• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • Edwannawonga 20 Jun 2013 19:03:43 330 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/20/yikes-baldurs-gate-enhanced-pulled-bgii-on-hold/

BGE pulled due to contractual... Complications.

BG2E's future doubtful.
    It'll be back I reckon.
    Damn! Was kinda looking forward to taking my character through the Enhanced series.

Guess I'll just have to install the Tutu mod.

Edited by Edwannawonga at 19:09:35 20-06-2013
  • onestepfromlost 20 Jun 2013 19:10:46 2,043 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    to be honest I just started over a trilogy campaign again, using the original with BGT, much prefer that and installing numerous other mods. Just didn't feel there was enough in EE to justify it.
  • MIckelsenWhiteLTD 2 Jul 2013 20:19:54 57 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is sale on Steam again. 3.74
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jan 2014 06:18:34 7,169 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finally playing it now. I gave up waiting for it to come out on android and got the pc version.

I'm going to try an evil playthrough. Even with a good character I still loot the houses of innocents, but at least now I'll have an alignment that suits it. And be able to recruit Edwin without him moaning all the time about my reputation.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Jan 2014 00:49:27 7,169 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, this evil business is fairly difficult. Completing quests more often gets you more xp and more money if you do it the "good" way, giving me reputation points that are a pain to get rid of.

In one quest I ended up having to fetch some woman's ring, return it to her for the xp, then murder her and take the ring back so my reputation is maintained.

It would have been nice if I didn't have to kill her, but returning the ring was the only way to get the bloody quest out of my journal.
  • DanB24 26 Jan 2014 19:19:00 1,829 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was enjoying the story but got frustrated admittedly by the not very enhanced version so am going with this one instead. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-06-baldurs-gate-remade-in-3d-as-a-free-neverwinter-nights-2-mod

By todays standards yes it's old school too but less so.
  • JoeBlade 27 Jan 2014 04:23:26 2,513 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Well, this evil business is fairly difficult. Completing quests more often gets you more xp and more money if you do it the "good" way, giving me reputation points that are a pain to get rid of.
    That's almost a trademark of western RPGs, isn't it? A few reward neutral routes equally or don't have a clear cut good/evil morality system at all but otherwise playing evil seems a self-imposed added challenge more than anything else.

Evil usually being synonym for psychotic/criminally insane doesn't help. I always expected that route to be about deceiving people into serving your purposes rather than randomly murdering innocents but game designers seem to disagree...

Edited by JoeBlade at 04:23:36 27-01-2014
  • Mola_Ram 27 Jan 2014 05:21:03 7,169 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Some games have done it well. The Mass Effect series, for one (well, Renegade isn't technically *evil*, more of a "I will get shit done and don't care if people think I'm an asshole" kind of deal, but still)

It's also very doable in KOTOR, Dragon Age, etc, in that it feels like a legitimate, viable alternative to being a goody-two-shoes.

But BG? No, not really.

I am Lawful Evil in this run. Which technically means that I should be able to do things to build a good reputation, while working behind the scenes to concoct dastardly plans and such. But my companions do not see this distinction, and moan if my reputation goes up by even one point. In this game, Lawful Evil apparently means "slightly less evil than Chaotic Evil". Which is not how it should be.

It's probably the most difficult alignment to play as (well, apart from Neutral, which would be very tricky to roleplay properly). At least if I were Chaotic Evil, murdering random people would make sense.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Jan 2014 05:32:28 7,169 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyway, I have added a mod to the game that removes the ridiculous price markups that shops give low-reputation characters, instead having equivalent discounts that high rep characters get. Which makes perfect sense - fear should result in discounts just as much as respect. :)
  • Mola_Ram 29 Jan 2014 06:01:48 7,169 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fucking hell.

Just entered Baldur's Gate docks district with a reputation of 6. Soon as I enter, some fucker decides to attack me because I'm evil, etc, etc. There is no option to resolve this peacefully, so my party quickly kills him.

Reputation -2
    Journal entry: I have forged a dark path for myself, and all who oppose me shall tremble at my growing power.

wtf? HE attacked ME. Now I'm even more fucking despised, just because I defended myself. I mean, I understand being hated and understand that goody-goodys will want to kill me, but the extra reputation loss is just silly.
  • onestepfromlost 29 Jan 2014 10:12:24 2,043 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah as far as I remember in the first game with a low rep you will keep getting attacked by random flaming fist guys IIRC. Makes your point about evil playthrough even more apparent.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Jan 2014 10:34:27 7,169 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Don't get me wrong, it's worth all the bullshit to have Dorn and Edwin and Viconia and all the rest in the party. It's just a bit silly. They definitely got better at handling alignment stuff in later games.
  • docrob 29 Jan 2014 12:08:33 289 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Playing through the first right now as a Sorcerer. Have a party of Ajantis, Minsc, Branwen, Imoen and Dynaheir. Happy with this, but I'd enjoy it more if it were easier to swap characters in and out of the party so that I can try things out. The 'right' way seems to be to grab your optimal party ASAP so that they don't end up with pointless proficiencies - plus if you experiment with a swap or two, your first choices will fall behind in experience. I had Minsc at level 1 with everyone else at 2 or 3 for a while, and keeping him alive was a real ballache.

I was intending to carry my old character across to BG2, but it may be too tempting to reroll.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next