Destiny - Bungie's next Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Rich72 18 Feb 2013 14:40:44 530 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The most important thing in all of this is surely the shooting mechanics. If they can retain something close to the fluidity of Halo but expand the physical boundaries of the game then count me in. If, on the other hand, it's the twitchy mess of DUST then really, what's the point?

It was the same with all the console games I've played which have tried to push the player limit and scale, even BF3 was a struggle for me at times which is why I tried to hone my skills as a pilot (with mixed results). I often found the actual art of shooting a mixed bag but that may be my total dislike of the dualshock controller. In Halo, a few laggy games aside, I know it is my own skill, or lack of, that gets me kills or gets me murdered.

GT: Rich 72 PSN: LordVelvet

• Progguitarist 18 Feb 2013 14:44:53 10,316 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dust is anything but twitchy...it takes a huge amount of bullets to get a kill. It's also slow as fuck.
  • Triggerhappytel 18 Feb 2013 14:47:46 2,664 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It won't be anything like Dust; that much is certain. I'm sure the mechanics of it will be excellent - there's too much at stake for both Bungie and Acti for it to fail at the fundamentals.
  • Rich72 18 Feb 2013 14:49:58 530 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i didn't mean 'twitch shooter'... I was refering to trying to hit players teleporting all over the place. shoot from 10 feet, fine... sniping; forget it.

I worry about the connectivity of it all. Even in Spartan Ops it is a mixed bag from silky to unplayable. I would have thought that this will be a massively expanded version of that.

GT: Rich 72 PSN: LordVelvet

• w00t 18 Feb 2013 14:50:25 10,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm excited by this. The idea of digging through the remnants of humanity's golden age, spread over the solar system is very attractive to me.

Can't get enough of the archaeologist type bits in games - one of the reason I loved Morrowind was digging up the truth about the Dwemer.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• shamblemonkee 18 Feb 2013 14:59:08 14,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rich72 well that's one of the key things that remains unsanswered so far isn't it? whther it is truly massive like Planetside - or is instanced in a WoW dungeon style for 4 or 5 friends to play together?

i'd much prefer the latter as you can retain so many more niceties like hit boxes, graphical fidelity, tight - co-ordination, more set pieces...
  • King_Edward 18 Feb 2013 15:02:15 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    I'm excited by this. The idea of digging through the remnants of humanity's golden age, spread over the solar system is very attractive to me.
    Call me cynical but I don't expect the lore and back story to be realised as anything more than some pretty environments to shoot people in.
  • ecureuil 18 Feb 2013 15:02:49 76,011 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The article is intriguing. The impression I'm getting is that it'll be exactly the sort of thing I'll love.
  • fletch7100 18 Feb 2013 15:16:18 6,160 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So a WoW/Borderlands/Halo mash up yup I'm interested

Interested to see how many players in each public area
  • w00t 18 Feb 2013 15:31:39 10,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    w00t wrote:
    Call me cynical but I don't expect the lore and back story to be realised as anything more than some pretty environments to shoot people in.
    CYNICAL

Bungie did a lot of work on the Halo lore - hopefully they've learned some lessons about how to get that info to the players. Bloody Terminals.

• LeoliansBro 18 Feb 2013 15:33:38 41,863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's an awful lot to this that sounds like my ideal game.

There's also an awful lot that sounds like the Star Wars MMO.

Meh, I believe in Bungie.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• neilqpr 18 Feb 2013 15:35:45 2,797 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DCUO showed MMOs are possible on consoles, albeit a tad watered down. A Bungie FPS along similar lines to DCUO would make me very happy, especially if the co-op count went up to six.

Actually is DCUO still going? Really enjoyed the first few months of that when there was a large player base.
  • RedSparrows 18 Feb 2013 15:43:22 20,753 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A co-op shooter with, say, 5-6 people in a party, with MMO elements and gameplay that's as fluid as Halo = I'd be very interested.

A co-op shooter with all of the above but CoD gunplay (HAI BORDERLANDS) = not so interesting.
  • Triggerhappytel 18 Feb 2013 15:44:04 2,664 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    w00t wrote:
    And probably loads of Expanded Universe bollocks that will have no actual bearing on the game itself.
  • Progguitarist 18 Feb 2013 15:50:14 10,316 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @neilqpr Yeah, there are probably more playing it now than we were.
  • neilqpr 18 Feb 2013 15:54:53 2,797 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Progguitarist Really? Maybe I should boot it up for old times sake.

Edited by neilqpr at 15:55:15 18-02-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Feb 2013 16:26:37 38,899 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    There's an awful lot to this that sounds like my ideal game.

There's also an awful lot that sounds like the Star Wars MMO.

Meh, I believe in Bungie.
    This.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• riceNpea 18 Feb 2013 16:30:37 592 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    DCUO showed MMOs are possible on consoles, albeit a tad watered down. A Bungie FPS along similar lines to DCUO would make me very happy, especially if the co-op count went up to six.

Actually is DCUO still going? Really enjoyed the first few months of that when there was a large player base.

it is still going and that large fan base you speak of evaporated after the first free month ended. i was there and my glorious Tank 'Lesboto' was the second best equipped on the server at the time.

i still dine out on that at posh London restaurants
  • Madder-Max 21 Feb 2013 15:37:55 11,566 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm on the cynical side of this. Gold sub AND a game sub PLUS micro transactions, just to get shot lots due to shit level design.

/sarcasm on

Sounds fucking marvellous. Where do I sign up?

/sarcasm off

Point of interest that uit will be on xbox AND nextbox, so........connectivity between generations of consoles? Scaled back game functioinality for older generation?

99 problems and being ginger is one

• RedSparrows 21 Feb 2013 16:27:07 20,753 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Where'd it say it has a game sub?
  • w00t 21 Feb 2013 16:29:30 10,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They explicitly stated that there wouldn't be one.

"We're not talking about the business model today beyond the fact we're saying it's not a subscription service"

• thelion71 28 Feb 2013 10:04:44 51 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I am getting very excited about this game!

I love the lore and the post golden age of humanity setting. I respect Bungie as a company and feel that they delivered the goods with Halo : )

I for one am expecting great things from this game.

I love your balls, I like balls!

• mcmonkeyplc 28 Feb 2013 10:18:48 38,899 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it's not great expect scenes equivalent to Battlestar Galactica After they find nuked Earth and they have no hope

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Widge Moderator 28 Feb 2013 11:37:33 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was hooked in when I read the part about the behind the scenes matchmaking... I like the idea of having a vast FPS world with some sort of objective, but having other people peel in and out of it in a Journey type fashion.

And then I want to hit the people who say "can its be offline like diablos 3 nows?".

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• oceanmotion 28 Mar 2013 23:17:06 15,243 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GDC presentation

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=bungies-brave-new-world-20130328
  • shamblemonkee 28 Mar 2013 23:52:27 14,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ok, so that looks pretty great.
  • Bremenacht 29 Mar 2013 00:38:43 15,753 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thelion71 wrote:
    I love the lore and the post golden age of humanity setting. I respect Bungie as a company and feel that they delivered the goods with Halo : )
    If there's one thing I truely hated about Halo, it was the 'lore'. Then later -around Halo2 time- the very, very serious matter of 'canon'. It'll be the same with this.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• shamblemonkee 11 Jun 2013 09:20:13 14,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah, still looking great...

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/pahnzt/destiny-e3-2013--ps4-gameplay-reveal
  • Ironlungs76 11 Jun 2013 09:28:15 4,930 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, watched that 12min clip earlier. Even as a non-Bungie fanboy it looks bloomin' marvellous.

A cross somewhere between Halo, Borderlands and Mass Effect with impromptu MP events thrown in (apparently). Yummy :)
  • HoriZon 11 Jun 2013 13:00:51 13,461 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks OK to me but another generic shooter? hmmmmm

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Page

of 9 First / Last