium. Not saying it's nowhere else, just that I only saw it there. So far framerate's been mostly smooth, except when streaming in data from the HDD, when it stutters somewhat. Also, it takes a permanent hit in certain parts of the presidium, but doesn't seem too bad (20-odd fps, perhaps? Not really bothersome, but definitely "not smooth" anymore).

Not had a crash, but encountered two bugs, the latter of which forced me to reload a save: a line of spoken dialogue was missing when first meeting Ashley and the crewmembers have a way of crowding around me so I can't move. Sometimes it's possible to make them move away by taking out the weapon, but at one time they wouldn't budge at all and I lost some progress.

Also, I found the decryption minigame a huge pain. I read somewhere that many people were having problems with it, and I don't think the game explains it at all and I found no description in the manual either. Turns out what worked in my case was holding the indicated button until the next one lit up. I don't have a 100% success rate, but am able to dectypt stuff 8 times out of 10 now. Having to convert everything to omni gel to bypass decryption before was really, really getting on my nerves.

Edited by dominalien at 22:10:07 12-12-2012

• ozthegweat 13 Dec 2012 08:48:38 288 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @dominalien You can order your squadmates to a position with the up (or right? not sure) button on the directional pad. Might be useful when teammates crowd around you.

I haven't got any problems with the decryption minigame. I successfully beat every single decryption minigame but one, where I pressed a wrong button (might have been a bit drunk). And I never press and hold the indicated button, I simply quickly press it then return my thumb to hover over the buttons, twitching nervously.
  • dominalien 13 Dec 2012 09:15:39 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, I was looking for the option to order the squad to move, but couldn't immediately find it and decided it must have been introduced in ME2. :-)

As for the decryption minigame, my experience is unfortunately the very opposite of yours. :-(

• Cappy 13 Dec 2012 14:48:01 12,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Face Off is up on the front page.

Pretty much as expected, barely distinguishing itself from the low bar set by the 360 version. As low as 10FPS in some circumstances with sustained framerates of 15FPS recorded in some areas.

As predicted, no problems have been tweaked, it's a 1:1 port of a five year old game.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2012 14:49:47
    FACE OFF
  • nickthegun 13 Dec 2012 14:51:36 61,308 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The wii u version would dip down to 9fps, just to keep up the good run.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• ozthegweat 13 Dec 2012 14:56:32 288 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Deckard1 Yeah, just saw it! DIRECT INTERVENTION WAS NECESSARY. I HAVE FULFILLED MY DESTINY.

But ME on PS3 being better than on 360? BIOWARE, YOU HAVE COME TOO FAR.

Edited by ozthegweat at 15:00:10 13-12-2012
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next