Slow roasted pulled pork Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• spamdangled 29 Nov 2012 16:58:31 27,492 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    True, but I've not seen anyone mention the use of obscure ingredients. Everything in the recipe I gave is easily and widely available, with a lot of the ingredients being staples in most kitchen cupboards.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 29 November 2012 16:59:52
    Put a lump of pork in a slow cooker, cover it in a bottle of BBQ sauce, leave on low for the working day, done. None of this Jamie Oliver "it's home cooking if your home happens to be next-door to a Sainsburys so you can buy herbs every other minute because you'll constantly run out" shit needed.
  • ronuds 29 Nov 2012 17:01:34 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're going to use all of those ingredients, you don't need meat - because you won't be tasting much of that anyway.

You could put it on a cracker and get the same effect. :p
  • elstoof 29 Nov 2012 17:03:15 8,328 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I couldn't care less about the recipe you gave mate, I'm just saying don't get hung up on stocking up on Schwarzkopf or panic about finding some tamarind paste to make pulled pork.
  • spamdangled 29 Nov 2012 17:03:24 27,492 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    If you're going to use all of those ingredients, you don't need meat - because you won't be tasting much of that anyway.

You could put it on a cracker and get the same effect. :p
    Actually if you use it with chicken in a smoker if anything it makes the chicken taste stronger. Leads to a seriously moist and juicy chicken as well. One of the most common problems of dry rubs and slow cooking is that it often totally dries out the meat.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Jeepers 29 Nov 2012 17:05:06 13,316 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Without 6tbsp coarse sea salt, 6tbsp brown sugar (muscavado is best), 2tbsp smoked paprika, 2tbsp paprika, 2tbsp hot chilli powder (optional, but worth it), 2tbsp cayenne pepper, 2tbsp ground coriander 2tbsp turmeric, 2tbsp dried italian herbs, 1 dollop of self-entitlement, 1tbsp Oregano, 1tsp Allspice, 2tbsp enlish mustard powder, 1tbsp celery salt, 2tbsp garlic granules, 2tbsp ground black pepper and 2tbsp cumin there really is no point.

Edited by Jeepers at 17:07:37 29-11-2012
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:08:10
    The way I've always viewed cooking is - does the taste difference between doing things the easy way outweigh the effort needed to do it the proper way? If yes, do it. If no, why the fuck bother? Like these people who spend ages making their own stuffing even though a box of Paxo ends up more reliable and tasting better, or those cunts who come to a BBQ and bring tenderloin pork marinaded in home-made basil, lemongrass and oriental rosemary mix but cheap slightly-burnt sausages in tesco-value buns covered in ketchup and mustard end up being the tastier food.
  • ronuds 29 Nov 2012 17:08:12 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's true - chicken often needs some zing. I think the free range is a bit more tasty, but I don't get it very often.
  • spamdangled 29 Nov 2012 17:10:51 27,492 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Leaving aside the fact I'm not the one who posted that, why is enjoying cookery "massive self-entitlement"? In fact what makes one hobby any more or less valid than another (within reason obviously)? Everyone has hobbies and things they enjoy doing.

• LeoliansBro 29 Nov 2012 17:12:11 44,966 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slow cooking chicken makes zero sense tbh. The meat isn't suitable for it, course it dries out.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to flash fry some icecream.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• elstoof 29 Nov 2012 17:12:17 8,328 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    One of the most common problems of dry rubs and slow cooking is that it often totally dries out the meat.
    This is bollocks though. High heat causes the protein to contract, squeezing water out. Low heat avoids this. No rub or marinade can change that.
  • spamdangled 29 Nov 2012 17:13:18 27,492 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @meme

people who spend ages making their own stuffing even though a box of Paxo ends up more reliable and tasting better
    Madness. Stuffing from a packet tastes like sawdust with added shit whereas homemade stuffing actually has fucking meat in it and rather importantly predates instant rubbish by several thousand years.

• Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:14:06
    Stuffing from a packet makes superior bacon-wrapped stuffing balls, which is the single best use of stuffing imaginable.

QED.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Nov 2012 17:14:17 44,966 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cro-magnon man was big into sage and onion, was he?

• spamdangled 29 Nov 2012 17:15:12 27,492 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    One of the most common problems of dry rubs and slow cooking is that it often totally dries out the meat.
    This is bollocks though. High heat causes the protein to contract, squeezing water out. Low heat avoids this. No rub or marinade can change that.
    Not if you cook it for too long, which is easy to do with slow cooking.

Plus it can be tricky finding the right temperature for slow cooking.

That's why so many slow cooking recipe use liquids or just water in them.

• Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:15:40
    Surely all "home-made" stuff predates instant by several thousand years anyway? Bizarre thing to say. Can't imagine your average Ancient Greek nipping off down to Asda to pick up a packet of Smash.
  • elstoof 29 Nov 2012 17:16:39 8,328 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Love the taste of paxo. My dad always used to squeeze a sausage into the mix.
  • spamdangled 29 Nov 2012 17:16:46 27,492 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The idea of stuffing not specifically the use of herbs and spices.

Look at culinary history of asia and the middle-east and forms of meat stuffing are often the oldest recipes alongside bread.

• Jeepers 29 Nov 2012 17:18:07 13,316 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Surely all "home-made" stuff predates instant by several thousand years anyway? Bizarre thing to say. Can't imagine your average Ancient Greek nipping off down to Asda to pick up a packet of Smash.
    There's got to be a "This is Sparta" gag there somewhere.
  • elstoof 29 Nov 2012 17:19:30 8,328 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cooking something badly is a problem with any cooking. Have a look at Heston's 24 hour steak if you think long slow cooking dries meat out. If you get a recipe wrong, you get a recipe wrong, simple as that.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:20:03
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @meme

people who spend ages making their own stuffing even though a box of Paxo ends up more reliable and tasting better
    Madness. Stuffing from a packet tastes like sawdust with added shit whereas homemade stuffing actually has fucking meat in it and rather importantly predates instant rubbish by several thousand years.
    Why would it being old be rather important?
  • quadfather 29 Nov 2012 17:20:29 13,426 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    to be honest, the best slow cooked pork i've done is with the pork steaks, and it's a very simple recipe.

Chuck some potatoes in, chuck the meat in, chuck some stock in. (Can marinade the pork as much/not as you like)

Cook it.

Then heat up the leftover juices in a pan on a high heat and serve it over the pork and potatoes.

You will jizz.

I spend hours and hours doing curry's from scratch, but that's because I like to cook curries from scratch whilst getting wazzed on wine and listening to music, but if I want some tasty pork (leave it), then I'll just do the above

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• spamdangled 29 Nov 2012 17:20:38 27,492 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    What I meant was that it's a false argument to suggest that complex recipes or recipes using a lot of ingredients and methods are a modern phenomenon.

It's also a point that the use of a huge and wide variety of techniques and ingredients is rather fundamental to any form of cuisine, particularly when it comes to BBQ. Just because you can make something simple doesn't mean alternatives using many ingredients are invalid.

• LeoliansBro 29 Nov 2012 17:20:40 44,966 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The idea of stuffing not specifically the use of herbs and spices.

Look at culinary history of asia and the middle-east and forms of meat stuffing are often the oldest recipes alongside bread.
    ...and this means chicken is suitable for slow cooking and your rub isn't overblown wanky rubbish?

• Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:22:45
    Aargh. wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @meme

Ancient vikings used to drink gone-off beer and mead and soaked everything in brine and/or pickle for days on end. Which means if you open your beer and leave it for a week and sprinkle bleach on your evening meals it will be the superior experience.

Taste that ancient history.
  • BinaryBob101 29 Nov 2012 17:22:56 24,449 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pac-man-ate-my-wife Yes, definitely get the meat on the bone, the meat will be sooooooo much sweeter.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:23:27
    darkmorgado wrote:
    meme wrote:
    What I meant was that it's a false argument to suggest that complex recipes or recipes using a lot of ingredients and methods are a modern phenomenon.
    I didn't really make such an argument to begin with. Only that pretentious foodies are cunts.
  • spamdangled 29 Nov 2012 17:23:34 27,492 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @meme

Because stuffing didn't simply enter existence with the invention of Paxo, and the use of instant stuffing is hardly an established standard.

• Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:24:23
    Yeah, meat on bone good.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:25:33
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @meme

Because stuffing didn't simply enter existence with the invention of Paxo, and the use of instant stuffing is hardly an established standard.
    Maybe but why should I give a shit when all I'm doing is eating it, not writing a Wikipedia entry about it?
  • Page

of 7 First / Last