Kid from 2.5 men says "don't watch the show, it's not Bible-Friendly", causes shit Page 5

  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

  • kinky_mong 27 Nov 2012 16:23:21 9,958 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't have dreamed of saying this a few years ago but America are beating the UK hands down on comedy recently.

    All we have at the moment is Peep Show (the second series of Fresh Meat seems to have forgotten to be funny). Meanwhile America has IASIP, Archer, Community, and South Park and American Dad are still making me laugh. I'm really looking forward to Arrested Development coming back next year too.

    Edited by kinky_mong at 16:24:06 27-11-2012

    I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

  • localnotail 27 Nov 2012 16:45:32 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phoneshop, The Thick of It, and Cuckoo have all been good IMO.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • kinky_mong 27 Nov 2012 17:10:14 9,958 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Forgot The Thick Of It, that was very good. I thought Phoneshop was utter bobbins though, and Cuckoo was okay but not outstanding.

    I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

  • Blotto 27 Nov 2012 17:16:56 2,715 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thing is with New girl is that as it went on it toned down the bad things about the show i,e "Look how kooky Jess is? Isn't she kooky!" and played up the good - the relationship between the flat, more Nick, Winston actually contributing to the comedy.
  • kalel 27 Nov 2012 17:21:49 86,345 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    America should by all rights kick our arses - the industry is far larger with huge amounts more investment and more channels. Proportionately I still think we do pretty well.

    Also the best thing in America at the moment is Veep which is British comedy in disguise. American Office also owes us a huge debt and therefore so does Parks and Rec.

    Talent wise we can easily go to-to-toe with the yanks but we're in a slight lull at the moment in terms of stuff being made. We need the likes of Amando Ianucci, Charlie Brooker and Chris Morris to get back in the game, and Gervais and Merchant need to stop being so obsessed with their celeb status and start being funny again.
  • graysonavich 27 Nov 2012 17:22:46 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Phoneshop is massively underrated. I think people think its for chavs because it has chavs in it. But it's very well written.
  • kalel 27 Nov 2012 17:23:45 86,345 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I thought phoneshop was great.
  • localnotail 27 Nov 2012 17:26:25 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Phoneshop is massively underrated. I think people think its for chavs because it has chavs in it. But it's very well written.
    I really loved it, the characters / acting was great and the dialogue hilarious, almost poetic at times.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • Kay 27 Nov 2012 17:29:54 17,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, Phoneshop was good (the first season, at least). Fonejacker's character in particular was great.

    So, all this thread is proving is that comedy is subjective.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 17:31:56 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @graysonavich it's mostly improvised I believe. Was surprised by how good it was
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 17:36:54 58,784 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    America should by all rights kick our arses - the industry is far larger with huge amounts more investment and more channels. Proportionately I still think we do pretty well.
    I think its precisely because they are so huge and the investments are so big. We tend to distill a good idea down to half a dozen episodes because of cost and the fact that good ideas tend to be a bit edgy..

    Its no co-incidence that shit like miranda get full length series and, to be honest, I dont think any of our most well loved sitcoms could have stood being dragged over 23 episodes.

    Although the american office kind of shoots that idea down, but you get my point.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 17:39:53
    Episodes is worth watching with regards to the US/UK comedy divide. Hell, it's worth watching regardless.
  • Blotto 27 Nov 2012 17:41:55 2,715 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Charlie Brookers Screenwipe USA touched on the fact that although the industry is much larger, its incredibly difficult to get things through without having them made completely shit.

    About 3 minutes in

    Obviously this was made a few years ago so no idea whether things have changed or not.
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 17:47:40 58,784 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its why virtually nothing has translated well. If you take one british sitcom, water down the main idea and then drag it out over four times as many episodes I cant see how anyone is surprised when it tanks.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 17:51:59
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its why virtually nothing has translated well. If you take one british sitcom, water down the main idea and then drag it out over four times as many episodes I cant see how anyone is surprised when it tanks.
    See: Inbetweeners USA.
  • Lukus 27 Nov 2012 17:52:14 18,998 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The new Alan Partridge stuff was pretty good, what I saw of it (fuck you Sky). The Trip was also really good, although I think that was last year now.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 17:52:38
    Actually, that failed to translate it because it wasn't translated at all, and was also done better (for the US) ten years ago with Freaks and Geeks anyway.
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 17:53:20 58,784 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its why virtually nothing has translated well. If you take one british sitcom, water down the main idea and then drag it out over four times as many episodes I cant see how anyone is surprised when it tanks.
    See: Inbetweeners USA.
    i wasnt aware such a thing existed until now. TO YOUTUBE

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 17:55:04
    nickthegun wrote:
    meme wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its why virtually nothing has translated well. If you take one british sitcom, water down the main idea and then drag it out over four times as many episodes I cant see how anyone is surprised when it tanks.
    See: Inbetweeners USA.
    i wasnt aware such a thing existed until now. TO YOUTUBE
    It could have actually been good if they let it do its own thing from the off, but it's the same show, almost word for word.
  • Kay 27 Nov 2012 17:55:39 17,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They did the same with the IT Crowd, didn't they? Never went past the pilot though, iirc.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 17:58:34
    Yeah. IT Crowd USA was the first episode word for word with very minor changes. And proved almost conclusively that Joel McHale is overrated.
  • Shikasama 27 Nov 2012 18:03:19 6,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh god Phoneshop is amazing.

    I absolutely love those two and I could listen to an hour of just them talking very easily.
  • localnotail 27 Nov 2012 18:38:02 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Shikasama "A hour", Shirley? ;)

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • spamdangled 27 Nov 2012 19:07:46 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The kids lucky he doesnt work on US shameless. He'd have an aneurysm.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Gambit1977 28 Nov 2012 15:20:01 9,583 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He's released a statement!!

    I have been the subject of much discussion, speculation and commentary over the past 24 hours. While I cannot address everything that has been said or right every misstatement or misunderstanding, there is one thing I want to make clear.

    Without qualification, I am grateful to and have the highest regard and respect for all of the wonderful people on Two and Half Men with whom I have worked over the past ten years and who have become an extension of my family.

    Chuck Lorre, Peter Roth and many others at Warner Bros. and CBS are responsible for what has been one of the most significant experiences in my life to date. I thank them for the opportunity they have given and continue to give me and the help and guidance I have and expect to continue to receive from them.

    I also want all of the crew and cast on our show to know how much I personally care for them and appreciate their support, guidance and love over the years. I grew up around them and know that the time they spent with me was in many instances more than with their own families. I learned life lessons from so many of them and will never forget how much positive impact they have had on my life.

    I apologize if my remarks reflect me showing indifference to and disrespect of my colleagues and a lack of appreciation of the extraordinary opportunity of which I have been blessed. I never intended that.
  • megastar 28 Nov 2012 15:45:23 17,133 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    350k a fucking episode!!!
  • Dante_Cubit 28 Nov 2012 16:42:54 1,880 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    He's released a statement!!

    I have been the subject of much discussion, speculation and commentary over the past 24 hours. While I cannot address everything that has been said or right every misstatement or misunderstanding, there is one thing I want to make clear.

    Without qualification, I am grateful to and have the highest regard and respect for all of the wonderful people on Two and Half Men with whom I have worked over the past ten years and who have become an extension of my family.

    Chuck Lorre, Peter Roth and many others at Warner Bros. and CBS are responsible for what has been one of the most significant experiences in my life to date. I thank them for the opportunity they have given and continue to give me and the help and guidance I have and expect to continue to receive from them.

    I also want all of the crew and cast on our show to know how much I personally care for them and appreciate their support, guidance and love over the years. I grew up around them and know that the time they spent with me was in many instances more than with their own families. I learned life lessons from so many of them and will never forget how much positive impact they have had on my life.

    I apologize if my remarks reflect me showing indifference to and disrespect of my colleagues and a lack of appreciation of the extraordinary opportunity of which I have been blessed. I never intended that.
    "I would also like to add that I have been called in to see the network execs who have told me in no uncertain terms to shut the fuck up about morality and do what I am told. They have also pointed out that I am a two-a-penny no talent fuckwit who is entirely expendable. If Charlie Sheen could be replaced then then there Is absolutely no reason why my 'brother' couldn't turn up out of nowhere and things continue as usual. It is not as if people watch the program for its realism. I look forward to struggling to find subsequent employment and developing a crippling alcohol addiction".

    Edited by Dante_Cubit at 18:59:10 28-11-2012
  • Gambit1977 28 Nov 2012 16:43:46 9,583 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    350k a fucking episode!!!
    Clearly all spent on burgers and Jesus
  • nickthegun 28 Nov 2012 16:45:19 58,784 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    While I cannot address everything that has been said or right every misstatement or misunderstanding
    Its pretty hard to misunderstand that video, angus.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • kickerconspiracy 28 Nov 2012 16:47:05 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1uTqA9jWWE

    The pilot for the US version of Red Dwarf.

    It makes the baby Jesus cry.
  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

Log in or register to reply