Is PS Vita Dying? Page 9

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• Deleted user 26 November 2012 10:31:11
    +1 to BUY A VITA

@AcidSnake

We've already done the PS Vita has loads of functionality and software to make it a awesome purchase.

Even if Sony pulled the plug on hardware manufacture of it in the next 18months, it will still get PSP and Playstation Mobile games long after that, and all the other functionality makes it a great device in its own right.

The question is moot, the platform's foundations won't die, and neither will it.
  • nickthegun 26 Nov 2012 10:33:21 59,912 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There is nothing a vita does other than, arguably, play games that it does better than an ipod touch or a google nexus. Its peripheral functionality is poor.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• elstoof 26 Nov 2012 10:34:22 7,328 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No I don't have a story like that, because presumably my mum couldn't be fucked to question wether what I said wanted for Christmas was a wise purchase or not and the amount of shit toys that get advertised and sold every year then forgotten about a week later tells me most families are the same.
  • monkman76 26 Nov 2012 10:37:06 4,247 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    There is nothing a vita does other than, arguably, play games that it does better than an ipod touch or a google nexus. Its peripheral functionality is poor.
    Well no, that's obvious. It's a master of one trade, rather than a jack of all.
  • Savatage 26 Nov 2012 10:38:25 38 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    The question is moot, the platform's foundations won't die, and neither will it.
    If you're not worried, why did you get so hysterical and start ranting about "the end of days?"
  • MoGamer2006 26 Nov 2012 10:39:24 975 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Murbal

"Crazy thing is, the Vita thread has twice as many posts as the 3DS one for which the hardware has been out a year longer... "

That's due to the handful of in-denial Vita owners desperately posting and reposting "BUY A VITA!" in the hope they can get their beloved machine off life suppport.

If it wasn't for PS+ (which basically means I don't have to worry about buying games any more) I'd have put mine on eBay this Xmas.

Edited by MoGamer2006 at 10:39:46 26-11-2012
  • Psychotext 26 Nov 2012 10:40:45 54,190 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Yeah Psychotext, put that in your buttock loving pipe and smoke it!
    My pipe has no love of buttocks. How dare you!
  • nickthegun 26 Nov 2012 10:41:29 59,912 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Well no, that's obvious. It's a master of one trade, rather than a jack of all.
    Exactly. Which means that saying 'it has loads of functionality..to make it an awesome purchase' is patently untrue.

• Murbal 26 Nov 2012 10:41:39 22,218 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Yeah Psychotext, put that in your buttock loving pipe and smoke it!
    My pipe has no love of buttocks. How dare you!
    Yeah, we all know he got that the wrong way round.
  • AcidSnake 26 Nov 2012 10:42:20 7,268 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini:
    An awesome purchase?
    I get you like it, as do many others on this thread, but apparently it's not selling for whatever reason...

You'd like to change the thread title so it's more positive as if that would make a difference to prevent "the entirety of gaming" from being destroyed...
    That's idiotic...

And if a parent was to choose which device to get for their child (disregarding elstoof's good point) wouldn't it make sense to choose the device with more of a future? iDevice, Android (or if you think that's not "proper gaming") a 3DS?
    I don't think a collection of older games (however good they are) is the kind of support parents have in mind when they buy a new product...

EDIT: spelling

Edited by AcidSnake at 10:44:11 26-11-2012

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Psychotext 26 Nov 2012 10:45:07 54,190 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, still dead.
  • CannonAnBall 26 Nov 2012 10:47:13 751 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jimmy Saville, still dead
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 10:47:38
    +1 BUY A VITA :)

@nickthegun

It's peripheral functionality has improved massively since launch, but before firmware 2.0 your point was valid.

Firmware 2.0 is a great improvement, and it still has the best screen on a device bar none, and best portable audio/player bar none. And is at a nice middle ground for form factor (phone/tablet) and weight, and can take a few bounces, tested first hand.

Watching videos, using remoteplay for PlayTV, checking football scores while gaming are all great on the device. It is the perfect portable gaming device imo.
  • monkman76 26 Nov 2012 10:50:16 4,247 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    it still has the best screen on a device bar none
    Oh come now, dear vizzini.
  • Phattso Moderator 26 Nov 2012 10:51:26 13,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Actually, I think this thread has opened my eyes. Anyone want to buy a Vita with all the launch games off me? I'll do a good price, I don't need much money for it because I intend to blow it all on 69p fart apps.

I'm doing my bit for the Death of all Gaming. Are you doing yours?
  • Kay 26 Nov 2012 10:51:58 17,885 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Firmware 2.0 is a great improvement, and it still has the best screen on a device bar none, and best portable audio/player bar none.
    No. My Galaxy S3 has a higher-res screen, and is a better media player. I can just drag and drop pretty much any video file onto it without having to convert.

The media side of the Vita is lacking (imo) - I personally don't use it for that, but I'd imagine it could have been a big selling point for the console if it had been done properly.
  • Kay 26 Nov 2012 10:53:09 17,885 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, I'm not sure what FW 2.0 has improved greatly, aside from the browser (which I've never used but apparently it's less shittier than before) and support for PS+.
  • Murbal 26 Nov 2012 10:53:20 22,218 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bah. You have no investment in yours anyway Kay, you never paid for it ;-)
  • Kay 26 Nov 2012 10:55:16 17,885 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But I would have bought one anyway. I really do love mine, it's just that I can see what its flaws are (same with the 3DS), and what has stopped it from doing better than it has.
  • RyanDS 26 Nov 2012 10:56:22 9,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Who cares about media players and such?

It plays Uncharted, Assassins Creed and Super Stardust in my fucking hands on the train!

Focus on more of that please, rather than compete with smartphones which already are better media players.
  • Murbal 26 Nov 2012 10:57:10 22,218 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    But I would have bought one anyway. I really do love mine, it's just that I can see what its flaws are (same with the 3DS), and what has stopped it from doing better than it has.
    I was teasing!
  • mrpon 26 Nov 2012 10:57:55 28,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually (I've never looked) is there a TV out cable for this? Because I'm sure I read the latest firmware supports 1080p videos, which kinds defeats the point if the former isn't available.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Kay 26 Nov 2012 10:58:11 17,885 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Murbal I know. :)
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 11:03:34
    @mrpron

Playing 1080p content on a HD display effectively gives free Anti-aliasing like how the retina display does in the minification process.
  • nickthegun 26 Nov 2012 11:04:42 59,912 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Actually (I've never looked) is there a TV out cable for this?
    PLEASE LOOK FORWARD TO THAT FEATURE IN PS VITA SLIM AND LITE AND XL AND GO

• AcidSnake 26 Nov 2012 11:06:20 7,268 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're priceless...

mrpon wrote:
    Actually (I've never looked) is there a TV out cable for this?
    vizzini wrote:
    @mrpron

Playing 1080p content on a HD display effectively gives free Anti-aliasing like how the retina display does in the minification process.

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• mrpon 26 Nov 2012 11:11:31 28,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, I do all my 1080p gaming on my 20" Schneider TV.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 26 November 2012 11:12:14
    AcidSnake: You're priceless...

Unlike the OLED Vita, which can be had with a game and 4GB memory card for less than half the price of those LCD retina display rip off devices with their piano and fart app, ;)
  • AcidSnake 26 Nov 2012 11:15:09 7,268 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini:
    OK, I'll give you that one :)

Though you're going to have to enlighten me as to what the retina screen is actually ripping off though?

• nickthegun 26 Nov 2012 11:16:03 59,912 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you mean like an 32gb retina iPod touch 5 that costs less than a vita with a comparable official card?

• Page

of 12 First / Last