Lego City : Undercover Page 10

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• Khanivor 14 Mar 2013 02:06:14 40,554 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I want to play this game. On a machine that can handle it.
  • Psychotext 14 Mar 2013 02:27:06 53,982 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like every other open world game I'll be giving it a pass.

I lack the imagination for such things. :(
  • CharlieStCloud 14 Mar 2013 08:30:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks like Eurogamer is still the place to rely on a LEGO game receiving a high score!

... the last seven or eight pages makes for some amusing material to read now though.
  • roz123 14 Mar 2013 08:46:20 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quite a few reviews online now but none from the big american sites yet.
    Metro 7/10

In Short: It’s a not a very good advert for the Wii U but this is still a hugely entertaining open world game, with one of the funniest video game scripts ever.
    The gist I am getting is a lot of reviews are enjoying the humour and the open world has plenty to do but the loading times are atrocious and it suffers from inconsistent frame rates and pop in.
  • vyseofhr 14 Mar 2013 08:51:48 822 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Could they be patched though? We are in the age of post-release fixes, after all.

The EG review still isn't enough to make me reinstate a pre-order.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• kalel 14 Mar 2013 08:52:24 87,120 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Reads like a review of a different game.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2013 09:00:44 10,608 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Which reviews are you comparing?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 14 Mar 2013 09:08:47 59,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im usually the first to laugh at 'reads like a [whatever]' but that review didnt read like a nine.

Glad it seems good, though. If the formula is successful, hopefully it can be applied to licensed products on other platforms.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• CharlieStCloud 14 Mar 2013 09:15:40 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Funnily enough, a website like Nintendo Life who usually gives almost any game on the Wii U a point or two higher than a typical mainstream review would, actually gave LEGO City Undercover a fairly solid 8/10 that doesn't sound all too convincing either.

... seems like there is quite a fair bit of technical issues unfortunately.
  • treegreen 14 Mar 2013 09:17:23 103 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Eurogamer probably felt compelled to give it an extra point after that gushing preview they gave it the other week.
  • binky Moderator 14 Mar 2013 09:19:23 9,581 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Could be that the reviewer just genuinely enjoyed it and thought it was fun.
    Weird huh.
  • nickthegun 14 Mar 2013 09:24:34 59,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it an open ended sandbox or not because im getting mixed messages? Its like there are two different games doing the rounds.

• roz123 14 Mar 2013 09:42:44 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think apart from some car chases and the like missions are mostly linear but when you are outside a mission there is plenty to do in the city
    From the metro review:
    There are no side quests in the traditional sense but each area of the city is awash with secrets and hidden extras. As a result you can barely move a metre in the game world without coming across something new to do or collect. From arresting gangs of vandals to watering plants and rescuing cats the game world is stuffed to bursting with entertaining distractions.
    At the end of the day the gameplay is not going to break any new ground or test your gaming skills so if you are older then 12 what you have to ask yourself is does this appeal to you?

Even so the script throughout is superb, and this is one of the funniest video games we’ve ever played. It may not be as subversive as Portal but the endless series of gentle puns and absurdities had us chortling away just the same. ‘I should have joined the army’, complains a hapless mine worker. ‘Then I could’ve been a major not a miner’.

‘How’s the building going? asks one construction worker. ‘The first floor was easy, but the rest – that’s a whole other storey’. The jokes are about as edgy as a snooker ball but we found them all highly amusing, especially the Arnold Schwarzenegger stand-in who manages to mention one of his movies or film quotes in every single sentence.
    Edited by roz123 at 09:43:52 14-03-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Mar 2013 09:43:12 3,282 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the general idea seems to be that if you REALLY enjoyed the other Lego games from this gen (which Eurogamer did), then Undercover is going to be a very enjoyable game to play.

However, if you thought they were dull, uninspired games that adults shouldnt play (like Edge did), then its probably not worth picking up.

Easy.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Armoured_Bear 14 Mar 2013 09:45:36 10,608 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    I think the general idea seems to be that if you REALLY enjoyed the other Lego games from this gen (which Eurogamer did), then Undercover is going to be a very enjoyable game to play.

However, if you thought they were dull, uninspired games that adults shouldnt play (like Edge did), then its probably not worth picking up.

Easy.
    Sounds about right.
    Also depends on how much long loading times and unstable framerates will bother you.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Raiko101 14 Mar 2013 09:58:44 6,222 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm surprised about the technical issues. It's not like the game hasn't been in development for a long, long time. Of course some will write it off as being the limitations of the hardware. I remember those COD images doing the rounds and folk saying things like "Wii U can't do shadows".

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• kalel 14 Mar 2013 10:00:14 87,120 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The review certainly seems to blame the hardware.
  • Raiko101 14 Mar 2013 10:07:35 6,222 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd like to say, lets wait for Watch_Dogs, but that is still 6-8 months away... Assassin's Creed III is like a handful of smaller sandboxes, with a ton of characters on screen at once and that never really struggles. You might see a couple of horses and a carriage come out of the ground and get stuck in wall, but the game runs smoothly enough as it does that.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• kalel 14 Mar 2013 10:09:03 87,120 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Which reviews are you comparing?
    EDGE and EG obviously.

Compare:

It’s hard to imagine how TT Fusion could have done a better job with the building blocks provided than this bright, friendly, always sunny and loosely San Franciscan sprawl, but it’s a dull place to explore. A pine-filled forest full of Lego animals is a singular highlight, but otherwise Undercover doesn’t move beyond monotonously metro, the straight lines and hard materials of a nondescript urban environment failing to provide the entertaining clash between the setting and the building materials that other Lego games have relied on.

Lego City itself feels quite passive to begin with as you tear between mission objectives - lacking the character of Liberty City's many different boroughs and neighbourhoods, or eye-catching landmarks like Crackdown's Agency Tower - but once you stop and zoom in on an area, you realise it's been dressed very cleverly. It doesn't matter if you're circling a log cabin in the countryside, poking through alleyways on an industrial estate or clambering over shipping containers at the docks; you quickly find little breadcrumb trails terminating in a hidden character, a Super Brick stash or a side mission, or little squirts of pointless fun like assembling five bubblegum machines or winning a basketball mini-game.

But yes, bottom line is Tom clearly really likes the Lego games, and therefore he really likes this. Seems a reasonable recommendation therefore for anyone who really likes the Lego games.
  • Triggerhappytel 14 Mar 2013 10:28:31 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Could be that the reviewer just genuinely enjoyed it and thought it was fun.
    Weird huh.
    Trouble is, he said very little about the actual gameplay. He was too busy talking about the humour and assuring readers that it's still successful without the license, honest!

I'm not convinced. In my personal opinion EG have been way too lenient on Lego gamed in the past.
  • mikew1985 14 Mar 2013 10:50:48 12,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think Tom just loves games and I don't doubt that he genuinely loved the game.

He's been giving a lot of games high scores for a long time now.
  • roz123 14 Mar 2013 10:51:51 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    IGN 8.0
    CVG 8.2
  • aeschylus 14 Mar 2013 10:57:52 446 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find it a little sad really, that people are so worried (probably not the right word) that any good reviews are now "there must be a reason, for him to score it so highly"

As I have said countless times, why could it not be that Edge have simply reviewed it wrong, they are now the only ones with a poor score, but nope, all the haters are still going on about "ONE" bad review..

Lets recap

Review scores so far (I will only list official ones)

that tells you all you need to know, it does not take a miracle worker to see the odd one out...

of course all the reviewers are wrong and Edge is right

Edited by aeschylus at 10:58:11 14-03-2013
  • nickthegun 14 Mar 2013 10:58:37 59,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im glad to see there is tearing. It wouldnt be a lego game without the screen being sheared in half every few seconds.

• creepylizard 14 Mar 2013 10:58:42 786 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    aeschylus wrote:
    I find it a little sad really, that people are so worried (probably not the right word) that any good reviews are now "there must be a reason, for him to score it so highly"

As I have said countless times, why could it not be that Edge have simply reviewed it wrong, they are now the only ones with a poor score, but nope, all the haters are still going on about "ONE" bad review..

Lets recap

that tells you all you need to know, it does not take a miracle worker to see the odd one out...

Exactly. Glad you agree
    With the Edge score, that is..

Edited by creepylizard at 11:00:37 14-03-2013
  • nickthegun 14 Mar 2013 10:59:06 59,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who gave it 95?

• Deleted user 14 March 2013 10:59:55
    Come on please! If this came out on 'other' consoles, we would pack up the 9/10 of score and go yup, another decent lego game, look forward to playing it. Can't wait to get it etc, and people only interested in getting the game would post.

As its on a nintendo system, people on both sides are trying to find every niggling details to descredit the score and other peoples opinions. I think its pretty clear, if you enjoyed lego games in the past, you will enjoy this. Thats all there is too it.
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Mar 2013 11:02:05 3,282 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spot on.

Saying that though, every time a new review is released for it, it does make that Edge review look more and more........isolated.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• aeschylus 14 Mar 2013 11:04:33 446 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Come on please! If this came out on 'other' consoles, we would pack up the 9/10 of score and go yup, another decent lego game, look forward to playing it. Can't wait to get it etc, and people only interested in getting the game would post.

As its on a nintendo system, people on both sides are trying to find every niggling details to descredit the score and other peoples opinions. I think its pretty clear, if you enjoyed lego games in the past, you will enjoy this. Thats all there is too it.

Agreed, and I am only defending it because the thread is now filled with "oh EG reviewer has got it wrong, this game sucks, have you not read the Edge review"
  • vyseofhr 14 Mar 2013 11:05:19 822 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    creepylizard wrote:
    aeschylus wrote:

Lets recap

Exactly. Glad you agree
    With the Edge score, that is..
    Average of 79.5. Exactly what you'd expect from a Lego game.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• Page

of 19 First / Last