New blog aimed at older gamers Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • superdelphinus 23 Jan 2013 19:57:47 8,126 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read the one on game difficulty. I didn't finish it, but for a good reason - I went off on a daydream about "how to be a complete bastard" on the Amstrad CPC 464. Good stuff
  • ZX_Spectre 27 Feb 2013 14:24:55 20 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    New content on the blog today - all about gaming plot twists.

Professional, Gamer.

Edited by ZX_Spectre at 14:42:42 27-02-2013

Professional, Gamer.
    The blog of an ageing gamer

• ZX_Spectre 31 Mar 2013 22:11:08 20 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    New post up tonight - intended as the first in a series of three or four. 'What do gamers want'?

Professional, Gamer.

Edited by ZX_Spectre at 22:12:27 31-03-2013

Edited by ZX_Spectre at 23:31:07 31-03-2013

Professional, Gamer.

• lucky_jim 31 Mar 2013 23:06:50 5,350 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZX_Spectre wrote:
    New post up tonight - intended as the first in a series of three or four. 'What do gamers want'?

Professional, Gamer.
    I'm pretty sure you're missing the "http://" bit from the address, and this forum likes to have it. If I'm right, your link should work in the quoted text above.

Edit: Yep.

Edited by lucky_jim at 23:07:57 31-03-2013
  • ZX_Spectre 31 Mar 2013 23:33:23 20 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers for that - was unexpected. Fixed now!

Professional, Gamer (working link!)

Professional, Gamer.

• Dgzter 1 Apr 2013 00:00:15 225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for this, I bookmarked it. You've got about eight years on me, but my brother is your age (with two young kids as well) and I fondly remember watching over his shoulder as he played the Elites and Ultimas of yesteryear. Strangely it was I that turned into the bigger gamer in the end :)

Look forward to your next instalments.
  • DrStrangelove 1 Apr 2013 07:23:25 4,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I remember what a revelation Half-Life was. It had a story, and a fucking good one. I remember the fuzz they made about the plot being written by an actual sci-fi writer.

What still separates HL from the rest is that there are no cut-scenes in the narrow sense. If you didn't care about what people were telling you, you could jump around and look wherever you wanted to shorten the time of wait. Or in HL2, making a mess of the lab inventory.

I think cutscenes that completely rob you of any control are one of the major things wrong with modern games.

That said though, Half-Life hasn't aged quite as well as its contemporaries Quake 2 or Unreal. It introduced linearity that wasn't usual before. As a retro gamer, I enjoy Doom and Quake, but HL not quite as much. The former have something that's missing in modern action games, namely that you can explore complex levels and have to find your way to the exit. Half-Life, for all that's good about it, sparked on-rails shooting and scripted sequences.

Doom had you find your way through two dimensions, and Quake improved on that by making you navigate three dimensions. I can't forgive Half-Life for paving the way to one-dimensional corridor shooters.
  • swede 1 Apr 2013 10:12:46 400 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Read the latest article. I have bookmarked to catch up on your blog in my own time. Nice read mate!
  • ZX_Spectre 17 May 2013 20:08:06 20 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Better late than never, here's part 2 of 'What do Gamers want?'

(My posting schedule has gone a bit pear-shaped thanks to work!)

Professional, Gamer.

Edited by ZX_Spectre at 20:09:00 17-05-2013

Edited by ZX_Spectre at 20:09:37 17-05-2013

Professional, Gamer.

• ZX_Spectre 26 Jun 2013 17:24:37 20 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Updated today - talking about Christopher Brookmyre's new gaming-themed novel.

Professional, Gamer.

Professional, Gamer.

• ZX_Spectre 2 Oct 2013 11:39:14 20 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Long hiatus over the summer (busy time at work) but back in business again. Some thoughts on games coming over all emotional.

Professional, Gamer.

Professional, Gamer.

• ZX_Spectre 31 Mar 2014 22:24:43 20 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finally started blogging again. Bloody work keeps getting in the way! A piece about FPS gaming - I've moved on, but it hasn't.

Professional, Gamer.

Edited by ZX_Spectre at 22:25:57 31-03-2014

Professional, Gamer.

• zoolophage 2 Apr 2014 12:14:10 2,255 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not a fan of fps games myself but perhaps it's a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. It's also difficult to make evolutionary leaps in most genres so perhaps it'll bumble along like usual before finally discovering the next feature that truly improves it.

Win great prizes for pc, xbox, nintendo and psn in the 2015 EG Charity Raffle: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/289501

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next