Damned System Updates!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • zeldaman666 28 Nov 2012 12:22:18 2 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is anyone else becoming more and more annoyed with the almost constant updates we have to download for our consoles and games? It seems to me that companies are relying on updates instead of a robust testing policy!

In my view if you have to deploy an update to a console/game within the first week of release then it has been released too soon!

I don't mind updates in order to address issues that could easily be missed. For instance, if a game crashes because you wander into an almost inaccessible area then proceed to crouch, jump, change weapons and shoot at the same time, you can kind of forgive them. But if you have to deploy an update because a WHOLE game stops working after 30 hours of play, then you have to ask if any testing was done at all, or did they just do what games shops do when accepting pre-owned games: put it in the machine, turn it on and see if the menu comes up?

It's even worse if you buy a game that advertises a multiplayer mode, only for you to have to sit through a 2 hour download before you can play it because they couldn't be bothered to add even one of the maps to the actual game before release!
  • kinky_mong 28 Nov 2012 12:26:28 10,268 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And what about those airline peanuts?!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Rusty_M 28 Nov 2012 12:46:26 4,676 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doesn't usually bother me much. Uplay and GFWL can be a bitch to update, but most updates are done within a minute or two.

Games have a lot more code than they used to thus a lot more things can go wrong. I welcome the fact that issues can often be fixed promptly and that a patch is usually less of a big deal these days than it used to be.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Mr-Brett 28 Nov 2012 13:25:12 12,787 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like my PS3 I rarely boot up Origin so when I do I'm almost always treated to an update.
    Also that Hospital food eh?

Portable view - Never forget.

• the_dudefather 28 Nov 2012 13:30:02 9,288 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This thread's going to go nuts on friday if the Wii-U has to do the same update as the US version

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Syrette 28 Nov 2012 13:37:51 43,432 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not read the whole of OP's post, but for the millionth time don't assume that QA did a bad job because your game has bugs in it. QA may well have found your issue, but it doesn't mean the publisher is willing to spend time and resources on fixing it especially if they can just do it a later date via a patch/TU.

• Stranded87 28 Nov 2012 13:41:36 890 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't mind most game updates, fixing bugs is good and they're normally quite small. I do hate the endless stream of large system updates Sony send out to PS3 though, that combined with being forced to install most games on it makes it a right pain to actually play anything much of the time.
  • zeldaman666 28 Nov 2012 13:57:07 2 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I suppose it's only really a problem in certain areas. I live in a rural area so my bandwidth stinks worse than a 2 month old cadaver. So my updates can sometimes take a ridiculous length of time. And you're right Syrette I did word that wrong to sound like having a go at QA's. It just seems to me if I'm going to buy something then I want to play it as soon as turn it on, not have to wait for updates first. And the policy of waiting for update to fix major issues seems flawed to me. But maybe it's just my opinion.
  • santashi 28 Nov 2012 14:01:55 5,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think in some cases the patch works out quicker than resubmitting the revised game and getting it cleared again? Or is that just for certain digital releases?

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• ronuds 28 Nov 2012 14:03:53 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Not read the whole of OP's post, but for the millionth time don't assume that QA did a bad job because your game has bugs in it. QA may well have found your issue, but it doesn't mean the publisher is willing to spend time and resources on fixing it especially if they can just do it a later date via a patch/TU.
    Stealth: "I work in QA" comment...
  • cubbymoore 28 Nov 2012 14:05:11 36,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did enjoy having to download 8-9 separate updates in one go for Uncharted 2. Oh and Heavy Rain was ridiculous. Both of those were several hours.
  • oceanmotion 28 Nov 2012 14:10:01 15,917 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I suppose we can hope they have a new strategy next gen that isn't so frequent and much quicker. 360 updates are pretty instant and painless outside of dashboard updates.
  • King_Edward 28 Nov 2012 14:14:59 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I suppose we can hope they have a new strategy next gen that isn't so frequent and much quicker. 360 updates are pretty instant and painless outside of dashboard updates.
    How does Vita handle updates?
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 14:19:39
    PSN has been the worst offender for me. Massive day one patch for GT5 that took over a day to download was the lowlight. I tried to fire up the store for a quick look the other night and had to install three other patches before one of them caused the console to hard lock.

The 360 has become almost unusable unless you're just putting a disc in and playing. Every system update has taken it further away from what I want in a game console and made it more and more like an ancient PC with the wrong OS on it.
  • Blerk Moderator 28 Nov 2012 14:58:29 48,225 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My biggest worry with the 'fuck it/release it/patch it later' approach is what happens in the future when all these services are dead. If you decide you want to dig your old machine out of the loft and play a few classics you're likely going to be restricted to the half-finished wonky-as-buggery versions.
  • BritishBlue1 28 Nov 2012 15:36:02 132 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Boab

I miss the Blades interface we had when the 360 was first released, never been beaten, before or since. :,(
  • bad09 28 Nov 2012 16:59:05 5,893 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This sort of thing is the future now the industry can use the net to finish games after rushing out unfinished games and manufacturers can tinker with machines. Kinda depressing gamers actually need the net as another utility now even if you don't do any online gaming, but the genie is truly out of the bottle sadly.

System or game updates are not much of a problem to be fair though...unless it's being done on PS3. 360 rapid, PC in the background mostly and also rapid, hell Steam games update without you even touching them if you want.

I don't care if some Sony fans get upset PS3 is without doubt the most annoying pain in the arse console ever created. I don't even game on the thing myself anymore but I still HATE having to turn the stupid thing on even just for netflix, which I did the other day actually and surprise another update. Every bloody time some sort of update download and install has to be endured, last time I tried gaming on it was a while back with Bioshock 2. After Firmware, game install, game updates I lost the will to live let alone play it :) Christ what a terrible machine.

Edited by bad09 at 17:01:17 28-11-2012
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 17:02:10
    Funny this thread popped up. Just fired up the 360 and there was an update that took about 20 minutes, was it installing adverts or something?
  • King_Edward 28 Nov 2012 17:03:18 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    @Boab

I miss the Blades interface we had when the 360 was first released, never been beaten, before or since. :,(
    And they were shit to begin with.
  • Lamb 28 Nov 2012 18:03:51 474 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes system updates are one of the reasons why I am not considering buying another console because what is it you do exactly during a system update? On my PC at least for windows I can surf the web and then endure a reboot.

Also consoles are not set for speedy upgrades. Backwards software compatibility is non existent, no a la carte accounts like Steam that work across all PCs, and much more pricey games.

To be fair the positives for consoles are its still much cheaper than a PC and playing on a couch is far more comfortable.
  • NathanGun 28 Nov 2012 18:38:43 7 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Back in the 80s we had tape and disk loading, in the 80/90s we had to give cartridges blow jobs and hope the system would no crash mid game (no saves) remeber some of these games were around the 50+ price range. In the late 90s we had to endure long loading from CDs - took some getting use to after using instantly loading cartridges.

At present (putting aside the issue of RROD and YLOD) us gamers take on the burden of an update usually designed to make the game run better. In some ways we are quite lucky to be in an age where we can download free demos with easy, resort to emulation and pickup pre-owned for under a tenner.

Gaming has come a long way in the last 20 years which is more than can be said for airline peanuts.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 18:46:22
    King_Edward wrote:
    BritishBlue1 wrote:
    @Boab

And they were shit to begin with.
    But at least they worked. I could find whatever I needed without either being subject to abysmal loading times, massively loud adverts if I accidentally focus them and without barking at kinect like a fucking seal.
  • Dante_Cubit 28 Nov 2012 18:55:16 1,926 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can go a week or two at a time without turning a 360 on so updates are a given. They do seem to be taking longer and longer though and I'm certain that it isn't due to my connection. Increased features and complexity obviously lead to the necessity for more updates but it does remind you ever more of PC gaming.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 22:12:08
    Blades were so pap! Can't believe people remember them fondly.

Completely agree with the software update situation. Last night I needed to download the Xbox one and it kept crashing, then restarting. All I wanted to do was watch a video. Ended up leaving the console on all night to do it's thing. Worst part is that the update didn't add anything noticeable that might soften the blow.
  • FuzzyDuck 29 Nov 2012 05:41:08 4,119 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NathanGun wrote:
    Gaming has come a long way in the last 20 years which is more than can be said for airline peanuts.
    Pfft, airline peanuts are dead to me these days, wasabi peas are the new king of snackage.
  • krushing 29 Nov 2012 17:00:10 777 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just out of curiosity are PSN & XBLA excruciatingly slow in the UK? Lots of people seem to mention that the updates take "hours" or even "all night". Just wondering because at least PSN has always been pretty quick for me, but I'm in Finland so it's probably different servers. Usually big updates take about 15 minutes max; I just bought Far Cry 3 off PSN and the 6,3Gb download estimated 36 minutes, which is less than what a detour to a game shop coming from work to home would've taken.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next