ZombiU Page 6

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Buenos_Estente 16 Jan 2013 11:54:55 268 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh i knew it was the Germans fault, doesn't make it any less annoying :) You would hope they are trying to find a little work around for this at some point in the future

3ds - 3909-7778-4988 / Xbox live - Buenos E
    PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• Deleted user 16 January 2013 12:06:29
    The work around would be to move their offices out of germany.
  • jellyhead 16 Jan 2013 12:12:20 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, they're a toy company. As long as you can buy it when little hans has gone to bed they don't care. They would have to setup another office somewhere outside Germany for the laws to open up and i can't see them bothering.

I'll probably be retail only on the Wii-U given the eShop prices and i can buy the disk on my way home for 18 games. Job done. Sucks for impulse purchase desires though, they've lost my drunk money when i couldn't buy Ninja Gaiden the other evening. Probably for the best though given the price :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 16 January 2013 12:14:29
    Not even sure why it's rated 18, it's comic book violence at best. Silly game ratings.
  • jellyhead 16 Jan 2013 12:19:45 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's that too. I'll have to look at the ratings on the box.

hmmm, need to sort some food out and get a couple of hours on ZombiU this afternoon while the housemates are out.

• Buenos_Estente 16 Jan 2013 12:33:13 268 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Teenagers under 18 are more likely to be up after 11pm than me these days in my experience!

anyone know what the demo consists of?

PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• jellyhead 16 Jan 2013 12:44:58 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lots of people have said that, Buenos. Bloody kids are up later than adults who have jobs to go to in the morning. Nintendo could expand the hours it's on sale to but are reluctant to.

Their digital prices are a joke anyway, retail all the way for me.

• Buenos_Estente 16 Jan 2013 13:12:52 268 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes I think ive only brought two games digitally and thats because they were cheaper than I could find in shops (The Sotc/Ico collection on PS3) otherwise its the cheaper physcial copies that i can also sell on.. the way things stand that choice seems a no brainer! On wii U even more so with the tied to console malarky

PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• Buenos_Estente 17 Jan 2013 12:44:45 268 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Enjoyed the demo when i got there.. though did die a couple of times, took a while with the cricket bat to get into the swing of things ( Pun intended)

Graphics were quite good but had my often encountered problem with brightness.. constant fiddling of tv settings in my house drives me nuts! Did anyone else find the lighting effects bad?

PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• scoobysi 17 Jan 2013 13:05:23 882 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sure there's an option in the game to change brightness.
  • jellyhead 17 Jan 2013 13:58:55 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, you can change the brightness ingame but it's a survival horror so you're not supposed to have a lovely clear view of the environment and that's what the pad is for. Have a quick scan about or use the torch.

I always bump up the brightness in games as i often find them too dark but ZombiU has been fine for me. I'm shocked to be honest.

• Buenos_Estente 17 Jan 2013 14:12:28 268 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh yes found the brightness option, I always bump it up a few notches, personal preferences there.. Im aware of the survival horror gloom. Just found the lighting effects off putting and not quite right somehow.. glare from torch wasn't quite right wasnt sure it was an intended effect or not.... Guess it was just me! Still wasnt bothering me as much by end of demo.. well pick up the game at some point.

I tend to have this problem more on TV than on monitors I play on so its probably a setting somewhere but the TV has such a dazzling array of them can never get it right.

PSN/NNID - Buenos1980

• jellyhead 17 Jan 2013 14:31:58 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It might be a colour setting like Theatre mode or similar. That reminds me i have to look at the settings on my TV as colours seem a little too bright at the moment.

... and i need to setup the Wii Sensor bar for Nintendoland fun and redeem my nintendo codes as i hear they may expire.

• Armoured_Bear 24 Jan 2013 23:58:19 10,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Been playing this the last 2 nights and enjoying far more than I expected.
    I was gutted to get infected and start again but managed to recover similar equipment levels pretty quickly from someone online :-)

The atmosphere and tension is utterly superb, almost into Buckingham Palace now!

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 2 February 2013 11:36:07
    Great game, really enjoying it so far. However it's the multiplayer that has properly impressed me and instantly sold me on the consoles potential.

Me and my girlfriend had an excellent time last night, some really tight games as the two types of playing really suited our skillsets.

It was the two screen multiplayer thing that initially piqued my interest in Wii U, I'm really happy it turned out well.
  • PrivateFloyd 3 Feb 2013 07:12:52 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was curious to see how much longer I had left so quick scanned over a wiki. I'm right near the end /o\ boooo!

Thoroughly enjoyed this, clocked 15 hours so far. Some standout areas including the nursery.

Not sure whether I'm fussed about a second survival playthrough though, not keen on a perma-death modes, if I died a few hours in I certainly wouldn't re-start the game.

Hopefully get to finish it off tonight, if not tomorrow.

Get me some new games Ninty please!!

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 4 Feb 2013 13:49:29 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In total contrast to my post above I'm going to have a bit of a rant.

The end game is wholly shit, like, awful. The game basically starts putting you in scenarios that if you havnt got some decent items to use you are generally fucked. Yes, I'm looking at the bit where you retrieve the panacea from the computer, chucking 1 reg zombie and 2 armoured zombies at once, closely followed by 2 reg zombies and 1 bomber zombie.

I also kind of realised there is ALOT of padding in the game. The Nursery and possibly the first trip round the palace aside there is nothing else.

when you actually look at the "world" map there are very few places you have been. I actually cannot believe I didnt notice it before.

To my amusement I actually looked at the loading screen where you see the tube line animation and it lists at random places around London, Trafalgar Square, Pimlico, covent garden.....You actually do not visit any of these places.

It's also bothering me now in retrospect the total lack of explanation for the different types of zombies you encounter like the ghosty type ones and the ones that scream at you affecting your vision, not forgetting the suicide zombie either.

There is also alot of recycling of assets. I cannot believe I hadnt noticed it earlier but all of the staircases to the sewer short cuts AND the on foot routes to each location are EXACTLY THE SAME.

I'm kind of torn now.

Edited by PrivateFloyd at 13:49:53 04-02-2013

Edited by PrivateFloyd at 13:51:56 04-02-2013

Goat is hungry.....

• Luckyjim 4 Feb 2013 13:58:00 2,869 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Flawed game. There's a great mechanic in there, and it oozes armosphere, but it desperately needed 6-12 months more dev time.

Would have benefitted immensely from more variety, better graphics, sorting out the bugs and a co-op. Could have been a real survivor horror classic.
  • jellyhead 4 Feb 2013 14:05:33 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just figured the names in the loading screens were there to add atmosphere anyway so i didn't get my panties in a bunch when they weren't in the game. If you look behind the curtains of any game then you'll see it's all smoke-and-mirrors and no actual Wizard in sight.

• Raiko101 4 Feb 2013 15:14:37 6,049 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's short and reuses a ton of assets, but it's better than having the complete opposite, which is unfortunately what happened with Assassin's Creed 3. Too much conent and yet a lack of focus on any of it. Ironically, it too could have done with a longer development time.

I'm basically saying I think Ubi did a better job on ZombiU than Ass Creed 3.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• PrivateFloyd 5 Feb 2013 19:06:13 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone after ZombiU?

25 posted.

Goat is hungry.....

• figaro7 2 Mar 2013 21:28:04 1,362 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well ive just started this and im intrigued by it. Its.. different, i like the use of the gamepad and i also like that i have to use a gun sparringly. Still getting used to it all but ive enjoyed it so far.
  • figaro7 14 Mar 2013 21:09:24 1,362 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished this the other day and its been quite an experience. What do you say about this, it has some good things going for it, a lot of good things. The only downside i could consider is the graphics are average at best. Things like the sound, prepper talking through the pad, the manick use of the inventory system, the scarcity of the weapons, it all works so well in zombiu.

Its the little things, like figuring out codes for doors, which i didnt have a clue how to work out until later in the game, sneaking through vents, or being bombarded by that asshole exploding zombie, they make this game.

It nails the atmosphere, and the locations are varied enough so you dont feel the repetition and the eerie atmosphere never lets up.

Its hard to compare this to anything else on the market, its a survival horror game for sure, it also mixes in some dead rising and maybe a pinch of dark souls.

Curious to what everyone else thought of this?
  • Raiko101 14 Mar 2013 22:38:08 6,049 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My only real complaint with this game was with it's length. I think it took me 14 hours, which is fine. But beyond Survival mode, there's no real incentive to play through it again. At least not right away.

While it lasted though, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very atmospheric and it creates a great sense of vulnerability through the clunky controls. The scariest i've found a game since trying to play the original Resident Evil in the dark, aged 10.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• figaro7 15 Mar 2013 02:24:46 1,362 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was surprised it lasted as long as it did as well, was disappointing that i couldnt carry on with my save file either. Is the multiplayer strictly offline? No online mode?
  • Deleted user 15 March 2013 09:43:29
    No online mode as far as I know. Don't know why. Only reason I can fathom is because it would highlight the gamepad as unnecessary for the RTS or swapping controllers per round would get confusing.

There is a hell of a lot of asset reusal in this, to the point where you think you're going back on yourself sometimes.

A sequel that addresses this and fleshes out the multiplayer would be grand.
  • aeschylus 15 Mar 2013 21:07:30 446 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved the game until the end when they make you run everywhere by shutting off the shortcutsI felt that was petty, and was pure filler
  • INSOMANiAC 28 May 2013 18:50:38 3,828 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im enjoying the game but pissed off when I get a rifle and fire into some fucker several times and he just grabs hold of me and instakills the bloke Ive been playing as for two hours. Twat. Started again twice Im not starting again (again)

I like the graphics and the darkness of it, but Im not that far in yet (on my way to Buckingham palace)

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• DFawkes 28 May 2013 21:19:01 22,581 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As soon as I found a rifle I legged it back to the safe house and stuck it in the safe box. Think I'll end up becoming a serial hoarder! I'll never have enough stuff because when I do get anything I'll be straight back home to store it. It's not like there are zombies and I need them to live... oh.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• INSOMANiAC 28 May 2013 23:28:42 3,828 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Normally that would be my tactic but I was about to get twatted. Believe me, it's like a pea shooter.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Page

of 8 First / Last