• Page

of 12 First / Last

• OmniaVincitAmor 28 Nov 2012 18:23:20 1,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    No, but they killed the Vita.
    Lolololol. Hmmm.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Deleted user 28 November 2012 18:23:34
    Psychotext wrote:
    False alarm people. I've just checked the price of the games I want to buy, and a bigger memory card. For a device that is supposedly dead (where everything must go cheap), they sure do command amazingly high prices (both new and second hand).

Psychotext, message me directly when it is actually dead, so I won't miss all the great 32GB memory stick deals for 10, and get in on the 5 AAA games :).
  • OmniaVincitAmor 28 Nov 2012 18:25:18 1,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    False alarm people. I've just checked the price of the games I want to buy, and a bigger memory card. For a device that is supposedly dead (where everything must go cheap), they sure do command amazingly high prices (both new and second hand).

Psychotext, message me directly when it is actually dead, so I won't miss all the great 32GB memory stick deals for 10, and get in on the 5 AAA games :).
    Just ignore him/her. Sony murdrered his/her family.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Psychotext 28 Nov 2012 18:27:34 54,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's all relative, most of Sony fathered vizzini.
  • Ryze 11 Jan 2013 01:20:47 3,124 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think the Vita's really got started yet. Would have been nice for it to have taken off like a rocket, but that's just not realistic when looking at the feature-set, price and competition.

I like to look back at the late 80s onwards for comparison, as I don't recall the Mega Drive suddenly taking off upon release. The Altered Beast pack wasn't a sensation. The Sonic pack was, and IIRC, that bundle came along in early 1992.

The Vita has a tonne of competition, whereas the PS2 only had the Dreamcast, and the Dreamcast didn't have DVD, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, GTA III or Playstation compatibility (until Bleemcast).

Sony obviously aren't interested in adding Android support. They removed Linux support from the PS3, so I'd not expect them to add any semblance of Android support to the Vita. That'd help somewhat, but It wouldn't help Sony to sell any content at all.

I think we'll see better over the next year or two, when the PS4 is released. Hopefully there'll be some nice complementary features. Saying that, we all hoped for the same from the PS3, after the PSP came along, and any connectivity features were largely bobbins, really.
  • Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 01:33:05 54,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ryze 11 Jan 2013 01:35:28 3,124 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Just discussing briefly with the editor of tech for the Guardian on twitter and he wondered if Sony will even make a new Playstation console.
    This reminds me of the stories on here last year, when the Onlive spokesperson person doubted that Sony could afford a new console launch.

I don't see why they couldn't put a modern spec AMD PC in a box and call it the PS4. Also, they've acquired Gaikai, so they could sell these PS4 games to PS3 owners with adequate Internet connections.

This is Sony though, and it could be too late for them. We'll see... They're such a huge company - I've no idea how long it'd take them to die, and how easily they can launch new products at this stage. They DID manage to launch the Vita last year, and SURELY they couldn't have expected to have realistically sold more than double what they've sold so far, at that price.
  • Ryze 11 Jan 2013 01:37:31 3,124 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    [strike]Looks like the Vita did between 125k and 200k in the US in December (3DS did 1.25m).

I hear they're coming out with a Norwegian Blue special edition though, might give flight to the sales.[/strike]
    Heh! I didn't realise that the last post before mine was in Nov! How did I find the thread, I wonder?

Edited by Ryze at 01:38:21 11-01-2013
  • Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 01:40:06 54,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry, deleted it because the numbers were wrong. These are right:

Looks like the Vita did between 200k and 250k in the US in December (3DS did 1.25m).

I hear they're coming out with a Norwegian Blue special edition though, might give flight to the sales.
    Edited by Psychotext at 01:40:17 11-01-2013
  • Ryze 11 Jan 2013 01:44:17 3,124 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool.

The thing I keep wondering about, it just how straightforward the process of porting games from PS3 actually is.

If it's as simple as Sony seemed to be touting befoere the Vita launch, then we should really have seen a continual dripfeed of Sony PSN games on the Vita.

Not sure what's going on there! Pretty much every PSN launch could be a dual format launch. Saying that, I've not been looking at PSN since Journey, so I've no idea what's going on there.
  • Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 01:47:38 54,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be honest though, I don't think games are really going to help. There really doesn't seem to be any massive shortage of them as things stand.
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 02:06:55
    Ryze wrote:
    I don't think the Vita's really got started yet. Would have been nice for it to have taken off like a rocket, but that's just not realistic when looking at the feature-set, price and competition.
    Doubt it will, it's a powerful handheld so users expect graphically impressive games, they cost money, so much so that it's hard to take risks on a low selling platform.
  • ecureuil 11 Jan 2013 02:36:07 76,832 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They need to slash the price. I know there's profit margins and blah blah blah, but I don't understand why they'd rather let their console die overpriced than sell it competitively. People can't afford to spend $300 on a handheld games console these days. They couldn't afford $600 on a PS3 either.

You sit there watching the PS3 limp along pathetically and just.. cut the fucking price, it will fly off the shelves. PS3 would have smoked the 360 in sales if they'd priced it correctly but they just sat there at $600 or whatever, and watched it sell like crap every month. I mean, I'm sure this is all properly calculated, but Sony seems to think they're Apple and people will buy it for whatever price. It affects everyone who owns the console because we need it to sell in order to get games. Nintendo acted on the 3DS and now it's selling. Sony do fuck all then put a 6 year old Xbox game (EDF) on the Vita store for 30 notes. You'd think they're trying to make it fail.
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 02:48:00
    Price is only half the issue, no one want's to play an even worse version of assasins creed that they can play on their consoles, etc. It needs to offer different software, whilst at the same time using it's only selling point which seems to be a little bit of power.

Good machine but Sony will be lucky if they even get the success of the PSP.
  • Gregolution 11 Jan 2013 13:18:17 3,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    No one want's to play an even worse version of assasins creed that they an play on their consoles, .
    It's not, it's a different version. But even if it was, I would. Most of my gaming time is on my daily commute, why should I have to restrict myself to what would traditionally be branded portable games?
  • ElNuevo9 11 Jan 2013 13:26:30 13,434 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Price is only half the issue, no one want's to play an even worse version of assasins creed that they can play on their consoles, etc..
    Hang on, didn't you buy a WiiU for that? :D

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Widge Moderator 11 Jan 2013 13:43:50 13,621 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Price is only half the issue, no one want's to play an even worse version of assasins creed that they can play on their consoles
    Ok I get the point, but that is a poor example - you cannot play the Vita Assassin's Creed on home console, same with the upcoming Killzone, Uncharted, even Call Of Duty.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• lmnop 11 Jan 2013 13:45:00 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Vita is dying, long live the iphone 5

Just Face it....

• Widge Moderator 11 Jan 2013 13:46:24 13,621 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    most of my gaming time is on my daily commute
    and this! Unless you are dragging around your own petrol generator with you, you cannot get the same experience from a home console.

It is for all those times, on the train, on the plane, lunchtime at work, when the TV's are taken by family members, out round town if you are waiting for someone.

The bigger question is do you want to be playing those games vs. mobile games in that scenario.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Psychotext 11 Jan 2013 13:50:43 54,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    No one want's to play an even worse version of assasins creed that they an play on their consoles, .
    It's not, it's a different version. But even if it was, I would. Most of my gaming time is on my daily commute, why should I have to restrict myself to what would traditionally be branded portable games?
    Problem is, the number people who DO want that sort of experience is extremely limited. As evidenced by sales.

I personally only ever wanted bitesize stuff, which is why I had a DS and not a PSP.
  • Gregolution 11 Jan 2013 14:14:04 3,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Psychotext

yeah could be. There might not be enough people, its a much tougher market with phones. I can only hope there are though because I absolutely love this handheld.

I mainly didn't agree with Crispy's 'no one wants' and incorrect example of an identical but worse AC game.
  • Psychotext 20 Jan 2013 14:36:17 54,243 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A Walmart store, no longer selling Vita games (apparently the games are going to other stores that have better luck with them):

Beginning of the end.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 15:42:27
    It's more like the middle of the end.
  • Moot_Point 20 Jan 2013 15:46:12 4,118 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Boab You're in denial, aren't you?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 20 January 2013 15:46:55
    ?
  • Syrette 20 Jan 2013 15:48:27 43,532 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    A Walmart store, no longer selling Vita games (apparently the games are going to other stores that have better luck with them):

Beginning of the end.
    And yet they're still selling PS2 games...

• CosmicFuzz 20 Jan 2013 16:06:57 24,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fact they still make money on PS2 games but can't on vita is even more tragic.

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• jonsaan 20 Jan 2013 16:09:51 25,349 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe they all sold out? :)

The vita is an online system though. In the main. It's no surprise bricks and mortar stores don't want to know. They can't compete with Amazon and the like anyway, so why bother?

FCUTA!

• santashi 20 Jan 2013 16:10:16 5,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That seems more like a statement, unless they're really crap at managing their shelves.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Page

of 12 First / Last