Intel take the hammer to self-built PCs

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 02:13:27
    Back to the days of soldered CPUs

With AMD looking likely to fall apart soon, seems all over for the upgrade enthusiasts.
  • B0rked_Gamer 29 Nov 2012 02:21:42 2,563 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AMD to rise from the ashes and find the enthusiast market there for the taking. It could happen. I would certainly like it to happen.
  • kickerconspiracy 29 Nov 2012 02:35:50 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find this upsetting.
  • mal 29 Nov 2012 02:40:45 22,452 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting they say that the OCing entusiasts are now focussing on ARM boards. Those would be ARM boards where the CPU is soldered directly on, I take it? I've not seen an ARM chip in non-surface mount configuration since the late nineties, I think (although to be fair, I don't know that ARM chips are put in BGA packages yet, so hand resoldering may be possible)

As for self-build, is this such a big deal? I don't follow PC hardware so close, but it seems to me that every time I look they're using a different socket. Are self-builders (other than those who refresh every six months to stay at the cutting edge) often able to simply swap out a CPU and not buy a new mobo to go with it?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• El_MUERkO 29 Nov 2012 03:08:02 16,973 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AMD are fucked anyway meaning x86 will become an Intel monopoly, que a gagillion anti-trust lawsuits and a move away from x86, good, they can have it, it's shit.

As Microsoft move Windows to a closed/semi-closed system like Apple and Linux takes over desktops ARM, Samsung and Nvidia will branch out.

There are two many companies involved, someone will cater to the desktop PC crowd because with the likes of Steam, Origin and Desura constantly increasing player numbers the Desktop is viable with or without x86, Intel, AMD or Microsoft.
  • Khanivor 29 Nov 2012 03:11:34 40,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting...

To my mind it would seem like shooting yourself in the foot for Intel. Letting short term greed trump long term revenue. Would the current enthusiast market continue to spend the same sums of money if there was no point in being an enthusiast anymore? I suppose, maybe there is a reasonable corporate reason to throttle back development by eliminating the need to cater to the part of the market which drives it. Well, outside of the professional sphere.
  • Andee 29 Nov 2012 03:44:16 681 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wondering if that article is a bit over dramatic. It's surely just the mainstream platform that would make the switch though? Meaning the 'Enthusiast' platform would actually have some relevance in the future, which I guess is Intel's aim.
  • Khanivor 29 Nov 2012 03:48:35 40,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye, the article does come across as a bit 'enthusiastic'.

End of the world! No more sockets! Till the next chipset after the end of the world, which will probably have sockets. But maybe not for ever! WAAAAA!!!
  • Sharzam 29 Nov 2012 07:29:36 2,832 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't see it happening, while yes Intel would love a monopoly they wouldn't risk there current market share to get it.

If the did completely remove sockets they are basically handing the desktop market to AMD. Because numerous OEM company's would go to them, and that's before think of other areas such as enterprise. However I can see a shift where they changed there focus eg competition with arm.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Whizzo 29 Nov 2012 08:11:42 43,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Aye, the article does come across as a bit 'enthusiastic'.
    Well it is Mr Hyperbole himself, Charlie Demerjian.

Doesn't make any sense to me, not as a PC enthusiast nor an IT "professional". Most of the PCs we have fail at work are down to motherboard faults, HP/Dell/whoever usually just send out a bare board and we swap everything out ourselves (something I'm sure is quite common), can't do that with a soldered on chip.

Also I can't see motherboard manufacturers being too happy to see their business pretty much disappear.

Perhaps this is a shot in the arm that AMD needs?

This space left intentionally blank.

• THFourteen 29 Nov 2012 08:18:57 33,175 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doesn't bother me too much. I can't remember ever having bought a CPU to put in the same motherboard that I already owned. Usually the gains aren't worth the extra cost.

in fact the last time I did something like that was when I put an "overdrive" bit on my 486 SX
  • Widge Moderator 29 Nov 2012 09:21:45 13,453 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Doesn't bother me too much. I can't remember ever having bought a CPU to put in the same motherboard that I already owned. Usually the gains aren't worth the extra cost.

in fact the last time I did something like that was when I put an "overdrive" bit on my 486 SX
    Even with AMD doing their inbetweeny "+" socket types, I've always ended up going the whole hog and getting a new mobo & CPU at the same time.

The only thing that would concern me is being able to get my own cooler onto the thing.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• nickthegun 29 Nov 2012 09:40:20 59,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you strip out the hyperbole, the article could well be renamed 'Intel follows the market'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 29 Nov 2012 09:47:19 27,695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of neck beards suddenly cried out in terror...

Hush you ponce

• graysonavich 29 Nov 2012 09:52:48 7,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The noise of people not understanding the article?
  • PearOfAnguish 29 Nov 2012 09:54:37 7,202 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was almost a bit worried until I saw the byline.

If Intel was silly enough to do this they'd simply be handing the market over to AMD. Or whoever it is takes over AMD's business when they go tits-up.
  • sport 29 Nov 2012 09:56:25 12,690 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's the equivalent of Ford releasing a new Fiesta with the unremovable tyres. Wanna fix a puncture? Fuck you, buy a new Fiesta!
  • Moot_Point 29 Nov 2012 10:13:42 3,982 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @sport Jesus! Don't give them idea's! :p

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• THFourteen 29 Nov 2012 10:17:42 33,175 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No it's not, it's more like having an unremovable engine.

Tyres would be the equivalent of the RAM or something
  • graysonavich 29 Nov 2012 10:20:55 7,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I'm forever removing and replacing my car engines.
  • nickthegun 29 Nov 2012 10:22:47 59,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    I was almost a bit worried until I saw the byline.

If Intel was silly enough to do this they'd simply be handing the market over to AMD. Or whoever it is takes over AMD's business when they go tits-up.
    I think you vastly overestimate the number of people who actually give a shit about this as compared to the rest of Intels market who do not.

He totally called it

• Maturin 29 Nov 2012 10:26:07 2,957 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think this is a none story. I've built plenty of computers and always changed CPU and motherboard at the same time.
  • Widge Moderator 29 Nov 2012 10:27:13 13,453 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Or is it more like the seat covers needing to be replaced in a car but always having to buy a full seat every time?

Thursday is analogy day on Eurogamer.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• nickthegun 29 Nov 2012 10:37:48 59,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its actually quite like the chrysler warranty model if you want to get car like.

If a head gasket goes, they dont rebuild the engine, they just remove the bolts and drop a new block in there.

He totally called it

• dsmx 29 Nov 2012 22:56:04 7,589 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It could just mean intel are planning to sell cheap motherboards with intel processors soldered straight onto them to try and lower costs and compete better with AMD at the lower end of the market.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Dirtbox 29 Nov 2012 23:07:34 77,686 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bit of a bizarre move, considering intel makes 99% of it's income from CPU upgrades and the desktop in general. I can't see the motherboard manufacturers sitting still for this either, a lot of people are going to go out of business if they do it.

Edited by Dirtbox at 23:10:39 29-11-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Bremenacht 29 Nov 2012 23:40:03 17,778 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    I think this is a none story. I've built plenty of computers and always changed CPU and motherboard at the same time.
    I think this is the thinking. You're basically losing the socket. You'll probably even have the same degree of choice as you have now as to the choice of CPU and MB feature-set. Systems on Chips (SoCs) are where the industry is already going, so you can understand why they're seeking to make that easier/cheaper.

It's crap for enthusiasts but most OEMs and many system-builders won't really care - they'll save money if anything. The danger (as the article heavily suggests) is that Intel will seek to own the MB market and everything on it. We don't know that the OEMS (Asus, VIA etc) won't be allowed to continue stamping their own boards.

I like Charlie, btw. I think he's great.

Hopefully, vizzini will be along shortly to inform us how many pins there was in socket 7 or something like that.
  • Bremenacht 29 Nov 2012 23:46:19 17,778 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Bit of a bizarre move, considering intel makes 99% of it's income from CPU upgrades and the desktop in general. I can't see the motherboard manufacturers sitting still for this either, a lot of people are going to go out of business if they do it.
    If they're still allowed to make MBs (and we don't really know that they won't) they'll stand to make even more money out it.

I suppose Intel could play dirty tricks again and restrict CPU supply to OEMs who don't exclusively buy Intel CPUs, but you'd like to think they won't do that again. They paid quite a high price for trying to choke off AMD. I imagine regulators wouldn't be too happy about Intel using its position to tie off an entire market for itself. It'd clearly be anti-competitive behaviour.
  • Khanivor 29 Nov 2012 23:53:48 40,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As said above, Intel will essentially hand over a monopoly on an entire market to AMD. Not to mention make that market a lot more viable for any other chip manufacturers.
  • Dirtbox 30 Nov 2012 00:35:45 77,686 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    If they're still allowed to make MBs (and we don't really know that they won't) they'll stand to make even more money out it.

I suppose Intel could play dirty tricks again and restrict CPU supply to OEMs who don't exclusively buy Intel CPUs, but you'd like to think they won't do that again. They paid quite a high price for trying to choke off AMD. I imagine regulators wouldn't be too happy about Intel using its position to tie off an entire market for itself. It'd clearly be anti-competitive behaviour.
    Antitrust laws pretty much crush all of that.

Edited by Dirtbox at 00:36:27 30-11-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous