Gamepad and TV audio out of sync

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • squarewings 30 Nov 2012 18:22:46 32 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So after getting my WiiU today I noticed that during NintendoLand the audio between the gamepad and the tv is pretty severely out of sync.

This is really noticeable when Monita talks - I'm currently using an LG LED TV (which is pretty bad for input lag - I've got it on 'pc' mode which minimises this) and from this tv going to a surround sound receiver via optical (although only outputting stereo)

Anyone else getting this?

Anything that can be done to fix it?

:)

Lover of quiche, hater of onion. Eternally conflicted.

• Fake_Blood 30 Nov 2012 18:27:56 4,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You is fucked.
    Slow tv and slow amp.
    The only thing that might change something is if you get an HDMI amp, then it's delayed only once.
  • dominalien 30 Nov 2012 18:29:40 6,839 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does the amp come with audio delay settings? This could help.

PSN: DonOsito

• Fake_Blood 30 Nov 2012 18:31:23 4,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The audio is already delayed.
  • dominalien 30 Nov 2012 18:33:52 6,839 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I get it. My amp has negative settings for the audio; this is usually used to compensate for various speakers being at different distances to the listener, but it still may help in this instance.

PSN: DonOsito

• elstoof 30 Nov 2012 18:48:57 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck the amp off and use the TV speakers.
  • Fake_Blood 30 Nov 2012 18:49:52 4,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Negative delay hu?
  • xnaught 3 Dec 2012 07:48:48 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have the exact problem, I need to delay the wii u gamepad rather than the surround sound. Sadly Nintendo have not included this option :(
  • NotSoSlim 3 Dec 2012 08:25:53 3,116 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully in an update. Seems Ninty have loads of wiggle room it seems with the OS

Wish they had taken notes from Sony and MS tho
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Dec 2012 08:34:07 7,830 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    phAge is that you?
  • squarewings 3 Dec 2012 10:07:35 32 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Considering the gamepad has a microphone this could easily be added as a self configuring process too.

Part of me is surprised this wasn't in at launch but then again I think Nintendo really screwed up the audio side of the WiiU what with no Dolby Digital and 5.1 support only over PCM via HDMI. I guess they just couldn't be bothered to pay for the Pro Logic or DD license anymore.

• Deleted user 3 December 2012 10:09:38
    Moon on a stick
  • squarewings 3 Dec 2012 10:19:55 32 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't regard expecting an established digital audio standard (that has existed for more than 10 years) to be included with an almost 300 piece of consumer electronics as 'moon on a stick'

• RobTheBuilder 3 Dec 2012 10:25:45 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How many people actually use these things though?
  • squarewings 3 Dec 2012 10:33:03 32 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Enough people to generate this 7 page thread on NeoGaf it would seem

I think even if it's a small percentage of the userbase that utilise this it's still worth doing.

Popular game audio middleware like FMod are well optimised for surround sound and DD integration so it's a shame that a hardware manufacturer would ignore this.

Also - Nintendo clearly put a lot of work into their Uncompressed Linear PCM 5.1 output so they obviously do care a lot about this, it really sucks they couldn't just license the most popular format.

Edited by squarewings at 10:33:28 03-12-2012

• squarewings 3 Dec 2012 10:33:05 32 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Enough people to generate this 7 page thread on NeoGaf it would seem

I think even if it's a small percentage of the userbase that utilise this it's still worth doing.

Popular game audio middleware like FMod are well optimised for surround sound and DD integration so it's a shame that a hardware manufacturer would ignore this.

Also - Nintendo clearly put a lot of work into their Uncompressed Linear PCM 5.1 output so they obviously do care a lot about this, it really sucks they couldn't just license the most popular format.

Edited by squarewings at 10:33:58 03-12-2012

Edited by squarewings at 10:35:00 03-12-2012

• Deleted user 3 December 2012 10:34:28
    squarewings wrote:
    I wouldn't regard expecting an established digital audio standard (that has existed for more than 10 years) to be included with an almost 300 piece of consumer electronics as 'moon on a stick'
    LPCM is an established standard, get a better amp.
  • nickthegun 3 Dec 2012 10:41:10 58,851 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Moon on a stick
    Yeah, how dare people ask for lag settings, a feature guitar hero has had since the wheel was invented.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Raiko101 3 Dec 2012 11:50:20 6,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Playing Guitar Hero at somebody else's house, who had become used to the lag on their TV. What a ball ache. If you suggest anything, you're immediately a sore loser lol.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• bart64 3 Dec 2012 17:02:41 8 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @nickthegun If you add lag to the sound on the gamepad it will be out of synch with the video on the gamepad. If you add lag to the video, you will be eliminating one of the pad's greatest strengths. Just turn the volume down on the pad if it's bothering you.

It's time for tv manufacturers to step up and give us a lag free mode to compete with the pad, not vice versa. I didn't realize how much delay they were adding until now.
  • nickthegun 3 Dec 2012 17:08:40 58,851 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bart64 wrote:
    Just turn the volume down on the pad if it's bothering you.
    It would be nice to have the option rather than just shrugging your shoulders and admitting defeat.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• bart64 3 Dec 2012 17:50:11 8 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @nickthegun Are you saying you would voluntarily add lag to match the tv screen? Maybe if they can add a quick toggle on the home menu, and you're not playing a touch screen game where it would be very noticable, and it's out of the way for people who don't have lag or don't care or would get confused by the concept. I haven't seen any complaints on miiverse so I think they made the right call. However, now that you made me give it some thought, I can see myself using it for slow paced games.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 16 Dec 2012 13:45:58 7,299 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My setup is pretty decent when it comes to lag even though the consoles goes through a receiver and then to the TV. I configured both to process as little as possible to keep the delay down but the pad will always be faster - which is pretty impressive.

Input lag is very, very low for me, I don't notice it at all but my TV is smart enough to show how long it takes to process the image. I did set up audio delay on my receiver as well to match everything up. Currently it takes roughly 35ms for the image and audio to show up (double checked using Rock Band calibration), so in 30fps games about a single frame of delay, which is more than acceptable. Yet with the Wii U pad it seems so much more noticeable than otherwise.

I really hope a feature like this will be implemented at some point. Turning down the volume on the pad only works for games that output the exact same audio. There is no way to know if you miss anything if you turn down the volume, which is a bit unfortunate.

Personally I don't think that any home setup will ever match the low delay of the Wii U pad so it's even stranger that this option is missing on the console. Then again there's always the chance of games adjusting accordingly, like Rock Band does, even if the console has no option to sync audio/video for you.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next