Elementary

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Salaman 26 Nov 2012 11:04:39 18,237 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A friend recommended this to me last week and I've been working my way through the 7 season 1 episodes in the last few days. It's quite good.

It's a modern take on Sherlock, set in NY. The magnifying glass has been replaced by an iphone with some special lense attached to it for detailed pictures.
    There's a backstory thrown in that brings Watson into it and adds some tension and mystery as a sort of over-arching story arch.

Quite enjoyable all in all. Deductive reasoning Serhlock style in a 21st century setting. I doubt there's any legal way to watch it in Europe yet but it's at the usual TV-shows-at-american-pace places.
  • mrpon 26 Nov 2012 11:13:09 27,640 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You might want to mention the "quirky" casting.

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• Gambit1977 26 Nov 2012 11:13:21 9,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been watching it via the usual channels...it's actually a lot of fun. Very police procedural, but still enjoyable characters, and Lucy Lui would definitely get it.
  • Kostabi 26 Nov 2012 11:23:31 4,660 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I usually hate police procedural stuff but quite like Elementary. I've been watching it on Sky Living as they're only a couple of episodes behind so it's one less thing to keep track of.

Plus, y'know, Lucy Lui...
  • Murbal 26 Nov 2012 11:26:29 21,539 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lucy Lui for me, Jonny Lee Miller for the missus, fun and not overly serious story... We like it.
  • PearOfAnguish 26 Nov 2012 11:36:09 6,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jonny Lee Miller makes it for me, performance is fantastic and his Sherlock's complete lack of social graces makes for some amusing scenes.

Problem with it so far is that the plots aren't as good as the main characters. Because he's such a genius they have to come up with some really convoluted setups that have so far been quite ridiculous. Badly need to to introduce a Moriarty or some other big bad threat.
  • glaeken 26 Nov 2012 11:45:58 10,975 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am enjoying it but do agree the plots are not up to much. The main cast are great though. Jonny Lee Miller's Holmes is great fun and Lucy Lui can do no wrong in my eyes.
  • Salaman 26 Nov 2012 11:54:36 18,237 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    You might want to mention the "quirky" casting.
    Don't know the guy playing Sherlock and I wasn't sure how to spell Lucy's name. :-)
    I don't mind the plots/cases much. It's popcorn "crime/detective" watching for me. They're all very similar aren't they? Crime, obvious suspects as misdirection, new suspects from an unexpected angle, some back and forth, case solved.
  • glaeken 26 Nov 2012 12:06:48 10,975 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem so far is I can spot who did it to easily. The big issue with this type of who dunit mystery is they always introduce you to who did it as part of the investigation. So who did it is never someone you have not seen before and given the 45 minutes they need to fit it all into there is a limit to how many suspects they can really have. For me this makes spotting who did it a little too easy. Itís a flaw of the format really.

Personally I prefer the approach where you always know who did it and itís a matter of the investigator finding this out. Luther would be a good example of that approach as you mostly know who did it from the start of each case.
  • Jono62 26 Nov 2012 12:12:49 13,627 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That was the Columbo way too.
  • PearOfAnguish 26 Nov 2012 12:29:46 6,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not just that, the plots are also a little too silly. The first episode for example involved a guy persuading his wife to change her looks so one of his patients would become obsessed with her and kill her.
  • Salaman 24 Jan 2013 10:08:03 18,237 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Forgot all about this for a while and then had three episodes to download in one go! Yaaay!
  • PearOfAnguish 24 Jan 2013 10:10:19 6,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some of the plots are still hit and miss but there's an important development in a recent episode which signals a big improvement.
  • Razz 24 Jan 2013 10:11:20 59,982 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm watching monk at the moment, is this quite similar?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• BeheretiK 24 Jan 2013 10:22:33 858 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I'm watching monk at the moment, is this quite similar?
    No, Elementary takes itself a lot more seriously where Monk always had a lot of humour. It does share the complicated (or unnecessarily convoluted at times) crimes which needs a genius to solve it, so it is similar in that way I guess. As PearOfAnguish says, it has improved recently and when it gets the formula right, it is really good. Looks pretty sure of being renewed as well so that is good as well.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• PearOfAnguish 24 Jan 2013 10:40:17 6,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BeheretiK wrote:
    Looks pretty sure of being renewed as well so that is good as well.
    They've ordered a full 24 episode run for the first season, which is a good sign.
  • MetalDog 24 Jan 2013 10:48:41 23,706 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How does this stand up next to Sherlock?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• glaeken 24 Jan 2013 11:00:15 10,975 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It depends really. Do you find Lucy Lui hot? If yes it's far superior.

A more measured answer is it's different. Johnny Lee Miller is actually very good as a take on the Holmes character and they don't have any of the silly Ninja nonsense of the BBC Sherlock. The mysteries are a little farfetched in their solutions and it suffers from being able to spot who did it fairly quickly but it's fairly fun. The mysteryís on the BBC Sherlock are just as farfetched but they cut down on the silly factor in this one to a degree. It's yet to feature anything as truly nonsense as the BBC hound of the Baskervilles story.

I actually enjoy them both though I think both have some pretty major flaws and the main strength of both is the character interaction between Holmes and Watson. The BBC one probably has more of a "cool" factor going for it if that is your thing.

Edited by glaeken at 11:02:34 24-01-2013
  • MetalDog 24 Jan 2013 11:34:58 23,706 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, I'm not swayed by the titty factor, so I may well pass on this for the forseeable, until it shows up right under my nose on freeview, I guess.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• PazJohnMitch 24 Jan 2013 12:17:50 7,244 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I enjoyed the episodes of Elementary that were on Sky. I initially found Lucy really annoying as Watson but after a few episodes that past.

I preferred the BBC one but thought both were very good. (Both better than the films which I thought were merely good).

Elementary does suffer more from Scooby Doo syndrome than BBC Sherlock which is why I think BBC Sherlock is superior.

Elementary does occasionally give enough information to the viewer to solve a case entirely how SH himself does. There is one episode I did this with whereas on BBC Sherlock the whole thing was a huge mystery to me.

(This maybe because I watched all of them back to back one afternoon. So I got used to what to look for).
  • glaeken 24 Jan 2013 13:02:58 10,975 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem with BBC's Sherlock is he just uses the magic power of autism to pluck solutions out of thin air. You are not given enough to try and work out the solution for yourself. I don't find that a very satisfying way of mystery writing.

I think a good example of how to do the sort of mystery that would have worked well for a modern take on Holmes is actually the early Jonathan Creek episodes. They gave you the Ah moment when something was solved as the clues had all been there in front of you the whole time and the solutions hung together well.
  • Phattso Moderator 31 May 2013 07:08:46 12,721 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just went through the entire 24 episode first series run of this, over the last couple of months. After a so-so start it actually got really enjoyable by the end and I'm really looking forward to another batch of episodes for the second series. Pleasantly surprised.

I try to love the BBC one, but episodes like that Hound of the Baskervilles one where it's just trying to make so many nods to the source material that nobody stopped to ask if it was just, y'know, a little shit really grinds my gears. Love the BBC characters, and finale aside wish the scripts could match them. The US one doesn't ever reach the same highs, but nicely sidesteps the lows as well.
  • PearOfAnguish 31 May 2013 08:51:23 6,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Pleasantly surprised" should be the tagline for this show. I think most people had dismissed it but if you give it a chance it's really enjoyable.

And as has been pointed out by many, there are some really strong female characters.

Recently started watching Sherlock, and while Cumberbatch is good I think Johnny Lee Miller's take on the character is superior.

Sherlock's Moriarty is spectacular though, he just revealed himself and that dude is creepy as hell.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 08:51:50 31-05-2013
  • glaeken 31 May 2013 09:26:13 10,975 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Johnny Lee Miller's take on the character is I think really good. He is far more human than Cumberbatch's version. The leaps of logic Millerís version takes are not quite so fantastical either.

It's definitely an entertaining show and has improved quite a lot over the run. I actually think the relationship between Miller and Lui works really well and they seem to be avoiding the will they or won't they dynamic pretty well.
  • Tonka 31 May 2013 12:50:48 19,839 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    7 seasons already?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• millerlfc 31 May 2013 16:37:58 364 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just watched the finale this week, definitely in agreement that the show was far better than I ever expected it to be.
  • MMMarmite 31 May 2013 16:50:20 910 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tonka just one so far, that was posted before a full season was commissioned hence only seven episodes.

Also I thought it was Lucy Liu?

Edited by MMMarmite at 16:52:19 31-05-2013
  • glaeken 31 May 2013 16:59:45 10,975 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can spell it either way. That is the right way or the wrong way.

And just to remind us who she is. NSFW.

http://imgur.com/a/vICuc
  • malloc 21 Jun 2013 14:11:30 2,093 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Glad to hear it stacks up well. I'm looking to get it on DVD. Me and the missus enjoy Sherlock and I thought this would be a good set to watch.
  • PearOfAnguish 12 Oct 2013 11:22:09 6,978 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Season 2 starts 22nd October. The story picked up a bit toward the end of s1 so hopefully they've worked a bit harder on that side of things.

First ep is set in London so that'll draw more comparisons to Sherlock.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous