SMART TVs - Catch up only use

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • ibenam 1 Dec 2012 22:33:20 1,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We dont have a live aerial (as refuse to pay for TV license) therefore we only watch Catchup TV, Youtube & Lovefilm/Netflix, films on USB .

Previously we had a PS3 for all of these needs but I'm selling that now.

Smart TV's caught my eye but was wondering can they do all of the things that the PS3 did.

I would require all of the terrestial TV catchup, allow divx films via USB, and Youtube and Lovefilm/Netflix

I have a fast internet connection and need DLNA as I need it completely wireless.

Budget is around <£750 for a 37"

Any help with TV links would be appreciated
  • mrpon 1 Dec 2012 23:16:00 28,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Considered a YouView box?

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• BravoGolf Moderator 1 Dec 2012 23:18:40 12,741 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Evidently Samsung's Smart TV can but not tried it myself. If you're in the UK YouView will provide you the catchup services you need anyway. Check out the EG HDTV thread.
  • ibenam 1 Dec 2012 23:52:26 1,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dont want Youview as its a waste of money in my case having no aerial.

Additionally i only want the TV on the wall and dont want additional boxes.
  • ZuluHero 1 Dec 2012 23:57:45 4,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretty sure you still need a licence for tv catchup?
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 23:58:04
    Unless your current TV is shit, with that budget you'd be better off getting a small-form PC and sticking XBMC on it for a bastard good media centre - You can watch streaming/catch-up through it too.

You can get one nowadays that can actually hook behind the TV and be completely out of sight. A billion times better than any SmartTV, which are almost universally slow and unwieldy.
  • mrpon 2 Dec 2012 00:56:57 28,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    I dont want Youview as its a waste of money in my case having no aerial.

Additionally i only want the TV on the wall and dont want additional boxes.
    The catchup element doesn't need an aerial. But fair enough on the clutter aspect.

• Jazzy_Geoff 2 Dec 2012 01:00:00 7,767 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fucking parasite
  • ComradePete 2 Dec 2012 09:16:48 487 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Pretty sure you still need a licence for tv catchup?
    Not if you only watch catch-up - as long as you're not watching it live on the iplayer etc. you don't need one.

Still, it's not that much & the BBC is well worth it - you'll miss it when it's gone...
  • Tricky 2 Dec 2012 09:32:36 4,397 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah that's the way I'd think about it - catchup or not, you're still watching the content you freeloader, so pay up. Unless of course you don't watch anything from the BBC but then seeing as it's about the only decent content provider left in the UK I'd be surprised if that were the case.

/awaits usual shite justifications about not wanting to pay for Strictly Come The Voice On Ice etc.
  • ZuluHero 2 Dec 2012 09:34:53 4,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ComradePete

I just had a google and found this thread:

http://forums.tvcatchup.com/showthread.php?45-Do-I-need-TV-license-to-watch-TVCatchup.com

Quote: :please see link in signature

Viewers (in the UK) are required to be in possession of a TV licence for viewing programmes as they are being broadcast. It is not our job to police such issues, neither do we hold any personal information that would enable anyone else to do so.

Ill admit that I did briefly skim the T&Cs but couldn't find it but it was a huge wall of text, but my understanding is that "delayed live" still counts as live.

Still, I'm just trying to help, wouldn't want anyone to get an unwanted fine, especially this time of year.
  • monkehhh 2 Dec 2012 09:38:32 3,312 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ZuluHero if I watched the Andrew Marr show now on iPlayer, as it was being broadcast, I'd need one. If I watched it later on today, after broadcast, I wouldn't need one. Weird rule, but it's the rule.
  • andy25801 2 Dec 2012 09:39:28 64 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fucking leech.
  • THFourteen 2 Dec 2012 10:15:56 33,393 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You definitely need a tv license to watch iplayer and it or 4od on a computer/tv.

Get one.
  • Kostabi 2 Dec 2012 10:18:38 4,925 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Always thought the rule should be "if you're watching BBC programming within your home you need a license" rather than the current wishy washy 'live' rule.
  • Kostabi 2 Dec 2012 10:19:46 4,925 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    You definitely need a tv license to watch iplayer and it or 4od on a computer/tv.

Get one.
    You actually don't, amazingly.
  • ZuluHero 2 Dec 2012 10:26:08 4,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tbh, whatever the rule, if your budget was 750, you could still get a nice tv for 600 and get a licence. It's better than getting caught out with a £1000 fine, because of some grey area in the law.

Edited by ZuluHero at 10:27:09 02-12-2012
  • Ginger 2 Dec 2012 10:42:06 6,836 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    Fucking parasite

London open taekwondo champion

• Tricky 2 Dec 2012 12:16:30 4,397 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well the rule says he's not in the wrong, but the rule needs changing as far as I'm concerned - bloody ridiculous that you can get away with watching stuff without paying just because you're not watching it live.
  • elstoof 2 Dec 2012 12:34:47 7,277 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Amazingly, the law doesn't care if you think the fee is "worth it", or care that you're such a free spirited creature that you shouldn't lower yourself to follow the masses and pay the extortionate 10 quid a month to watch television.
  • ibenam 2 Dec 2012 12:41:14 1,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Tbh, whatever the rule, if your budget was 750, you could still get a nice tv for 600 and get a licence. It's better than getting caught out with a £1000 fine, because of some grey area in the law.
    Its not a grey area its black and white.

"Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV."

Source:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8/
  • ibenam 2 Dec 2012 12:43:37 1,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I follow the rules like everyone else.

If they change the rules then fair enough ill buy one but i dont see why i should pay the £150 when i dont get £150 value out of it?
  • ibenam 2 Dec 2012 12:46:42 1,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @meme

I started looking into XBMC but got put off as the advice i was getting was that they need a fair bit of tinkering to set up.

Id still be interested if anyone has a ready made solution i can replicate.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 2 Dec 2012 12:51:23 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I always thought the licence was for owning the tv itself, not the media which is broadcast.

I would guess that legislation was created before the explosion of different devices that could deliver broadband media.

Dunno. Pretty angry tbh.
  • Kostabi 2 Dec 2012 12:53:13 4,925 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ibenam wrote:

If they change the rules then fair enough ill buy one but i dont see why i should pay the £150 when i dont get £150 value out of it?
    So just how much BBC content do you watch/listen to over a year? Interested to hear what you'd class as £150 of value.
  • elstoof 2 Dec 2012 12:54:03 7,277 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The page that quote comes from is in reference to devices other than TV sets that you can watch a catch up service on. You want a TV to watch the service on, so you need a licence.

Catchup tv on an iPhone - no licence.

Catchup tv on a smart tv - pay up.

Edited by elstoof at 12:55:48 02-12-2012
  • mrpon 2 Dec 2012 12:56:55 28,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    ibenam wrote:

So just how much BBC content do you watch/listen to over a year? Interested to hear what you'd class as £150 of value.
    How much BBC content does he watch live is a better question.

• ibenam 2 Dec 2012 12:59:22 1,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In a year on the BBC I awatch the Apprentice & The Young Apprentice.

Additionally I may watch the odd documentary say 2 a year.

If you want the other channels/radio see below:

ITV - Zilch.
    Channel 4 - Derren Brown, also a few documentaries say 4 a year.
    Channel 5 - Zilch.
    Radio - Listen to TalkSport.

How much value to you think is above?
  • ibenam 2 Dec 2012 13:03:25 1,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    The page that quote comes from is in reference to devices other than TV sets that you can watch a catch up service on. You want a TV to watch the service on, so you need a licence.

Catchup tv on an iPhone - no licence.

Catchup tv on a smart tv - pay up.
    I dont agree with that however here is another qoute which states the same thing on another page:

"The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD."

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

Edited by ibenam at 13:05:34 02-12-2012
  • ibenam 2 Dec 2012 13:05:03 1,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Kostabi wrote:
    ibenam wrote:

How much BBC content does he watch live is a better question.
    Like I said i dont watch anything live.

1. Aerial is on the other side of the room
    2. Catchup is never uploaded live - usually a delay of a couple of hours. Only exception to this is MOTD however i usually catch the highlights on Youtube.
    3. I dont have the time to watch live. Catchup suits my lifestlye. Im not doing anything illegal.

Edited by ibenam at 13:14:17 02-12-2012
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous