Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Page 4

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• TarickStonefire 9 Dec 2012 19:05:05 2,665 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    There is a reason those who bought the iPad version haven't posted much.

Ed: Not even to help poor old DaM. Sorry mate, playing a ranger!
    I read that and heard that bully kid from Summer Heights High referring to the ginger kid as a 'rang-er'

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 9 Dec 2012 19:11:11 2,665 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I really wanted to get this but have stayed away for now due to the fact it sounds like one of those PC ports where the PC input roots are painfully apparent. I remember doors and small objects being a pain with a mouse at times.

Basically, everything Phattso said is mostly what I hoped this would side-step a lot of. Might be a good thing though, might make me get it for the Mac instead when that gets approved. Definitely a mouse-and-keyboard sort of game I think.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• munki83 9 Dec 2012 20:20:10 1,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of the new characters seem ok but I have no compulsion to use them. Just about finished the mines and the boss at the end bugged out a little for me bah.
  • Phattso Moderator 10 Dec 2012 02:39:53 12,725 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    The new characters, you have to buy them separately. But then the game itself costs less than half of what the PC version costs, so that's fine by me - especially as I have no interest in the new characters anyhow.
    The PC version costing what it does is pushing the limit of acceptability anyway. It just all rubbed me up the wrong way - they're asking for more money before they've even delivered a proper iPad version. Again, it's not the money per se, just the principle. And Beamdog have mine, so I guess my disappointment doesn't matter a jot to them. :)

I've played and loved my share of games with ropey interfaces or controls *cough*Too Human*cough* so I have no trouble understanding why the rest of the guys are persevering with this. Maybe it's simply that I'm a mobile dev myself, and to see a team make so many fundamental mistakes on the platform rubs me up the wrong way more than it otherwise might.

In my mind I'd envisaged the Baldur's Gate that _I_ would've ported to iPad. You guys would have loved it. Not that it would have helped with my sausage fingers on the iPad Mini. :)
  • Dirtbox 10 Dec 2012 04:09:23 76,342 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's Baldur's game, the controls and mechanics are always going to be clunky and shit.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Phattso Moderator 10 Dec 2012 04:15:03 12,725 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You're missing the point. They had an opportunity to improve on many aspects, they chose not to or they're too shit to realise they could.

I was willing to accept a level of clunkiness, this is some way below that. It doesn't _have_ to be this clunky. They're using the age of the thing as an excuse to not even try. Shame. Missed opportunity - I have zero interest in BG2 or PST coming to iPad if this is the condition they'll arrive in.
  • THFourteen 10 Dec 2012 08:18:40 31,817 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i wish i had more time in my life to play all the games i wanted to play.

just haven't had any time to sink into this.
  • Dirtbox 10 Dec 2012 08:27:59 76,342 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Phattso I'm not missing the point, they had the opportunity to sort out acceptable controls back when they made the original as well. Fact is, they couldn't unclunk their way out of a paper bag.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RyanDS 10 Dec 2012 08:28:21 8,702 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    You're missing the point. They had an opportunity to improve on many aspects, they chose not to or they're too shit to realise they could.

I was willing to accept a level of clunkiness, this is some way below that. It doesn't _have_ to be this clunky. They're using the age of the thing as an excuse to not even try. Shame. Missed opportunity - I have zero interest in BG2 or PST coming to iPad if this is the condition they'll arrive in.
    Genuine question. Given a small team what would you expect from the iPad version?

Personally I was expecting what we got, the old game, with a minor UI overhaul, anything more I would have thought would require rewriting, as opposed to overlaying of code?

Note I know nothing about programming.
  • Stranded87 10 Dec 2012 09:30:17 768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The bugs are the only thing I'm disappointed in, I'm surprised it launched in the state it did- or I would be if it weren't for Bethesda and the like making this acceptable. The actual gameplay I have almost no complaints about, and the few things that I would like to see improved could easily get patched in.

I'd have loved more new content too, but that was never on the cards.

But £7 is a bargain for Baldur's Gate and its expansion on the iPad imo, even if they hadn't added anything to it. The PC price is a bit harder to swallow since the game is already available and mod-able on PC.
  • munki83 10 Dec 2012 10:00:06 1,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The pc version is still good it seems to support my dual monitor set up as my mouse wasn't restricted to the one screen in the original version and the new effects and cut scenes are nice touches. I also think its possible to over mod games. Got past the mines last night so I'm free to take my time adventuring now :D
  • THFourteen 10 Dec 2012 10:02:01 31,817 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i think the reason it launched with so many bugs was to get it out before christmas. the apple store shuts down over christmas i believe and they were cutting it close. they will hopefully iron out the bugs in patches.

i know its not acceptable, but i am happier with that as they will get a few more sales.
  • Phattso Moderator 10 Dec 2012 10:59:33 12,725 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Genuine question. Given a small team what would you expect from the iPad version?

Personally I was expecting what we got, the old game, with a minor UI overhaul, anything more I would have thought would require rewriting, as opposed to overlaying of code?

Note I know nothing about programming.
    I already listed half a dozen tiny trivial things any competent mobile outfit would've done to make it better. Clearly all Beamdog have done is build an Infinity Engine simulator on mobile (and I don't mean to trivialise that particular achievement). We have to tap a button to enable the drag-box-select mode. It's actually a step back from the PC version, and a big one at that given how much selection and order giving has to be done in the heat of combat.

@Dirtbox I'm not disagreeing that the original had a largely bobbins interface. But that was 12+ years ago now. It was a different universe in terms of what makes an acceptable UI/UX and what doesn't. There's no excuse, in 2012, for a team to not be able to get that interface working better, even under effective emulation, on the iPad.

I don't wanna be "that" guy in the thread though. I've said my piece and, barring the suggestions I've made being patched in, I'll not be going back to any of Beamdog's efforts on the iPad again.
  • RyanDS 10 Dec 2012 11:10:55 8,702 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

We have to tap a button to enable the drag-box-select mode. It's actually a step back from the PC version, and a big one at that given how much selection and order giving has to be done in the heat of combat.

How else would you do that though? If you used multitouch to do selection then you would lose out the pinch to zoom function.

And given the choice personally I would rather have the pinch zoom function to make clicking on things easier.
  • THFourteen 10 Dec 2012 11:29:15 31,817 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Phattso "Clearly all Beamdog have done is build an Infinity Engine simulator on mobile (and I don't mean to trivialise that particular achievement"

Actually thats the bit you SHOULD trivialise, gemRB has been happily running baldurs gate games on ipad for the last year or so, and runs all the mods and is community created.
  • Phattso Moderator 10 Dec 2012 12:34:43 12,725 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    How else would you do that though? If you used multitouch to do selection then you would lose out the pinch to zoom function.

And given the choice personally I would rather have the pinch zoom function to make clicking on things easier.
    Not at all. A pinch to zoom gesture has two fingers going in different directions. A drag gesture has two fingers going in the same direction - it's trivial to distinguish the two and for me would be nice to have even just as an option with the button as a fallback.

I only know this because I've implemented a feature in an app that did exactly what I'm describing. :)

As for the previous emulation efforts - getting it running on a tablet with any sort of stability is some distance removed from a desktop environment. There are problems that you can't even imagine.

/edit: didn't see you mention the bit that had it running already. Wow - if that's true (and the other solution is stable - is it?) then Beamdog are double fuckers. :)

I applaud the technical accomplishment, but whomever does their UI/UX work (if anyone) should be taken out back and 'retired'. ;)

Edited by Phattso at 12:36:15 10-12-2012
  • Load_2.0 10 Dec 2012 12:57:53 18,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I put in about 7 hours on Sunday, I wanted to save it till the downtime over Christmas but at this rate I will have crushed it before Christmas eve.
  • JayG 10 Dec 2012 13:07:16 828 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is gemRB any good? Getting an Ipad this xmas, so that sounds right up my alley.
  • marilena 10 Dec 2012 13:25:02 8,198 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    The new characters, you have to buy them separately. But then the game itself costs less than half of what the PC version costs, so that's fine by me - especially as I have no interest in the new characters anyhow.
    I was actually glad to hear that you have to pay for the new characters. Initially I worried that they would be integrated into the game in a way that makes them unavoidable. And I want to avoid them :).

Not that I've bought the game yet. I will, one day, but for now there are a few IPad games that interest me more (as soon as I finish LostWinds 2, I'll probably get Waking Mars; unless some other game distracts me by being on sale or something).

/stealth "I just got an IPad!" post

Edited by marilena at 13:26:58 10-12-2012
  • RyanDS 10 Dec 2012 13:27:11 8,702 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JayG wrote:
    Is gemRB any good? Getting an Ipad this xmas, so that sounds right up my alley.
    You need to jailbreak the iPad unfortunately.
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Dec 2012 13:29:01 35,172 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @marilena I have to admit I didn't like Waking Mars´all that much. I thought their other iOS game (Spider) was much better.
  • Stranded87 10 Dec 2012 13:33:16 768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gemRB doesn't control anywhere near as well imo anyway, since it still essentially uses a mouse/cursor- just one that you have to drag around with your finger.

Unless you really want the mods and/or can't stomach £7 for Beamdog's version i'd stick with the Enhanced Edition.

Edit: Saying all that I haven't tried the gemRB version in ages, so for all I know it might be better now.

Edited by Stranded87 at 13:33:54 10-12-2012
  • JayG 10 Dec 2012 13:35:19 828 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm definitely getting this christmas day, but was wondering about Planescape and BG2.
  • marilena 10 Dec 2012 14:07:27 8,198 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    @marilena I have to admit I didn't like Waking Mars´all that much. I thought their other iOS game (Spider) was much better.
    Having not played it, I can't comment. But, based on what I've read so far, it feels like a game I should try.

I'm in the honeymoon period with my IPad, so for now I'm looking mostly at platform exclusives*. But I imagine I'll fall back to Baldur's Gate and Final Fantasy Tactics soon enough :p.

* Waking Mars is no longer exclusive, but it was originally made for iOS...
  • RyanDS 10 Dec 2012 14:07:32 8,702 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I forgot just how many NPCs there were in this game! I'm having a nervous break down trying to decide between them all!
  • Stranded87 10 Dec 2012 20:48:16 768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This game holds up even better than I expected, it's keeping me from Far Cry 3.
  • THFourteen 11 Dec 2012 07:48:16 31,817 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So i played through to beregost last night just to see whether people were moaning about this with good reason.

I found it extremely playable and not a single crash. Ample use of the pause button and zooming in on fights and looting is necessary, but other than that its fine. I didnt have problems entering buildings, talking to people or

I do agree that to newcomers its nigh on impossible to work out how to play, however no more impossible than it was back in the day and i managed to learn it!

if you long press on spells it gives you the description, cant remember who was having an issue with that.
  • RyanDS 11 Dec 2012 08:35:27 8,702 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished the mines last night, so now I can relax and explore. Stopped last night as I was torn between keeping the guy you get in the mines or refusing him entry to the party.

In general I am finding it all works great, with the exception that casting spells in battle often just doesn't work. Plus Imoen keeps moving to shoot from point blank range. Stupid bint, it's called a RANGED weapon for a reason.

Edit:

Saying that I am still loving it, an easy 8/10 maybe even a 9/10. World is a bit more barren than I remember, but in general it is awesome and I am very very excited for the even better part 2.

Edited by RyanDS at 08:36:42 11-12-2012
  • dominalien 11 Dec 2012 08:52:18 6,742 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Almost got this on the iPad last night, even despite all the bad press it's been having, but luckily noticed beforehand iPad 1 was not supported, at least not yet.

They're very sneaky about it though; it says "compatible with iPad", but then they say "requires iOS 6.0", which basically rules the 1st one out. I wonder what features in the game require the newest OS version. They probably simply wanted to restrict initial testing to the newer hardware and software, in order to put it out more quickly.

Edit: grammar. Sequence of tenses strikes back!

Edited by dominalien at 08:53:12 11-12-2012

PSN: DonOsito

• Zizoo 11 Dec 2012 08:55:48 7,713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shit. I was about to buy it for my iPad 1! Good spot...
  • Page

of 7 First / Last