Lego City : Undercover Page 17

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• Progguitarist 12 Apr 2013 11:00:37 10,401 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Just a couple of chapters. I like it for the same reason I like Ratchet and Clank....collecting those bolts/studs is bloody addictive.
  • aeschylus 12 Apr 2013 11:28:32 446 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nearly done with the main story, then the real game starts...

got to say by far the best bit was (and it will be me showing my age when Starsky and Hutch turned up, had me rolling out of my chair in laughter, my 5 year old thought I had lost the plot...

my favourite show from a kid

Edited by aeschylus at 11:29:10 12-04-2013
  • aeschylus 12 Apr 2013 11:30:24 446 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oh the cheeky fuckers with the helicopter, I thought finally do all the roof tops, but no they block you exiting the helicopter unless you are near to another veichle

Edited by aeschylus at 11:31:02 12-04-2013
  • addyb 12 Apr 2013 11:31:38 1,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Just a couple of chapters. I like it for the same reason I like Ratchet and Clank....collecting those bolts/studs is bloody addictive.
    I'm finding it taking an age to get to where I need to be as I'm like a moth to a flame when it comes to studs. I just keep collecting them.
  • Progguitarist 14 Apr 2013 11:27:10 10,401 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is a really, really great game. My kids adore it.
  • JiveHound 14 Apr 2013 11:39:36 2,345 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I agree. It's a hell of a lot more fun that I thought it would be.

It's like a GTA mashed up with a platformer with a Kid Icarus mechanic. I loved the Golden Gate bridge ascent.

The loading though, my god it's the worst I've seen for a long, long time. I hope this isn't going to be the way of it in the future.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• DFawkes 14 Apr 2013 11:53:26 22,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't mind the loading, as it's not like you have to sit there and watch it, but given the excellent writing in most of the game, it was an opportunity to stick up some helpful, funny tooltips. They really missed out an obvious chance to add a little more to the game.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Progguitarist 14 Apr 2013 13:04:51 10,401 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The loading times are pretty dreadful. Not the kind of thing you'd expect to see from a system released later than 7/8 year old consoles.
  • DaM 14 Apr 2013 14:15:22 12,901 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has anyone had an issue with crashes (of the game, not bad driving ;) ). I've had to pull the plug on the WiiU 4 times over the last 2 days. Mind you it is being played from 7am-midnight, fighting with my sons for access to it....

What a fabulous game - everything GTA should be but isn't. It reminds me of Crackdown too. An open world, but packed full of fun stuff you can actually do.

I'm trying to power through the story to unlock all the character types, as there is nothing worse than reaching a hard to get to point, and finding a locked secret.

And the script is great too - jokes and references clearly aimed at adults.

After this, I'd love Lego Elder Scrolls, how excellent would that be?!
  • Red_Bool 14 Apr 2013 16:03:47 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Me and my kids are loving this as well - however it's testing my wife's patience as she has to sit through each chapter three times :D We all got our own save, since my kids are playing in Dutch whereas I'm using English to catch all the puns and jokes ;)
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Apr 2013 22:54:34 10,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just did Chapter 4 (Mining Level) and really enjoyed it.
    Does this standard keep up?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Sid-Nice 15 Apr 2013 23:17:22 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I just did Chapter 4 (Mining Level) and really enjoyed it.
    Does this standard keep up?
    It gets better.

NNID Sid-Nice

• DaM 16 Apr 2013 19:01:49 12,901 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Judging from the howls of delight coming from the games room, I thought my boy must have found the T Rex...but no...he's shooting around in a wheelchair, knocking cars and people out the way...
  • Progguitarist 18 Apr 2013 13:45:14 10,401 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know people moan about review scores but the Edge 5/10 for this is very odd.
  • DaM 18 Apr 2013 13:49:16 12,901 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    I know people moan about review scores but the Edge 5/10 for this is very odd.
    Yes, very strange. It's my favourite game at the moment, nothing else is getting a look-in. It's GTA without the misery and added fun.
  • DFawkes 18 Apr 2013 14:01:08 22,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I genuinely can't comprehend how they got that, and that's even after reading their review. They think the city is boring yet call it "San Franciscan" when it really, really isn't - it's a city made of different districts based on different places. There is a San Francisco (including bridge and prison), but there's also a little London, Italy, Miami, New York and a lot of generic types like farmland and redneck country ;) Even calling it "San Franciscan" makes me think they didn't play it too far.

Given the game really only begins once you've completed all the levels (which for me even with lots of exploring was only 39%), I do hope that isn't the case. it's certainly not a "dull place to explore" - nigh on every building has something to do. There's little wasted space anywhere :)

"Slowdown and pop-in proving to be particularly frequent annoyances", well I'll grant them that some things (especially completed Super Builds) do pop up quite abruptly. But I've not had any slowdown. Pop up is rarely an annoyance for me either, especially with collectibles as I scan and mark them first to make it easier to keep track.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's flaws, like the platforming sometimes being a bit flakey, and the loading times are a bit unreasonable, especially starting it up where you have to wait for it to load the menu, then again to load the game. But I just find it's too fun to bother me!

Joystiq gave it a 6/10, but at least I understand why - they felt slogging through the Story got in the way of the best bits, which I actually agree with to an extent. I'd have preferred more missions set out in the City.

I love it though, especially now I'm done the Story and can focus on the bits I love. I also bought this Lego set because playing so much of a Lego game made me crave Lego.

Edited by DFawkes at 14:11:14 18-04-2013

• DaM 18 Apr 2013 14:28:38 12,901 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Loading times are appalling - but rare. I get a slight flicker sometimes, but that could be my shitty old TV. And the full value of exploring will only become useful when all the costumes are unlocked, but it doesn't stop you, you normally get something. It's probably got the best script of any game I've ever played - I don't recall laughing out loud before.

If I was being ultra-picky, 8/10, but 5 is a joke.
  • DFawkes 18 Apr 2013 14:35:04 22,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still think about this one and laugh. I'll tag it just in case:

Chase trying to convince a criminal he's bad, and gets asked if he's ever stolen anything.

Chase: I... stole a pen once.
    Criminal: (disappointed tone) Oh.
    After a pause
    Chase: A THOUSAND pens! (Pause)
    From a child. (Pause)
    With a limp!

Plus revisit Blue in prison and listen to his chat with another Prisoner. Throughout the game there are so many little jokes here and there it's hard to keep track :)

Edited by DFawkes at 14:36:09 18-04-2013

• DaM 18 Apr 2013 18:49:15 12,901 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Business or Pleasure gag at the start was excellent. It beats anything on BBC3 :)
  • aeschylus 19 Apr 2013 00:08:05 446 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My son now every time we are outside starts running and goes...

Stop...... Or I will............keep running after you!! Lol

Edited by aeschylus at 00:08:28 19-04-2013
  • figaro7 29 Apr 2013 12:23:33 1,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having a blast with this, some of the missions are funny indeed, plays a bit loose but it takes nothing away from how fun this is.
  • DFawkes 29 Apr 2013 12:39:22 22,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's an insane amount to do, and that's one you've done all of the story! I put a good couple of hours in most night and I'm doing well if I add a couple of percent onto completion. I'm not even messing around much, just doing all the stuff.

I'll still have to redo the story levels too for collectibles too. It's a testament to how enjoyable the game is that I'm doing it because I want to, not because it's asking me to :)

• midi82 30 Apr 2013 08:47:35 662 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I put a good couple of hours in last night just in Cherry tree hills, I thought I was getting loads of stuff, I got quite a few secrets, I think I have done most of the stuff for that area, and I think I was about 2-3% further on.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2013 00:26:20 10,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished theT-Rex Robbery in Chapter 10, bonkers to say the least!

• Red_Bool 3 May 2013 08:20:55 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Both my sons already finished the story (I tried not to watch too much as it's spoiling my own playthrough - I'm about to start chapter 10) - and now they're still 'fighting' who gets to go first :D
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2013 08:40:31 10,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Both my sons already finished the story (I tried not to watch too much as it's spoiling my own playthrough - I'm about to start chapter 10) - and now they're still 'fighting' who gets to go first :D
    The humour is hit and miss for adults but I can imagine kids would find the game hilarious.

• Lt_Drebin 3 May 2013 08:50:36 143 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just finished chapter 10 as well. The game really takes me back to the first time I played banjo kazooie. All charming animation, interesting areas to explore and collectibles at every turn. Marvellous stuff. With the push for more cinema-like experiences it seems this approach to games has fallen by the wayside a little which is a shame imo.
  • figaro7 3 May 2013 09:18:54 1,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep just completed that chapter myself, brilliant stuff, the voice acting is top notch, even when coming through the gamepad. The choice of a real world landscape covered in lego has that natural feeling of real life. It does look a bit off at times but i enjoy it.

Im surprised at the variety, thought it would have hit a lul by now but it does just enough to keep things fresh, whether its a new suit or some new puzzles to solve, which arent that difficult but still rewarding. Then the games story missions take you to a different place alltogether and it just keeps on going and keeps the humour up.

One thing i would have liked is a little more to the combat system, its too simple.
  • figaro7 6 May 2013 07:44:07 1,362 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Knocked over the campaign last night, last few missions are brilliant and i loved the humour in the fireman lever with arnie, just hilerious, im surprised the game keeps up its variety throughout and never lets up. It doesnt have branching factions or force you to have a certain level of this before you can proceed, it flows really well from one mission to the next.

Its ironic that you dont really notice that there isnt any fast travel as driving from one area to another is enjoying in itself and you cant say that about any other open world game.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 May 2013 07:48:06 10,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just finished Chapter 11, the games does get much better after the first few chapters, great variety and silliness. It's so great to play a game that doesn't take itself seriously.

• Page

of 19 First / Last