Destiny - Bungie's next Page 6

• Page

of 94 First / Last

• Deleted user 18 February 2013 10:36:29
    So this is just going to be one of those online shooters with really big teams and probably vehicles then?

Innovative stuff.
  • Fake_Blood 18 Feb 2013 10:41:01 4,090 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stupid question probably, but is this going multiplat then?
  • RedSparrows 18 Feb 2013 10:43:14 22,104 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    So this is just going to be one of those online shooters with really big teams and probably vehicles then?

Innovative stuff.
    Sounds more like an MMOFPS that focuses on small-scale, a la WoW, than large, a la Planetside 2.
  • Scurrminator 18 Feb 2013 10:45:23 8,387 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    confirmed for 360 and PS3 and also future platforms. So the main 4 then.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• RichieTenenbaum 18 Feb 2013 10:47:25 2,182 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I reckon the traveller did it.
  • riceNpea 18 Feb 2013 10:48:23 592 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    typical. gypsies get blamed for everything.
  • Ultrasoundwave 18 Feb 2013 10:49:35 3,271 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, ive just read through the preview on the front page and, to be honest, i think it sounds amazing. It seems that Bungie are trying to do something that hasn't been done before, backed up by the Activision "bottomless pit o' money".

A couple of things that stood out for me. First, this quote :

"There's been a lot of rumours that we're working on an MMOFPS, whatever that is, or a social game," Jason Jones, Bungie co-founder and Destiny project director, says. "The truth is, if you enjoy first-person shooters and you play them on console, Destiny's going to be the best one you've ever played. That's our goal."

So, despite all the talk of MMO and the game being similar to Warcraft, it seems the main focus of the game will still be the FPS aspect, which is pleasing.

The next part that i liked was this :

Co-op courses through the veins of the game, its heartbeat pulsing constant connections powered by the studio's new, advanced network technology. "Everything you do in life is more fun if you do it with your friends," Jones says.

As a big fan of co-op, especially split-screen co-op, this is exciting news. Playing games like Borderlands, Resi 5/6 and Resistance 3 in co-op only elevates them in my opinion, so this game being built around co-op is fantastic news as far as im concerned.

Then there's this description :

"A game with all the time-sapping mechanics of World of Warcraft, all the heart-pounding fun and satisfaction of Borderlands' co-op and loot grind, and, of course, the world-class first person-shooting of Bungie's own Halo, all blended together by ground-breaking technology you neither see nor hear"
    I honestly can't understand a gamer reading that description and not at least being intrigued by it.

The final key point in the preview that caught my eye was this :

Bungie's gargantuan, multi-game 10-year deal with Activision means it's able to spin a yarn packed with complex and multi-threaded story arcs that may not be resolved for years. Bungie thinks of Destiny's story like a series of books, each with a beginning, middle and end that, when put together, form a much larger story with a beginning, middle and end.

I honestly LOVE the sound of that. If there really is a strong story to back up the exciting gameplay, this could be similar to watching your favourite TV show.

Overall, i'm really looking forward to this game after reading that. I like the fact that Bungie are trying to do something new, using all their experience and Activisions cash to try and make something that hasnt been done before.
    They could have been quite lazy and just made "Call of Duty in space" but the fact that they are really trying to innovate here is very pleasing.

Looking forward to seeing some gameplay soon!

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 10:50:05 18-02-2013

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• themightydux 18 Feb 2013 10:57:35 10 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    confirmed for 360 and PS3 and also future platforms.
    So the main 4 then.

They still haven't explained this fully. The vagueness of all this is ridiculous.

I'm excited for it but I'm not going to be buying it for a system that I'm likely to be replacing soon.
  • Whizzo 18 Feb 2013 10:57:52 43,039 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PvE only, small scale MMO FPS, yeah I think I'll hold off on the pre-order.

This space left intentionally blank.

• ubergine 18 Feb 2013 11:08:07 2,131 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I never saw anything in the Halo games that suggested Bungie could tell a story.

The Penny Arcade guy put it well - something like - "At first I thought Halo games had this terrible story, then I realised it had this fantastic story just really badly told."

I'll have to take his word about it having a fantastic story. It had an interesting blend of other people's tropes: Rendevous With Rama With Starcraft With Doom With Zombie Movie.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• RedSparrows 18 Feb 2013 11:27:18 22,104 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Of course it took from other people - most stories do.

It wasn't the best, and was told really badly at points, but it was still better than most games. Which isn't saying a lot, but there we are.
  • Triggerhappytel 18 Feb 2013 11:33:59 2,678 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought the original Halo had a good story, and well-told. Halo Reach was also pretty good, even if it messed with the series' canon a little too much for my liking. The others have been bunk though. Halo 2 was a particular low point. The whole premise was good when it was kept minimal, but when they started to over-explain things it just got messy and convoluted.
  • M83J01P97 18 Feb 2013 11:46:15 6,553 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    I thought the original Halo had a good story, and well-told. Halo Reach was also pretty good, even if it messed with the series' canon a little too much for my liking. The others have been bunk though. Halo 2 was a particular low point. The whole premise was good when it was kept minimal, but when they started to over-explain things it just got messy and convoluted.
    Halo 2 was essentially a fuck up, which Bungie have admitted in a round about way. They were basically under insane amounts of pressure from Microsoft during development which forced them to abandon large amounts of the game under a year before they were due to ship.

Halo 3 was better, but I don't think it did enough differently to make it stand out.
  • Progguitarist 18 Feb 2013 11:47:41 10,401 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What a thoroughly underwhelming reveal.
  • ResidentKnievel 18 Feb 2013 11:51:09 6,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    so it's like phantasy star online

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• L_Franko Moderator 18 Feb 2013 11:52:08 9,694 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm very much looking forward to hearing more about this game, the front page article has given me hope that this game will provide.
  • Fake_Blood 18 Feb 2013 12:00:53 4,090 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    themightydux wrote:
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    confirmed for 360 and PS3 and also future platforms.
    So the main 4 then.

They still haven't explained this fully. The vagueness of all this is ridiculous.

I'm excited for it but I'm not going to be buying it for a system that I'm likely to be replacing soon.
    I just hope they don't develop it for 360 and then port it to next gen.
  • oceanmotion 18 Feb 2013 12:22:22 15,678 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think MS might score an HD version for the new Xbox or Bungie will wait a year and release the first Destiny with DLC on the new Xbox and PS4, a year before the sequel turns up.

When they mention Dungeons and lobby areas were you can emote. Just sounds so tiresome and old. Bet Kinect 2.0 for waving and stuff.

Edited by oceanmotion at 12:27:33 18-02-2013
  • richardiox 18 Feb 2013 12:43:42 5,551 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the only reason Bungie didn't talk about their next gen versions yesterday is because they can't until Sony and MS do their announcements. "Officially" the two new consoles still don't exist yet so publishers are having to hold fire and rely on implications.

Still reckon Destiny will be a timed exclusive on the 720 and will be out for launch or very soon after.
  • Progguitarist 18 Feb 2013 13:31:21 10,401 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It sounds like it'll be similar to Firefight mode with a bunch of social media things tacked on. I can't see how, with the current crop of consoles, it's going to support large numbers of players at the same time.
  • shamblemonkee 18 Feb 2013 13:36:16 14,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It sounded to me like it would be a hub model ala Guild Wars 1, Path of Exile, etc *don't mention Hellgate London!*.

go to town to form groups, trade, etc with the world at large and then off into instanced zones to kill and loot.

Probably hoping for too much and it will all be tightly regulated but FPS ARPG with the loot to go with it would be my dream game :D
  • beastmaster 18 Feb 2013 13:41:45 11,205 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did I see something that wasn't there in the reveal?

I though I saw some dude doing something on a mobile phone with a spaceship and then the spaceship flying towards a planet(?). I don't think it was part of a cut scene.

I'm looking forward to this game.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• fletch7100 18 Feb 2013 13:44:57 7,007 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @beastmaster

That iOS and android app, think they just mentioned as you can message your friends, customise your character. Probably add in more options, mission checker, buy/sell items etc
  • sanctusmortis 18 Feb 2013 13:49:49 9,627 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not interested at all. As I tend not to be when games are announced like that.
  • Triggerhappytel 18 Feb 2013 13:53:38 2,678 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This wrote:
    What is this crap? Looks like a console crap to me
    Yeah, I hope it's as good as that Ghostbusters game on iOS you seem very fond of!
  • richardiox 18 Feb 2013 14:04:09 5,551 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This wrote:
    What is this crap? Looks like a console crap to me
    Thank god half term only last for a week. Awful troll or the forums first iOS/Android only fanboy.
  • Latin 18 Feb 2013 14:05:11 3,603 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had a little think about this and I'm sure it will be excellent, unfortunately none of my friends are gamers anymore so I get the most enjoyment out of single player games... Skyrim being the one that I've enjoyed the most recently.

For that reason I'll wait to see what the single player aspect offers... If it sounds like an MMO, without a proper single player campaign I'm out!

For now, I'm looking to GTA V as the biggest game of the year.
  • Benno 18 Feb 2013 14:19:50 9,804 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think this sounds interesting, will be keeping a close eye on it.

Once microsoft and sony play their hand we'll no doubt get some extra information on how this fits in with the next gen consoles.
  • Page

of 94 First / Last