Game of the Year 2012 Page 2

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• ram 4 Dec 2012 11:06:28 3,488 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think Borderlands 2 followed by XCOM. Far Cry 3 might win it eventually for me but I've only put in about 5 hours.

XCOM would have won but for me the AI on Classic just feels a little bit 'cheaty' whilst the AI on normal is too easy.
  • redcrayon 4 Dec 2012 11:10:37 4,574 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    XCOM for me, with Dragons Dogma and Kid Icarus in second/third place.
  • PearOfAnguish 4 Dec 2012 11:11:41 7,501 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Mark of the Ninja, Far Cry 3, Trials Evolution. Can't pick one.
  • Widge Moderator 4 Dec 2012 11:13:37 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't judge but I've only really played two games this year:

Mass Effect 3

(Planetside 2 is just bedding in)

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Razz 4 Dec 2012 11:17:04 61,663 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sonic & All Star Racing Transformed for me, came out of nowhere and kicked me in the arse.
    Borderlands 2 is up there too, but I expected that to be good :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• WinterSnowblind 4 Dec 2012 11:21:06 1,250 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Guild Wars 2. I really love the world, the sense of exploration and the fact I know I'll be playing the game for several years.

XCOM and Journey are runners up.
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 11:45:45 61,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Angry Birds: Star Wars

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• spindle9988 4 Dec 2012 11:46:48 3,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New star soccer
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 11:50:05
    Dishonored
    Halo 4
    X com
    Max Payne 3

All fantastic, if has to pick one then dishonored.
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 12:03:14
    - Mass Effect 3
    - The Walking Dead
    - Journey
    - Dishonoured
    - Borderlands 2
    - FIFA 13
    - Trials Evolution
    - XCOM : Enemy Unknown
    - Far Cry 3
    - Halo 4
    - Max Payne 3
    - Assassins Creed III
    - Call of Duty : Black Ops II
    - NFS : Most Wanted
    - Sleeping Dogs

The list might as well be produced by marketing people than gamers. Journey and Sleeping Dogs are the only two potentials imo from the list(I bought AC3, but it isn't quite GotY material).

Journey would definitely be a worthy candidate still, but just for story telling alone I'd put Gravity Rush on par or above it. Although I'd also put Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown in the mix for being brilliant, cheap and 720p60 v-sync on both consoles.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 12:03:59 44,966 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played XCOM, have you vizzini? And all the games on that list?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Zomoniac 4 Dec 2012 12:06:09 7,997 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Actually, I'm giving mine to LittleBigPlanet Vita, for super happy fun fun goodness.
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 12:08:23 61,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gravity Rush isnt even one of the best games on the vita. Swipe to dodge, my arse.

• Stickman 4 Dec 2012 12:15:46 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:

The list might as well be produced by marketing people than gamers.
    Apart from, you know, it was produced by gamers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• imamazed 4 Dec 2012 12:18:48 5,964 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tempted to say The Walking Dead as it was a massive breath of fresh air. An amazing story, by far the most emotional I've ever got over a videogame. Thoroughly Reccomeneded.

However, it's got to be Trials Evolution. It's just such a huge game for about ten notes. The level design is exquisite, the game has its own distinctive look and it kept hold of the Trials HD magic. On top of that, you get unlimited free maps from millions of different creative minds (which does, admittedly, somewhat devalue the leaderboard system but if treated as a seperate part of the game just for experimentation is fantastic), a genuinely fun local multiplayer mode (bailout finishes in particular), a host of new environments and the DLC is fantastic as well.
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 12:20:12
    @nickthegun

You are entitled to your opinion. The swiping mechanic doesn't bother me, it is quite good, and can be used sparingly once you get the hang of the gravity shifting :)

I am primarily a story based gamer, as everything will eventually feel like the same puzzle. However the story telling in Valkyria Chronicles was unrivalled for me until recently, and then Gravity Rush matched it, or possibly bettered it. It is a hugely underrated game imho

Sorry LeolianBro, I take it back about XCOM, I was still blinded by all the FPS and EA games in the list. I do need to give it a try, as it might be brilliant.
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 12:23:41 27,485 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Soooo many to choose from. I'm hugely averse to give it to something I'm still playing through right now so I'm not going to say Far Cry 3 or Hitman (though both come close for me), and I was so disappointed in others that stuff like ME3 and Ridge Racer would comfortably go on the "other list".

On balance, I'm going to say Dishonoured. Both because it's a new IP, has some excellent design, a good story and is wonderfully evocative of Thief whilst doing its own thing. It's one of the few single-player games that I can say I played through immediately a second time after the credits finished rolling at the end of my first.

If I include an award for "Games I played this year but came out earlier", then possibly Ghost Trick.

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:28:42 04-12-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 12:24:19 10,384 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So far...far cry 3 hands down.
  • Murbs 4 Dec 2012 12:25:21 22,591 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DON'T FORGET THE FEZ

Dishonored is my game of the year with the above running second. Got some glorious stuff on the Vita that would run close if only I'd spent long enough with them...
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 12:25:57 61,348 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The story telling in gravity rush? The same gravity rush that features the generic amnesiac anime chick with the cat? Ok then.

• SClaw 4 Dec 2012 12:27:14 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tough year but two absolute gems really shine for me; Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 and Tales of Graces f. I think Tales takes it simply for being a better overall game in every way, but HN2 was super charming and just a lot of fun to play.

Nothing western market really impressed me. Planetside 2, obviously, and Borderlands 2 are great but they'd never make my top lists. Nor would XCOM, which is a great game... but not quite as great as it could have been.
  • EMarkM 4 Dec 2012 12:27:34 3,459 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1st: Dragon's Dogma
    2nd: Mass Effect 3
    3rd: Journey
  • andytheadequate 4 Dec 2012 12:28:26 8,375 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Every year the game that gets goty is the last decent game that was released.

For me its trials evo or minecraft xbla. I'm hoping planetside 2 will grab me but it's too early to tell for that.
  • Rens11 4 Dec 2012 12:28:26 1,465 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Although it didn't come out this year the best game I've played all year is easily Vanquish

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• neilka 4 Dec 2012 12:33:12 16,559 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Angry Birds: Star Wars
    get out

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• SomaticSense 4 Dec 2012 12:33:44 9,191 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it counts, then it has to be Dark Souls: PTE. Even though I already poured countless hours into the vanilla release, playing through it again wass still my best gaming experience of the year, and probably ever.

If that doesn't count as a proper 2012 release, then it the honour would easily go to Borderlands 2.
  • LockeTribal 4 Dec 2012 12:37:04 4,540 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yet again I've played very few games this year that were actually released this year, but Journey was one of them and was one of the most fantastic gaming experiences I've ever had, so it gets my nomination.

Hotline Miami is also a brilliant game, bugs and all, and perfectly hits my fun spot.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last