Slow roasted pulled pork Page 7

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • Vortex808 16 Dec 2012 19:33:56 7,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, the coke and bbq sauce with 7 hours roasting was nice, but not as nice as my last effort.

It was a bit sickly sweet, even with the addition of bbq sauce and some reggae reggae sauce to try to cut through the coke. Tried it in a bun with red cabbage, but it wasn't quite to my taste.

Live and learn.

Anyone got any suggestions for stuff to go with it? Someone mentioned salsa & guacamole, which sounds like it could work well.
  • elstoof 16 Dec 2012 19:43:16 7,744 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chips.
  • smoothpete 16 Dec 2012 20:13:41 31,574 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When I make a gammon cooked in coke, and reduce the coke after taking the gammon out, then a green salsa goes with it. It needs to be hot with green chili and heavy on the lime. So the pork is salty, the coke reduction is sweet, the chili is hot, and the lime is sour. Lovely.
  • Tonka 16 Dec 2012 20:38:59 20,793 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just made some of wild boar that my dad shot. I like it with friend egg, salsa and sour cream.

Think huevos Ranchos

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• mrpon 16 Dec 2012 20:42:16 29,190 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Close friend you have there.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• mal 16 Dec 2012 20:51:33 22,710 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    It was a bit sickly sweet, even with the addition of bbq sauce and some reggae reggae sauce to try to cut through the coke.
    You know the main ingredient in BBQ sauce and Reggae Reggae (after water) is sugar, right?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Vortex808 16 Dec 2012 21:02:09 7,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, but I had hoped the spicyness of levi's sauce would cut through it more than it did. That was why I added it. Someone had suggested just coke or root beer and some bbq sauce. I didn't add that much of either to try to limit the sugar rush.

As I said, I'll live & learn. I'm sure plenty of folk would've liked it far more than I did. It's only by trying stuff you work out what works for you.
  • Kovacs77 16 Dec 2012 22:35:41 366 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I keep it simple, Pork shoulder, Chilli flakes and Mustard seeds rubbed over it, Bottle of cloudy cider, Couple of splashes of cider vinegar, stick it all in a casserole dish with the lid on tight, cook it on low for ages, pull the meat apart on a big plate and pour the cooking liquid over the top.
    You need to taste the meat through the seasoning otherwise you might as well just do pulled tofu with a shitload of spices chucked on top.
  • Sunno 17 Dec 2012 11:01:54 156 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Just made some of wild boar that my dad shot. I like it with friend egg, salsa and sour cream.

Think huevos Ranchos

friend egg.
  • Shikasama 17 Dec 2012 11:20:46 6,967 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You lot have inspired me - I'm buying a slow cooker and doing Pulled Pork sandwiches dipped in broth for Boxing Day
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Dec 2012 11:51:08 7,372 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm gonna give this a try as well. Do you get crackling when it's done in a slow cooker?
  • Ultrasoundwave 17 Dec 2012 11:57:00 3,337 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Doing some slow pork for a Christmas party me and the mrs are hosting on Saturday.

5 simple steps ill be sticking to :

1. Take off most of the fat (not ALL of it)
    2. Seasoning : Salt, Pepper, Onion Salt, Garlic, Paprika, Thyme
    3. Half a bottle of Stella Cidré in with it
    4. Cook on 'low' setting on slow cooker
    5. Minimum 6 hours

Then the best bit - pull all the pork with two forks, pile it all into a griddle, pour some of the Cidré/Pork juices from the slow cooker on top then add a little bit of my home-made meat sauce :

- Butter
    - Soy
    - Onion Salt
    - BBQ sauce
    - Paprika

Mix together in a small bowl and heat through for 2 minutes. Mix it in with the pork, cook on the griddle for approx. 5 minutes.

Job. Fucking. Done.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 11:59:33 17-12-2012

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Shikasama 17 Dec 2012 12:01:50 6,967 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Might steel that there recipe Ultra
  • Vortex808 17 Dec 2012 12:23:08 7,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    I'm gonna give this a try as well. Do you get crackling when it's done in a slow cooker?
    I'm not sure if it would work in a slow cooker. I think it has to be roasted on a higher heat to get crackling doesn't it?

So saying, I am certainly no expert on crackling production. The first time I tried pulled pork, I tried to get crackling on the tenderloin I had. I roasted it in the oven that time at high heat to produce crackling after the pouring boiling water on the skin, rubbing olive oil in and salting it.

It 'sort of' worked, but my general aversion to adding salt to anything meant I had skimped with the salting to the extent that the crackling wasn't quite right. /o\

Edited by Vortex808 at 12:23:21 17-12-2012
  • Sunno 17 Dec 2012 12:44:38 156 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You won't get crackling in the slow cooker. In the past i've cut the fat off first in one big bit and then put that in the oven with olive oil and salt to get the crackling. Worked pretty well!
  • Ultrasoundwave 17 Dec 2012 13:23:32 3,337 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @shikasama

You wont regret it mate, its tried and tested. Took me a few attempts but if you do it the way i've got it written above, it will be perfect.

A personal serving suggestion is to stick some in a crusty white baguette with some black olives and a thin layer of Brie on top.

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 17 Dec 2012 14:48:42 7,012 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PearOfAnguish

I cooked the shoulder joint I had for 12 hours on very low, then took off the fat and skin layer in one piece which I put to one side, pulled the pork, added more seasonings and returned it to the oven.

Then I oiled and salted the skin and cooked it in a very high oven for about 40 mins to crisp into crackling.
  • quadfather 17 Dec 2012 14:56:23 12,879 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    @shikasama

You wont regret it mate, its tried and tested. Took me a few attempts but if you do it the way i've got it written above, it will be perfect.

A personal serving suggestion is to stick some in a crusty white baguette with some black olives and a thin layer of Brie on top.
    Might give it a go too. Last one I did worked a treat but your recipe sounds bang on

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Lotos8ter 17 Dec 2012 15:08:30 2,361 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going to have a go at Ultra's recipe too over Chrimbo. I made it before with full fat Coca Cola and wasn't over impressed.
    I might sub the cidre for Strongbow though

/tight

Fiat Lux

• Ultrasoundwave 17 Dec 2012 15:12:32 3,337 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All you fuckers stealing my recipe - knew i should have gone on Dragons Den with it, i could have got a wad of cash off that old man whose trying to look like Megan Fox...

• PearOfAnguish 17 Dec 2012 16:34:18 7,372 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Pac-man-ate-my-wife

Cheers, sounds good. Gonna give it a go.

Anyone tried that Jack Daniels BBQ sauce on pulled pork? Any cop?
  • Shikasama 24 Dec 2012 20:44:52 6,967 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Success!

Used Ultrasoundwaves post as a guide and some standard shoulder joint from the supermarket for a first go with inexpensive ingredients and it was absolutely beautiful.
  • TarickStonefire 25 Dec 2012 13:35:05 3,240 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There's been a lot of pulled meat on Sunday Brunch on Channel 4. Rimmer's done pulled pork, vindaloo pulled lamb, and mexican pulled turkey so far. Tried all of them, all delicious.

But of course, it's hard to make pulled meat anything other than delicious! :D

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• spamdangled 27 Dec 2012 02:49:43 27,413 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Hairy Bikers Mississippi adventure recipe for creole pulled pork is delish:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/652180

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next