Cheap Gaming PC

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • imamazed 3 Dec 2012 10:25:57 5,964 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been playing my games on consoles for years now as I haven't had the money for a decent PC, and, especially whilst I was at university, a console seemed like an easier option. But I do miss the days of playing PC games. Recently I've been giving a little thought into getting a proper PC to play games, and thanks to a new job I have a little free cash to spend.

However, I really have no knowledge of the PC Gaming platform anymore. Basically, I was wondering how much I'd have to spend to get a decent computer good enough to play the newest releases. I'm looking to spend about 400, how close to possible is that?
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Dec 2012 10:27:52 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely possible as long as you don't expect a monster rig! (will easily out power 360/ps3 though)

There's a budget PC thread that is worth reading, I think a mod will direct you there shortly too.
  • imamazed 3 Dec 2012 10:30:00 5,964 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for the links.

Sorry though, I should have added; I'm not very tech-savvy. I'm looking to buy an all-in-one unit, not build my own. I could possibly fit a new graphics card, but that's about it!
  • RobTheBuilder 3 Dec 2012 10:32:42 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @imamazed I'd say continue this in the budget pc thread as you'll get more tech people in there to help. You'll spend more if you don't build it, and it's not actually that difficult, so worth considering!
  • imamazed 3 Dec 2012 10:39:13 5,964 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks Rob.

Powers that be - I suppose this thread can be closed now
  • ZuluHero 3 Dec 2012 11:14:27 4,338 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I created the DF pc with 8gb RAM (even though you're not supposed to see the benefit) for 287.

Its been great. And as far as putting it all together, really easy, like giant lego.

2 things that happened to me, the PSU was a little tricky to get right (as mentioned in the article) and the cpu fan wires were stopping the blades from spinning, which was causing the PC to blue screen. Thankfully intel CPUs are pretty robust, and will shut-down before meltdown. AMD chipsets aren't so forgiving!

Anyway good luck - has to be the best PC ive owned and the fact that DF use it in all their benchmarks means you'll no exactly how it copes when you buy a game - so no more worrying about how it will fare! :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 11:15:09 03-12-2012
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next