Game of the Year 2012 Page 7

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• onestepfromlost 9 Dec 2012 21:38:32 2,083 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    in no particular order, hard to put my finger on which one is GOTY for me but from borderlands 2 xcom and maybe even dragons dogma.
  • Errol 9 Dec 2012 21:39:13 12,507 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dishonored for me.
  • Ford_Assassin 9 Dec 2012 22:08:18 69 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dark souls and the walking dead
  • Lyserberg 9 Dec 2012 22:26:15 349 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've seen all the stuff and i have few stuff to say about it:
    NBA2K13 being the sports game of the year is completely understandable, i'm actually a FIFA player, never played NBA2K locally, but from what i've seen it's by far the best gameplay and presentation that any sports game has ever been able to achieve, music, teams, movements, INB4 games cut-scenes... all of it is just greatly done, even if FIFA did make a leap in this year's game, but it's far from being the excellent job that 2K has put into their excellent basketball game despite of the fact that running a closed stadium with only 10 players on the pitch is actually easier and lighter on console rather than a huge stadium with 60.000 spectators (even if they're lowly polygoned) and high detailed 22 players along with more complicated runs and with/without the ball positioning... i think we'll have to see what next-gen brings up to give enough horse power to both games to unleash their full potential. ;-)

Need For Speed Most Wanted being the racing game of the year is a total joke, i've laughed so hard when i've seen it, it was maybe chosen for its pop-corn style action with cops running behind and stuff and not being exclusive to one console (who the f***ing cares ?), but it's far from being the experience delivered by the open landscapes, fairly customisable and well open and beautiful style of roads that Forza Horizon features... i have a feeling that while the developpers' efforts on this game were so huge and didn't simply pay off even though we weren't dissapointed in any special way, NFS MW just surprisingly and without so much pain got it...

Also i'm not agreeing with the fact that Dawnguard is being the DLC of the year, the scarlett thing on Borderlands 2 and the Omega DLC in Mass Effect 3 were actually far more intresting for me, there wasn't too many good DLCs this year (like if nobody cares...) but i don't think that Dawnguard is the best DLC anyone was able to put up this year.

Edited by Lyserberg at 22:29:40 09-12-2012

La cerise sur le gâteau!

• Lyserberg 9 Dec 2012 22:28:07 349 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sorry for double posting, but why am i saying this ?
    It's simply because GOTYs of the year were already announced, i've got the info from another forum, just google it and you'll find the whole list of games for each platform, category and stuff, and of course the absolute GOTY : The Walking Dead, i haven't actually played it yet, i've heared so many good things about it and i'm thinking of trying this bad boy out...

Edited by Lyserberg at 22:31:46 09-12-2012

La cerise sur le gâteau!

• spamdangled 9 Dec 2012 22:29:36 27,413 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hang on, is someone actually trying to argue that dawnguard was excellent?

If so... Wut.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Murbal 12 Dec 2012 11:20:30 22,378 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Loving ShopTo's idea of the 20 games of the year!

http://www.shopto.net/landing/top_20
  • Ultrasoundwave 12 Dec 2012 11:27:30 3,339 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Loving ShopTo's idea of the 20 games of the year!

http://www.shopto.net/landing/top_20
    Not entirely sure how MOH is on that list??

:|

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• DaM 12 Dec 2012 11:27:51 13,338 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still Skyrim for me! Dishonoured still in the box...
  • RedSparrows 12 Dec 2012 11:50:11 23,309 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    @RedSparrows I more or less agree, I think it says a lot about the genre. It really needs a Half Life 3 shaped kick in the ass.
    This + 1000000.
  • roz123 12 Dec 2012 12:07:31 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I enjoyed Walking Dead and have been a fan of Telltales games since the start and I am glad its getting recognised but am I the only person who is a little surprised about the praise its getting for its story and its finale. Zombie stories all eventually involve shooting your mate/partner/daughter/dad in the face at some point and its always emotional, its always the same.
  • Cappy 12 Dec 2012 12:35:50 12,026 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Walking Dead takes a different approach to popular games featuring zombies that we've seen previously.

In Resident Evil, you've got a gun, you've got health items. You can control the situation. Nearly all zombie games are similar in that respect.

The Walking Dead opts to present us with no-win situations, you don't have control, every step of the way, you're considering the futility of the struggle for survival because there is no way out, no visible scenario where you can win, in that respect it reflects an aspect of zombie fiction that's been absent in games because it just wouldn't work well in an action game.

Just like most of the films, in the end, the zombies always win because they're an overwhelming, persistent force waiting for you to finally make the inevitable mistake,
  • SomaticSense 12 Dec 2012 13:29:51 8,714 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Halo 4 is a great Halo game but that's also its problem, the Halo design is starting to show its age. I think the consensus is that 4 is proving that 343 can make a proper Halo game and update it a bit, they didn't go far enough really but probably didn't want to alienate 'teh hardcorz' so the next one will be where they start doing something a bit different.
    I'm one of 'teh hardcorz', and yet I found it to be the the most disappointing release of the year. A regression for the series with regards to the SP.

The series is starting to really feel dated, especially the level design, and needs far more than a narrative kick up the arse.
  • Commander-Keen 12 Dec 2012 13:55:23 819 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DaM Wasn't Skyrim last year Otherwise that would've made my top five, for sure...
  • Gambit1977 12 Dec 2012 14:00:42 10,195 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Commander Keen I thought it was november last year, yeah.
  • kinky_mong 12 Dec 2012 14:49:50 10,457 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I haven't played Far Cry 3 or Dishonored yet which could be contenders, but my best games of the year in no particular order are:

Fez
    Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed
    Trials Evo
    Borderlands 2
    Halo 4

And I can probably include Rayman Origins & Dark Souls on technicalities because they had versions released this year and I only got round to playing them in 2012.

Worst Games would be:

Lollipop Chainsaw. A patchwork of all the worst things from modern oversimplified gaming with shit humour thrown in to boot.

Kid Icarus: Uprising. Half of the game is a brilliant Starfox style shooter, such a shame that the other half is a poorly controlled mess that actually hurts to play because of the awkwardness required to hold the 3DS.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• RedSparrows 12 Dec 2012 14:51:52 23,309 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My games of the year have been largely unexpected/old.
  • muttler 12 Dec 2012 15:21:20 4,134 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would vote for Xcom and Far Cry 3 but I haven't played them yet.

From what I've played I've gone for:

1. Halo 4
    2. Sonic Racing Transformed
    3. The Walking Dead
    4. Soul Calibur V
    5. Ghost Recon Future Soldier
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Dec 2012 15:08:43 3,339 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Destructoid have given their GOTY to :

The Walking Dead

Even though its not my personal choice, at the same time i cant argue with them - brilliant, brilliant game.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• SolidSCB 14 Dec 2012 15:27:04 6,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The only game I've played for any real length of time this year is the MGS HD Collection, so that.
  • Lamb 14 Dec 2012 15:35:51 474 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Guild Wars 2. End of.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 15:40:00
    Dear Esther.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 16:11:09
    Without a doubt it has to be The Walking Dead.

I don't think any other game this year has touched me or engaged me quite as much.
  • Gambit1977 14 Dec 2012 16:11:51 10,195 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    Without a doubt it has to be The Walking Dead.

I don't think any other game this year has touched me or engaged me quite as much.
    The Jimmy Savile game is out next year mate.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 16:21:02
    Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 16:22:43
    @Gambit1977 Pfft. It was consensual. :p
  • Rens11 16 Dec 2012 12:03:26 1,419 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started the walking dead on PC last night for the first time after having bought it in the steam summer sale. Aside from the stiff animation and dodgy lip sync it's fucking fantastic, only on chapter 1 but already a GOTY contender. Can't remember the last time I followed a game's dialogue so closely.

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• Deleted user 16 December 2012 12:55:18
    does dark souls qualify?

wish I'd played journey : /
  • Page

of 8 First / Last