Singapore/Malaysia/SE Asia

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2012 20:37:18 10,506 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm off to Singapore on Friday, coming back on boxing day, thinking of 3-5 nights in Singapore in total and the rest of the time in Malaysia with possible visits to Thailand, Borneo, Indonesia or the Philippines.
    We've been to Thailand and Vietnam before and would appreciate any tips/advice from anyone forumites who have spent time there.
    Anyone?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 20:41:38 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have you been to hong kong? The skyline is amazing, well worth a trip
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Nov 2012 20:49:04 37,664 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is an easy joke. Please, no-one make it.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 20:49:14 27-11-2012

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Load_2.0 27 Nov 2012 20:52:54 19,105 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Malaysia is probably the most boring place I have ever visited visited in the world. The food isn't much chop either.

Especially compared to Thailand, Borneo and Indonesia.

Singapore has enough to keep people entertained for a few days but for me 3-4 days would definitely be enough. Zoo, shopping, dinner. Thats about it.
  • Trafford 27 Nov 2012 21:28:18 5,720 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Air Asia have a good network of flights from KL.
    Go see the Orangutans in Borneo.

SE Asia is way too hot for me. I vowed never to return, despite it being good for sex tourism.

Edited by Trafford at 21:30:24 27-11-2012
  • 8bitMofo 27 Nov 2012 21:33:35 428 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    This is an easy joke. Please, no-one make it.
    No Spitting in Singapore, you MUST swallow?
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 Nov 2012 21:44:20 7,650 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any chance you could stay there and not come back?

Dammit!

/fails TomFTW's test
  • Kostabi 27 Nov 2012 21:46:45 4,903 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You get better deals on prostitutes if you have US$.
  • Aphex666 27 Nov 2012 22:30:48 151 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I worked in Singapore for a bit and developed a love of fishball noodles. I loved those things and I live in the hope that one day they make their way over here.

Apart from that the Night Safari is ok, at the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel there's a pretty good view and Sentosa Island is a good laugh as there's a Universal Theme Park there now.

The main pastimes in Singapore are shopping and eating so you might as well make like a local, ok la. Brush up on your Singlish as well ; )
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2012 22:36:14 10,506 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Aphex666 wrote:
    I worked in Singapore for a bit and developed a love of fishball noodles. I loved those things and I live in the hope that one day they make their way over here.

Apart from that the Night Safari is ok, at the top of the Marina Bay Sands hotel there's a pretty good view and Sentosa Island is a good laugh as there's a Universal Theme Park there now.

The main pastimes in Singapore are shopping and eating so you might as well make like a local, ok la. Brush up on your Singlish as well ; )
    Thanks mate,
    I'm really looking forward to the food, thanks for the tips.
    Thinking about going from Singapore to KL for a few days then up to Yangon in Myanmar for a few days, hit the beaches then either head to Cambodia or back down to Malaysia. Hmmm..

• Aphex666 27 Nov 2012 23:21:39 151 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and if someone says to go to Orchard Towers because that's where all the best bars are DON'T Believe them. Orchard Towers Wikipedia Entry
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Nov 2012 05:18:49 7,962 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Malaysia is probably the most boring place I have ever visited visited in the world. The food isn't much chop either.

Especially compared to Thailand, Borneo and Indonesia.

Malaysia food is great. Beats the seafood laced with Chilli that you get in Indonesia.
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Nov 2012 05:57:57 13,259 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did Malaysia last year, taking in KL and then down to Langkawi. I'd second the notion that it's a bit boring. We did a few days in Cambodia and frankly we wished we'd spent the whole time there.

If you can sort visas there are so many places in China worth a look, but the language barrier is a pain in the ringpiece. Taiwan and Hong Kong should definitely get on the shortlist, and they're a lot more Western friendly. Taiwan has some spectacular scenery, and Taipei has food that would change your life it's so good. Hong Kong is such an iconic place to visit, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to skip it.

That said, if you're in KL and go up to the Batu caves can you get me one of the singing light-up mirror things being peddled to the tourists? It has a little Indian style vocal snippet that plays on constant loop that has been in my mind since I visited. I need to own it. So I can destroy it. And then hope it is also extracted from my brain. Oh, and if you find the monkey that chucked the coconut husk at me kick its stupid face in. Thanks! :)
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Nov 2012 06:17:56 7,962 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PJM's Chinese phrase book:

Fu oo yuan: Oi over here
    Ei ping pi jiu tsingdao binda: 1 bottle of cold beer
    da kai: Open (point at beer)
    shai shai: Thanks

What more do you need?

Edit:
    Replace Ei with Liang if you want 2 beers. (Or San if you want 3).

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 06:20:12 28-11-2012
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Nov 2012 06:45:33 13,259 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You asked for a Tsingtao specifically, rather than a local brand. Bloody tourist. Also your pinyin/phonetic attempts are off the mark - that'd get you stabbed in Shanghai if you spoke it out loud. ;)

\remembers the moment of joy when he learnt to say "please stop the taxi just over there" rather than simply "STOP!" which usually resulted in screeching tyres and whiplash.
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Nov 2012 07:09:09 7,962 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still have flash backs of when I got the tones wrong when asking for a Sprite.
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Nov 2012 07:23:14 13,259 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is that "sui be"? Rising on the first and flat on the second? I'm terrified now that I've been asking for ladyboys all this time. :)

There's a dude I work with called Yongwei. Yangwei means "missing manhood". Much hilarity ensues if I'm not exact in my pronunciation of his name.

So bottom line, Ecosse: fuck Malaysia. Get your arse to (Mars) China.
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Nov 2012 07:28:11 7,962 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was meant to say: "Xui Bi" (Sprite)

I said: "Shaui Bi" (Wet Vulva)
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Nov 2012 07:30:35 13,259 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xui Bi is how I've been doing it thankfully. Never seen it written though - the Chinese lady that operates a little vending shack near work exchanges her Mandarin knowledge for my English knowledge every time I buy something.

Actually I learnt most of my 'brand' pronunciation from her. Which was lucky, 'cos I was having fuck all luck ordering a coke until she put me straight!
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Nov 2012 07:32:57 7,962 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ke Le

2nd, (rising) followed by 3rd (fall and rise)?
  • ray 28 Nov 2012 07:33:17 684 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Phattso wrote: …If you can sort visas there are so many places in China worth a look, but the language barrier is a pain in the ringpiece. Taiwan and Hong Kong should definitely get on the shortlist, and they're a lot more Western friendly. Taiwan has some spectacular scenery, and Taipei has food that would change your life it's so good. Hong Kong is such an iconic place to visit, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to skip it.…
    I lived in Taipei (what is now Xinbei) for a year and a half, stayed in Hong Kong just for a bit (visited some other places in the area too) and now I live in Singapore (soon to be my second year), and I think the same.

If it's not too late to change your plans, I'd say just skip Singapore, it really has absolutely nothing to offer. The only good thing about it is the weather (I like super hot weather).

Admittedly I'm pretty biased because I wasn't in Taiwan as a tourist but we (wife and me) actually lived there and were basically taken care of by her friends (whom she knew from her university days) for the whole time so we knew where to go, what to do / avoid etc. But even if it weren't for that I ate better food in some of Taipei's small side street restaurants the size of a living room than some of Singapore's supposedly stylish places.

The "Taipei has food that would change your life it's so good" part is literally true for me, although you have to be careful where you eat because some places have very lax standards when it comes to hygiene (or safety for that matter, on one occasion I found a screw in my rice!).

Edit: Oh right, you're off on Friday, probably too late to change your plans.

Edited by ray at 07:57:01 28-11-2012
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Nov 2012 07:35:46 13,259 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Ke Le

2nd, (rising) followed by 3rd (fall and rise)?
    Yeah. The whole thing is "Kou Ka Ke Le" I think which, when pronounced, sounds like a lecherous vomit. :)

This thread is now about cool people who live in Asia. Sorry, Armoured_Boar.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Nov 2012 07:39:05 10,506 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll save China/HK for another trip, definitely would like to go at some point.
    @Phattso, where did you go in Cambodia?

• Phattso Moderator 28 Nov 2012 07:42:25 13,259 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was only three days, so it was a whistlestop tour of Angkor Wot based out of an hotel in Siem Reap. Hired a taxi dude for the duration to ferry us around places. Took a trip up the river, too, out to a crocodile farm on the coast. Fucking terrifying, but very much worth it.

The worst meal I ate in Cambodia eclipsed the best meal I ate in Malaysia. Your mileage may vary, etc. etc.
  • Tonka 28 Nov 2012 07:59:04 20,151 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have no specific tips so I'll dish out my best general tips on how to research a trip.
    1 Start an EG thread on the subject (you've done this already)
    2 for each country you are going to google the phrase "top to visit [country name]"
    3 for each country you are going to google the phrase "top to see [country name]"
    4 for each country you are going to google the phrase "top off the beaten track [country name]"

Then select the lists with the lowest count (ie Top 5 beats top 20 (20 being lazy)) and look through them and you will find something nice.

Bonus tip, go to Pinterest and do a search for each country you are going to

Also, pack your bag. Then take out half of what you packed and leave that behind.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• nickthegun 28 Nov 2012 09:18:19 59,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:

Dammit!

/fails TomFTW's test
    Youre OK. I think Tom was talking about gags about him being a sex tourist.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Tonka 28 Nov 2012 09:24:01 20,151 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Aphex666 Go to your lcal asian store and ask for frozen fish balls. They have them.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• PazJohnMitch 28 Nov 2012 09:50:19 7,962 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:

Dammit!

/fails TomFTW's test
    Youre OK. I think Tom was talking about gags about him being a sex tourist.
    Definitely a sex tourist. Almost suggested he took the hydrofoil from Singapore to Batam island Indonesia. But I thought better of it...
  • DaM 28 Nov 2012 09:53:15 12,968 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Seriously? I want to go to these countries purely because of the food, nothing else!
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Nov 2012 10:03:29 13,259 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Malaysia is really strange. So many cultural influences, so much variety of food, but in many ways it has somehow taken the worst from each rather than the best. Very bland at any rate.

Eating at an impromptu street food vendor in Cambodia I got a bunch of beer, a whole fish which was incredibly tasty, some of the best noodles I've ever eaten, and something I can't even describe that was spicier than the nuclear core of the sun all for not much more than buying a ham and cress sandwich in the UK. :)

Taiwan though... just thinking of the street food there makes me want to jump on a 'plane right now.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous