Longmire (best show ever)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Tonka 30 Nov 2012 06:21:46 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Where is all the Longmire love?

It's as if Wallander had a bastard son with Justified and reanimated Agata Christie to write the screen plays. More investigation than action. Lot's of character development and drama. Lovely fresh setting. Great acting.

Lou. Diamond. Phillips!

Only one season so far but the second is greenlit and shooting. Based on some series of books so stuff makes sense (I'm looking at you LOST)

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Tonka 30 Nov 2012 10:00:53 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    so...

If you've seen the show you know that ^^^ is a reference

• Gambit1977 30 Nov 2012 10:01:37 9,563 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is this the one with Starbuck in?

Looks like a police procedural version of Justified, without the charisma and quality.
  • Tonka 30 Nov 2012 10:06:17 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That is the one.

It definitely have both the charisma and the quality though. But the "Police procedural ...." bit is spot on. Also, Justified with cowboys instead of hillbillies.

• Gambit1977 30 Nov 2012 10:07:30 9,563 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmm, has it been renewed then?
    Maybe I'll give it a whirl. I need something new. Just got Southland, but not watched it yet!
  • Tonka 30 Nov 2012 10:12:08 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I started watching Longmire to fill the void that Justified left. Now that I've finished Longmire I'm thinking about Southland as well.

But after two solid small town USA series it felt a bit too loud. Will give it a proper go ove christmas I think.

• Tonka 20 May 2013 09:55:18 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    YAYAYAYA

One week until the second season of the best TV show ever premiers!

• President_Weasel 20 May 2013 12:08:41 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not as good as Justified, Tonks. It'll do though, as Justified methadone. The whole thing's a bit formulaic, but "other agent guy out of the Matrix" is excellent as the lead character and makes it eminently watchable. Also Starbuck does a good job of her role.
  • Tonka 20 May 2013 12:28:18 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think season 2 will take it in a similar direction as Justifieds season 02. Go from crime of the week to longer arcs (yes, I'm aware of the looong arc) interspersed with shorter ones (that mostly last for two - three eps).

Then again, Justified had a very strong season this year. So that'll be hard to top.

• Tonka 27 May 2013 13:13:21 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oohohohoh
    Tonight's the night

• TheSaint 27 May 2013 14:06:40 13,629 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watched a couple of the first season on Netflix and it seems alright.
  • Tonka 28 May 2013 21:09:03 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Season two is off to a great start.
    Bit of a pick n mix episode. Lots of reminders and re introductions. I loved it. Cozy as hell

Edited by Tonka at 21:23:10 28-05-2013

• BeheretiK 31 May 2013 21:30:51 858 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just caught up with the first episode from season 2. Really good overall but the fight scene on the mountain was pretty poorly done. Still, minor criticism aside, it was a good start to the new series and hoping it stays as engaging as the first series was.

Really do like the no-gimmick, old-school western approach to the series. It is a slow burn but a good one.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Deleted user 31 May 2013 21:34:12
    I watched the pilot episode and it didn't really grab my attention. :|
  • President_Weasel 31 May 2013 21:59:46 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EpicBoot2daFace wrote:
    I watched the pilot episode and it didn't really grab my attention. :|
    Slow-paced, slow burner. Give it another episode and see how you get on - to be honest, some of the murder-of-the-week stuff isn't all that amazing, but the characters are really solid and pull you in. Give it another shot, and if you don't like it maybe it's just not for you - but Justified took a while to get going too.
  • Deleted user 1 June 2013 00:47:45
    @President_Weasel Thanks. I'll give it a shot.
  • sirtacos 5 Jun 2013 07:25:37 7,205 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice to see Starbuck again. Speaking of which, the deputy kind of looks like Apollo.

Edited by sirtacos at 18:39:29 05-06-2013
  • Tonka 9 Jul 2013 06:41:57 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last episode 05 was really good. Been a bit to spread out this seson. They need to do what Justified did and focus more on the long arcs and less on the crime of the week.

Plus, I watch it mainly like a soap. I care more about the election and all the stuff going on around the characters than the who dunnits.

• President_Weasel 9 Jul 2013 09:39:04 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some of them are very much whodunnits as well, there are some episodes that are like Wyoming Agatha Christie. I'm with you 100% on the watch it for the characters thing.
  • Tonka 9 Jul 2013 09:57:44 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess that's a legacy from the books the series is based on. But there are "only" thirteen books in the series so surely the TV show must have gone through them now.

Hopefully this will mean more focus on long arcs and characters and less on crimes. I do like that there's some actual detective work included (as opposed to say, CSI or Hannibal) but at times I feel that they are wasting too much show time on doing their work...

• President_Weasel 9 Jul 2013 12:58:55 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was thinking the exact same thing (except I'd never bothered to look up the number of books, so I was just going on "surely they've run out of books by now").

I wonder if the stock detective guy from a couple of episodes ago was from a book? The plot of that one was definitely a bit contrived (and also a bit "he's a new character who's been introduced it's probably him" and "he's a good character actor I've seen in a lot of things and it's a relatively small part, it's definitely him".
    That episode was definitely one where I wanted the whodunnit plot to get out of the way so I could get more character stuff (like the thing with Vic and the flowers and the "they've found me", and the stuff with Branch and Longmire)
  • vijay_UK 9 Jul 2013 13:09:32 1,672 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lou Diamond Philips?

Okay now I'm interested, big time. Anyone know where I can watch this or do I have to get the boxset?
  • Deleted user 9 July 2013 14:23:16
    Tonka wrote:
    I guess that's a legacy from the books the series is based on. But there are "only" thirteen books in the series so surely the TV show must have gone through them now.
    Nine books, three short stories, one in the works. I'm writing up something about him and meeting him this weekend.

Haven't seen the series, though. It's on Netflix, so I'll probably give it a go afterwards.
  • President_Weasel 9 Jul 2013 15:18:17 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why not watch a couple of episodes beforehand, thus allowing you to discuss the series with him?
  • TheSaint 9 Jul 2013 16:12:41 13,629 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was interested in the books but for some strange reason they don't seem to be available on Kindle.
  • Deleted user 9 July 2013 17:17:23
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Why not watch a couple of episodes beforehand, thus allowing you to discuss the series with him?
    I'm not interviewing him, just going to a reading he's doing here. I guess there might be a Q&A or something afterwards, but I dunno.
  • Tonka 9 Jul 2013 19:20:27 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ask him if he likes Wallander.

• Tonka 7 Aug 2013 13:38:52 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last few episodes have been fantastic.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next