Pikmin 3 Page 18

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• JiveHound 20 Aug 2013 09:17:15 2,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Think I lost close to a thousand in the end. Will play through again at some point and see if I can half that.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Red_Bool 20 Aug 2013 10:07:34 1,173 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Oh I didnt mind too much.  Lost hundreds due to bomb throwing accidents.  Thats also how I roll.
    You sound like my oldest son - the heartless little bastard ;)
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Aug 2013 20:12:13 10,273 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Struggling with the Vehemoth Phosbat, I keep running out of time :-(

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• northlondon01 21 Aug 2013 20:32:58 1 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Red_Bool

You can play off tv with the Wiimote and nunchuk - the gamepad has a built in sensor bar. It works surprisingly well!
  • Red_Bool 21 Aug 2013 20:44:49 1,173 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @northlondon01 - Thanks! That's pretty awesome! I actually tried using the Wiimote with the gamepad, but I thought I still needed to use the normal sensor bar. I kept aiming at the telly, wondering why my pointer wouldn't move! :D
  • Pinky_Floyd 21 Aug 2013 21:46:58 7,384 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    They dont regenerate health so take as many days as you need, assuming you have fruit.  I left the final boss on 25% health then went for another 15 days mopping up the rest of the game.  When I finally went back to him he still had 25% health left :)
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Aug 2013 21:47:51 10,273 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    They dont regenerate health so take as many days as you need, assuming you have fruit.  I left the final boss on 25% health then went for another 15 days mopping up the rest of the game.  When I finally went back to him he still had 25% health left :)
    Awesome, thanks for the tip...

• Razz 21 Aug 2013 23:03:46 60,766 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Dude, please help. I'm at some funky tree with a whole heap of weirdness going on. Is that the final boss? The weirdness? Just asking as I want to get the rest of the fruit before I finish the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Pinky_Floyd 21 Aug 2013 23:40:46 7,384 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Razz.  Yep.  I wasn't a multi tasker throughout so caused me a wee bit of bother.  Not too much though once you get the pattern down. 

Warning:  Final Level Spoilers below!!!!!!!!!

Am using the EG app so not sure how effective the spoiler tags are.  READER BEWARE!

Olimar and 5 winged pikmin will head off on their own with brittany.  You want to keep these guys seperate from your main team.  The wraith wants Olimar.  You basically use your touch screen to send brittany around in circles with the GO HERE command.  This buys you time to use your main team to start opening doors and paths throughout the level.  Initially, Brittanys circles will be fairly small but as you open up the level you can send her on ever bigger journeys which buys your main team more time.  Dont forget that touching the gamepad pauses the action giving you lots of time to plan.

Be aware that as you open up the level you will find a couple of spider webs.  Clear them as you dont want to accidentally send the flying pikmin with Olimar into one. 

The game also announces when Brittany has reached whatever destination you set so you dont need to worry about constantly tracking her.

Take your time, I think it took me 3 days to work through to the exit where the final fight takes place.

For the final boss you dont want to kill him. He will probably kick your ass anyway, accept the losses.  Your main aim is to get him down to about 25% health if you can then go back to the safety of the spaceship and end the day.

You are now free to go back and clear up the rest of the game, albeit you will maybe be low on pikmin but you can quickly get their numbers back up.

When you have finished the rest of the game just go back to the tree and the boss will be exactly as you left him.  You will have full pikmin and he will have low health. Easy fight. Sit back and enjoy a rather nice end sequence. 

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 23:45:18 21-08-2013
  • Razz 21 Aug 2013 23:53:28 60,766 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's awesome man! Thanks for the info. I didn't want to send brittany off on her own as I was worried about undiscovered enemies. In fact, I haven't uncovered all of the map in the tree yet :( But I will try this technique. I really just want to to finish the game now!

• Pinky_Floyd 22 Aug 2013 00:01:39 7,384 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    That's awesome man! Thanks for the info. I didn't want to send brittany off on her own as I was worried about undiscovered enemies. In fact, I haven't uncovered all of the map in the tree yet :( But I will try this technique. I really just want to to finish the game now!
    If you use the method above it gives you a nice easy run to go off and explore knowing that when you are done the boss is sitting at a quarter health.  Makes for a more relaxing end game :)
  • Razz 22 Aug 2013 00:02:26 60,766 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How many pikmin did you lose in the end mate?

• Pinky_Floyd 22 Aug 2013 00:06:05 7,384 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    How many pikmin did you lose in the end mate?
    Around 900 I think.  Mostly to bomb related accidents :)
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Aug 2013 23:09:57 10,273 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Awesome, thanks for the tip...
    Kicked his arse!
    What a game....

• Pinky_Floyd 22 Aug 2013 23:18:18 7,384 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trying to think what I would criticise about Pikmin 3 and there isnt much.   Perhaps the pathfinding on the slower pikmin could be improved.  I definitely need a failsafe mechanism for handling bombs.

The level design, enemies, music and characters are all spot on, as was the difficulty.  Polished almost to perfection.  No other game like it either, apart from its prequels.  It definitely won me over and I never managed to finish either Pikmin 1 or 2.
  • Paulie_P 23 Aug 2013 04:52:50 411 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bought the Wii U to play Earthbound and got this free but wasn't too fussed. When I got round trying it, I was astounded by the graphics.

Came as a total shock, I don't remember being impressed by graphics like this for a long time and that's including the Last of Us and Tomb Raider.

Don't get me wrong, I was impressed by the graphics in those games but there's something about Pikmin that has knocked me back.

Haven't heard much mention of the graphics from anyone else, is it just me?
  • Pinky_Floyd 23 Aug 2013 06:26:42 7,384 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pikmin 3 is indeed drop dead gorgeous.  It employs some great looking transparancy, shimmer, blur and water effects to produce amazing looking environments, it really impresses and the fact it runs at 60 frames per second just adds to the overall lushness.

Too many developers sacrifice frame rate for graphics but there doesnt appear to be any compromise here.  I will be buying Saints Row 4 on PC due to a particularly shoddy frame rate on console.

There is also some incredibly clever use of AA too, I would love to know what method they have used to make the game so free of aliasing yet still manage to hit a 60fps screen update.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 06:28:27 23-08-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Aug 2013 07:21:48 10,273 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yep, I'm impressed with the visuals as well. Barring the ground textures it looks beautiful and so smooth and charming.
    I'm definitely not concerned about how good Wii U games will look now.

• Razz 23 Aug 2013 15:27:10 60,766 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have either of you encountered bugs? I've had a few, also framerate drops. I agree that the game is absolutely gorgeous, especially when you set your telly right. I had mine with the sharpness and saturation set way to high. Looks amazing now.

• Deleted user 23 August 2013 15:33:56
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Pikmin 3 is indeed drop dead gorgeous.  It employs some great looking transparancy, shimmer, blur and water effects to produce amazing looking environments, it really impresses and the fact it runs at 60 frames per second just adds to the overall lushness.

Too many developers sacrifice frame rate for graphics but there doesnt appear to be any compromise here.  I will be buying Saints Row 4 on PC due to a particularly shoddy frame rate on console.

There is also some incredibly clever use of AA too, I would love to know what method they have used to make the game so free of aliasing yet still manage to hit a 60fps screen update.
    I haven't played it, but FXAA is more or less free on a decent GPU, so I would guess that.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Aug 2013 16:05:48 10,273 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Have either of you encountered bugs? I've had a few, also framerate drops. I agree that the game is absolutely gorgeous, especially when you set your telly right. I had mine with the sharpness and saturation set way to high. Looks amazing now.
    I had 4 pikmin temporarily stuck in mid air once, apart from that no bugs so far. I'm only day 14 at my tortoise-like pace though.

• figaro7 26 Aug 2013 23:14:04 1,362 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just have to say that after completing the game and nagging all the fruit it really is one of the most enjoyable experiences ive had in a while. There is nothing quite like pikmin and im glad we had to experience this in full HD glory as well, it looks stunning at times.

Playtime to complete the game was around 12 hours, 45 days, the final area and boss was a doozy! Lost heaps of pikmin in the final area and to my own stupidity and lack of caring at times for the little guys.

Hopefully Nintendo dish out a sequel on the Wii U, pikmin 3 deserves it.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Sep 2013 23:21:12 10,273 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What a game, utterly engrossing!
    I'm just gotten Blue Pikmin and did 2 days with them, the puzzles and use of several characters are hugely enjoyable and the game really is stunning to look at at times.
    I'll be sad when it ends.

• JiveHound 9 Sep 2013 10:18:41 2,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I retrieved all the fruit at the weekend.

Lovely game. I'm going to be sure to have another run soon to see if I can't half my Pikmin deaths.

The missions are great fun also, especially in co-op.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Red_Bool 9 Sep 2013 12:36:33 1,173 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished this last Friday. Really sad it's already over :( I'll also be going back to find the rest of the fruit I missed (got 45/66). The last boss was a massacre - up to that point I lost about 140 Pikmin (over 35 days), final score was 220-something...

What I was really surprised about (disappointed even) is that the white and purple pikmin are not in the story mode (or did I miss something?).

Like JiveHound says though, missions are great fun in co-op. Played some together with the kids - really good :)
  • Bremenacht 9 Sep 2013 12:41:35 17,613 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    figaro7 wrote:
    Hopefully Nintendo dish out a sequel on the Wii U, pikmin 3 deserves it.
    10 year and counting!

Glad the game's generating much joy.
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Sep 2013 21:35:44 10,273 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got 53 of the fruit so far, 56 days in, just tidying up fruit before starting the presumably final area and still loving it, what a game!

• Armoured_Bear 11 Sep 2013 22:27:21 10,273 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I got all the fruit, I'll save the final area for tomorrow night.
    I'm sorry for all the lost Pikmin :-(

• Armoured_Bear 17 Sep 2013 23:05:56 10,273 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FInished it!

What an utter delight of a game, it's not far from perfection, loved it :D

• Pinky_Floyd 17 Sep 2013 23:32:05 7,384 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Glad you enjoyed.  One of the games of the year.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last